Official MLB Offseason Post: Michael Young asks for a trade.

texas is a good fit for beltre...smart move imo.

until theres a cap, spend it if you got it. texas is a solid market...they can handle it

Proshares wrote:
The best defensive third baseman in the game going to that hitters park with the protection he'll have in that lineup. He'll live up to that contract. It's not like he's going to Seattle to bat behind Richie Sexson, Ben Broussard and Milton Bradley.
Maybe he can start juicing again too. With all of that money he has there is sure to be some lab out there with something undetectable.

Proshares wrote:
The best defensive third baseman in the game going to that hitters park with the protection he'll have in that lineup. He'll live up to that contract. It's not like he's going to Seattle to bat behind Richie Sexson, Ben Broussard and Milton Bradley.
Maybe he can start juicing again too. With all of that money he has there is sure to be some lab out there with something undetectable.

laugh.gif
rangers fans better hope beltre hits that juice again. 6 years for nearly 100?
laugh.gif
WOW

3. The Albert Pujols negotiations. The slugger has become to the Cardinals what Cal Ripken once meant to the Baltimore Orioles, and he is set to enter the last year of his contract in a year in which he turns 31. Inevitably, the question will be asked: If not the Cardinals, then what team would be willing to pay Pujols what he will seek, at a time when the big-money powers in the Bronx and Boston have already filled first base? The Cubs? The Dodgers? The Angels? Other teams presume that Pujols will remain in St. Louis, after an extended game of chicken.
dog_praying.jpg

3. The Albert Pujols negotiations. The slugger has become to the Cardinals what Cal Ripken once meant to the Baltimore Orioles, and he is set to enter the last year of his contract in a year in which he turns 31. Inevitably, the question will be asked: If not the Cardinals, then what team would be willing to pay Pujols what he will seek, at a time when the big-money powers in the Bronx and Boston have already filled first base? The Cubs? The Dodgers? The Angels? Other teams presume that Pujols will remain in St. Louis, after an extended game of chicken.
dog_praying.jpg

What I don't understand is, why don't more teams frontload these huge contracts so it'll be easier to move the players when they're on the decline. That's one thing I never understood in sports, you should be paying them the big bucks in their best years, instead of the gradual increase.

What I don't understand is, why don't more teams frontload these huge contracts so it'll be easier to move the players when they're on the decline. That's one thing I never understood in sports, you should be paying them the big bucks in their best years, instead of the gradual increase.

They'll regret this deal for sure. Beltre has always been a great defensive third basemen, but he's 31 now, and his reaction time/mobility will only continue to decline into his mid 30s. So for the first two years or so of the contract they will have great third basemen, for the next two they will have a good one, and the last two they will have an average one.

Offensively, I'm not even that optimistic. The only two years of his career where he had an OPS of >.840 were his two contract years. He has also never posted consistently good on-base numbers (best indicator of long term offensive value). Combine that with the fact that there is little doubt in my mind that his numbers will regress to the mean of his career, and in two years you're looking at a merely good third basemen with an OPS around .800 at best.

IMO, of course.

They'll regret this deal for sure. Beltre has always been a great defensive third basemen, but he's 31 now, and his reaction time/mobility will only continue to decline into his mid 30s. So for the first two years or so of the contract they will have great third basemen, for the next two they will have a good one, and the last two they will have an average one.

Offensively, I'm not even that optimistic. The only two years of his career where he had an OPS of >.840 were his two contract years. He has also never posted consistently good on-base numbers (best indicator of long term offensive value). Combine that with the fact that there is little doubt in my mind that his numbers will regress to the mean of his career, and in two years you're looking at a merely good third basemen with an OPS around .800 at best.

IMO, of course.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

dog_praying.jpg

im sure Arte will pump fake you guys into thinking its a possibility.
laugh.gif

dog_praying.jpg

im sure Arte will pump fake you guys into thinking its a possibility.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by abovelegit1

IMO, of course.
If he's an .800 OPS guy, and I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility in that lineup in Arlington, he's more than worth every dollar of that contract.

There's a blow-up factor involved here, to be sure, I just don't think it's as big as some of you seem to think. He wasn't the total bust in Seattle that everybody wants to believe he was.

IMO, of course.
If he's an .800 OPS guy, and I don't think that's out of the realm of possibility in that lineup in Arlington, he's more than worth every dollar of that contract.

There's a blow-up factor involved here, to be sure, I just don't think it's as big as some of you seem to think. He wasn't the total bust in Seattle that everybody wants to believe he was.

The Reds signe Jeremy Hermida to a minor league contract. Hopefully he can turn into another Gomes type signing.

The Reds signe Jeremy Hermida to a minor league contract. Hopefully he can turn into another Gomes type signing.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

IMO, of course.

I do think his OPS will be around .800 for the first two years, but it'll slip based on his career OB numbers, his past performance outside of contract years, and normal baseball players' career arcs. So I don't really see solid third basemen with an OPS around .770 will be worth ~16 mil per (a top 25 salary) in two or three years. You don't have to be clairvoyant to realize that there is NO way Beltre will be worth every penny of 96 mil over 6.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

IMO, of course.

I do think his OPS will be around .800 for the first two years, but it'll slip based on his career OB numbers, his past performance outside of contract years, and normal baseball players' career arcs. So I don't really see solid third basemen with an OPS around .770 will be worth ~16 mil per (a top 25 salary) in two or three years. You don't have to be clairvoyant to realize that there is NO way Beltre will be worth every penny of 96 mil over 6.

dog_praying.jpg

forgetting Morales already?

dog_praying.jpg

forgetting Morales already?

Back
Top Bottom