OFFICIAL Minnesota T-Wolves Offseason thread

Jefferson's knee caved in...not good at all
smh.gif
smh.gif

Telfair
smh.gif

The Wolves stand pat. I suppose you could trade Miller if a team really wanted him simply because this team isn't really going anywhere now and a 30 yr oldvet like Miller can be expendable.

The 'positives' in this are that this means more minutes for other young players (i.e. Love) and their roles increasing which will only benefit themfor next season. The Wolves also likely fall back into the high lotto balls which will lock them into keeping the pick they owe LAC (Top 10 protected) and alsohopefully even getting THE top pick or something close.

Then we just hope Jeff comes back next season in good shape....it does sound like there is a chance this is creeping into next season however.

^ I'm all for him taking his time to get back. Let's see what these kids got. Foye can certainly come into his own if he really wants, and Love can andwill (I think) show his worth the remainder of the season.

I got 2 tickets tonight for anyone that wants to go. PM me in the next 20 min and you're golden

Foye put up the numbers that I figured he would and Love given minutes got some good numbers too. I expect those numbers to balloon from time to time though.They just don't have enough firepower. Especially with Jefferson out.

Ehhhhhh saw the team is now 1-7 in their past 8 games. No big deal but just yet another losing skid. Helps lotto outlook ya.

But I just was reminded the Wolves have 46 wins total since Feb 20, 2007. That's a total of 46-117 (.282), even taking into acount their 12-4 run afterXmas this year. This team REALLY needs to hit the jackpot in the draft no matter how much we think they are "improving." It's time to make aserious run next season. "Run" being .500.

Just heard a rumor in the Trade Deadline thread of the Wolves moving McCants to the Kings for the expiring contract of Quincy Douby and Mikki Moore.

The Wolves can get rid of the headache in McCants and won't lose his expiring contract because we get another one in Douby.

It feels like Minny is set to make a big time splash in Free Agency in the upcoming years, because of all the draft picks they have and the number of expiringcontracts on their roster. They quite possibly could be a big player, but the question is, who is going to choose Minnesota over most of the other big marketteams. I think we'll end up with a 2nd or 3rd tier superstar, because all the Big names will sign somewhere else and won't be able to afford bringingon more players. I don't know. We'll see.

Good 2nd Half article today by TWolves beat writer....

[h1] [/h1]
Without Jefferson, Wolves reach fork in road

The center's season-ending knee injury could be a blessing or a curse, depending on how the team plays (and where it drafts).

WASHINGTON - The Timberwolves begin the final two months of this careening season tonight at Washington without Al Jefferson.

Strange as it might seem, though, they don't embark on the final 31 games without purpose, intended or otherwise.

They indeed still might play out the string without their statistical and spiritual leader now that Jefferson's season is finished because of that torn knee ligament.

But these final weeks will reveal plenty, including:

• Whether the team that provided draft day's midnight theatrics last summer by acquiring Kevin Love and Mike Miller for O.J. Mayo has another bold move left -- perhaps one involving Miller again -- now that Thursday's trading deadline is almost here.

• If Jefferson's absence will by necessity hasten the development of other young players, namely Love and third-year guard Randy Foye.

• Will Jefferson's untimely, unfortunate misstep in New Orleans nine days ago ultimately prove to be lined in silver by improving the Wolves' lottery chances and delivering another top-three pick come June?

• What will presumably two difficult months on the court and in the NBA standings mean for Kevin McHale's future, both as coach and as the managerial face of the franchise for the past 14 years?

Only three weeks ago, Wolves fans blogging away on the Internet or chatting away on talk radio worried their team's new winning ways -- 12 of 16 games -- would this summer cost it a top-10 draft pick owed the Los Angeles Clippers from that foolish Marko Jaric trade years ago.

If the season ended today, the Wolves would be aimed at the June draft's sixth pick. With Jefferson and Corey Brewer out for the season, they could be among the lottery favorites by the time the season ends in April.

Right now, the draft's prized pick is Oklahoma power forward Blake Griffin, who, of course, plays a position at which the Wolves -- with Jefferson and Love already -- are stacked. Some lottery luck, though, could give a team still in need of a shotblocker, an athletic, scoring small forward and a game-changing point guard a shot at Connecticut's 7-3 center Hasheem Thabeet or their choice of point guards.

The Wolves likely will have two other first-round picks -- Miami's and Boston's -- this summer and they've worked these past 18 months to free salary-cap space for the next two summers.

Given how so many other NBA teams are doing the same for 2010 -- when LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh theoretically could headline an unprecedented crop of free agents -- and given how Minnesota's frigid winters don't exactly make it a desirable destination -- look for the Wolves to invest that money by trading for a star player instead, whether sooner or later.

McHale insists the Wolves don't intend to trade Miller -- the tipping point in last summer's trade who hasn't been the No. 2 scorer the team envisioned he'd be -- by Thursday, but also says anything's possible if the deal's right. They'd trade little-used guard Rashad McCants in an eyeblink if he could fetch some value rather than free him to free agency this summer.

The Wolves, at the moment, need healthy bodies. McHale said the team would not make a trade designed to help them only for the season's remaining two months, but it could waive, for example, Calvin Booth and sign a young player from the NBA Development League.

McHale was named the Western Conference's best coach for January because of a 10-4 month that followed a 2-14 December. Now, the Wolves have lost seven of their past eight, and only one of those games was with without Jefferson. McHale accepted the job begrudgingly in December and doesn't hide his dislike for the required travel and time away from his family.

Wolves owner Glen Taylor has said McHale -- who was stripped of his front-office title when Randy Wittman was fired as coach -- will decide if he returns to coach next season. McHale has made every major decision for the franchise since 1995, and fans for years have clamored for his departure.

Will they finally get it? Jefferson's injury could give McHale a convenient reason to step aside. Or might Jefferson's absence convince McHale to stick around for another season?

McHale defers questions about his future.

"I don't know, I'll coach tomorrow night, I know that," McHale said with a laugh after Monday night's practice in Washington. "We'll see how it goes. My goal right now is to help these guys make this team the best team it can be. Now, it's a different team without Al, but they can still be the best team they can be."

Jerry Zgoda • [email protected]

^ A lot to still be played out, but I was pretty much right on with what I said. It's just that I wonder which star they think they can bring it since thedon't have a shot at the Lebron's and Wade's.

I would love for Thabeet to come to Minnesota and as far as PG goes there are quite a few good ones in this upcoming draft: Collison and Holliday from UCLA, TyLawson, Ricky Rubio, and hopefully we have a chance via trade to get Teague from WF. Another guy the Wolves should really look for is Eric Maynor from VCU. Forthose of you who don't know the guy, you should watch him play. He's a winner and a gritty and tough player. They could probably get away with nabbinghim in the second round.

These next few years, and more recently, these next few days will begin the start of the future of Minnesota basketball and the fate of Kevin McHale.

Thabeet would be great as a defender so Jefferson can move to his natural PF spot. I did see a deal today where we could get Samuel Dalembert for some of ourexpiring pieces, if we can get him and then draft another PG that would be nice.

Originally Posted by mrmossyman84

Thabeet would be great as a defender so Jefferson can move to his natural PF spot. I did see a deal today where we could get Samuel Dalembert for some of our expiring pieces, if we can get him and then draft another PG that would be nice.

Dalembert is too old. He's serviceable still, but the Wolves need youth.

This game was on my short list of games we could win the rest of the year...so now I only see 5 games we could win the rest of the year
ohwell.gif

I think Thabeet would fit right in with this team, like one of you said by getting Thabeet, Jefferson would be able to move to the PF spot and start thereevery game where he would be able to dominate even more than he has
eek.gif

And yeah Paul, I know all about Maynor from that Duke came a couple years ago where VCU knocked them out of the tournament..he's got game
smokin.gif

Personally I would like to see us nab a PG or possibly wing before a center. Now who that would be I dont know. ANd that's not to say a shot blocking 7footer wouldnt be nice. But getting a stud PG finally while having to keep Al at center would be fine by me.

It's been so long since this team had a top flight floor general man....

Originally Posted by RyGuy45

It's been so long since this team had a top flight floor general man....

If we don't count Cassell, we're talking all the way back to Terrell Brandon.

Bassy having games like this shows me the potential he has...he won't be a scrub in this league that's for sure

30 points, 8 assists
pimp.gif

Didn't he have like a 15 assist game against G-State in December?

Originally Posted by JPZx

Bassy having games like this shows me the potential he has...he won't be a scrub in this league that's for sure

30 points, 8 assists
pimp.gif

Didn't he have like a 15 assist game against G-State in December?

Yeah, it was something like that. I remember him having a huge assist game earlier in the year too, but not sure the opponent.

I'm actually a bit surprised they pulled it out tonight. I'm really anxious for the next few years.

Alright...its only been a few minutes since the trade but here is the initial break down.
The Sacramento Bee reported that Minnesota has agreed to send guard Rashad McCants and center Calvin Booth to the Kings in exchange for forward Shelden Williams and point guard Bobby Brown.

1. McCants simply had to go.
2. Throw another TWolves lottery pick out the window.
3. Shelden Williams is now on his 3rd team in 3 years after being the 5th pick in the 2006 NBA Draft. He's sitting at 4.6 PPG and 4.1 RPG. He is howevermarried to Candace Parker.
4. Bobby Brown is a 6'2'' rookie out of Cal State Fullerton
5. Calvin Booth's contract is now off the books, not sure right now what the break down was or if that's good or bad or what was left
6. These are some players the Twolves have acquired then traded just in the last 4-5 years: Calvin Booth, Theo Ratliff, Antoine Walker, Mark Blount, RickyDavis, Mike James, Marcus Banks, Michael Olowokandi. Good grief.

Back
Top Bottom