Official MLB Offseason Post: Michael Young asks for a trade.

yea its looking like the basement for us this year. i expected a worse year last year. this year will be a wash until all that money comes off the books.

for real though, trading DWright might /Mets for me.

yea its looking like the basement for us this year. i expected a worse year last year. this year will be a wash until all that money comes off the books.

for real though, trading DWright might /Mets for me.

Cubs haven't done a God damn thing all summer other then watch the Cards pick up players again. 
sick.gif

Somebody put a @#$%^& fire sale sign outside Wrigley already.  Stop wasting my damn time, we ain't close, so sell the vets we have for prospects, get what you can, get on with it. 

Cubs haven't done a God damn thing all summer other then watch the Cards pick up players again. 
sick.gif

Somebody put a @#$%^& fire sale sign outside Wrigley already.  Stop wasting my damn time, we ain't close, so sell the vets we have for prospects, get what you can, get on with it. 

^your ex player theriot took a jab at the cubs when he joined the cards sayin that hes on the winnin side of the rivalry
laugh.gif

^your ex player theriot took a jab at the cubs when he joined the cards sayin that hes on the winnin side of the rivalry
laugh.gif

Just today I have heard the A's are involved in talks with:

Derek Lee
Vladdy
Beltre
Beltran
Josh Willingham
Dennys Reyes
Greg Zaun
Matsui
Brandon McCarthy

...And none of them will want to play for us.

Just today I have heard the A's are involved in talks with:

Derek Lee
Vladdy
Beltre
Beltran
Josh Willingham
Dennys Reyes
Greg Zaun
Matsui
Brandon McCarthy

...And none of them will want to play for us.

CP1708 wrote:
sick.gif

Who the hell has two fire sales in a 12 months span.

laugh.gif

Anyways ppl in Chicago will crucify Ricketts and the Cubs for shipping out guys like Dempster, Marshall, Marmol, Soto and Byrd

CP1708 wrote:
sick.gif

laugh.gif

Anyways ppl in Chicago will crucify Ricketts and the Cubs for shipping out guys like Dempster, Marshall, Marmol, Soto and Byrd

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

CP1708 wrote:
sick.gif

laugh.gif

Then people in Chicago are idiots.  Marmol goes NO WHERE, i didn't say him, but Dempster, Marshall, Soto, Byrd, all can be haf if they are wanted.  I'll give Z away for a single A catcher, I don't care. 

And why the @#$% would Chicago people give a damn if Sean God Damn Marshall is traded?  What the @#$%?  No damn wonder we suck.  We don't wanna trade our 8th inning guy? 
sick.gif

Man, screw that, they made a run a few years ago, it didn't pan out, time to move all those guys along and start again.  Not half @#$ it and stay mediocre even longer.  Blow it up, and start from scratch. 

Originally Posted by Stringer Bell 32

CP1708 wrote:
sick.gif

laugh.gif

Then people in Chicago are idiots.  Marmol goes NO WHERE, i didn't say him, but Dempster, Marshall, Soto, Byrd, all can be haf if they are wanted.  I'll give Z away for a single A catcher, I don't care. 

And why the @#$% would Chicago people give a damn if Sean God Damn Marshall is traded?  What the @#$%?  No damn wonder we suck.  We don't wanna trade our 8th inning guy? 
sick.gif

Man, screw that, they made a run a few years ago, it didn't pan out, time to move all those guys along and start again.  Not half @#$ it and stay mediocre even longer.  Blow it up, and start from scratch. 

Originally Posted by Proshares

Haren is a HR machine, I feel like I've been telling you that for years BK
laugh.gif
You definitely have in the past
laugh.gif
. I don't know what it is, but ever since he was on Oakland, I've wanted him on the Yanks.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Haren is a HR machine, I feel like I've been telling you that for years BK
laugh.gif
You definitely have in the past
laugh.gif
. I don't know what it is, but ever since he was on Oakland, I've wanted him on the Yanks.

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Where are the nationals getting all this money from?
The Lerners are worth over a billion.  Glad to see the Nats makin moves 
pimp.gif
 (no matter how ill-advised)

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

Where are the nationals getting all this money from?
The Lerners are worth over a billion.  Glad to see the Nats makin moves 
pimp.gif
 (no matter how ill-advised)

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Chicago White Sox general manager Ken Williams said Tuesday that negotiations with free agent Paul Konerko are at a standstill, prompting him to start seriously considering other options.

[h4]ESPNChicago.com White Sox blog[/h4]
The latest news and notes on the White Sox. Blog

By no means are the Konerko talks finished. Konerko's agent, Craig Landis, said that talks with the White Sox are ongoing.

But a source has indicated that the White Sox will now concentrate on rebuilding their bullpen with Williams admitting he had meetings lined up to talk to player representatives later Tuesday evening.

"Where do negotiations stand? ... Still," Williams said. "I was very hopeful coming down here. I'm less hopeful now.

"I was hoping it wouldn't necessarily come down to getting serious with our other options, but we have no choice at this point."

The White Sox were believed to be offering three years and between $36 million and $39 million. But Adam Dunn's new deal was worth $14 million a year, and indications are that Konerko's camp is holding strong for at least the same, if not slightly more.

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Three weeks ago, he was the most talked about trade chip at the annual general managers' meetings. But by Tuesday, it was all but official: Justin Upton isn't going anywhere.

[h4]Justin Upton[/h4][h5]#10 RF
Arizona Diamondbacks[/h5]
2010 STATS
  • GM133
  • HR17
  • RBI69
  • R73
  • OBP.356
  • AVG.273

Trade talks involving the Diamondbacks' 23-year-old right fielder have "just about died," a source familiar with the discussions told ESPN.com. While Arizona will still listen, the source said, the club is no longer motivated to trade him because it has begun filling some of the holes it would have plugged by dealing Upton.

Two dozen teams checked in on Upton over the last several weeks. But the Diamondbacks wanted a huge package back -- anywhere between three and five can't-miss young players, including two who, other teams were told, would have to become "the next Justin Upton."

Ultimately, no team was willing to pay that hefty a price, even for a player who has already made an All-Star team and is signed for the next five years. So the Diamondbacks have decided to move on and try to build a team around Upton instead of seeing if it could build a nucleus with players obtained by trading him.

TAMPA, Fla. -- New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman is on the verge of making Cliff Lee a very lucrative offer. Cashman is just waiting for the green light from the player's agent.

"I'm willing to get serious," said Cashman, who once again was scheduled to talk with agent Darek Braunecker on Tuesday night.

[h4]Cliff Lee In Photos[/h4]
As the Yankees pursue Cliff Lee, ESPNNewYork.com looks back at the free-agent ace's stellar career.
Photo gallery

Cashman said Braunecker is setting the pace of the negotiations so the Yankees must go step for step with him.

In an effort to explore other options, Cashman said he has met with an unnamed player and might meet with two others. The Yankees have interest in Carl Crawford as a fallback option if Lee falls through.

The Texas Rangers also continued their pursuit of Lee on Tuesday. Team president Nolan Ryan said that he's more encouraged now than he was a week ago about the prospect of his club landing the pitcher.

"There doesn't seem to be anybody that's stepped out and seems to be the lead pursuer," Ryan said.

The Rangers met briefly on Tuesday for the second straight day with Braunecker, and more meetings are expected, possibly as early as Tuesday night.

While there have been reports of possible seven-year offers for Lee, the Yankees ideally would like to limit a Lee contract to six seasons. They reportedly may go as high as $25 million per year.

While some may consider it a bluff, the Yankees have indicated that they don't want to see their budget rise above the $200-$210 million mark.

[h4]The Doug Gottlieb Show[/h4]
ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney talks about the relationship between the Yankees and Derek Jeter, the Cliff Lee sweepstakes, the Nationals deal with Jayson Werth, Adrian Beltre and Rafael Soriano.

"I'm a budget guy, you know that," Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner said. "But, we have some money to spend. If we have money coming off [the books], we put most or all of it back in. That's what the fans expect. They expect us to field a good team every year. So we expect to field a good team every year and we are going to do that."

Would Steinbrenner let Cashman extend the budget?

"I'm always willing to entertain [new concepts] whenever someone comes in to my office," Steinbrenner said.

Like Cashman, manager Joe Girardi said on Tuesday he was unsure if Andy Pettitte will return or retire. Pettitte's decision likely won't come until after Lee's. For now, Lee is the Yankees' focus.

"I know what we are willing to do and how far we are willing to go," Cashman said of the Lee contract. "We would love to add Cliff Lee to the Yankee rotation. He knows that. I have a great working relationship with the agent. The player has good ties to some of the players on the team. But, at the end of the day, it is business. It is all business."

Lee and his family are very close with CC Sabathia's family from their days playing together in Cleveland.

"As a free agent, they dictate the pace," Cashman said. "We have to have to go the dance step. That's how it is."
[h3][/h3]
[h3][/h3]
[h3]Rangers to trade Michael Young?[/h3]
6:03PM ET

[h5]Michael Young | Rangers[/h5]

Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com tweets Tuesday that the Texas Rangers are fielding offers for infielder Michael Young. Young, 34, hit .284/.330/.444 with 21 home runs in 2010, but is due $48 million over the next three season.

The Rangers may have to be willing to send cash along with Young, and probably have to accept the idea that they may not get much in return. Clubs that could view Young as an option may include the St. Louis Cardinals, San Francisco Giants, Los Angeles Angels and Toronto Blue Jays.

The Rangers could be trying to pave the way for a future move, since if Young were dealt he would vacate third base, and the club does not have an obvious in-house option at the position. Might Adrian Beltre be an option in Arlington?

Rosenthal writes, however, that the Rangers could be looking to clear payroll because of their sizable offer to Cliff Lee, and that trading Young now maks sense because he will become a 10-5 player next May, enabling him to block any trade.

- Jason A. Churchill

http://[h3]The market for Derrek Lee[/h3]
5:47PM ET

[h5]Derrek Lee | Braves[/h5]

A number of clubs could use a first baseman, or even an upgrade at the position, including the Los Angeles Dodgers, Texas Rangers, Baltimore Orioles, Toronto Blue Jays, Washington Nationals and Chicago Cubs. The Nationals have been linked to Carlos Pena, as have the Blue Jays and Cubs, and the Orioles went hard after Paul Konerko without success.

The O's, , ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick tweets, will have interest in free agent Derrek Lee, "if the medicals check out."

The Rangers could view Lee as a backup plan to Konerko, who is rumored heavily to be close to re-signing with the White Sox, and the loser of the Pena sweepstakes could see Lee as an option, but it appears unlikely that the Cubs would go back down that road again.

The Dodgers, who may or may not have interest in Prince Fielder, could see Lee as an upgrade to James Loney, but may not have much money to spend.

- Jason A. Churchill

http://[h3]Ryan more encouraged on Lee chances[/h3]
5:36PM ET

[h5]Cliff Lee | Rangers[/h5]

UPDATE: Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram tweets late Tuesday afternoon that Nolan Ryan is "more encouraged this week than last that Cliff Lee will sign with #Rangers," a sentiment that backs up what manager Ron Washington told reporters Monday.

UPDATE: Lee's offer from the Yankees will be for six years, tweets Olney. The belief here could be that the Yankees may go nuts on a five-year deal but won't go seven.

UPDATE:Our Buster Olney tweets Tuesday morning there is a growing speculation among rival agents and executives that the Washington Nationals are going to throw a HUGE number at Cliff Lee.

--

A lucky seven could be what it takes to land Cliff Lee.

The winter meetings began in earnest Monday and plenty of attention focused on Lee, the free agent left-hander who is being aggressively pursued by the Texas Rangers and New York Yankees.

Agent Darek Braunecker met separately Monday with both Texas GM Jon Daniels and Yankees counterpart Brian Cashman. ESPN the Magazine's Buster Olney reported that money was not discussed with Cashman, nor were parameters put forth. Olney added Tuesday morning that Braunecker is still trying to drum up interest from other teams.

Meanwhile, Ken Rosenthalreported early Tuesday morning that at least one unidentified team has expressed a willingness to offer Lee a seven-year deal, but no such offer had been made as of Monday night. Another source tells Rosenthal that the Yankees do not plan to make a seven-year offer.

George King of the New York Post believes the Yankees are willing to spend $23 million per season on Lee, which also might be too rich for the Rangers.

There have been conflicting reports whether the Yankees have offered Lee a six-year deal worth $140 million. If that is true, it might be enough to get it done.

Meanwhile, the Red Sox have talked with the agent for Lee, reports WEEI.com's Rob Bradford.

ESPN.com's Jayson Stark can't find anybody who doesn't expect the Lee auction to come down to the Yankees and Rangers.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Rays talking Garza trade?[/h3]
5:29PM ET

[h5]Matt Garza | Rays[/h5]

Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune tweets that the Milwaukee Brewers are "rekindling talks" with the Tampa Bay Rays regarding right-hander Matt Garza, and that the Brewers may be willing to include center field prospect Lorenzo Cain.

Garza is arbitration eligible this winter after making $3.35 million in 2010, but he is under club control for two more seasons.

Milwaukee was linked to Carl Pavano earlier Tuesday, and traded for right-hander Shaun Marcum on day 1 of the winter meetings.

The Brewers may have competition, however, as the Washington Nationals may prefer to deal for Garza than for Greinke, writes Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post.

Cain would presumably be a candidate to take over for Carl Crawford in Tampa, but his presence could also make B.J. Upton trade bait as well. Last summer, GM Andrew Friedman told reporters that he didn't want to move Upton because of his defense, but Cain has similar defensively capabilities.

- Jason A. Churchill

http://[h3]Halos' 3B options[/h3]
5:16PM ET

[h5]Los Angeles Angels[/h5]

One look at the team stat page and it's clear the Los Angeles Angels could use help at third base. But their connection to Adrian Beltre's free agency may not mean a whole lot, as manager Mike Scioscia told the media today in Florida.

Rumor Central's Chris Sprow's take: "Given what he has currently, Scioscia notes a possible combo of Alberto Callaspo and Brandon Wood as 'a fragile balance' going into the spring."

Wood has struggled mightily in his big-league stints, but did show well in the Arizona Fall League, hitting .341/.385/.489, though he did continue to struggle with the strikeout.

The Angels could still jump into the market for Beltre, who is said to be seeking a five-year deal worth between $70-85 million.

- Jason A. Churchill

http://[h3]Mets to add 'pen arm?[/h3]
4:56PM ET

[h5]D.J. Carrasco | Diamondbacks[/h5]

The New York Mets, in an attempt to shore up their bullpen without spending tons of money, are nearing a deal with right-hander .J. Carrasco, tweets Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse.

Carrasco, 33, could share setup duties with Bobby Parnell, and the Mets may still be interested in a left-hander to replace Pedro Feliciano, who was a solid workhorse for the Mets the past two seasons.

Price's tweet mentioned that the two sides were working on a two-year contract, and though no terms have been reported, we have to believe the Mets still have some payroll space left to address the starting rotation.

- Jason A. Churchill

http://[h3]Philly's OF situation[/h3]
4:43PM ET

[h5]Philadelphia Phillies[/h5]

With Jayson Werth headed to Washington, the Philadelphia Phillies are looking in another direction for outfield help. Reports have them connected to free agents Jeff Francoeur and Matt Diaz, but the presence of Ben Francisco, a fairly similar player, could limit the salary commitments they might make to either player.

The club has not been linked to Magglio Ordonez at this stage, nor Andruw Jones, Austin Kearns or Xavier Nady, but the asking price may be high this early in the game and the Phillies could keep an eye on that group as the winter progresses.

We discussed the rumors last month surrounding the potential trade involving Raul Ibanez and Chicago White Sox outfielder Carlos Quentin, but that possibility may live only if the Sox are unable to re-sign Paul Konerko.

The Phillies may go with a platoon of Francisco, or another veteran, and top prospect Domonic Brown, whom manager Charlie Manuel is not ready to send back to the minors, according to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

http://[h3]Nats call on Greinke[/h3]
4:12PM ET

[h5]Zack Greinke | Royals[/h5]

UPDATE: Danny Knobler of CBS Sports reports Tuesday that the Nationals have called the Royals to express their interest in Greinke.

UPDATE: Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse tweets Tuesday afternoon that clubs are improving their offers for Greinke. The Royals were reportedly "annoyed" by the Rangers' initial offer.

There has been no indication of another club making an official offer, but the Blue Jays, Twins, Yankees and Red Sox could all do so, though Boston's inventory of young talent is down three after the trade to acquire Adrian Gonzalez.

Speculation on the future of Zack Greinke has heated up at winter meetings, but what are the Kansas City Royals looking for in return?

In Tuesday's blog, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney writes there isthere is very little impact pitching available on the open market. "So Dayton Moore, the Royals' general manager, is asking for the sun and the moon and first-born male children, plus some really good pitching prospects -- which is what he should do," Olney writes.

Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star tweeted Monday night that talks between the Rangers and Royals about Greinke have stalled, just as they did between KC and Toronto earlier in the day.

It does appear, however, that the Royals are strongly considering moving their ace, and that the Blue Jays and Rangers are the most interested clubs.

One unnamed Royals official told Dutton in Sunday's Star: "We'd want two young players who can make a major impact, and maybe two guys who can help us out in some way. If we don't get that, we don't make the trade. It's that simple."

While the price remains high, Olney might not stay that way forever:

- Doug Mittler

olney_buster_30.jpg
[h5]Buster Olney[/h5]
Time for Royals to sell high?
"The Royals know this, too: Greinke had a mediocre 2010 season, and the broad view within the sport is that Greinke was bored, at times. Some players deal well with playing on a losing team -- like Felix Hernandez, who kept his focus throughout the entire 2010 season despite being 'supported' miserably by the Mariners' offense -- and some players don't handle it that well. If the Royals keep Greinke into the 2011 season and his ERA again hovers near 4.00, he will lose the mulligan that rival evaluators are giving him for his 2010 performance. His trade value will drop significantly."

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Chicago White Sox general manager Ken Williams said Tuesday that negotiations with free agent Paul Konerko are at a standstill, prompting him to start seriously considering other options.

[h4]ESPNChicago.com White Sox blog[/h4]
The latest news and notes on the White Sox. Blog

By no means are the Konerko talks finished. Konerko's agent, Craig Landis, said that talks with the White Sox are ongoing.

But a source has indicated that the White Sox will now concentrate on rebuilding their bullpen with Williams admitting he had meetings lined up to talk to player representatives later Tuesday evening.

"Where do negotiations stand? ... Still," Williams said. "I was very hopeful coming down here. I'm less hopeful now.

"I was hoping it wouldn't necessarily come down to getting serious with our other options, but we have no choice at this point."

The White Sox were believed to be offering three years and between $36 million and $39 million. But Adam Dunn's new deal was worth $14 million a year, and indications are that Konerko's camp is holding strong for at least the same, if not slightly more.

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- Three weeks ago, he was the most talked about trade chip at the annual general managers' meetings. But by Tuesday, it was all but official: Justin Upton isn't going anywhere.

[h4]Justin Upton[/h4][h5]#10 RF
Arizona Diamondbacks[/h5]
2010 STATS
  • GM133
  • HR17
  • RBI69
  • R73
  • OBP.356
  • AVG.273

Trade talks involving the Diamondbacks' 23-year-old right fielder have "just about died," a source familiar with the discussions told ESPN.com. While Arizona will still listen, the source said, the club is no longer motivated to trade him because it has begun filling some of the holes it would have plugged by dealing Upton.

Two dozen teams checked in on Upton over the last several weeks. But the Diamondbacks wanted a huge package back -- anywhere between three and five can't-miss young players, including two who, other teams were told, would have to become "the next Justin Upton."

Ultimately, no team was willing to pay that hefty a price, even for a player who has already made an All-Star team and is signed for the next five years. So the Diamondbacks have decided to move on and try to build a team around Upton instead of seeing if it could build a nucleus with players obtained by trading him.

TAMPA, Fla. -- New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman is on the verge of making Cliff Lee a very lucrative offer. Cashman is just waiting for the green light from the player's agent.

"I'm willing to get serious," said Cashman, who once again was scheduled to talk with agent Darek Braunecker on Tuesday night.

[h4]Cliff Lee In Photos[/h4]
As the Yankees pursue Cliff Lee, ESPNNewYork.com looks back at the free-agent ace's stellar career.
Photo gallery

Cashman said Braunecker is setting the pace of the negotiations so the Yankees must go step for step with him.

In an effort to explore other options, Cashman said he has met with an unnamed player and might meet with two others. The Yankees have interest in Carl Crawford as a fallback option if Lee falls through.

The Texas Rangers also continued their pursuit of Lee on Tuesday. Team president Nolan Ryan said that he's more encouraged now than he was a week ago about the prospect of his club landing the pitcher.

"There doesn't seem to be anybody that's stepped out and seems to be the lead pursuer," Ryan said.

The Rangers met briefly on Tuesday for the second straight day with Braunecker, and more meetings are expected, possibly as early as Tuesday night.

While there have been reports of possible seven-year offers for Lee, the Yankees ideally would like to limit a Lee contract to six seasons. They reportedly may go as high as $25 million per year.

While some may consider it a bluff, the Yankees have indicated that they don't want to see their budget rise above the $200-$210 million mark.

[h4]The Doug Gottlieb Show[/h4]
ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney talks about the relationship between the Yankees and Derek Jeter, the Cliff Lee sweepstakes, the Nationals deal with Jayson Werth, Adrian Beltre and Rafael Soriano.

"I'm a budget guy, you know that," Yankees owner Hal Steinbrenner said. "But, we have some money to spend. If we have money coming off [the books], we put most or all of it back in. That's what the fans expect. They expect us to field a good team every year. So we expect to field a good team every year and we are going to do that."

Would Steinbrenner let Cashman extend the budget?

"I'm always willing to entertain [new concepts] whenever someone comes in to my office," Steinbrenner said.

Like Cashman, manager Joe Girardi said on Tuesday he was unsure if Andy Pettitte will return or retire. Pettitte's decision likely won't come until after Lee's. For now, Lee is the Yankees' focus.

"I know what we are willing to do and how far we are willing to go," Cashman said of the Lee contract. "We would love to add Cliff Lee to the Yankee rotation. He knows that. I have a great working relationship with the agent. The player has good ties to some of the players on the team. But, at the end of the day, it is business. It is all business."

Lee and his family are very close with CC Sabathia's family from their days playing together in Cleveland.

"As a free agent, they dictate the pace," Cashman said. "We have to have to go the dance step. That's how it is."
[h3][/h3]
[h3][/h3]
[h3]Rangers to trade Michael Young?[/h3]
6:03PM ET

[h5]Michael Young | Rangers[/h5]

Ken Rosenthal of FoxSports.com tweets Tuesday that the Texas Rangers are fielding offers for infielder Michael Young. Young, 34, hit .284/.330/.444 with 21 home runs in 2010, but is due $48 million over the next three season.

The Rangers may have to be willing to send cash along with Young, and probably have to accept the idea that they may not get much in return. Clubs that could view Young as an option may include the St. Louis Cardinals, San Francisco Giants, Los Angeles Angels and Toronto Blue Jays.

The Rangers could be trying to pave the way for a future move, since if Young were dealt he would vacate third base, and the club does not have an obvious in-house option at the position. Might Adrian Beltre be an option in Arlington?

Rosenthal writes, however, that the Rangers could be looking to clear payroll because of their sizable offer to Cliff Lee, and that trading Young now maks sense because he will become a 10-5 player next May, enabling him to block any trade.

- Jason A. Churchill

http://[h3]The market for Derrek Lee[/h3]
5:47PM ET

[h5]Derrek Lee | Braves[/h5]

A number of clubs could use a first baseman, or even an upgrade at the position, including the Los Angeles Dodgers, Texas Rangers, Baltimore Orioles, Toronto Blue Jays, Washington Nationals and Chicago Cubs. The Nationals have been linked to Carlos Pena, as have the Blue Jays and Cubs, and the Orioles went hard after Paul Konerko without success.

The O's, , ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick tweets, will have interest in free agent Derrek Lee, "if the medicals check out."

The Rangers could view Lee as a backup plan to Konerko, who is rumored heavily to be close to re-signing with the White Sox, and the loser of the Pena sweepstakes could see Lee as an option, but it appears unlikely that the Cubs would go back down that road again.

The Dodgers, who may or may not have interest in Prince Fielder, could see Lee as an upgrade to James Loney, but may not have much money to spend.

- Jason A. Churchill

http://[h3]Ryan more encouraged on Lee chances[/h3]
5:36PM ET

[h5]Cliff Lee | Rangers[/h5]

UPDATE: Jeff Wilson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram tweets late Tuesday afternoon that Nolan Ryan is "more encouraged this week than last that Cliff Lee will sign with #Rangers," a sentiment that backs up what manager Ron Washington told reporters Monday.

UPDATE: Lee's offer from the Yankees will be for six years, tweets Olney. The belief here could be that the Yankees may go nuts on a five-year deal but won't go seven.

UPDATE:Our Buster Olney tweets Tuesday morning there is a growing speculation among rival agents and executives that the Washington Nationals are going to throw a HUGE number at Cliff Lee.

--

A lucky seven could be what it takes to land Cliff Lee.

The winter meetings began in earnest Monday and plenty of attention focused on Lee, the free agent left-hander who is being aggressively pursued by the Texas Rangers and New York Yankees.

Agent Darek Braunecker met separately Monday with both Texas GM Jon Daniels and Yankees counterpart Brian Cashman. ESPN the Magazine's Buster Olney reported that money was not discussed with Cashman, nor were parameters put forth. Olney added Tuesday morning that Braunecker is still trying to drum up interest from other teams.

Meanwhile, Ken Rosenthalreported early Tuesday morning that at least one unidentified team has expressed a willingness to offer Lee a seven-year deal, but no such offer had been made as of Monday night. Another source tells Rosenthal that the Yankees do not plan to make a seven-year offer.

George King of the New York Post believes the Yankees are willing to spend $23 million per season on Lee, which also might be too rich for the Rangers.

There have been conflicting reports whether the Yankees have offered Lee a six-year deal worth $140 million. If that is true, it might be enough to get it done.

Meanwhile, the Red Sox have talked with the agent for Lee, reports WEEI.com's Rob Bradford.

ESPN.com's Jayson Stark can't find anybody who doesn't expect the Lee auction to come down to the Yankees and Rangers.

- Doug Mittler

http://[h3]Rays talking Garza trade?[/h3]
5:29PM ET

[h5]Matt Garza | Rays[/h5]

Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune tweets that the Milwaukee Brewers are "rekindling talks" with the Tampa Bay Rays regarding right-hander Matt Garza, and that the Brewers may be willing to include center field prospect Lorenzo Cain.

Garza is arbitration eligible this winter after making $3.35 million in 2010, but he is under club control for two more seasons.

Milwaukee was linked to Carl Pavano earlier Tuesday, and traded for right-hander Shaun Marcum on day 1 of the winter meetings.

The Brewers may have competition, however, as the Washington Nationals may prefer to deal for Garza than for Greinke, writes Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post.

Cain would presumably be a candidate to take over for Carl Crawford in Tampa, but his presence could also make B.J. Upton trade bait as well. Last summer, GM Andrew Friedman told reporters that he didn't want to move Upton because of his defense, but Cain has similar defensively capabilities.

- Jason A. Churchill

http://[h3]Halos' 3B options[/h3]
5:16PM ET

[h5]Los Angeles Angels[/h5]

One look at the team stat page and it's clear the Los Angeles Angels could use help at third base. But their connection to Adrian Beltre's free agency may not mean a whole lot, as manager Mike Scioscia told the media today in Florida.

Rumor Central's Chris Sprow's take: "Given what he has currently, Scioscia notes a possible combo of Alberto Callaspo and Brandon Wood as 'a fragile balance' going into the spring."

Wood has struggled mightily in his big-league stints, but did show well in the Arizona Fall League, hitting .341/.385/.489, though he did continue to struggle with the strikeout.

The Angels could still jump into the market for Beltre, who is said to be seeking a five-year deal worth between $70-85 million.

- Jason A. Churchill

http://[h3]Mets to add 'pen arm?[/h3]
4:56PM ET

[h5]D.J. Carrasco | Diamondbacks[/h5]

The New York Mets, in an attempt to shore up their bullpen without spending tons of money, are nearing a deal with right-hander .J. Carrasco, tweets Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse.

Carrasco, 33, could share setup duties with Bobby Parnell, and the Mets may still be interested in a left-hander to replace Pedro Feliciano, who was a solid workhorse for the Mets the past two seasons.

Price's tweet mentioned that the two sides were working on a two-year contract, and though no terms have been reported, we have to believe the Mets still have some payroll space left to address the starting rotation.

- Jason A. Churchill

http://[h3]Philly's OF situation[/h3]
4:43PM ET

[h5]Philadelphia Phillies[/h5]

With Jayson Werth headed to Washington, the Philadelphia Phillies are looking in another direction for outfield help. Reports have them connected to free agents Jeff Francoeur and Matt Diaz, but the presence of Ben Francisco, a fairly similar player, could limit the salary commitments they might make to either player.

The club has not been linked to Magglio Ordonez at this stage, nor Andruw Jones, Austin Kearns or Xavier Nady, but the asking price may be high this early in the game and the Phillies could keep an eye on that group as the winter progresses.

We discussed the rumors last month surrounding the potential trade involving Raul Ibanez and Chicago White Sox outfielder Carlos Quentin, but that possibility may live only if the Sox are unable to re-sign Paul Konerko.

The Phillies may go with a platoon of Francisco, or another veteran, and top prospect Domonic Brown, whom manager Charlie Manuel is not ready to send back to the minors, according to ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick.

http://[h3]Nats call on Greinke[/h3]
4:12PM ET

[h5]Zack Greinke | Royals[/h5]

UPDATE: Danny Knobler of CBS Sports reports Tuesday that the Nationals have called the Royals to express their interest in Greinke.

UPDATE: Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse tweets Tuesday afternoon that clubs are improving their offers for Greinke. The Royals were reportedly "annoyed" by the Rangers' initial offer.

There has been no indication of another club making an official offer, but the Blue Jays, Twins, Yankees and Red Sox could all do so, though Boston's inventory of young talent is down three after the trade to acquire Adrian Gonzalez.

Speculation on the future of Zack Greinke has heated up at winter meetings, but what are the Kansas City Royals looking for in return?

In Tuesday's blog, ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney writes there isthere is very little impact pitching available on the open market. "So Dayton Moore, the Royals' general manager, is asking for the sun and the moon and first-born male children, plus some really good pitching prospects -- which is what he should do," Olney writes.

Bob Dutton of the Kansas City Star tweeted Monday night that talks between the Rangers and Royals about Greinke have stalled, just as they did between KC and Toronto earlier in the day.

It does appear, however, that the Royals are strongly considering moving their ace, and that the Blue Jays and Rangers are the most interested clubs.

One unnamed Royals official told Dutton in Sunday's Star: "We'd want two young players who can make a major impact, and maybe two guys who can help us out in some way. If we don't get that, we don't make the trade. It's that simple."

While the price remains high, Olney might not stay that way forever:

- Doug Mittler

olney_buster_30.jpg
[h5]Buster Olney[/h5]
Time for Royals to sell high?
"The Royals know this, too: Greinke had a mediocre 2010 season, and the broad view within the sport is that Greinke was bored, at times. Some players deal well with playing on a losing team -- like Felix Hernandez, who kept his focus throughout the entire 2010 season despite being 'supported' miserably by the Mariners' offense -- and some players don't handle it that well. If the Royals keep Greinke into the 2011 season and his ERA again hovers near 4.00, he will lose the mulligan that rival evaluators are giving him for his 2010 performance. His trade value will drop significantly."

Just read on MLB Trade Rumors that Heyman said Lee had at least two 7 year/20mil per offers on the table. 
sick.gif

Just read on MLB Trade Rumors that Heyman said Lee had at least two 7 year/20mil per offers on the table. 
sick.gif

Yup and if it's true that the Nats, Yanks and Texas aren't going to seven years...I'd guess Baltimore, Boston or Anaheim.

Back
Top Bottom