OFFICIAL LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS 2013-2014 SEASON THREAD (PLAYOFFS! 2nd Round v. OKC; Series at 2-2)

[COLOR=#red]Clippers' Doc Rivers thinks Blake Griffin will continue to get better[/COLOR]

View media item 660683

Clippers Coach Doc Rivers said he has reminded himself that Blake Griffin is only 24 years old and that the three-year veteran's game still is evolving.

In Rivers' eyes, Griffin will only continue to get better as a player.

"I'm on him pretty hard," Rivers said. "I ask a lot out of him… I just think he's going to keep getting better and better."

Before the Clippers played the Memphis Grizzlies on Monday night at Staples Center, Griffin was averaging 22.9 points a game, first on the team. He was second in rebounds (10.9) and assists (3.3).

Griffin was named the Western Conference player of the week by the NBA for his play during the week of Nov. 11-17, when he averaged 25.7 points, 11.3 rebounds, 4.7 assists and 1.1 steals.

"If you want to be great, there should be pressure on you," Rivers said. "You have to expect there is going to be pressure on you. Chris [Paul] has pressure on him and so does Blake. I always thought about it in this way: It should be a privilege."

Mullens improving

Clippers backup big man Byron Mullens has struggled this season with his game.

But Rivers said he has seen some improvements from Mullens, who is shooting 43.8% from the field and averaging 3.8 points in 9.3 minutes a game.

"It's just a process for him," Rivers said. "It's growth. I think he's starting to understand what's a good shot and what's not for the most part. I'm more concerned for him to hang in there defensively and do some things for us and he's starting to do that."

Mullens has a tendency to rely mostly on his jump shot, especially the three-pointer. He was five for 19 (26.3%) from three-point range before Monday night's game.

Rivers said Mullens should be down low more than he has been.

In fact, Rivers said Mullens has shown in practice that he does have a low-post game.

"Obviously it's easier to shoot a jump shot," Rivers said. "But his post game is something he can lean on far more than he does."

Still looking for improvements

The Clippers have been a team that has played in spurts, especially defensively.

Even Rivers acknowledged that.

So with that being the case, Rivers was asked whether he has the type of team that tries to push the on and off button during the game.

"I don't think we have the on button yet," Rivers said. "We're still learning. We're still getting better. I'm still getting used to them. We're getting used to different stuff. I just think we lose ourselves sometimes in the game. Other than the Brooklyn game [Saturday] night, I don't think we have that on and off button yet. And it's a good button to have, though, I can tell you that. When you can push it, that's really nice."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-clippers-fyi-20131119,0,900154.story

^^^ Blake is definitely improving. The next big step he has to take, IMO, is being more aggressive (and confident) offensively in late game situations. He can't always defer to CP in those situations. He needs to start looking to score himself in crunch time.

He's definitely doing that. The really early foul trouble he got into really hindered him in the game.

Last night was what I was afraid of. Our half court game is still not there. Add to that our shooters going polar and we got beat. Memphis had a slow start but much like their game play, they're slowly chipping away to a better record. With that said losing by only 4 points against that team is an accomplishment by itself considering how off our game was. Last year's team would've lost by a higher margin. A loss like this sucks in regular season play, especially since now Clippers are under the microscope by a lot of Laker fans looking to trash talk. But in a playoff series, if this is Memphis' game at it's peak best, which I think we saw, then we should be fine once we strengthen that inside game.

Blake Griffin named Western Conference player of the week :smokin

Funny how for the past few months all my non-Clipper fan friends be saying they need to trade Blake cuz he sucks. I'm just realizing they're all fans of teams who Blake has beasted on lol

:pimp:

Seems like there's more Bulls fans at Staples today than Clip fans. Kind of surprised that's still happening, but whatever.

If we get shooting from Dudley like he did today more consistently, we're going to be real tough to beat.

Seems like there's more Bulls fans at Staples today than Clip fans. Kind of surprised that's still happening, but whatever.

This happens a lot with the marquee teams. ClipperNation trying to get that paper from their season tix. My section today was full of Bulls fans.. :x

Scarf is nice though!:smokin

Reposting this here. Credit to CFB for posting it originally in the NBA Season Thread. Good read.

The Extra Pass: Busting myths surrounding Blake Griffin, and Thursday’s recaps

In his first season playing in the league, Blake Griffin crushed any and all expectations. Now, just a few years later, he can’t seem to get out from under the weight of them.

Without diving in too deep as to why that is, it’s probably fair to say that Griffin isn’t treated as even-handedly as some of his contemporaries. Maybe it’s the athleticism or the commercials or the persona or the rapid ascension, but Griffin can never really seem to satisfy his critics.

As a result, this has led to a few common complaints being repeated ad nauseum, even though they aren’t necessarily rooted in truth.

Blake Griffin needs to develop a post game

You hear this a lot, but rarely is actual data brought in to the conversation.

According to My Synergy Sports, a service that breaks down and tracks every play type, Griffin scored .88 points per play out of the post last year. Post-up opportunities comprised 35 percent of his offense. How does that compare to some of the league’s best post scorers?

Blake Griffin: .88 PPP, 35% post-ups
Kevin Love: .85 PPP, 24.9% post-ups
LaMarcus Aldridge: .94 PPP, 33.7% post-ups
DeMarcus Cousins: .81 PPP, 24.9% post-ups

Very rarely do you hear anyone harp on Love, Aldridge or Cousins about needing to develop their post skills, but Griffin was a more prolific and more efficient scorer than everyone except for Aldridge last season.

Does he always make it look pretty down there? Certainly not, but saying that Griffin isn’t a good post scorer flies directly in the face of the facts.

When Griffin can’t dunk and play in transition, he can’t be effective

Griffin’s mid-range game is a work in progress, for sure. Still, here’s a list of players with at least 25 made field goals that Griffin is shooting a better percentage than from 10-22 feet:

Marc Gasol, Kevin Martin, Carmelo Anthony, Bradley Beal, Gordon Hayward.

It’s a small sample size, but it wouldn’t be a surprise to see Griffin be right around league-average from mid-range this year.

It also seems silly that Griffin’s production in the pick-and-roll (1.2 PPP in that setting this year) can be so easily ignored. Pick-and-rolls make up the strong majority of every half-court offense in the league, and Griffin has routinely been one of the best finishers in the league as a roll man.

Let’s not discount Griffin’s passing ability, either. With the exception of Kevin Love, Josh McRoberts and the Gasol brothers, no other power forward or center ranks above Griffin in assist opportunities per game, which is tracked by SportVU and is defined as “passes by a player to a teammate in which the teammate attempts a shot, and if made, would be an assist.”

That confirms what most people who watch Griffin every night already know. Griffin is drawing the attention of multiple defenders whenever he gets the ball, and he’s routinely finding teammates open shots.

Truth be told, Griffin is already the player a lot of people want him to become. The narrative being stuck in neutral is funny, really, because there are other much more legitimate critiques of Griffin readily available. He’s a poor free throw shooter. He’s an inconsistent defender that lacks focus. He doesn’t help protect the rim or defend the pick-and-roll well.

Those are the areas of improvement that could help Griffin take his game, and maybe the Clippers, to the next level. All this other stuff is just noise.

http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports....rrounding-blake-griffin-and-thursdays-recaps/

Excellent Read thanks for reposting that.

I agree, everyone that I speak to about basketball always says Blake Griffin sucks, yadda yadda yadda but never gives any real reason why. I always felt it was about the coaches he's been exposed too. No one ever really pushed him to do better. He succeeded at being a showstopper with his dunk ability but I feel now Doc Rivers' coaching is making him focus and take his ability and game to the next level.

Excited for tomorrow's game.

Thanks for posting that. Clips fans who watches Blake on the daily can see that he's steadily improving and he's continuing to become a more well rounded player so those stats mentioned in the article is not surprising at all.

Bet we come out sluggish tonight. Multi-day break, against a bad team and right before a Holiday. This game is going to be closer than it should be.

Looks like CP's ok, but we'll see.

Had a feeling this would be an ugly win and it was. I'll take it though.

I got held up at work and wasn't able to go to the game. Couldn't post on here either so I couldn't give it away :smh:

I know we've played two slow-paced, bad offenses but it's nice to see us only give up 80 and 82 the last two games. I hope that's more a sign of our team D getting better than our opponents.We've gone from dead last in defensive efficiency to 22nd before tonight's game. I'm guessing we'll jump a spot or two after tonights. Ideally I would like to be able to hold teams to around 96/97 ppg while avg 102/103 ourselves.

Just saw a graphic on FSW that shows these defensive stats the last 5 games:

Opp. PPG-93

Opp. FG%- 42%

Opp. 3pt%- 23%

I think, as Doc stated, that this has a lot to do with players finally geting more used to knowing where they're supposed to be on defense and when/who they're supposed to rotate to. Here's to hoping we keep this trend going.

Back
Top Bottom