Official Los Angeles Dodgers Season Thread: NLCS vs Phillies

5-1
pimp.gif

happy.gif

Ethier!
pimp.gif

I said this dude would put up huge numbers if he played everyday and he's showing a glimpse of it now.

ETHIER!
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

smh.gif
at Chan H0...2 games in a row our bullpen has given up leads late in the game. We need to figure this out ASAP. Would've liked to see Kershaw get the Wtoday, he pitched a great game (curveball is looking nice) and so did Johnson in relief.

The bullpen used to be so reliable....

I think the starting pitchers need to leg out at least 7+ innings, cuz the bullpen is just so overused.

when was the last time we had a pitcher throw a complete game this season? I'm pretty sure it was Billingsley I just don't remember how far back itwas.

its time to send this Park guy to the Minors... he is just that horrible.. i remember the two games i went to the game.. this fool was the reason why we lost..i hate him! and he sucks ...

Do you guys think Broxton is going to get the majority of save opps the rest of the year?

eek.gif
i left the house and we was up. then i seen on ESPN dodgers win with awalk off
eek.gif

this bullpin needs help BAD

Originally Posted by badboyf0life420

its time to send this Park guy to the Minors... he is just that horrible.. i remember the two games i went to the game.. this fool was the reason why we lost.. i hate him! and he sucks ...

Let's not jump the gun now. CHP has been a humongous surprise this season (his name has been mentioned for comeback player of the year). It's justthe bullpen, in general, is just so overused its taking effect on every single arm in that bullpen.

For instance, Beimel's last outing I believe he was put in to get a lefty out and ended up walking him and then putting another on, Kuo been solid allyear but he's been really shaky so far, Broxton - lets not even talk about dude. All these arms have struggled, and its a bad time of the year to do so.

I'm sure Ned is checking for some bullpen help, checking the cleared waiver players daily. Today's game should be an indication of how bad we needan arm with playoff experience.

I left when the Dodgers were up 3-1, to go to Griffith Observatory, then I check the box score and see 7-5
eek.gif
, I was confused.

Anyways, if you guys haven't been to the Griffith Observatory - go check it out! Also, just came back from Hollywood&Highland.
smokin.gif

I think the bullpen will be fine. Wade went down at the wrong time, but James McDonald is doing well in AAA and should be able to come up and help. It'snot quite as good without Saito, and it's tired right now because of all the work lately, but with Monday off, I'd expect them to be right back wherethey need to be.

Hopefully they've got some good arms they can bring up on sept 1st.
And I still think ethier should be an every day starter over pierre

Ethier's bat is needed in the lineup everyday, with Matt Kemp doing a good job at lead-off spot, they can afford to sit Pierre out.

Today's day off couldn't have come at a better time.

McDonald stumbles in latest audition

Dodgers prospect allows five runs in 3 1/3 innings at Triple-A

By Ken Gurnick / MLB.com

In what amounted to an audition with Dodgers general manager Ned Colletti in attendance, right-hander James McDonald allowed five runs on six hits in 3 1/3 innings, with two walks and six strikeouts
, on Sunday night for Triple-A Las Vegas at Fresno.
McDonald has been under consideration as a replacement in the Dodgers rotation for Brad Penny, who has made only two starts in the past two months and is back on the disabled list with continued right shoulder problems.

Dodgers manager Joe Torre has said that Eric Stults and Jason Johnson are the two leading candidates to start in place of Penny on Saturday night in Philadelphia. An option from outside the organization is Greg Maddux, whose acquisition from San Diego has been rumored for weeks.

This was McDonald's third start for Las Vegas after he was promoted from Double-A Jacksonville, and he used 84 pitches in his 3 1/3 innings. He moved into contention for a promotion off his two previous starts for the 51s, when he allowed three earned runs in 12 innings, with 20 strikeouts.

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/08/dodgers-in-mark.html[/h1]
[h1]Dodgers In Market For Pitching?[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [August 18 at 9:34am CST]

Tony Jackson of the L.A. Daily News talked to Dodgers manager Joe Torre, who does not expect much from Brad Penny for the rest of the season (he may return as a reliever, though). Torre hinted that he would like a starting pitcher to be acquired if it'd improve upon the current fifth starter candidates, Eric Stults and Jason Johnson.

Jackson hasn't heard anything new on the Greg Maddux front. As you may recall, Maddux was said to have cleared waivers according to ESPN's Peter Gammons. The teams were not able to work out a trade earlier this month, because the Dodgers wanted the Padres to pay roughly 83% of Maddux's remaining salary. That amounted to $2.5MM for the Dodgers back then; now it's about $1.95MM.

The Dodgers are in a dead heat for first place in the NL West, so every win is crucial. Last year they were willing to take on $8MM for a massive question mark in Esteban Loaiza, but this year they're trying to keep deals payroll-neutral.

[table][tr][td]West[/td] [td]W[/td] [td]L[/td] [td]PCT[/td] [td]GB[/td] [td]E#[/td] [td]L10[/td] [td]STRK[/td] [td]vs E[/td] [td]vs C[/td] [td]vs W[/td] [td]INT[/td] [td]HOME[/td] [td]ROAD[/td] [td]vs R[/td] [td]vs L[/td] [td]XTRA[/td] [td]1-RUN[/td] [td]RS[/td] [td]RA[/td] [td]X W-L[/td] [td]LAST GAME[/td] [td]NEXT GAME[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Arizona[/td] [td]64[/td] [td]60[/td] [td].516[/td] [td]-[/td] [td]-[/td] [td]5-5[/td] [td]L1[/td] [td]14-19[/td] [td]13-16[/td] [td]31-16[/td] [td]6-9[/td] [td]33-26[/td] [td]31-34[/td] [td]38-43[/td] [td]26-17[/td] [td]4-4[/td] [td]16-16[/td] [td]572[/td] [td]536[/td] [td]66-58[/td] [td] 8/17 @ HOU, L 0-3[/td] [td]8/19 v SD, 9:40P[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Los Angeles[/td] [td]64[/td] [td]60[/td] [td].516[/td] [td]-[/td] [td]-[/td] [td]7-3[/td] [td]W1[/td] [td]16-11[/td] [td]20-17[/td] [td]23-22[/td] [td]5-10[/td] [td]38-28[/td] [td]26-32[/td] [td]42-45[/td] [td]22-15[/td] [td]5-8[/td] [td]17-18[/td] [td]527[/td] [td]492[/td] [td]66-58[/td] [td] 8/17 v MIL, W 7-5[/td] [td]8/19 v COL, 10:10P[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Colorado[/td] [td]57[/td] [td]69[/td] [td].452[/td] [td]8.0[/td] [td]30[/td] [td]5-5[/td] [td]W3[/td] [td]15-18[/td] [td]18-15[/td] [td]17-28[/td] [td]7-8[/td] [td]34-29[/td] [td]23-40[/td] [td]35-54[/td] [td]22-15[/td] [td]3-5[/td] [td]18-17[/td] [td]591[/td] [td]654[/td] [td]57-69[/td] [td] 8/17 @ WSH, W 7-2[/td] [td]8/19 @ LAD, 10:10P[/td] [/tr][tr][td]San Francisco[/td] [td]52[/td] [td]71[/td] [td].423[/td] [td]11.5[/td] [td]28[/td] [td]4-6[/td] [td]W1[/td] [td]16-12[/td] [td]9-25[/td] [td]21-22[/td] [td]6-12[/td] [td]24-36[/td] [td]28-35[/td] [td]39-47[/td] [td]13-24[/td] [td]7-4[/td] [td]23-16[/td] [td]470[/td] [td]579[/td] [td]50-73[/td] [td] 8/17 @ ATL, W 3-1[/td] [td]8/18 @ ATL, 4:30P[/td] [/tr][tr][td]San Diego[/td] [td]48[/td] [td]76[/td] [td].387[/td] [td]16.0[/td] [td]23[/td] [td]4-6[/td] [td]L1[/td] [td]12-16[/td] [td]13-21[/td] [td]20-24[/td] [td]3-15[/td] [td]27-38[/td] [td]21-38[/td] [td]34-46[/td] [td]14-30[/td] [td]5-6[/td] [td]13-23[/td] [td]474[/td] [td]579[/td] [td]51-73[/td] [td] 8/17 v PHI, L 1-2[/td] [td]8/19 @ ARI, 9:40P[/td] [/tr][/table]

NEXT GAME 8/19

TV: PRIME-HD | RADIO: KABC 790, KHJ 930

matchup.png

matchup.png

@
Dodger Stadium
7:10PM PDT

Jimenez (8-11)

Kuroda (7-

Tickets

Probable Pitchers | Full Schedule

Still can't believe Jeff Kent said that Vin Scully "talks too much"

You're an idiot Jeff, how else would you explain your good play as of yet?
When you have a guy like Manny hitting behind you, you are going to see hittable pitches.

Jeff is just a grumpy old man, he's a square, I hate those type of guys who don't have a sense of humor and that are mad all the time.

He needs to retire ASAP, and yes he will get into the hall of fame cuz he was one heck of a second basemen, but never a great teammate.

I was coming in to say that French. Like whats wrong with this dude Kent? Who does that? The team is playing good and your getting mad at somebody sayingsomething positive about you? I like what he has been doing in the 3 slot but this guy does needs hang it up as soon as the last game is over and done with.

^^ Lol.

He's just a sourpuss. I don't like him at all as a person.
You don't want someone like that ruining your chemistry.

Right now, the Dodgers are winning, and this negativity is not towards his teammates, so at least it's minimal.

If Kent doesn't believe Manny has helped him see better pitches, then this dude is as close-minded as a cowboy born in California can ever be.
grin.gif

I was thinking about going to the game tomorrow, but I'm too lazy to drive back to L.A. Maybe if the dodgers make the playoffs - we can have our summitthen?
nerd.gif

Heres an update:

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/08/dodgers-in-mark.html[/h1]
[h1]Dodgers In Market For Pitching[/h1]
By Tim Dierkes [August 18 at 10:36am CST]

10:36am: Jackson has an article up, and takes a more definitive stance in saying the Dodgers are looking for a starter and remain interested in Maddux. Ned Colletti apparently has conversations going regarding players who would need to clear waivers. 23 year-old prospect James McDonald is a strong in-house candidate if the Dodgers want to go that way.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]Dodgers pitching prospect McDonald could get called up[/h1]
By Tony Jackson Staff Writer

Article Last Updated: 08/17/2008 10:16:01 PM PDT

Right-hander James McDonald, the Dodgers' top pitching prospect now that Clayton Kershaw is in the majors, could be the additional starter the club adds for the stretch run.

General manager Ned Colletti drove to Fresno to watch McDonald start for the Dodgers' Triple-A Las Vegas affiliate on Sunday night.

McDonald is expected to be recalled in September, when active rosters expand, but Colletti's presence could signal that McDonald will be promoted sooner.

The Dodgers don't need a fifth starter until Saturday at Philadelphia, and for now, manager Joe Torre plans to use either left-hander Eric Stults or right-hander Jason Johnson for that game.

The Dodgers also are believed to be seeking another starting pitcher on the trade market, which is limited because with the trading deadline having passed, only those players who have cleared waivers can still be dealt between now and Aug. 31.

Such deals tend to be made as late as possible because the teams who have desirable players to trade theoretically aren't in contention and can afford to hold out for the best possible package of players in return.

"It doesn't matter how long (those teams) wait," Torre said. "It's how long the other team is willing to wait."

One veteran starter the club is known to have interest in is San Diego's Greg Maddux, whom the Dodgers acquired from the Chicago Cubs at the trading deadline two years ago and who helped them capture the National League Wild Card that season.

Maddux is believed to have cleared waivers, and the recent injury to Brad Penny, which likely will keep him out of the Dodgers' rotation for the rest of the season, could intensify the club's talks with the Padres.

McDonald, 23, took a 6-3record and 3.10 ERA into Sunday night's game.

In his first two starts after being promoted to Las Vegas from Double-A Jacksonville earlier this month, he was 1-0, having allowed just six hits in 12 innings while striking out 20.
Penny update
Although Torre probably was right in surmising that there isn't enough time left in the season for Penny to do what he would have to do to get himself ready to return to the Dodgers' rotation, Colletti said he hasn't given up on getting Penny back this season.

Colletti also said Penny could come back as a reliever, which wouldn't require as much rehab time.

"We could get him back in the bullpen, too," Colletti said. "Even if it does take that long to rehab, if we can get him healthy, who knows? ... I don't know if we know enough right now to be saying anything (definitive)."

Penny has two career regular-season relief appearances, including one with the Dodgers in 2006.

He also has made four such appearances in the postseason.

Colletti declined to address the issue of whether Penny's health concerns will impact the club's decision to exercise or decline his $9.25 million contract option for 2009. The option carries a $2 million buyout.

Penny has made just 17starts this season, 15 of which came before a DL stint that began in June and lasted almost two months.

Presumably, even if the Dodgers decline Penny's option, they still would have some interest in re-signing him as a free agent.
Wade update
Torre said reliever Cory Wade, who is sidelined with right shoulder inflammation, should be ready to return as soon as he becomes eligible Sunday at Philadelphia.

Wade is expected to go on a brief, possibly one-game minor- league rehabilitation assignment sometime this week.

Back
Top Bottom