**Official Meek Mill Thread****Dreamchasers IV Out Now**

A lot of this isn't that different from independent success stories of the past.

Rocafella was a combination of an artist, money, and guys with music business experience. Wu before LOUD.

How else do you qualify what is/isn't independent other than it's free of a major label?

And even within the major system, there is still "independence".

Mass Appeal (Dave East), Cinematic (Joey Badass), Savage Mode (21 Savage EP) tape are all distributed by Sony/RED. RED is Sony's independent distribution arm (WEA has ADA, Universal has Caroline).

But what Sony/RED contributes varies drastically with each of those depending on whether or not each label WANTS to pay for RED's label services (Joey did for promo on "Devastated").

Otherwise the labels do everything themselves. Video, publicity, marketing, promo. And RED just distributes. Nobody dictates to those labels what they release, how they release, how it's marketed/promoted etc.

It's hard to qualify/quantify all the different circumstances behind an artist's "independence" other than he's not on one of the majors.

That's why I like what Chance did by passing on those deals. I wish artists did it more often when they can.

Last edited:
He def could of. There was a moment where he could of signed to a label and that machine could have got him out of here

But he wants too much money and power in a deal and for good reason. He's a millionaire and pushes 30k independently. What would signing to a label do other than get more hands in the pot? He may get a bit more famous, but that's about it.
Now it would do nothing but in 2012...everyone was loving that Yellow Album. And he could have had the same lane Snoop had when he really became mainstream and an icon post-No Limit where it was just laid back feel good music that was in his lane, but anyone could enjoy.

He had the same appeal of a Wiz or Drake whee he could naturally make music that alienated no demographics.

Independent as I knew it was how some of the H-Town cats used to do it

Im from the H so thats what independent is to me in my eyes.

100% your money goin in and commin out.

But then again, there were distribution deals that 'independent' rappers had but thats all it was.

What about if you got people investing in your career lookin out for you on studio time and beats and payin a certain percentage back?

Now it would do nothing but in 2012...everyone was loving that Yellow Album. And he could have had the same lane Snoop had when he really became mainstream and an icon post-No Limit where it was just laid back feel good music that was in his lane, but anyone could enjoy.

He had the same appeal of a Wiz or Drake whee he could naturally make music that alienated no demographics.

Right, but would he have gotten more money from signing? He would have signed if it was lucrative enough. DOM just hasn't gotten a deal that makes signing to a label worth it.

Even in 2012 he was making like 600k plus a year I think. With DOM it's literally all about the bread tbh and he is the closest you'll see to someone who's legit indie. He has his own label, goes on his own tour, he has his own dj and artists signed to his own label, not to mention he has 100% control of every record he makes, when to release it, etc. he's caking man and has been for awhile.

There's no real point in signing to a label. He's making more money than almost all of these ****** out here :lol:

i just don't want him to go the thugger/gucci route which is quantity over quality
But thugger and gucci been putting out quality [emoji]129300[/emoji]. He sitting on all those snippets, might as well release them tapes and if u can finesse 70k people to buy free music that's free bands until album time. Gotta try to get 1 of these songs to stick.

One of them has been putting out quality, and the other had to put on lingerie to try to get people to buy his music

Last edited:
Artists that release projects too close to each other were holding out on material on the first project...if Meek had these joints he could've waited another 2-3 weeks (he already waited all this time) and put one complete project out

Artists that release projects too close to each other were holding out on material on the first project...if Meek had these joints he could've waited another 2-3 weeks (he already waited all this time) and put one complete project out
No need to put out a project with 20+ songs. Keep it short and sweet.

No need to put out a project with 20+ songs. Keep it short and sweet.

Unless he wants to hold out for DC5 :nerd:

Looks like this will be another full project of songs?

Last edited by a moderator:
Meek not even trying with these videos 
laugh.gif

http://www.complex.com/music/2016/11/meek-mill-new-video-way-up-featuring-tracy-t

Its like the same exact scene every time.

But thugger and gucci been putting out quality [emoji]129300[/emoji]. He sitting on all those snippets, might as well release them tapes and if u can finesse 70k people to buy free music that's free bands until album time. Gotta try to get 1 of these songs to stick.
im saying they both could just release condensed projects with all the good songs from each one. (this doesn't apply to gucci post jail)

im saying they both could just release condensed projects with all the good songs from each one. (this doesn't apply to gucci post jail)
I guess I see it. Dude must've liked the way it felt when dc4 dropped, to have people embracing him again instead of clowning him. I know he sitting on too many tracks.

DC 4.5 is a good thing.  Drop enough music and the good tracks will rise to the top and we'll forget about trash like Froze.

Back
Top Bottom