Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

Originally Posted by DaJoka004

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

"if anyone was offended"

"if we failed"

indifferent.gif
You're reaching. 
How is he reaching? I'm pretty sure he's pointing out that there is no "if" about it. They did offend and they did fail. It's a weak apology where they still refuse to completely take blame.

Originally Posted by ATGD7154xBBxMZ

"if anyone was offended"

"if we failed"

indifferent.gif
You're reaching. 
How is he reaching? I'm pretty sure he's pointing out that there is no "if" about it. They did offend and they did fail. It's a weak apology where they still refuse to completely take blame.
I just feel being offended over this is absurd. 
I'm Jewish. If Lin were a Jew and they put a Star of David chocolate piece in some Ben and Jerry's ice cream, I wouldn't be remotely offended.

"if anyone was offended"

"if we failed"

indifferent.gif
You're reaching. 
I'm Jewish. If Lin were a Jew and they put a Star of David chocolate piece in some Ben and Jerry's ice cream, I wouldn't be remotely offended.

You're reaching. 
You speaking for the entire Jewish population?
The point is, it's enough that even a small portion of the population is offended for it to be inappropriate. Ben and Jerry's is a big business, they should have known better.

You're reaching. 
The point is, it's enough that even a small portion of the population is offended for it to be inappropriate. Ben and Jerry's is a big business, they should have known better.

You're reaching. 
You can't dictate who should and shouldn't be offended over something by using a hypothetical for your religion/ethnicity/race. It doesn't work that way.

You're reaching. 
You can't dictate who should and shouldn't be offended over something by using a hypothetical for your religion/ethnicity/race. It doesn't work that way.

Being that dude is of Taiwanese/Chinese descent, adding something americans identify with that culture seems fine to me, would be no different if for instance they made it lychee flavored to me or something. Of all the stupid +%*% i think this is reaching. If somebody made a mango flavored ice cream in my honor i'd be delighted. But it's not my culture, so who am i to say really. Probably should've consulted with him though.

Being that dude is of Taiwanese/Chinese descent, adding something americans identify with that culture seems fine to me, would be no different if for instance they made it lychee flavored to me or something. Of all the stupid +%*% i think this is reaching. If somebody made a mango flavored ice cream in my honor i'd be delighted. But it's not my culture, so who am i to say really. Probably should've consulted with him though.

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

the point is somewhere, someone is ALWAYS gonna be offended...thats the way this PC world is...tough cookies
some have used it to their gain, whether it be a friv lawsuit or as mentioned above ":tongue:ulling out my fob card"...whatever...

the pussification of society is something that you just have to get used to...

i mean, honestly, there are bigger fish to fry than ice cream, but if you feel that strongly about it, its ur time, not mine

ex - here in the bay, the harry lew case is getting some pub...

as a minority and being prior service, kid did it to himself...HE FELL ASLEEP ON GUARD DUTY IN A COMBAT ZONE...deserved to be hazed for that...what he chose to do after that is on him, and it looks like the court martials argee...this was played as a racial thing, and yes part of the hazing obvs incl his background, but it wouldnt have been as bad if he followed his gen orders (something the media conveniently leaves out, or includes in the small print)

imo issues like that need attn

ima keep movin

Originally Posted by Boys Noize

the point is somewhere, someone is ALWAYS gonna be offended...thats the way this PC world is...tough cookies
some have used it to their gain, whether it be a friv lawsuit or as mentioned above ":tongue:ulling out my fob card"...whatever...

the pussification of society is something that you just have to get used to...

i mean, honestly, there are bigger fish to fry than ice cream, but if you feel that strongly about it, its ur time, not mine

ex - here in the bay, the harry lew case is getting some pub...

as a minority and being prior service, kid did it to himself...HE FELL ASLEEP ON GUARD DUTY IN A COMBAT ZONE...deserved to be hazed for that...what he chose to do after that is on him, and it looks like the court martials argee...this was played as a racial thing, and yes part of the hazing obvs incl his background, but it wouldnt have been as bad if he followed his gen orders (something the media conveniently leaves out, or includes in the small print)

imo issues like that need attn

ima keep movin

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Updated: February 26, 2012, 8:55 AM ET

[h2]Ben & Jerry's sorry for fortune cookies[/h2]

ESPN.com news services

Ben & Jerry's, the iconic ice cream brand famous for flavors borrowed from all bands of the culinary spectrum, has apologized for including fortune cookies in its "Taste the Lin-Sanity" frozen yogurt sold at a Harvard Square location in Boston.

The Vermont-founded company has replaced the fortune cookies in its honey-swirl, Jeremy Lin-inspired variety with waffle cones.

"We offer a heartfelt apology if anyone was offended by our handmade Lin-Sanity flavor," Ben & Jerry's said in a statement.

Lin, the New York Knicks point guard who shot to NBA stardom this month after spurring a win streak in the absence of Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire, played four seasons for the Harvard Crimson before turning pro in 2010.

"We are proud and honored to have Jeremy Lin hail from one of our fine, local universities and we are huge sports fans," Ben & Jerry's said in the news release. "Our intention was to create a flavor to honor Jeremy Lin's accomplishments and his meteoric rise in the NBA, and recognize that he was a local Harvard graduate.

"We try (to) demonstrate our commitment as a Boston-based, valued-led business and if we failed in this instance we offer our sincere apologies."

Those damn fortune cookies are as Chinese as Jeremy. 
As an American-Chinese, i'm offended this wasn't publicized more before I had a chance to try what sounds like a pretty damn good flavor.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Updated: February 26, 2012, 8:55 AM ET

[h2]Ben & Jerry's sorry for fortune cookies[/h2]

ESPN.com news services

Ben & Jerry's, the iconic ice cream brand famous for flavors borrowed from all bands of the culinary spectrum, has apologized for including fortune cookies in its "Taste the Lin-Sanity" frozen yogurt sold at a Harvard Square location in Boston.

The Vermont-founded company has replaced the fortune cookies in its honey-swirl, Jeremy Lin-inspired variety with waffle cones.

"We offer a heartfelt apology if anyone was offended by our handmade Lin-Sanity flavor," Ben & Jerry's said in a statement.

Lin, the New York Knicks point guard who shot to NBA stardom this month after spurring a win streak in the absence of Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire, played four seasons for the Harvard Crimson before turning pro in 2010.

"We are proud and honored to have Jeremy Lin hail from one of our fine, local universities and we are huge sports fans," Ben & Jerry's said in the news release. "Our intention was to create a flavor to honor Jeremy Lin's accomplishments and his meteoric rise in the NBA, and recognize that he was a local Harvard graduate.

"We try (to) demonstrate our commitment as a Boston-based, valued-led business and if we failed in this instance we offer our sincere apologies."

Those damn fortune cookies are as Chinese as Jeremy. 
As an American-Chinese, i'm offended this wasn't publicized more before I had a chance to try what sounds like a pretty damn good flavor.

You're reaching. 
So what about this: I'm white. I wouldn't care about 90% of the things that any minority gets offended by. Does that mean they don't have the right to be offended? I get to dictate what offends somebody?

Every situation is different. The reason Asian-Americans coalesced around Jeremy Lin so much is because Asian-Americans don't have any representation in the public unless it's a walking stereotype. Then Jeremy Lin comes along and Ben & Jerrys, one of the biggest ice cream brands in America, puts fortune cookies in a ice cream under his name. That doesn't mean every Asian-American is or should be offended by it, just that some will and it's understandable why given the context. Not a smart move by Ben & Jerrys.

You're reaching. 
So what about this: I'm white. I wouldn't care about 90% of the things that any minority gets offended by. Does that mean they don't have the right to be offended? I get to dictate what offends somebody?

Every situation is different. The reason Asian-Americans coalesced around Jeremy Lin so much is because Asian-Americans don't have any representation in the public unless it's a walking stereotype. Then Jeremy Lin comes along and Ben & Jerrys, one of the biggest ice cream brands in America, puts fortune cookies in a ice cream under his name. That doesn't mean every Asian-American is or should be offended by it, just that some will and it's understandable why given the context. Not a smart move by Ben & Jerrys.

I love how some white folks are quick to jump in here to tell us not to be offended by stuff like this, then u have the other white people posting and PMing me about how supporting Lin solely based on his race is racist (what?
laugh.gif
)

dudes even had the audacity to argue that the espn pun/headline was not done with racist intentions and that we're overreacting.

%!@@ outta here and don't stick your noses in other people's business, then again most Americans are like this.

I love how some white folks are quick to jump in here to tell us not to be offended by stuff like this, then u have the other white people posting and PMing me about how supporting Lin solely based on his race is racist (what?
laugh.gif
)

dudes even had the audacity to argue that the espn pun/headline was not done with racist intentions and that we're overreacting.

%!@@ outta here and don't stick your noses in other people's business, then again most Americans are like this.

Some white ppl are oblivious to racism like that. They grow up with that kind of perception due to lack of experience. So when they flip flop like that I understand that they simply don't understand what it's like. They can imagine and what not but it isn't the same.

Some white ppl are oblivious to racism like that. They grow up with that kind of perception due to lack of experience. So when they flip flop like that I understand that they simply don't understand what it's like. They can imagine and what not but it isn't the same.

A lot of people are getting caught up because they don't how to act with this Lin situation. America has the least experience with Asians, so people are acting out of ignorance. Im sure Ben and Jerrys didn't mean to be racist or stereotypical, they probably brushed it off as no big deal in the beginning, not knowing how offensive it may be. Just like that new high school football player tweet, now his twitter is deleted last time i checked. Lin media is putting a lot of people in check.

A lot of people are getting caught up because they don't how to act with this Lin situation. America has the least experience with Asians, so people are acting out of ignorance. Im sure Ben and Jerrys didn't mean to be racist or stereotypical, they probably brushed it off as no big deal in the beginning, not knowing how offensive it may be. Just like that new high school football player tweet, now his twitter is deleted last time i checked. Lin media is putting a lot of people in check.

Back
Top Bottom