OFFICIAL Minnesota Twins 2009 Season Thread (87-76)---> AL CENTRAL CHAMPS! Great season guys.

Torii Hunter is on his way to a career year. I honestly had thought he peaked at about the time we got rid of him. That still could be this case and this isjust the last gasp flurry of excellences until he completely falls off. Either way, still a favorite of mine. Glad he's doing well.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Torii Hunter is on his way to a career year. I honestly had thought he peaked at about the time we got rid of him. That still could be this case and this is just the last gasp flurry of excellences until he completely falls off. Either way, still a favorite of mine. Glad he's doing well.

Me too. I could sense he experienced a couple epiphanies hitting-wise his last two seasons before Anaheim. I think adopting a different offensive philosophy(different from the singles-friendly, hit the ball the other way aphorisms implemented by the Twins) has helped his slugging percentage immensely.

Happy we have crawled to .500, but we need to head north record-wise beginning around now (which has happened historically under Gardenhire).

^ A thing I hitted most about Torii was him always swinging on the first pitch and his propensity to ground into double plays. I don't watch him that muchanymore, but I'm interested to see if he is still the free swinger he was when he was in Minny on the first pitch. He could've hit 5-10 moreHR's/yr. if he were to ever work the count.

Gomez
88926f919a8b85dce39466b0bd92b677d651d878.gif

HR and a double today
Applause.gif

2-2

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

^ A thing I hitted most about Torii was him always swinging on the first pitch and his propensity to ground into double plays. I don't watch him that much anymore, but I'm interested to see if he is still the free swinger he was when he was in Minny on the first pitch. He could've hit 5-10 more HR's/yr. if he were to ever work the count.

Analyze the numbers. He keeps getting better. This season, an OBP of .400. Obviously, he will not maintain that for a whole season, but his average shouldbe a career high. I remember hearing somewhere that watching Joe Mauer influenced his increased patience at the plate. I miss the guy; if he donned a Twinsuniform, we would certainly be better than a .500 team thus far. Glad he continues to fluorish despite turning 34 this July.

Tough one to lose.

For some reason it seems like we just can't get over .500.....I don't know what it is. We won the series which is nice to see because we're finallyplaying decent on the road but we definitely had a chance to win this game. We got to Lilly with two early runs and Baker pitched well but it just didn'tgo our way tonight. Ayala pitched well....Crain
smh.gif

Next up: 3-game set at home vs the Pittsburgh Pirates

They've been playing decent so far this month so we can't take them lightly (hell they have a similar record as us
sick.gif
)

Hopefully Span gets over that dizziness issue and is back in the lineup by Tuesday.

Pitching matchups for the upcoming series...

Tuesday 6/16
Glen Perkins (1-3, 5.86 ERA) .vs. Charlie Morton (0-0, 0.00 ERA)
Wednesday 6/17
Francisco Liriano (2-7, 5.99 ERA) .vs. Paul Maholm (4-2, 3.61 ERA)
Thursday 6/18
Nick Blackburn (5-2, 3.31 ERA) .vs. Ian Snell (1-7, 5.25 ERA)

That dude Charlie Morton isn't making his first start...his debut was last Wednesday but he left the game in the first inning with hamstring tightness.He's still not 100% to go on Tuesday, but for right now that's where he's projected.

Playing decent is generous. The Cubs are struggling mightily offensively, so really winning this series should have been expected. No offense to Swarzak, buthim pitching a game as well as he did against one of the supposed better teams in the NL is not supposed to be even possible like that...I'll wait untilthey play a team that isn't at the low point of their season.

However, wins are wins, and I'm sure we can all agree that we'll take it. This team needs to make some deals to get together some sort of bullpen. Theydon't even need big names. Just pitchers who don't suck.
laugh.gif

We all joke about how the Twins don't make deadline deals....but I really don't see how the front office could let this deadline come and go in Julywithout us making some sort of move to improve the pen.

Just got back from Wrigley, time of my life
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

The entire outfield stands were Twins people. You also knew the stadium itself was filled when the Cubs players came out to warmup pre game and the entireplace is booing
laugh.gif

Milton Bradley was worth every cent I ended up spending
pimp.gif

Twins bullpen is absolute trash i am tired of watching it.

If Target Field has half the environment as Chicago this is going to be a blast. Bars open at 8 AM, daytime games, people all around the street, after-bars,etc

Over/Under on number of Pirate fans at the Dome tonight? I say under 20, if even that.
laugh.gif

mauer 4-for-4 tonight
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

*chant* MVP MVP MVP

well we were supposed to have our MPLS summit tomorrow night
laugh.gif
that didn't work out...

i'm goin anyway to check out probably my last game in the metrodome.

Originally Posted by nnarum

laugh.gif
@ Bert getting at those goons by saying "Yes, you're on TV!"
roll.gif
This "Circle Me Bert" stuff is getting a little played out
laugh.gif
....I mean when did Bert start doing that? 2002? 2003?

Ya gotta love the people that bring the "Circle Me Bert" signs to the untelevised, Thursday day games holding them up proudly and innocently
roll.gif

Originally Posted by JPZx

Originally Posted by nnarum

laugh.gif
@ Bert getting at those goons by saying "Yes, you're on TV!"
roll.gif
This "Circle Me Bert" stuff is getting a little played out
laugh.gif
....I mean when did Bert start doing that? 2002? 2003?

Ya gotta love the people that bring the "Circle Me Bert" signs to the untelevised, Thursday day games holding them up proudly and innocently
roll.gif
Let them be and enjoy the game even if we find it funny
laugh.gif

At least they're out supporting our team
pimp.gif

I'm not commenting on how well Mauer is doing... I don't want to jinx it.
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom