Official LEBRON 2010 Thread (The Decision: MIAMI HEAT)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by DubA169

Allen it's a big deal. it's a rare occurrence in any of the leagues for a team to be publicly traded. it's massive amounts of easy, guaranteed money. like i said look at how the value of the cavs increased dramatically when he came. Now imagine him in the biggest market in the country. he's basically investing in himself.

if he's smart he would make it look like he isn't going to NYC, get the stock down, then buy a lot of shares, then sign.
That should be considered insider trading. I'm not sure if there are any legal implications of this plan or not. I know someone posted the NBA rules for such a matter, but on a state and Federal level, I'm sure there are certain restrictions that won't allow him to buy/sell his stock since he knows what's going to happen before anyone else.

i wonder how cleveland fans will feel when lebron leaves for NY or Chicago this summer...

oh well
roll.gif

I'm saying the stock/chance to cash in, is not exclusive to LeBron. Not the impact itself.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

I'm saying the stock/chance to cash in, is not exclusive to LeBron. Not the impact itself.
Naw..  I don't think so, unless they offer him special options but that would be against the rules. I'm guessing he can buy them just like you and I can own shares of MSG the day it goes public.... only difference he has more $ to play with.

Originally Posted by Chicityk7

Originally Posted by tyroneaintblack

Originally Posted by nycknicks105

Why would he play with Noah? Doesn't LeBron have some beef with Noah?

Didn't Kobe and Artest got into it a few time last year during the playoffs?
wink.gif

didnt rodman clear pippen a yr or so before he joined the bulls get over it hes coming to the black & red fools & YEEUPP i dont know what tems your going for but NAS SUCKS

Ya, now that I think of it some more... this doesn't sound like it's going to happen. There's too many scenarios that allow Lebron to take advantage of and screw the investors over.

What if he moves to another team while still owning stock in the NYK?

What if he's injured and sells his stock before everyone else?

What if he knows something internally and sells high right before the stock drops?

There's too much to consider and Lebron would have too much leverage over the stock price. Not going to happen.

I don't think you can stop lebron from buying shares of publicly-traded stock. This whole thing is shady but i doubt it's illegal

listen the National editor of Forbes wrote this. don't you think he knows more than me or you or anyone on NT, on the subject? if it was illegal, He wouldn't have written the story.

That's it, thank you Dub.  That's what the dude was talkin about. 

SMART move.  Now we'll see if it works. 

[h1]LeBron James talked about by Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, and NBA is looking into it[/h1][h4]
[h4]By Mary Schmitt Boyer, The Plain Dealer [/h4][h5]May 20, 2010, 10:38PM[/h5]CLEVELAND, Ohio — The NBA is looking into comments by Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban about likely free-agent-to-be LeBron James.
In an interview this week posted on CNNMoney.com, parts of which were also posted on ESPNDallas.com, Cuban expressed his interest in James as a free agent. By commenting on James before he officially becomes a free agent on July 1 -- provided he does not reach an agreement with the Cavaliers before then -- Cuban could be accused of tampering.

NBA spokesman Tim Frank said the league was looking into the comments but told The Plain Dealer on Thursday night that there was no timetable for a decision.

mark-cubanjpg-67ec00d2a0119886_medium.jpg
View full sizeLaura Rauch / APMavericks owner Mark Cuban has shown a willingness to make bold moves with his team, but it hasn't brought an NBA title to Dallas.Said Cuban in the interview: "Come July 1st, yeah, of course, anybody would be interested in LeBron James, and if he leaves via free agency, then it's going to be tough. If he does like I'm guessing, hoping he will, which is say, 'I'm not going to leave the Cavs high and dry,' if he decides to leave -- there's still a better chance he stays -- then he'll try to force a sign-and-trade, and that gives us a chance. . . . What I do know about LeBron in the minimal time I've spent talking to him is he just wants to win. Money's not his issue. He needs to be someplace where he trusts the organization.

"And look, [owner] Dan Gilbert in Cleveland did everything he possibly could, that's just the way the game works. If there was a template that we all could follow, we'd all have championship rings."

In an email to ESPNDallas.com, Cuban said his comments were not tampering.

Stock tip: Forbes national editor Michael K. Ozanian thinks the New York Knicks have the best shot of signing James because he can buy shares of Madison Square Garden stock.

Ozanian wrote on Forbes.com: "They cannot pay James with MSG stock because it would violate the league's collective bargaining agreement. But there is nothing to stop James from buying shares of MSG with his money. This would allow James to in essence work for himself and capture the upside in revenue from higher ratings on the MSG [network], a soon-to-be renovated Madison Square Garden and much higher profits he will bring to these platforms."
[/h4]

Figure this is relevant.

[h1]LeBron James Offered Free 'My Chemical Romance' Tickets for Life If Joins New York Knicks[/h1]
[table][tr][td]18 May, 2010 [/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
If LeBron James signs up with New York Knicks he will get free “My Chemial Romance

Originally Posted by damnitzdom

Figure this is relevant.

[h1]LeBron James Offered Free 'My Chemical Romance' Tickets for Life If Joins New York Knicks[/h1]
[table][tr][td]18 May, 2010 [/td][td]
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
If LeBron James signs up with New York Knicks he will get free “My Chemial Romance

LIKE jAY CAN'T GET TICKETS ON HIS OWN...dude coulda kept that tweet and those tickets with the lead looking like edward scissorhands

That's a funny situation because it can be considered insider trading but it'd be very hard to get proof. Say they find out Bron purchased MSG shares when it IPO'd back in February, signs with the Knicks and then the stock skyrockets. That's pretty much considered insider trading but it'd be hard to prove that his intent was to sign with the Knicks from the start beyond a reasonable doubt. Now say he signs and then buys shares. As long as he's not using information the public does not have to buy or sell the stock, he can do as he pleases. It's a tough situation to look at in a positive light if it does turn out that he had shares before signing.  Since it's also the first case of this nature, it'd be interesting to see how the NBA levies a ruling.

For example, I can never own shares in my company because I actually work in trading with buying and selling stock so it's against our firms policy.  Someone who works in the mail room can own shares.  Our company was recently sold to a bigger bank to expand our business.  If I were to give that information the the mail room man who owns shares before that news was given to the public, I would be jailed.  Basically how it works.

The NBA can't do anything. it's a loophole that they will have to close with the new CBA. they can't punish us because their rules are messed up, for example the big Z trade.

i just assume that a team of legal professionals will walk him through all of this if it gets to that point. Because there is a thin line between legal and illegal. At the least this all sounds unethical.

Is this situation similar to when the Lakers allowed Magic to own a percentage of the team?

Not really, Bron would own a percentage of the team as a shareholder only. He could stand to make a ton of money though. Say he owned 500,000 shares at $16 when it originally spun off from Cablevision. If he signs with the Knicks, more and more people buy the stock and the price goes up. Price goes up to say $75 a share by August 1st. Bron would have made an additional $29,500,000 on an $8,000,000 investment. But that goes back to insider trading. He's using information that the public does not know (the fact that he will sign in New York) as a means to earn himself a boatload.

But even if he does it legally and by the book, he still stands to make a ton of money because he could always buy after he signs with the Knicks and then sells high later on after suceeding in NY.

All this is strictly hypothetical and hopefully no one gets all bent out of shape about it.

laugh.gif
 There is no loophole in the CBA. I'm pretty damn certain LeBron buying shares(directly or indirectly) of the Knicks would absolutely constitute as salary cap circumvention.

It wouldn't be just the Knicks though. That's where it'd become a little fuzzy with the NBA. Look how much goes down at the Garden. His lawyers could easily say "Oh, he bought it for the New York Rangers and the boxing matches held there" and the NBA wouldn't be able to prove that he didn't.

Like Dub said, it looks extremely shady no matter which way you look at it
laugh.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom