**Official Meek Mill Thread****Dreamchasers IV Out Now**

You're missing the point. Chance only had all that success after he released that last project & his ULB verse. Prior to that he had no buzz with just a couple projects, and his fanbase was a much smaller cult following. Only now is he mainstream. Not to mention that festival was in his hometown.

But Meek has how many projects over the years & still flops? There's no excuse, dude is done.
he just had one of the highest selling rap albums with dwmtm
and dc4 did twice as much as coloring book
what are you even talking about dork lol

I do feel like since Drake, artists are marketed as being independent longer than they actually are.

I remember reading that Drake was on YM long before it was an official thing. I think Wayne even funded some of So Far Gone.

It's all really just marketing. In 1996 they'd send you to a radio station with new music, but since the consumer has changed to identify more with independent/grassroots movements, they keep the label ties lowkey and just continue to push you as an independent/mixtape artist.

Atlantic has been in the descriptions of Uzi's music videos on YouTube since at least summer 2015. Before his "breakout" project that fall. Labels just adapted how they marketed new artists.

Nah Drake was technically independent.

The issue is, that like chance, his team is just so well connected that essentially he is on a label because of the resources that guys like Chance are able to touch.

For instance, Drake was indie and was only signed to a Manaagment company, but that management company happened to be aspire, and hiphop since 1978, which was basically Cash Money due to Tez's relationship with YM at the time.

On some level I think that's what's going on with chance. Loved coloring book btw

Nah Drake was technically independent.

The issue is, that like chance, his team is just so well connected that essentially he is on a label because of the resources that guys like Chance are able to touch.

For instance, Drake was indie and was only signed to a Manaagment company, but that management company happened to be aspire, and hiphop since 1978, which was basically Cash Money due to Tez's relationship with YM at the time.

On some level I think that's what's going on with chance. Loved coloring book btw
So what label is Chance's people connected to?

It's not really a label. But people like Cara Lewis can probably get meetings with the higher ups at Apple Music, Spotify etc. just as easily as someone from a "label" can.

I do feel like since Drake, artists are marketed as being independent longer than they actually are.

I remember reading that Drake was on YM long before it was an official thing. I think Wayne even funded some of So Far Gone.

It's all really just marketing. In 1996 they'd send you to a radio station with new music, but since the consumer has changed to identify more with independent/grassroots movements, they keep the label ties lowkey and just continue to push you as an independent/mixtape artist.

Atlantic has been in the descriptions of Uzi's music videos on YouTube since at least summer 2015. Before his "breakout" project that fall. Labels just adapted how they marketed new artists.

Drake was technically independent.

This is the grey area I'm talking about. The resources are out there to do things independently.

Drake, yes, was independent.

Mad Decent had a #1 record with Major Lazer "Lean On" last year. Delivered by a network of independent promoters/marketers etc and Major Lazer's management team.

All of those parties just happen to know how to compete at a high level.

Last edited:
So maybe "fake independent" is technically incorrect, but that definitely should demonstrate why Chance's "independence" is a lil different than the common perception of an indie artist getting it out the mud. 

Last edited:
So what label is Chance's people connected to?

Not too familiar with Chance's movement so I don't know.

But you don't make it to SNL, have all those features or coloring book that chance does, and do the things Chance has done, and not have some inner workings going on

Honestly, what it probably is, is that He really isn't signed to a label but but his team's reach and resources are essentially a high powered record label. No matter what they tell you, you can't get records into rotation on the radio without a label so the fact that No Problems is on the radio tells you there's some serious stuff behind the scenes going on with chance that is far more than the "independent guy who's making it big" angle that they are trying to sell.

The grey area to most is the word "independent." What artist think is independent and what the consumer thinks is independent are two totally different things and artists are just playing to that now. The consumer thinks of independent as this artist who's music is so good that it's finally getting recognized and what and that him and his fans made him popular when really, an artist version of "independent" is just him not being signed to a record label. Their definition doesn't entail the resources, management, etc. that an artist like chance is using to push him to the masses.

Didn't Kendrick do the independent thing while being signed to interscope the whole time

Last edited:
DC4.5 coming out soon lol
all you dudes complaining about certain snippets not being on DC4 will be satisfied I guess

Last edited:
Essentially chance (and basically any other artist who say they are independent) are claiming independent because they aren't on a label. And that works because they are appealing to casuals, who automatically link no label = "omg it's just him and his fans that are pushing him to these great heights!" When really they are telling half truths.

For starters record labels are archaic anyway and are about to be put out the paint thanks to streaming

But beyond that, it just kills me because like...are you really independent? Or do you have a ton of high end resources and personnel that is on your team? You're not telling that part of the story you're just saying you're indie because you aren't on a label which is only part of the story

Didn't Kendrick do the independent thing while being singed to interscope the whole time

Yeah he did.

Wiz did it with kush and oj

Tiller did it too

They are all doing it :lol: DJ Booth wrote a great article a year ago or so regarding this exact issue.

Iirc though dot's situation was probably more like drake's in that he wasn't necessarily signed to interecope that entire time, but TDE and their resources were one in the same

It's like DOM K, another guy who's legit independent, but his manager is my homie arch who...works at interscope records :lol:

The grey area to most is the word "independent." What artist think is independent and what the consumer thinks is independent are two totally different things and artists are just playing to that now. The consumer thinks of independent as this artist who's music is so good that it's finally getting recognized and what and that him and his fans made him popular when really, an artist version of "independent" is just him not being signed to a record label. Their definition doesn't entail the resources, management, etc. that an artist like chance is using to push him to the masses.
Nailed it

It's like DOM K, another guy who's legit independent, but his manager is my homie arch who...works at interscope records
laugh.gif
mean.gif
 I feel like he could have been so much bigger if he wanted it.

DC4.5 coming out soon lol
all you dudes complaining about certain snippets not being on DC4 will be satisfied I guess

Hopefully he gets it. Flood the streets with music, do interviews, drop visuals pow.

:smh:  I feel like he could have been so much bigger if he wanted it.

He def could of. There was a moment where he could of signed to a label and that machine could have got him out of here

But he wants too much money and power in a deal and for good reason. He's a millionaire and pushes 30k independently. What would signing to a label do other than get more hands in the pot? He may get a bit more famous, but that's about it.

is dolph 100% independent?

If he was you probably wouldn't have heard of him unless you live in his city

He may be independent, but it's definitely not the cliche definition of independent.

But I don't know much about dolph so idk lol

Back
Top Bottom