[::OFFICIAL LAKERS 2010-11' SEASON THREAD Vol. It Was Fun While It Lasted::]

Originally Posted by westcoastsfinest

i see a lot of similiarities with this team with that 2001 championship team. we looked really ugly in the regular season and lost to the last place clippers at home, the warriors and got swept in the season series against to the lottery bound sonics.

nerd.gif

Are you REALLY comparing this LA team to that 2001 team? CP help my dude out PLEASE.
eek.gif

29 year old Fisher
23 year old Kobe
28 year old Shaquille

No diss. I just dont see how you can even talk about that.
ohwell.gif

EDIT:
I'm big on historical precedent, but the ones I keep seeing in my Twitter timeline don't apply here.

Some still cling to the 2001 Lakers team that was a pedestrian 48-26 before winning the last eight games of the regular season and 15 of 16 playoff games to capture the championship. At their peak, before their own excellence contributed to a nine-day, rhythm-disrupting break, they beat the No. 1 seed San Antonio Spurs by a combined 68 points in the final two games of the Western Conference finals. I got Kobe, Derek Fisher and Rick Fox talking about that run a couple of years later and they quickly concluded that it would never be duplicated -- at least not by them. Teams just don't play that well for that long. Might as well wait for UCLA to win another seven consecutive NCAA tournaments.

Kobe and Fisher are 10 years older. Pau Gasol isn't going to break out a pair of 40-point, 20-rebound games the way Shaq did to start the Sacramento series that year.

Just leave 2001 alone.  

http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime

just put that troll on ignore. i dont know why you guys even feed trolls.
True, i consider him an idiot though not a troll so its all good
laugh.gif

I have this team closer to the 02 team myself. 

And quite possibly, the 03 team.  But hoping for the ball to go in this time. 
nerd.gif

(Those of you that don't get that reference, it's the Robert Horry shot in game 5 that went in and out heartbreak.  If that shot goes in, we go back to LA UP 3-2 instead of down 3-2.)  Changed the whole season. 

Originally Posted by Do Be Doo

i see a lot of similiarities with this team with that 2001 championship team. we looked really ugly in the regular season and lost to the last place clippers at home, the warriors and got swept in the season series against to the lottery bound sonics.

nerd.gif

Are you REALLY comparing this LA team to that 2001 team? CP help my dude out PLEASE.
eek.gif

29 year old Fisher
23 year old Kobe
28 year old Shaquille

No diss. I just dont see how you can even talk about that.
ohwell.gif

laugh.gif

you're a clown for asking CP to help your argument. im not comparing them by the players and their capabilties. theres no way im comparing a shaq in his prime with pau here. i merely see similarities due to that both teams had bad losses to bad teams.

CP, i can see '02 as well.

Just saw Shaq giving Jerry Buss a hug at the Jerry West Statue Ceremony
eek.gif

I thought Shaq didnt like Buss after all what happened.

Spoiler [+]
JERRY WEST
109248926_10.jpg

109248907_10.jpg

109248836_10.jpg

109248837_10.jpg

109248843_10.jpg

109248853_10.jpg

109248788_10.jpg

109248820_10.jpg

109248605_10.jpg

109248694_10.jpg

Jerry West is very appreciated for what he has done on the court for the Lakers and especially off the court for the organization. Well deserved.

Next up: Kareem Abdul Jabbar

Originally Posted by Kookcle

eek.gif

I thought Shaq didnt like Buss after all what happened.

within a few years of shaq retiring  they'll be buddy buddy, shaq will have his number retired like he deserves to, and everything will be just fine.    it's been 7 years since everything happens,  time heals all wounds and one way or another i feel shaq would be playing this long regardless so he woulda inevitably left the lakers regardless so he could still play and get decent minutes.

now regarding the lakers, ill look at the big win in boston and wins over a decent hornets team and a decent knicks team when i think of this road trip and try to disregard the bad.

moving on, there's 25 games left in the season and the team is 8.5 games behind the spurs,  catching them is all but impossible but with 2 more games against the spurs the possiblity to gain ground on them is there.

however their 3.5 games behind the team with the 2nd best record. it's a realistic goal to catch boston, miami, dallas, and chicago.  the lakers gotta try and gain 1 game in the standings each week, from here on out.   a series with the first 2 games in san antonio is all but a given, but the lakers have 25 games to try and get home court for a potential series against dallas, miami, chicago, or boston.  their in the situation their in due to losing stupid games they shouldn't lose but every team has those  it just seems the lakers make it more of a habit then those other teams do.  say for example, the lakers beat the bobcats and cavs on this trip, 2 games they should win,  they'd be 40-17 and only 1.5 games back on boston and miami for the 2nd best record in the league.  those type of losses eventually come back to haunt you.

What a terrible slump.
This worries me, but Im hopin theyre gonna get things together.

Originally Posted by onlyXVbutHAVEallXIX

What a terrible slump.
This worries me, but Im hopin theyre gonna get things together.

what makes me feel positive is that despite playing like crap, losing inexcusable games, and flat out underacheiving this year,  their only 3.5 games behind the celtics and heat. 2.5 behind dallas and 1.5 behind the bulls.

25 game to gain 3.5 games is doable. it's not easy when those teams are most likely going to keep winning consistently as well but it's possible.

without underestimating the spurs,  ill say that i think the lakers can beat them without home court, if the lakers are  playing the way they should be playing.   however  there's been 5 nba finals game 7's since 1980  and the home team has won each and every one of them.  my main thing i want, is for the lakers to hopefully catch boston and miami  or at least one of them because home court in the finals is way more important then home court in the conference finals or 2nd round.

bottom line is the lakers got 25 games to put themselves in a better position then they currently are in to be able to defend their title.   having home court for 1 series then having to go on the road the rest of the way is going to be real tough as it would be for any team to have to win 3 straight series without home court to repeat.   they put themselves in this situation by losing games like the cleveland game,  the memphis, sacramento, and indiana games at home etc. every team has those "what the hell were we doing games" but the lakers tend to make it a habit,  the past 2 seasons there was no one close to them record wise in the west  but now that they have legit competition in the west each of those crappy loses hurts way more.

whispers are growing stronger that kobe is ducking the media to avoid facing paternity suit questions.
he videotaped his message to jerry west for his statue ceremony when he's right here in LA.

^ oh word...well his movie premiere "The Black Mamba" is saturday along wit all the allstar hoopla...so if this is really not make believe...i wanna see what kinda dodgin he is about to try to pull off

Originally Posted by dyyhard

whispers are growing stronger that kobe is ducking the media to avoid facing paternity suit questions.
he videotaped his message to jerry west for his statue ceremony when he's right here in LA.

whats the story on this?

Originally Posted by JRodski

whats the story on this?

Supposedly he got served paternity papers at a game the other day.  Not just that, someone here on NT said he had been paying off his baby mama to go live in Italy or something.  Now it looks like she's back and with the help of some lawyers slapped KB with a paternity suit.  If this turns out to be true, then the second half of the season is going to be a nightmare! Eagle County Colorado all over again... smh 
frown.gif
 Kobe couldn't you just keep it in your pants for this year? too much bad karma right now

Originally Posted by Kookcle

eek.gif

This is why I laugh when people question if Shaq will get his jersey retired.  
laugh.gif

He had a seat reserved for him. 

It's like do they think Jerry Buss doesn't appreciate what he did?  Look how tight knit that Laker family is. 

In regards to Kobe, I'm sure he had "All-Star" obligations to go to, promos etc..   
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

of course shaq is going to get his number retired. no explanation needed.
jerry west
pimp.gif
 congrats. he is our logo. so im hoping kareem is next?!

wait kobe didnt go to the unveiling? 
indifferent.gif

Stop posting this dumb $@%*... He was just on NBAtv for a press conference and a separate interview with Kamla n Smitty
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by TonyReali

Stop posting this dumb $@%*... He was just on NBAtv for a press conference and a separate interview with Kamla n Smitty
laugh.gif
they were whispers....it's there. heard it talked about on radio, msg boards.
don't deny that there are rumors out there. I'm not saying they are true, I wouldn't know. I'm just saying people are talking about it and he skipped the media 3 times in a row until now.

Back
Top Bottom