Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

Originally Posted by acidicality

laugh.gif
I don't know...just my opinion, but green tea or lychee flavor (or even some sort of milk tea ice cream thing) don't feel negative at all to me- it feels more of a legit homage to his culture...while fortune cookies don't at all. I just feel that fortune cookies depict stereotypes b/c it's not even an Asian thing as Sea man mentioned. I mean, if it didn't depict anything bad, Ben and Jerry's wouldn't have apologized for it...I hope someone else can back me up on this
laugh.gif

Speaking of milk tea ice cream, milk tea+ vanilla ice cream is absolutely
eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
. I spent a summer in Taiwan interning a few years ago, and a lot of milk tea spots had them for  $1.50
pimp.gif

I just never knew there were/are any negative stereotypes regarding fortune cookies and chinese/asian people (other than people who think all asians everywhere have fortune cookies). Unlike black people and fried chicken and watermellons, which is and has always been seen as offensive. 
that flavor sounds 
pimp.gif
 ill have to look out for it sometime, was it a packaged ice cream or a home made flavor?

laugh.gif
I don't know...just my opinion, but green tea or lychee flavor (or even some sort of milk tea ice cream thing) don't feel negative at all to me- it feels more of a legit homage to his culture...while fortune cookies don't at all. I just feel that fortune cookies depict stereotypes b/c it's not even an Asian thing as Sea man mentioned. I mean, if it didn't depict anything bad, Ben and Jerry's wouldn't have apologized for it...I hope someone else can back me up on this
laugh.gif

eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
. I spent a summer in Taiwan interning a few years ago, and a lot of milk tea spots had them for  $1.50
pimp.gif

I just never knew there were/are any negative stereotypes regarding fortune cookies and chinese/asian people (other than people who think all asians everywhere have fortune cookies). Unlike black people and fried chicken and watermellons, which is and has always been seen as offensive. 
that flavor sounds 
pimp.gif
 ill have to look out for it sometime, was it a packaged ice cream or a home made flavor?

Originally Posted by LuckyP90

Originally Posted by red mpls

Originally Posted by xilegacy

wow
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I'm very interested to know how my Asian American brothers (and sisters) feel about this video...
This video too. It's a comedic sports talk show in Australia.
also the uk is extremely racist towards asians. They have professional soccer announcers who call the japanese players "***" or "****". When team usa were playing japan last year the english announcer refered to a player as a "***" player. this was on american broadcast tv aswell and i was shocked nothing was mentioned about this in the media...

Originally Posted by LuckyP90

Originally Posted by red mpls

Originally Posted by xilegacy

wow
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

I'm very interested to know how my Asian American brothers (and sisters) feel about this video...
This video too. It's a comedic sports talk show in Australia.
also the uk is extremely racist towards asians. They have professional soccer announcers who call the japanese players "***" or "****". When team usa were playing japan last year the english announcer refered to a player as a "***" player. this was on american broadcast tv aswell and i was shocked nothing was mentioned about this in the media...

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 I was there for the entire summer of 2010. I know what you mean, it's good stuff.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

eek.gif
eek.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
 I was there for the entire summer of 2010. I know what you mean, it's good stuff.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

I'd say thats more ignorant than racist.

Pundits get offed with the quickness when they say something out of line here in the UK. So thats probably just been completely over looked.

Pundits get offed with the quickness when they say something out of line here in the UK. So thats probably just been completely over looked.

Lin should have a great career with NY...with Melo & SToudamire drawing double teams Lin should get some great looks

Lin should have a great career with NY...with Melo & SToudamire drawing double teams Lin should get some great looks

Originally Posted by Smedroc

I was about to say the same. Andy Gray got sacked for OFF-AIR comments about female officials...and UK soccer is extra strict towards racism. John Terry is being investigated by the POLICE for allegedly making a racist comment
laugh.gif

Also, "***" is seen differently throughout the world

In the United States, Japanese Americans have come to find the term controversial or offensive, even when used as an abbreviation.[sup][1][/sup] In the past, *** was not considered primarily offensive; however, during and after the events of World War II, the term became derogatory.[sup][2][/sup]

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, "***" as an abbreviation for "Japanese" was in colloquial use in London around 1880.[sup][3][/sup]

In Singapore[sup][11][/sup] and Hong Kong,[sup][12][/sup] the term is used freely as a contraction of the adjective "Japanese" rather than as a derogatory term. The Brazilian equivalent japa is also non-derogatory (although widely considered a slang term) and sometimes used in mass media and by Japanese Brazilian population itself. The Australian news service Asia Pulse also uses the term.[sup][13][/sup] In 1970, the Japanese fashion designer Kenzo Takada opened the "Jungle ***" boutique in Paris.[sup][14][/sup]
[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/***#cite_note-3

[/sup]

Originally Posted by Smedroc

I was about to say the same. Andy Gray got sacked for OFF-AIR comments about female officials...and UK soccer is extra strict towards racism. John Terry is being investigated by the POLICE for allegedly making a racist comment
laugh.gif

Also, "***" is seen differently throughout the world

In the United States, Japanese Americans have come to find the term controversial or offensive, even when used as an abbreviation.[sup][1][/sup] In the past, *** was not considered primarily offensive; however, during and after the events of World War II, the term became derogatory.[sup][2][/sup]

According to the Oxford English Dictionary, "***" as an abbreviation for "Japanese" was in colloquial use in London around 1880.[sup][3][/sup]

In Singapore[sup][11][/sup] and Hong Kong,[sup][12][/sup] the term is used freely as a contraction of the adjective "Japanese" rather than as a derogatory term. The Brazilian equivalent japa is also non-derogatory (although widely considered a slang term) and sometimes used in mass media and by Japanese Brazilian population itself. The Australian news service Asia Pulse also uses the term.[sup][13][/sup] In 1970, the Japanese fashion designer Kenzo Takada opened the "Jungle ***" boutique in Paris.[sup][14][/sup]
[sup]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/***#cite_note-3

[/sup]

I'm interested to see what Lin can do matched up against on ball defenders like Rondo, Paul, Teague, Tony Allen, etc. Those are a good group of players but it is obvious the Heat exposed his weakness. As much of a great story it is, I think he gives the Knicks a sense of false hope. You need defense to win championships. Jeremy Lin does not have that, nor Melo. Iman Shupert does and so does Chandler, so those guys need to get more time in games against better opponents (i.e. Heat) if they expect to make a playoff run.

Also, I disagree with Lin in that interview when he says he was overlooked because of "the way he looks." It was actually his first answer and I find that wrong in many ways.

Back
Top Bottom