OFFICIAL LA CLIPPERS 2012 OFFSEASON THREAD

Clippers' Vinny Del Negro to return

By Ramona Shelburne
ESPNLosAngeles.com

The Los Angeles Clippers have picked up their option on coach Vinny Del Negro, the team announced Tuesday afternoon.
[h4]More from ESPN.com[/h4]
It didn't look promising at some points, but Vinny Del Negro has lived to fight another season, writes Kevin Arnovitz. Blog
The Clippers had until June 1 to make a call on whether to bring Del Negro back for his third season with the club. He's gone 72-76 since the team hired him in 2010.Del Negro led the Clippers to a 40-26 record during the lockout-shortened season and the second round of the playoffs, where they were swept by the San Antonio Spurs.Their winning percentage of .606 this season was the highest in franchise history.Del Negro came under pressure in March after the Clippers lost three consecutive games, but they responded by winning 13 of their next 15 games on the way to making the playoffs for the first time in six years.Information from The Associated Press was used in this report.

Originally Posted by REDUCE523

If we dont get rid of VDN we are going to stay stagnant. We got the opportunity to set up a good run next year. Seriously I hate doing it but with Billups and CP3 on the floor it would have been us getting ready to smash on the thunder. Why it wasnt that Billups was so great of a player but he was a leader and you could see it. The clippers only did this good because Paul put them on his back. Getting a coach that someone else is not paying half there contracts is going to make a statement that we are for real. Sorry but VDN has to go.

im going to have to agree. VDN wasnt good for Chicago and he isnt good for the Clips. Poor decision making when games were on the line.

Vinny repeatedly gets out coached and that really pisses me off!!!
Dude is like Dumbleavy 2.0 so predictable so mediocre.

I'm actually ok with the team resigning VDN (assuming that CP and BG are ok with it). He's definitely got his flaws, but he's not terrible and I think he can improve. I also wasn't excited about any of the potential replacements for him that were being discussed. I'm not sure any of them would have made us that much better than we were this year. That said, I wouldn't have cared much if we replaced him. But I'm not losing any sleep over the decision that was made.

And I have to say its kind of nice not to have anything really invested in the draft lottery for a change.

After watching the thunder being dismantled by the spurs. I dont think any coach could have gotten us out of the second round. Honestly VDN did as good as any coach could do. I am still not happy with the resigning but if Paul and BG were consulted then why not? At the end he is on the hot seat and we only have one more year. I know with some key pieces we can make a run for a title but I dont thnk it will be next year.

But if CP3 is not on board with this we for sure lost him.

The thing about letting Vinny go is that if you sign a big name coach like SVG or Sloan you have to pay them big money, and if they don't get along with CP3 in the first year then you'd have to eat that contract and hire a 3rd coach in 3 years to keep CP3. 

Just read that Demopolous won't be retained on the coaching staff.

If we could just get some decent, defensive-minded assistant coaches, I think we'll be fine.

But I can understand the Front Office's decision to keep VDN. I feel he at least earned the opportunity to coach our current roster for an actual full season, with actual practice time.

BTW, even though the Hornets got the #1 pick, I'm a bit relieved it wasn't the Minny pick that ended up being #1
nerd.gif
. Olshey definitely worked his magic with that CP3 trade. 

So now we're parting ways with Olshey? And he's reportedly headed to Portland?

I thought we had an agreement to new terms with him a couple days ago?
ohwell.gif

Ok I jumped off the cliff, then I landed. Trying to rationalize this.

The Aminu pick was bad, the Caron contract looks horrible. Also, Griffin ain't turning down that DRose max, and if the new guy thinks Paul will walk maybe they'll get something back.

But, %!$%, DTS isn't hiring out, he's too cheap to. Just gonna promote someone from within.

Seriously what the hell happened?? Sorry to say at one point do you give up on Sterling we might as well go to the Center wearing paper bags. We lost Olshey to the Blazers??

!%@@ Neil Olshady!

July 1st couldn't come any quicker.

I'm hearing a package around MO + pick might get us Deng.

Thoughts?

We need to get rid of Mo. Deng wouldnt be bad and Ariza just got shipped. I hope we get Griffin signed. Get a GM and finally start building a quality franchise.

what I hope the Clippers do:

- trade Mo for Channing Frye and future draft picks.
- re-sign Chauncey and Nick Young for around $4M each. re-sign Reggie Evans for the veterans min.
- sign Odom for the bi-annual.
- use MLE on KG or Ray Allen.

next offseason we can package Bledsoe and Butler's expiring for a lottery pick to draft a cost-controlled wing to pair with our two new extended (pause) superstars and DJ who gets paid so much that he's going to have to become the 3rd best player on the team for us to win.

I am sorry I dont want Odom. He can be a quality pick up but he can also be a waste ask dallas.

I say Bledsoe stays put until we have a long term with CP3. Once that is in the pocket we can shop him around.

Originally Posted by REDUCE523

I am sorry I dont want Odom. He can be a quality pick up but he can also be a waste ask dallas.

He'd come cheap presumably and is on basically his last chance to keep his NBA career going after last year's fiasco. Odom would also go well off the bench with Bledsoe.

Back
Top Bottom