Official Jeremy Lin Thread.

Originally Posted by NobleKane

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

^ They do.

But when the underdog is suddenly and constantly thrown in the same company as some of the best ever do it, yeah, that irks a few people.
laugh.gif
Okay, a lot of people.

Like me. And I enjoy what Lin's doing, but the criticism/backlash against the sensationalism and hype has nothing to do with rooting for the underdog. Don't get it twisted.

qft
completely agree

if yall really think Lin is ONLY considered an underdog because of his school/route to the NBA and NOT because he's Asian as well then you're in denial.

Floyd's opinion was delivered terribly and not politically correct but the part I agree with is why is he getting crucified for expressing his opinion when ESPN guys and the NBA commentators are mentioning Lin's race JUST as much

Mayweather's history of racial remarks just makes him look like an idiot but I don't think this particular comment was anywhere near as offensive as people are taking it

Originally Posted by NobleKane

^ They do.

But when the underdog is suddenly and constantly thrown in the same company as some of the best ever do it, yeah, that irks a few people.
laugh.gif
Okay, a lot of people.

Like me. And I enjoy what Lin's doing, but the criticism/backlash against the sensationalism and hype has nothing to do with rooting for the underdog. Don't get it twisted.

qft
completely agree

if yall really think Lin is ONLY considered an underdog because of his school/route to the NBA and NOT because he's Asian as well then you're in denial.

Floyd's opinion was delivered terribly and not politically correct but the part I agree with is why is he getting crucified for expressing his opinion when ESPN guys and the NBA commentators are mentioning Lin's race JUST as much

Mayweather's history of racial remarks just makes him look like an idiot but I don't think this particular comment was anywhere near as offensive as people are taking it

Originally Posted by TheWindScar31

What's got mayweather trippin. dang.

Just trying to build hype. Trying to get more ratings from people who wants to see him lose. Bad guys in wrestling do the same thing before big PPVs. 

Originally Posted by TheWindScar31

What's got mayweather trippin. dang.

Just trying to build hype. Trying to get more ratings from people who wants to see him lose. Bad guys in wrestling do the same thing before big PPVs. 

Originally Posted by VA757VA

dyyhard:
I don't see why i can't make the comparison.
No one should ever be compared to a similar black person right in the middle of the civil rights movement, uless the protégé/doppelgänger is also experiencing EXTREME racism, hate, and frequent bodily harm.

I'm saying..lol...fam really took BLACK players in the 50s nd compared them to lin..is lin a pioneer for others to follow in his footsteps in the future? Yes...that's where the comparison stops..not even gOing down that road bro, lets just keep it on bbaAnd one again..yall seem to have more of a problem with who said sumn(PBF) vs what's being said...cats in this very thread, 3 years ago when he was struggling to make the league cats in this very thread was saying us good that an asian player is on, glad an asian made it, etc...now all of a sudden were all color blind? Lin is beasting...but if u don't think race affects his celebrity your not looking at this objectively...
first, I was taking Mayweather's look at me comment and twisted it to see how lame it really is...
in terms of minority percentage of the nba you can compare asians to those in the 50s....i never brought up political, social climate. i only referred to percentage makeup of race.

"he's the minority now and so were black players back then." - that's my quote, read it again if you have to.

now if really want to bring socio-political climate in....then my hypothetical quote if said in the 50s would probably be considered racist

"Don Barksdale's only hyped cus he's black....white players do the same thing every night, but don't get the same praise."
but if Mayweather says something similar in the 2012, then it isn't...

but coming from a guy who said this earlier about another asian pacific islander ----

"I'm on vacation for about a year, about a year. "As soon as we come off vacation, we're going to cook that little yellow chump. We ain't worried about that. So they ain't gotta worry about me fighting the ******. Once I kick the ****** *#@, I don't want you all to jump on my d---. So you all better get on the bandwagon now. ... Once I stomp the ******, I'll make that mother f----- make me a sushi roll and cook me some rice."

you can't help but to think of his motives/mindset.

"EXTREME racism, hate"

i always find it funny when people try categorize levels of racism and hate. To me it comes from the same place and has the same effect from bottom to top.

Originally Posted by VA757VA

dyyhard:
No one should ever be compared to a similar black person right in the middle of the civil rights movement, uless the protégé/doppelgänger is also experiencing EXTREME racism, hate, and frequent bodily harm.

I'm saying..lol...fam really took BLACK players in the 50s nd compared them to lin..is lin a pioneer for others to follow in his footsteps in the future? Yes...that's where the comparison stops..not even gOing down that road bro, lets just keep it on bbaAnd one again..yall seem to have more of a problem with who said sumn(PBF) vs what's being said...cats in this very thread, 3 years ago when he was struggling to make the league cats in this very thread was saying us good that an asian player is on, glad an asian made it, etc...now all of a sudden were all color blind? Lin is beasting...but if u don't think race affects his celebrity your not looking at this objectively...
first, I was taking Mayweather's look at me comment and twisted it to see how lame it really is...
in terms of minority percentage of the nba you can compare asians to those in the 50s....i never brought up political, social climate. i only referred to percentage makeup of race.

"he's the minority now and so were black players back then." - that's my quote, read it again if you have to.

now if really want to bring socio-political climate in....then my hypothetical quote if said in the 50s would probably be considered racist

"Don Barksdale's only hyped cus he's black....white players do the same thing every night, but don't get the same praise."
but if Mayweather says something similar in the 2012, then it isn't...

but coming from a guy who said this earlier about another asian pacific islander ----

"I'm on vacation for about a year, about a year. "As soon as we come off vacation, we're going to cook that little yellow chump. We ain't worried about that. So they ain't gotta worry about me fighting the ******. Once I kick the ****** *#@, I don't want you all to jump on my d---. So you all better get on the bandwagon now. ... Once I stomp the ******, I'll make that mother f----- make me a sushi roll and cook me some rice."

you can't help but to think of his motives/mindset.

"EXTREME racism, hate"

i always find it funny when people try categorize levels of racism and hate. To me it comes from the same place and has the same effect from bottom to top.

MaxElite:
Call me when Anthony Morrow does this.

2u44v3b.jpg
How many points did he score in his first 4 games in the league? Uh-oh, looks like he's not in the same company as those other 3 after all.
wink.gif

So by posting that stat, I'm putting Lin in the same class as those guys? Ok dude
laugh.gif

MaxElite:
Call me when Anthony Morrow does this.

2u44v3b.jpg
How many points did he score in his first 4 games in the league? Uh-oh, looks like he's not in the same company as those other 3 after all.
wink.gif

So by posting that stat, I'm putting Lin in the same class as those guys? Ok dude
laugh.gif

dyyhard:
I couldn't agree more with this statement.
pimp.gif

dyyhard:
pimp.gif

http://philadelphia.cbslo...nsanity-has-been-ruined/
[h1]Spike Eskin Says: My Linsanity Has Been Ruined[/h1]

By Spike Eskin

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Discover. Share. Sensationalize. Debunk. Destroy.

That’s the 72 hour cycle that most interesting news stories follow, and the cycle that that has ruined the Jeremy Lin story for me in about a week.

Discover. By any account, the tale is a pretty amazing one. He played at Harvard, because his home town Stanford wasn’t really interested. He went un-drafted and was cut by two NBA teams, got his accidental chance in the country’s largest market, and scored a record number of points while leading the team, minus its two biggest stars, on a winning streak. Oh by the way, the guy’s Chinese, which if you haven’t noticed, isn’t particularly prevalent in the NBA. He’s sleeping on his brother’s couch, because he wasn’t sure if the Knicks would keep him on the roster. To top it off, by almost every account Lin is a good person.

Share. Nothing about that story isn’t amazing. So incredible in fact, I found myself cheering for him and the Knicks one night as Lin out-dueled Kobe Bryant. I dislike the Knicks with every ounce of my soul, but the world seemed like it’d be a better place if Lin and the Knicks won that game.

And then there was trouble.

Sensationalize. Instead of appreciating the story for what it was, the hype machine took over. They couldn’t keep the jersey on the shelves. The price of autographed Lin memorabilia went through the roof. The question actually started to be asked “what happens when Carmelo Anthony comes back?

http://philadelphia.cbslo...nsanity-has-been-ruined/
[h1]Spike Eskin Says: My Linsanity Has Been Ruined[/h1]

By Spike Eskin

PHILADELPHIA (CBS) – Discover. Share. Sensationalize. Debunk. Destroy.

That’s the 72 hour cycle that most interesting news stories follow, and the cycle that that has ruined the Jeremy Lin story for me in about a week.

Discover. By any account, the tale is a pretty amazing one. He played at Harvard, because his home town Stanford wasn’t really interested. He went un-drafted and was cut by two NBA teams, got his accidental chance in the country’s largest market, and scored a record number of points while leading the team, minus its two biggest stars, on a winning streak. Oh by the way, the guy’s Chinese, which if you haven’t noticed, isn’t particularly prevalent in the NBA. He’s sleeping on his brother’s couch, because he wasn’t sure if the Knicks would keep him on the roster. To top it off, by almost every account Lin is a good person.

Share. Nothing about that story isn’t amazing. So incredible in fact, I found myself cheering for him and the Knicks one night as Lin out-dueled Kobe Bryant. I dislike the Knicks with every ounce of my soul, but the world seemed like it’d be a better place if Lin and the Knicks won that game.

And then there was trouble.

Sensationalize. Instead of appreciating the story for what it was, the hype machine took over. They couldn’t keep the jersey on the shelves. The price of autographed Lin memorabilia went through the roof. The question actually started to be asked “what happens when Carmelo Anthony comes back?

Why is it no one is allowed to have an opinion anymore?

I agree with Floyd for the most part him being asian is a BIG part of the hype.
Him essentially being a jobber his whole career and then coming out of no where is crazy tho.

Him essentially being a jobber his whole career and then coming out of no where is crazy tho.

dyyhard:
"EXTREME racism, hate"

Comes from the same place? Yes. Same effect? Yes. But a racial slur sure feels a lot different than a firehose to the face or billy club to the knee.

Yes, racism is still alive and kicking today; no, it is absolutely not on the same level as what any black person was going through in the civil rights movement. You know this, man.

dyyhard:
"EXTREME racism, hate"

Comes from the same place? Yes. Same effect? Yes. But a racial slur sure feels a lot different than a firehose to the face or billy club to the knee.

Yes, racism is still alive and kicking today; no, it is absolutely not on the same level as what any black person was going through in the civil rights movement. You know this, man.

Originally Posted by gllahone84

dyyhard:
pimp.gif

see ska just quoted my last statement and now everyone who didn't read my posts assumes that I wrote about comparing 50s players straight up Jeremy Lin.
No.
My argument was comparing Jeremy Lin to 50s players  in terms of black minority percentages back then to asian minorities currently in the NBA --- all in context of Mayweather's ignorant comments.

Originally Posted by gllahone84

dyyhard:
pimp.gif

see ska just quoted my last statement and now everyone who didn't read my posts assumes that I wrote about comparing 50s players straight up Jeremy Lin.
No.
My argument was comparing Jeremy Lin to 50s players  in terms of black minority percentages back then to asian minorities currently in the NBA --- all in context of Mayweather's ignorant comments.

That's the thing, though: all things seeming equal, they're really not.

Make the comparison to the newest 'white boy' down at that HBCU in North Carolina; make a comparison to anything else other than black people struggling in the civil rights movement. Because like I said, any comparison made between a situation that appears similar to a black person in the civil rights movement… is really not similar at all. At all. That's one of those things where you have to just leave that one alone and find another comparison to make, showing sensitivity and awareness, towards the traumas and hatred of the day.

That's the thing, though: all things seeming equal, they're really not.

Make the comparison to the newest 'white boy' down at that HBCU in North Carolina; make a comparison to anything else other than black people struggling in the civil rights movement. Because like I said, any comparison made between a situation that appears similar to a black person in the civil rights movement… is really not similar at all. At all. That's one of those things where you have to just leave that one alone and find another comparison to make, showing sensitivity and awareness, towards the traumas and hatred of the day.

Originally Posted by CashBanks

407312_3249921524919_1173412631_3371939_277206015_n.jpg

Originally Posted by CashBanks

407312_3249921524919_1173412631_3371939_277206015_n.jpg

People really need to learn to compartmentalize situations more instead of comparing apples to oranges.

Back
Top Bottom