Official LeBron X Thread Vol. 2: Corks and Volts Launch 2/23

Status
Not open for further replies.
No salt I didn't even try to cop, so I got nothing to be salty about. Some of the reasons to justify y'all's purchases on here have me laughing though. No need to justify, you bought what you wanted. But those saying these are equivalent to actual nice things that take time and artistry to make see just downright idiotic.

Wait, wait, wait...fine China? Really? That's a serious comparison? And how the hell is fragile ever a good thing when it comes to a pair of shoes, something you're meant to wear?

Are you slow? It's an excellent comparison. Walking and eating are both menial tasks... Ie wearing corks or eating off china is a stylish expensive way of doing a basic thing. People pay alot for plates to mostly look at em. For alot of people, corks are the same, as this is more fragile than standard shoes AND more expensive.

Often, it's not the item itself, but the material it's made of that determines cost. And sometimes it's the name.

Also,the price on these is high but not as high when you consider this:m.saks.com/pd.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524446535075&CAWELAID=1679670576&cagpspn=pla&site_refer=GGLPRADS001&productCode=0452504562520

I paid a little less than that, only.because my exs friend worked at a shoe boutique and she hooked me up. Check Ebay... You'll see cork shoes used, that exceed the cost of these new.

Nike trying to appeal to that urban socialite Cole Haan crowd with these. I think this is just the beginning of "dressy" tennis shoes.
Dude...if you love the Corks for whatever reason you do (collectible, stylish, resale, etc), good on you, I really don't give a ****. Your previous comment was playing up the fact that the Corks being fragile was a good thing. If you're gonna sit there trying to convince me or anybody else on NT that fragile is ever a good thing for shoes, to justify that Corks are worth the resale or whatever, just stop. Please. They're a cool shoe meant to celebrate Lebron's accomplishments and another colorway for the Xs, that's it. They're not a valuable antique like fine China, and there's always gonna be another hot colorway of Lebrons down the road that people will want.

Saw some close up pics and is this what it looks like chipping off?
sick.gif
Nice pic....very detailed look

I dont know i thought they were suppose to look that way from the factory haven't seen my pair yet still in the mail

Last edited:
Yes they will. There's a whole industry devoted to old stuff. It's the reason people try to horde and take care of stuff.

If a Lebron cork survived a hundred years in a commercial and materialistic society like ours, it'd be VERY valuable. Have you forgotten there are hundred year old baseball cards worth alot Of money? Lebron James is more popular than Honus Wagner will EVER be, but you'll never see his card and Lebrons valued in the same stratosphere for at least 30 years.
I'm pretty sure you just proved my point.

If a (any shoe we go after) survives to the point that it becomes a antique it would be valuable AND fragile, but to compare this BRAND NEW shoe to those things right now is ridiculous.

Dumbest comparison I've ever heard. China can be hand made and with expert artisan work and crafting. Cork shoes probably still cost like 25 bucks at the most to make with how Nike does mass production, even if these are "limited". And what is so premium about them? The price or the materials? Lol at people thinking they are getting a sophisticated shoe. Marketing made them attractive, not the shoe itself.

No salt I didn't even try to cop, so I got nothing to be salty about. Some of the reasons to justify y'all's purchases on here have me laughing though. No need to justify, you bought what you wanted. But those saying these are equivalent to actual nice things that take time and artistry to make see just downright idiotic.

Stay in your place. Clearly you lack the common sense necessary for discussing matters of opinion. Aping the way my comment started... Classic. If you can't make the connection between rarity and cost... China is expensive because it's production requires skilled artisans. The material is thus valuable because not any Joe can make it. Corks arent the same...but who knows how much was put.into making a tennis shoe made of cork. Oh how much extra Nike.paid for material they rarely use.. Nike doesn't make shoes made cork often. So we have a common product made in a more exclusive way... That makes something more valuable.

Seriously, unless you work for Nike, **** about production costs, you don't know about that. Not to mention producing the shoes doesn't account for research and development, paying Lebron designers etc... Some china is mass produced in a similar way, where each item is a reproduction... Plates designs probably don't change as much as shoes do from year to year.

Your childish comments show your true nature. A shoe can be a work of art just like a plate, Or an average painting of some woman (the Mona Lisa). Tailoring shoes is a skill that has become industrialized just like anything else. You talk like all china is intricately and intimately designed and produced by individual craftsman. If you know what Mikasa is you know that's not true.
Dude...if you love the Corks for whatever reason you do (collectible, stylish, resale, etc), good on you, I really don't give a ****. Your previous comment was playing up the fact that the Corks being fragile was a good thing. If you're gonna sit there trying to convince me or anybody else on NT that fragile is ever a good thing for shoes, to justify that Corks are worth the resale or whatever, just stop. Please. They're a cool shoe meant to celebrate Lebron's accomplishments and another colorway for the Xs, that's it. They're not a valuable antique like fine China, and there's always gonna be another hot colorway of Lebrons down the road that people will want.

Again, reading COMPREHENSION is essential.i never said it was good. I said it could add to the value. People pay high dollar for items that are fragile... Vases, paintings etc... You're on a site where people regularly pay double retail for reproductions of 20 year old shoes, made more poorly than the originals. I've seen Unwearable Space Jams with yellowed soles sell for more than this.

Your comment also makes little sense in the light Of the fact that ON THIS SITE people pay more than the original owner payed for things like Lebron SBs, galaxies foams, certain AF1s, which are all just color ways of shoes that were easily available for retail, in some cases just sitting in the store. Here people can educated themselves, and not just get hype,.and even after that a mans old used sneakers still sell for more than he paid BEFORE he wore em.

Last edited:
should I trade corks for bg galaxy hyperdunks?
I wouldn't, but it depends on what you value more, the BG Galaxy is a more exclusive shoe, but it's a 'blah' shoe to me as far as rocking goes and ranks behind the Durant IVs and Lebron IXs as far as Nike'sgalaxy-themed sigs last year...now those promo BG Galaxys complete with the Galaxy laces were a serious problem...

I would trade as long as they are DS. The galaxy BG's have been selling for $1000 since they first came out, corks are already dropping as the market becomes over saturated. They never officially released the BG's they just appeared at some Cali stores and in Asia.

It's all about what you like but if your going for rarity and/value take the trade.

For all my fellow heads who plan to actually wear their Corks, I found some info on a cleaning solution that works on high-end cork shoes...

http://www.nitrolicious.com/blog/2009/04/16/how-to-clean-cork-sandals/

It’s inevitable that cork sandals gets really dirty after a few wears in the Summer because of sweat and constant rubbing. I’ve brought my Christian Louboutin cork sandals to get the cork on the toe area replaced but after trying a few shoe shops they all said it couldn’t be done. They suggested to leave it there to have it cleaned but they couldn’t guarantee the cork not breaking. I decided to take it home and do some research online, I’ve found some recommendations from using hand sanitizer to soap & water. But since B used the Jason Markk Premium Sneaker Solution  to clean his sneakers and highly recommended it, I decided to go for it. The solution does not contain any harsh chemicals, 98.3% is natural and completely biodegradable so I figure it would not be too harsh for such precious shoes. This product is made from natural soaps derived from coconut and jojoba oils. After a few scrubs the dirt started washing away and the cork was intact, so I continued till it was all gone. The best thing is that you just need to wipe clean, no rinsing off the solution with water is needed then air dry them and they’re good to wear the next day. I’m really pleased with the results, now my shoes are clean from the dirt and I can wear them without feeling dirty! You can see the results below, it’s pretty amazing. Highly recommend this product for sneakers and shoes!

BEFORE CLEANING

AFTER CLEANING (LEFT SHOE vs. RIGHT SHOE)

The cleaning kit is only $15 at http://jasonmarkk.com/products/3691-4-oz-premium-kit.  I'm about to pick up a kit now.

AJ

www.solesoneyece.com

It looks like the cork is chipping but when u actually touch it its smooth as hell it's how the shoe was designed too look its not actually chipping.... It's just different variations of cork material and different shades from light to darker......

Also in the STA newsletter for these they described them as Japanese cork that hardens after time

Thinking about the settings since I passed on the ASG's.

I thought the Volts came with a set of grey laces.. I'm guessing that was a lace swap?

Still need to find this crew neck...somebody has to know where it's being sold online, I can't find it anywhere...

For all my fellow heads who plan to actually wear their Corks, I found some info on a cleaning solution that works on high-end cork shoes...

http://www.nitrolicious.com/blog/2009/04/16/how-to-clean-cork-sandals/

It’s inevitable that cork sandals gets really dirty after a few wears in the Summer because of sweat and constant rubbing. I’ve brought my Christian Louboutin cork sandals to get the cork on the toe area replaced but after trying a few shoe shops they all said it couldn’t be done. They suggested to leave it there to have it cleaned but they couldn’t guarantee the cork not breaking. I decided to take it home and do some research online, I’ve found some recommendations from using hand sanitizer to soap & water. But since B used the Jason Markk Premium Sneaker Solution  to clean his sneakers and highly recommended it, I decided to go for it. The solution does not contain any harsh chemicals, 98.3% is natural and completely biodegradable so I figure it would not be too harsh for such precious shoes. This product is made from natural soaps derived from coconut and jojoba oils. After a few scrubs the dirt started washing away and the cork was intact, so I continued till it was all gone. The best thing is that you just need to wipe clean, no rinsing off the solution with water is needed then air dry them and they’re good to wear the next day. I’m really pleased with the results, now my shoes are clean from the dirt and I can wear them without feeling dirty! You can see the results below, it’s pretty amazing. Highly recommend this product for sneakers and shoes!

BEFORE CLEANING

AFTER CLEANING (LEFT SHOE vs. RIGHT SHOE)

The cleaning kit is only $15 at http://jasonmarkk.com/products/3691-4-oz-premium-kit.  I'm about to pick up a kit now.

AJ

www.solesoneyece.com
Jason Markk products is G. I use it on ALL my kicks. Now will be including the Corks! Spilt some cool aid on them last night. lol Naw

I'm pretty sure you just proved my point.

If a (any shoe we go after) survives to the point that it becomes a antique it would be valuable AND fragile, but to compare this BRAND NEW shoe to those things right now is ridiculous.

Not really. China is expensive and it's not just because it's antique, not all China is antique. Hell porcelain Tile for bathrooms is cheap, a porcelain plate is considerably more.

It's valuable now because they're rare... If it survived the value increases BECAUSE you know cork is fragile and itd be even more special then.

A hundred year old diamond outside Of a ring will hold the same value as one today because the gemologist wouldn't necessarily be able to tell it was Hundred years old.

You guys talk like Nike makes shoes like this all the time. The material being on a Nike shoe makes it rare (to some) that's makes it special.

To argue this is to suggest that people weren't/aren't paying close to or over 1000 for this, when they could go cop Prisms or Canaries for below retail in stores, and Have A more functional version of the X for less than even Nike wanted for it.

should I trade corks for bg galaxy hyperdunks?
Yes I would. BG galaxy was limited and never official released in the US and the corks prices are fallin fast. I would say in the next 3 months you will be able to get a pait of corks for less than $500 and I dontthink you will ever find BG galaxy for less than $700

I'm wondering if I should get my corks sold now or wait a year for them to (rise)?

I wasn't in the sneaker game when the yeezys came out but it seems like they were going for 800 in the beginning and now look at them... Over 1500 for deadstock pairs, I'm sure they dropped in the first couple months too. What should I do, sell or wait a year if I wanna get the most cash?

I'm wondering if I should get my corks sold now or wait a year for them to (rise)?

I wasn't in the sneaker game when the yeezys came out but it seems like they were going for 800 in the beginning and now look at them... Over 1500 for deadstock pairs, I'm sure they dropped in the first couple months too. What should I do, sell or wait a year if I wanna get the most cash?
im thinking i am going to wait to sell mine, the price can only go up from here...

lets face it, we may never see another shoe like this from nike again, the uniqueness alone is it's selling point

Stay in your place. Clearly you lack the common sense necessary for discussing matters of opinion. Aping the way my comment started... Classic. If you can't make the connection between rarity and cost... China is expensive because it's production requires skilled artisans. The material is thus valuable because not any Joe can make it. Corks arent the same...but who knows how much was put.into making a tennis shoe made of cork. Oh how much extra Nike.paid for material they rarely use.. Nike doesn't make shoes made cork often. So we have a common product made in a more exclusive way... That makes something more valuable.

Seriously, unless you work for Nike, **** about production costs, you don't know about that. Not to mention producing the shoes doesn't account for research and development, paying Lebron designers etc... Some china is mass produced in a similar way, where each item is a reproduction... Plates designs probably don't change as much as shoes do from year to year.

Your childish comments show your true nature. A shoe can be a work of art just like a plate, Or an average painting of some woman (the Mona Lisa). Tailoring shoes is a skill that has become industrialized just like anything else. You talk like all china is intricately and intimately designed and produced by individual craftsman. If you know what Mikasa is you know that's not true.
Again, reading COMPREHENSION is essential.i never said it was good. I said it could add to the value. People pay high dollar for items that are fragile... Vases, paintings etc... You're on a site where people regularly pay double retail for reproductions of 20 year old shoes, made more poorly than the originals. I've seen Unwearable Space Jams with yellowed soles sell for more than this.

Your comment also makes little sense in the light Of the fact that ON THIS SITE people pay more than the original owner payed for things like Lebron SBs, galaxies foams, certain AF1s, which are all just color ways of shoes that were easily available for retail, in some cases just sitting in the store. Here people can educated themselves, and not just get hype,.and even after that a mans old used sneakers still sell for more than he paid BEFORE he wore em.

Did those shoes mentioned in those colors demand a drastic price increase yet take away from the original model of the shoe at the same time? No. These Xs are meant solely for showcasing or wearing lightly. It's like taking the shell of a Ferrari and selling it for a higher price with no engine or anything under the hood.

Buy what you want, just come at me better with the justification. Till the I will "stay in my place" lmao damn clowns on here.

Edit: and there are many reports and studies dissecting how Nike charges a premium not because of their designers, but because of brand prestige and marketing. The study I remember most was regarding the VC shox and they cost something like 13 bucks to produce and sold for almost 10x that. You're saying the cork makes it that much more expensive? You realize they buy materials in bulk right, that's why certain iD options run out and are no longer available.

Or am I ignorant and don't know my ****?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom