OFFICIAL Minnesota Twins 2009 Season Thread (87-76)---> AL CENTRAL CHAMPS! Great season guys.

^ How about this one? The Twins have not swept the Texas Rangers in Texas since the early 70's. Saw that one yesterday in the paper.

Looks like the Twinks are 7-12 in Oakland the past four seasons.

Personally what's frustrating me this year is their inability to put their foot on the throat at the end of each series. The Twins have played in 30 seriesso far this year. They have swept three of them.

Beyond that I can't even get more mad....as Ive said for weeks this is a .500 team and nothing more.

Seriously?

20050716philwolfinpaper400x300thumb.jpg

LOL 15 runs after only 5 innings. This rotation is dying. So is this season. Something (or somebody) is going to snap.

%+@%!*! Jesse Crain is the biggest bum in the MLB, I'm calling he blows this game
smh.gif
I don't care how our relief pitching is looking this dude does notbelong on a major league team.

Slowey shutdown again.
smh.gif
I have a feeling he might be lost for the season. If he comes back later on this year, he probably won't be the same.

Go get pitching Twins. #!!%. This season is about to be derailed if they don't do something soon.

It's tough...I'd almost rather suck than play .500 the whole season thinking they can make a run at some point but it never happens. False hope, I tellya.

Buster Olney was just talking on ESPN how Orlando Cabrera might be headed to us...
nerd.gif

We need a couple things. One, we need to grab a guy that can hit and play middle infield because Casilla and Punto simply cannot do it. Our otherwise soundlineup has continuously been crippled by these two guys in the order. Casilla became a beneficial gap for opposing pitchers between Span and Mauer hitting inthe 2 slot, while Punto never found ways of getting on base with any sort of regularity in the 9 slot. A guy like Orlando Cabrera brings exponentially betteroffensive prowess (though practically anyone offers this in comparison). He also brings a 'winner's mentality' that frankly few players on thisteam possess. Secondly, and bluntly, we need our starting pitching to quit pitching with a pine cone up their butts. A very fragile group of guys mentally. Nolaw says inconsistency is a requirement heading into your 2nd year as a rotation together.

If we pick up a bat that occupies SS or 2B, and every single starting pitcher gets out of their funk, we have a shot. This is the first season under Gardenhirewhere I unequivocally think we have underachieved.

it's just so frustrating with the twins pitchers cuz we all know how good they can be, which is VERY GOOD, but they never all seem to come together at thesame time
smh.gif

it's just so frustrating with the twins pitchers cuz we all know how good they can be, which is VERY GOOD, but they never all seem to come together at the same time
smh.gif

I used to think that, too, but maybe most of them are actually really mediocre.

We've seen how great Liriano can be, and I think Slowey is the real deal, but Baker, Blackburn and Perkins are all the same kind of pitcher, and none ofthem are greatly talented. They just scream .500 record and 4.00 ERA.

But, that can be fine if paired with two great pitchers, a great offense and a great bullpen...

Get after George Sherrill. He's no R.A. Dickey, but it's a step in the right direction.

^I think the exact opposite Blackburn and Baker are far and away the best pitchers of the batch. I still think Liriano should be a reliever, and Slowey is meh.

Eh...I'm in agreement with KLJ. There is nothing at all about this staff that doesn't scream mediocrity. I feel like these guys are overacheivers,but looking at it, they are just extremely consistent.

Their consitency is impeccable really. More so guys like Slowey, Baker, Blackburn, and Perkins. None of these dudes will wow you, but they get job done. Itjust feels like these guys are always on the fringe of missing a quality start yet they always pull out that 6 innings, 4 earned runs game.

Liriano...Man, it sucks when we know how great he can be..or was I guess. I don't know if he can ever regain his dominance he had, but he's stillyoung and can learn how to pitch effectively with out the flame throwing and that wicked bite on his slider. It'll just take patience.
Get after George Sherrill. He's no R.A. Dickey, but it's a step in the right direction.
laugh.gif
Meh. Dang skippy.

laugh.gif
The annual player pleas have officially hit:

Twins' All-Stars say it's time a serious trade-deadline move.

ANAHEIM, CALIF. - The Twins' front office historically has been unable to make a significant July trade to help a playoff run.

Twins players want this year to be different.

In what amounted to a plea to General Manager Bill Smith, several players interviewed during the weekend series against the Angels said it's time for the front office to make a significant deal to help their chances of winning the American League Central.

Joe Nathan, Justin Morneau and Joe Mauer spoke over the weekend about how tough it is to be a Twins player at the trade deadline when in most of their years with the club, they have been within striking distance of the postseason before the July 31 deadline for trades without waivers.

"I think, for the most part, we feel like we've had teams that could win,'' Nathan said. "We've fallen short a couple times, and most of us feel like maybe that one little piece of the puzzle to help us out might have been the difference.

"A lot of times it's not that anyone feels we need something to help this club out, more-so to show that everyone is on the same page and everyone is trying to get better and get over the hump and that everyone is on board with one goal: to get where we need to be.''

Mauer said that, ultimately, the team has to win with what it has in the clubhouse. But the failure of the team to make an impact July trade has conditioned him to believe that nothing will happen, once again, this season.

"Yeah, there's frustration," Mauer said, "but I've learned over the last few years not to try to get my hopes up that we'll have something, then get disappointed.''

The players have heard the reports that the club is interested in Oakland shortstop Orlando Cabrera and reliever Michael Wuertz. They've heard about the interest in Pittsburgh infielder Freddy Sanchez and that the club contacted Toronto about its relievers and infielder Marco Scutaro.

All they ask for is to close a deal.

The players contend that it's time to win now when the front office remains cautious about holding on to its prospects.

"It's frustrating, very frustrating,'' Morneau said. "You hear about the future, the future. I don't know who gets to decide when that is or when they think that is.

"You have a core of a lineup that can compete with anyone in the league. One of the best closers in the game. Young starting pitching that might be missing one veteran guy to show them the way.

"It makes a difference to have someone like that.''

Smith was told of Morneau's and Nathan's comments on Sunday.

"I have great respect for guys like Morneau and Nathan," Smith said. "They are in there grinding it out, day after day after day. Certainly, every year we get to this point and we hope to be able to supplement this club and that's the case this year."

The Twins' last key July trade came in 2003, when they traded Bobby Kielty to Toronto for Shannon Stewart. Stewart hit .322 and helped the Twins reach the postseason.

Twins players who were around in 2007 still haven't forgotten how they felt when then-GM Terry Ryan dealt leadoff hitter Luis Castillo to the Mets when they needed offense to try to catch Cleveland in the Central. "That left a bad taste in our mouths," Nathan said. "Are we trying?''

Bullpen help was a priority last season. The only move the Twins made was an August trade for former Twin Eddie Guardado, who ended up getting passed over for Jose Mijares down the stretch.

Now, with Mauer set to be a free agent after the 2010 season, Morneau and Nathan said the front office should show the St. Paul native that it's serious about winning.

"If we don't do anything this year, I can't see how he's going to want to come back and go through this every year,'' Morneau said.

Said Nathan: "It's important to show the hometown boy that this organization wants to win."

Added Mauer: "I think Morny and Joe, the guys you talked to, are the same way. They want to win. We want to have chances to win. That's going to be a big factor into my decision. But I don't have to make that decision for a while.''

Smith, when told of those comments, declined to respond.

GREAT comments in there.
pimp.gif

What a joke...

Sad thing is im not even sure I WANT Bill Smith making a deal as odds state we will be fleeced.
eyes.gif

Prove us wrong Bill.

I can't even imagine what it's like to play for this organization in certain ways.

Back
Top Bottom