OFFICIAL Minnesota T-Wolves Offseason thread

Alright....

If all things hold (they won't but we can play along) here would be the Wolves 2009 NBA Draft slots:

1st Round
6th pick
17th pick (Miami)
28th (Boston)

2nd Round
Wolves pick sent to Detroit (Ronald Dupree trade)
Wolves receive two 2nd-Rd picks from Heat (the two highest of Miami's three 2nd-Rd picks in 2009)

Boston killin us with our 1st Round pick leverage we got in the KG trade, sounded a lot better when the trade was made
grin.gif

And here is the breakdown for the draft picks so we can see it again, we should probably save this:

Wolves owe:
First Round pick to Clippers (Top 10 protected 2009, Top 10 in 2010, unprotected in 2011)

Wolves receive:
First Round pick from Heat (Top 10 protected 2009, Top 6 in 2010, unprotected in 2011)
First Round pick from Celtics (Top 3 protected 2009, Top 2 in 2010)
First Round pick from Jazz (Top 22 protected 2009, Top 17 in 2010, Top 15 in 2011, Top 16 in 2012, Top 16 in 2013)
Another First Round pick from Celtics (The Twolves original pick in the Wally deal that was traded back to the Wolves in the KG deal. The pick goes toMinnesota two years after Minnesota's pick to the Clippers is sent and is unprotected)

^ Yup, the Jazz I believe currently sit at the 20th spot. If that holds they keep their pick. Anything from 23-30th pick the Wolves get this year.

Paul, how bout we put this info on the first page so we have it locked:

And here is the breakdown for the 2009 draft picks so we can see it again

Wolves owe:
First Round pick to Clippers (Top 10 protected 2009, Top 10 in 2010, unprotected in 2011)

Wolves receive:
1st Round
First Round pick from Heat (Top 10 protected 2009, Top 6 in 2010, unprotected in 2011)
First Round pick from Celtics (Top 3 protected 2009, Top 2 in 2010)
First Round pick from Jazz (Top 22 protected 2009, Top 17 in 2010, Top 15 in 2011, Top 16 in 2012, Top 16 in 2013)
Another First Round pick from Celtics (The Twolves original pick in the Wally deal that was traded back to the Wolves in the KG deal. The pick goes toMinnesota two years after Minnesota's pick to the Clippers is sent and is unprotected)

2nd Round
Wolves 2009 pick sent to Detroit (Ronald Dupree trade)
Wolves receive two 2009 2nd-Rd picks from Heat (the two best of Miami's three 2nd-Rd picks in 2009)

well, the jazz are getting their studs back now, so hopefully they can pick it up and finish the year strong.

Good game so far..hopefully we can get the lead and finish strong which is something we haven't accomplished much this season

The Jazz win along with our loss helps our draft status..

Game got kind of out of hand there for a little bit though...tough game against Portland Friday
ohwell.gif

just helping our chances now...keep on losing wolvies, i'm perfectly fine with that at this point.

To be completely honest. I've never believed in the losing to help your draft status adage. Especially in the NBA when no pick in the lottery isguaranteed. I think the confidence gained and learned values from pushing yourself (the team) to win during bad times goes a very long way in the developmentand betterment of the team. I think we have to worry about the core of this team more than the possibility of just one guy who could "potentially" begood/great. This is where guys like Love, Foye, and Telfair can gain much needed confidence that would go miles in boosting this teams prominence in thefuture.

^ I agree. The team itself needs to just keep trying to win and play hard. We as fans then can applaud losses. But the TEAM, as McHale has said from the getgo, needs to keep on keepin. These players are so used to losing that the culture needs to at least turn a tad.

We've brought this up before....but since the day the Wolves shut down KG with about a week left in the 06-07 season the organization is now on a 40-106streak. That's .274 winning percentage. This will also be their fourth straight season winning 33 games or less.

Anyway....This year's draft likely wont be as heavy as other drafts have been but I am very intrigued for it...you have to be. The Wolves are going to makea couple deals you can bank on that. Taylor and McHale think they have enough youth and roster spots taken....they've come and said it's unlikely theywould want to bring in 3-4 first round picks anyway (plus 3-4 guaranteed contracts). Im lookin for them to package something.

Didn't see the game, but it doesn't look like they put up any kind of a fight. The starters' stat lines were ATROCIOUS.

Zygi Wilf sitting courtside with a white dude...not sure who it is (maybe Houshmandzadeh's agent?) I don't know but I think it's good news.

Anyway, Foye is dead-on with his threes today...only down by 1 at the half lets get it done
9fe161108059eb46bb468c17a5afaadf98c8918e.gif

Another loss
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
, now 11 of their last 12.

How bout this....take out that insane stretch at the start of '09 when McHale was named Coach of Month and the team won 10 of 12....and this team has notwon back to back games at any point this season. Good grief
laugh.gif

Randy Foye is shooting 38% in his last 19 games, when i saw that stat i sadly thought it would have been even worse

How bout our dude Mike Miller gettin his form back, in that same time frame as Foye he is shooting 59%
pimp.gif

And they keep coming
laugh.gif

10 losses in a row, and 18 of their last 20
And a franchise record (that's saying something) 11 straight losses at home.
Foye hurt.

Team continues to play absolutely pathetic defense, a staple of this organization. Wittman's win percentage this year was 21%, McHale's now is 31% evenwith that big win streak included
sick.gif

Well this is what we as fans probably wanted, better shot at lottery. The team though is just a bunch of losers.
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

K Love up to 17.4 Rebounds Per 48 Mins, 5th in NBA.

^ Very bad. We're tanking but not by choice...we're just that bad.

Battle of the worsts today at 2:30 PM...Oklahoma City @ Timberwolves
laugh.gif
...will MarkMadsen and Robert Swift be having a 3-Point battle?

Anyway, I see us 3 games that we could potentially win the rest of the season. Things are pretty ugly right now.

3/22 vs Oklahoma City
4/7 @ LA Clippers
4/15 vs Sacramento

Another loss
ohwell.gif

Key #s today...
Craig Smith: 19 points, 10 rebounds
Rodney Carney: 15 points
Bobby Brown: 12 points, 4 assists

I still think Shelden Williams should be getting more minutes. In 12:00 of clock today he had 4 points and 5 rebounds. Kevin Love had an ugly day..3-13 on FGs.

Hopefully we can give Atlanta some trouble tomorrow.

Seriously I cannot believe how far Foye had dropped in now his third year.

This team needs a good guard so badly it's disgusting.

So is it safe to say that McHale is gone? Actually, I doubt the phrase is "safe to say" because who knows with these boneheads, but I think it'sthe only clear path at this point.

^ Taylor has said from the get go that the coaching job is McHale's if he wants it. If McHale chooses not to coach then he is completely done, more thanlikely would take up an "advisor" role though.

It wouldnt surprise me if he came back again next year to coach, although I'm not really expecting it. McHale badly wants to get this ship righted beforehe takes off. And the players love playing for him. I actually think he could do a good job if he had the talent (go figure) simply because in the NBA it'smore so about motivating your players than anything. These current TWolves all respect him and listen to him. It's just that the team stinks. And as I havethought about many times the past year, if McHale does leave who are we really going to get? The same old coaching fraternity? A young up and comer we knownothing about? Flip Saunders? None of those excites me in the least.

Anyway, another pathetic loss again last night to Atlanta. The team has now lost 24 of their last 28 since their huge New Year winning streak ended. Hilarious.

Alright boys the end of the year is here.....it's about time for state of the franchise summary.

It's hard to believe that Game 6 loss to the Lakers in 2004 was the last time this team laced em up for a playoff game
tired.gif

24-56 so far, 22-60 the year before, 32-50 the year before, 33-49 the year before that. It's officially ugly. And nothing much on the team really excitesme for the future. Let's face it. We have some decent talent on this team. We have Al Jefferson. But four straight lottery picks have not resulted inanything close to even a fringe All Star player now or in the near future. If the team does not land Griffin then that trend will likely continue. Kevin Loveshowed glimpses of what most of us thought he could give. He has talent. He can be a nice piece to this franchise when more talent is added around him.

I have been on Randy Foye for 3 years running now. I know we all want him to be a good player and he's also had his injury...but he now is going into his4th year and will be 26 years old. He is a decent talent. But he is no Brandon Roy and he has serious holes in his game. And we aren't even talking abouthis defense which has been horrendous. Randy's shooting percentage has gone down every season he has played....with this year's being .407. He had 1/3of a year to be the "man" on this team when Al went out. And he proceeded to shoot 40% in that span, dish out about 3 assists per game, and "4thquarter Foye" kept clanging shots in the 4th quarter. He of course went out early with another injury and was lost for the year. Foye is certainly not theworst of the Wolves problems, but there isn't one Wolves fan who likely feels good about him being the team's guard of the future.

We will have three draft picks this year. Our own, the Heat's (currently the 14th best record in the NBA) and the Celtics' (currently the 3rdbest record). If these records held up and the lotto played out exactly right the Wolves will end up with 6th pick, the 16th pick, and the 27th pick. The teamhas all but come out and said they will be dealing at least one of these picks. If they do not hit the lotto and get a Top 2 pick I could see them even movingtheir highest pick as this team does not need another 19 year old project player who is 3 years away.

It pains me to say this (and we have gone over it before) but this franchise for all it's crappy records has never picked above #3 in the draft. Andthey only picked #3 one time....which of course was the year with Shaq and Mourning as the first two picks.

Jefferson will be watched all summer to see how the knee is coming along, reports are varying and there have been people mentioning there is a chance he maybe missing the beginning of the season next year.

McHale will be the first news out of the gate, I expect him to announce his coaching intentions fairly soon. He will not be back as a GM but as I mentionedpreviously I could see him still being employed somehow. If he DOES come back to coach I would be fine with that as well as nothing else excites me. I alsowould love for Glen Taylor to bring in an outsider to overhaul the whole operation as a GM if McHale does get the boot completely. Lets face it, that is theonly route for this team to go. Forget Stack, forget Hoiberg, forget anyone whose handprints are on this team. It hasnt worked. You crashed last year and thenthis year you only won two more games. Taylor all but said 3 years ago that this was the year he expected us to be near the playoffs (obviously that is astupid statement but he did make it).

This team also has cleared off some serious cap space for 2010.

Should be interesting.

I have some end of season thoughts...but I won't post them until after the game Wednesday..

RyGuy, what type of player do you think we could bring in for the #6 pick? I'm still a little bit uncertain that I'd want to do that because Idon't have a lot of confidence in our front office to make a deal that will be beneficial for our squad for many years to come.

Like I've been saying all season, just play my guy Bassy.

There's no reason Kevin Ollie should ever be ahead of him on the depth chart.

Like I've been saying all season, just play my guy Bassy.

There's no reason Kevin Ollie should ever be ahead of him on the depth chart.
The Wolves have given him over 30 minutes a game on average the two seasons he's been there
laugh.gif

Dude has played okay at times, but bottom line is he's never close to consistent. He's also shooting 38% from the floor and has never averaged even 10PPG for his career or 6 APG.....despite getting high minutes on junk teams. And his defense is worse than throwing an average NTer out there to do the job.
laugh.gif

RyGuy, what type of player do you think we could bring in for the #6 pick? I'm still a little bit uncertain that I'd want to do that because I don't have a lot of confidence in our front office to make a deal that will be beneficial for our squad for many years to come.

Well first of all I hope to heck the team actually moves up in the lotto and has higher than #6. I think there is a good chance the front office will becompletely different by the time the draft rolls around so perhaps we will see something positive no matter what picks we end up with. But at the #6 spot youare likely talking the Harden's, the Jennings, etc. Chance at a decent player....but nothing at that spot excites me. The other thing to factor in here isthis team finally took a couple years and shed their high salaries and has nice cap room. For how much I sometimes wish we would indeed trade a pick or two fora good player, I stop and realize that any "decent" player we would get in a trade probably comes with about 4 years and $65 mil remaining on hiscontract. It's almost like you would rather just go with a young rookie who is making about $1.5 mil a year out of the gate. Who knows.

Back
Top Bottom