**Official Meek Mill Thread****Dreamchasers IV Out Now**

Uhh they are people..consumers. Plight of hip hop artists? :lol: avg black kid don't care about that either

Average black kid don't care? Okay bruh, intially, young black kids IS what it was geared towards. You think Melle Mel, Public Enemy, 2pac, Kendrick Lamar, or Rakim, Outkast, or Mobb Deep were speaking to little white teenagers? :lol:

Nowadays, I don't even objectify these youth, in terms of rap. Most of them don't know hip hop.

I told y'all dudes that I'm a Drake fan but, that "white teenagers" mess is flat out ludicrous

You not topping the charts because their parents had the money and means to buy their music. I mean, where is most of the money funneled through in the US? White households, that would be common sense. They were only needed because of the money inequality in the US. Let's be real.

Average black kid don't care? Okay bruh, intially, young black kids IS what it was geared towards. You think Melle Mel, Public Enemy, 2pac, Kendrick Lamar, or Rakim, Outkast, or Mobb Deep were speaking to little white teenagers? :lol:

Nowadays, I don't even objectify these youth, in terms of rap. Most of them don't know hip hop.

I told y'all dudes that I'm a Drake fan but, that "white teenagers" mess is flat out ludicrous
I guess you consider the avg black kid a poverty stricken full of problem hood/pj kid that want to succeed by selling drugs rapping ******* lots of woman and pulling 187 All over the place. Not by going other means.

I see where your mentality is at.

Last edited:
You not topping the charts because their parents had the money and means to buy their music. I mean, where is most of the money funneled through in the US? White households, that would be common sense. They were only needed because of the money inequality in the US. Let's be real.

Well considering we are talking about how BIG the artist was/is and sales play a huge role in that, then those kids regardless of how much they may or not mean to the culture are relevant in this particular convo

I guess you consider the avg black kid a poverty stricken full of problem hood/pj kid that want to succeed by selling drugs rapping ******* lots of woman and pulling 187 All over the place. Not by going other means.

I see where your mentality is at.

Just like the white men who do more drugs, have more affairs, and want to ******* a lot of women too? :lol: :lol:

Gone somewhere man

Ok grimes idk what you are arguing so lemme bring back up the original point and arguments

They are debating who was the biggest star in music or atleast attempting to draw comparison

Someone said, Jay z didn't have the white teenagers at large like drake does now.

White teenagers are ppl so they count in this conversation too right? Non of that rapper plight stuff you talking about matters rn...we not asking who has a more concious following bro

How is one selling 5 million records, #1 on the 106'ths and TRL's & not be considered a huge celebrity ?
He along with Cash Money & Bad Boy were the ones who ushered in the bling Era of rap
He had a HUGE impact on trends in hiphop, which then translated to pop culture

your making it seem like Your comparing Drake to a Cam'ron... Jay-Z was a household name in pop culture prior to Beyonce.

No

i'm saying that Drake is more popular for his music than Hov was for his

The fact that there is a comparison and conversation being had when one is twenty years in, a decade and some change from being a consistent artist and one might not have even reached his apex says all that needs to be said

After the first retirement, Hov got on the level of Puff where he was more relevant being a business entity and his power couple thing with beyoncé than for his non music ventures than his music...

Show Me What You Got and Beach Chair was more newsworthy than the moves he was making at Def Jam or the headlines with him and Beyoncé :lol:

All those singles i'll Phillip listed were huge RAP singles but like I said they didn't cross over a la Hotline Bling or a One Dance

My little sister knows Hotline Bling front to back and not even because of the original song, but because of YouTube covers of it with millions of views

Were 8-10 year old girls doing the same for Girls Girls Girls or Change Clothes :lol:

It's really not even a fair comparison to Hov because just from the science of how people remember music, melody and less/simpler lyrics will win every time...Hov's not really melodic

i remember Ye saying that starting with Graduation, he focused more on melody and simpler lyrics because it was hard to perform songs with a lot of words like Through the wire and also it was easier for people to sing along with melody and simpler lyrics

Last edited:
No

i'm saying that Drake is more popular for his music than Hov was for his

The fact that there is a comparison and conversation being had when one is twenty years in, a decade and some change from being a consistent artist and one might not have even reached his apex says all that needs to be said

After the first retirement, Hov got on the level of Puff where he was more relevant being a business entity and his power couple thing with beyoncé than for his non music ventures than his music...

Show Me What You Got and Beach Chair was more newsworthy than the moves he was making at Def Jam or the headlines with him and Beyoncé :lol:

All those singles i'll Phillip listed were huge RAP singles but like I said they didn't cross over a la Hotline Bling or a One Dance

My little sister knows Hotline Bling front to back and not even because of the original song, but because of YouTube covers of it with millions of views

Were 8-10 year old girls doing the same for Girls Girls Girls or Change Clothes :lol:

It's really not even a fair comparison to Hov because just from the science of how people remember music, melody and less/simpler lyrics will win every time...Hov's not really melodic

i remember Ye saying that starting with Graduation, he focused more on melody and simpler lyrics because it was hard to perform songs with a lot of words like Through the wire and also it was easier for people to sing along with melody and simpler lyrics

I see what your saying but you are still vastly underating the impact Jay had off music alone..... The singles Ill Phillip listed aren't just huge RAP songs they were songs that were huge all over the country. They were attached to trailors & soundtracks of huge movies. They were songs that were Everywhere.

I know this because i was 9 when Vol 2 dropped & no i din't know every lyric to the song, but i damn sure recognized that it was a Jay-z song and it was played A LOT. if you were alive and not under a rock in the early 2000's you were aware of Jay-Z music point blank period.

He along with a few others were the face of hiphop while Hiphop was making it's initial switch into dominating mainstream pop culture. Him, Diddy, Nelly, X, Ja were all HUGE around that era

if you were alive and not under a rock in the early 2000's you were aware of Jay-Z music point blank period.

is "being aware of Jay Z music" the same as an artist being the biggest artist since Eminem if not Michael Jackson

I might even say he reaches farther demographics than Em since I've never really known black people to bump Eminem

Last edited:
is "being aware of Jay Z music" the same as an artist being the biggest artist since Eminem if not Michael Jackson

I might even say he reaches farther demographics than Em since I've never really known black people to bump Eminem

Okay you know what bless up this convo ain't worth having if you think Drake is anywhere near the biggest artist since Michael Jackson :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You on that lil boat wavelength right now my guy

Last edited:
^ of course . I'm just saying the ground work had to be laid for that to happen . like there may not be a drake had it not been for a tribe , then 3000 , then a ye ect 

yo in a weird way drake is like the revenge of pm dawn 
laugh.gif

Drake Jay comparison is dumb. They're different kinds of artists in a different musical climate.

Yall comparing a pop star in 2016 who really started on the internet with instant possibility of global exposure to a ***** who been making music since pre-56k. Drake obviously "bigger" but it's likely due to the time period and the type of music he makes.

If Jay came out around the same time as Drake he wouldn't have been as big. If Drake came out back when Jay was really killin **** he wouldnt have gone anywhere, especially if that ghostwriting stuff came to light. The internet helped propel Drake to where he is.

Jay made dudes change their entire wardrobe with a single song before most ****** were on high speed internet :smh:

Last edited:

if you were alive and not under a rock in the early 2000's you were aware of Jay-Z music point blank period.

Eminem has a lot of black fans.  I don't listen to him as much now but in the late 90s/early 2000s his music was some of the best out.
Jay made dudes change their entire wardrobe with a single song before most ****** were on high speed internet
mean.gif
It sounds so weak now but when Jay said "we don't drive X5s, we give em to baby mamas" people actually traded their trucks in.

I specifically said they were Top 20 BB Hot 100 records. I just used 20 as a cut but some broke 15/10/5.

That makes them among the 20 biggest songs in the country at any given moment. "Big" ******' "Pimpin'" was one of those.

If that ain't "cross over", what is?

yo in a weird way drake is like the revenge of pm dawn :lol:

:wow:

It sounds so weak now but when Jay said "we don't drive X5s, we give em to baby mamas" people actually traded their trucks in.

Dudes wrote off damn near every sport SUV :lol:

Last edited:
Okay you know what bless up this convo ain't worth having if you think Drake is anywhere near the biggest artist since Michael Jackson :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

You on that lil boat wavelength right now my guy

you posted so many laughing emojis but yet zero other contenders

since say...93, who was bigger and for as long as a time that he has been at or around this level (6-8 years)

only other contender is em, who really didn't have a large black fanbase, certainly not comparable to Drake's black fanbase...meanwhile Drake meets every demographic Em touched

Last edited:
Where is this coming from that Em doesn't have black fans??? I honestly want to know where that's coming from.

The biggest artist since Mike? The ****? :lol:

We just skip over Whitney, Mariah, Janet, Beyonce, Pac, R Kelly.

forgot about Beyoncé and R. Kelly

Pac had a 2-3 year run and then died

let's say biggest male artist since Michael jackson...it's hard to compare female to male artists since ****** really don't listen to female artists hardcore like that...

Last edited:
^^^

Whole song is :smokin and I randomly heard "Once In A Lifetime" by The Talking Heads in a cell phone spot today and smiled....

So Drake is the biggest male artist since Mike?

Guys like Justin Timberlake, Bruno Mars, Beiber and whoever else ain't in the convo? (and I don't really **** with any of them dudes...but they're in the convo).

Or is Drake the biggest rapper?

But is Drake a rapper?

Or biggest Urban artist?

Is that what Drake is?

Any way you cut it he's having/had a phenomenal career. It's when you try to put these absolutes on artists of "best/biggest ever" that it's not so clear IMO.

Back
Top Bottom