Official MLB Offseason Post: Michael Young asks for a trade.

Originally Posted by Proshares

KLJ, I'm surprised you didn't know about the Indians/Lincecum issue before.

And you guys keep laughing at the Nats but I've said it before, Werth and Lee wouldn't be signing with that team for next season they are going for 2012 and beyond. That is an interesting place to sign FA's and if they're intent on spending money this year then they can fill in roster spots next year. A 3-4-5 of Willingham, Werth and Zimmerman is not all that bad. Besides, that division is WIDE open next season.
The same division with the Phillies?

No, its not wide open.

Originally Posted by Proshares

KLJ, I'm surprised you didn't know about the Indians/Lincecum issue before.

And you guys keep laughing at the Nats but I've said it before, Werth and Lee wouldn't be signing with that team for next season they are going for 2012 and beyond. That is an interesting place to sign FA's and if they're intent on spending money this year then they can fill in roster spots next year. A 3-4-5 of Willingham, Werth and Zimmerman is not all that bad. Besides, that division is WIDE open next season.
The same division with the Phillies?

No, its not wide open.

I'll definitely say it is. Halladay is Halladay. But you're counting on:

- Hamels repeating his 2010.
- Oswalt's back holding up.
- Lidge/Madson holding up in the pen.
- Ryan Howard not becoming this years Carlos Pena (which he looked like a ton last year).
- Rollins and Utley being healthy and not being injury prone as they've been the last few seasons.
- Brown/Ibanez giving you something out of LF.

I understand all teams in that division have question marks. But the Phillies are not as strong as people think. Right now, the Cardinals are the best on paper team in the NL IMO.

I'll definitely say it is. Halladay is Halladay. But you're counting on:

- Hamels repeating his 2010.
- Oswalt's back holding up.
- Lidge/Madson holding up in the pen.
- Ryan Howard not becoming this years Carlos Pena (which he looked like a ton last year).
- Rollins and Utley being healthy and not being injury prone as they've been the last few seasons.
- Brown/Ibanez giving you something out of LF.

I understand all teams in that division have question marks. But the Phillies are not as strong as people think. Right now, the Cardinals are the best on paper team in the NL IMO.

seems like all the baseball heads are in here. I need some quick advice, since no other baseball threads are actively opened.

Im in a keeper league and have the first pick overall with the FAs of 2010

i have no particular holes to fill on the roster and im looking for advice of the best available player to pick.

cliff lee
carl crawford
jayson werth
derek jeter
victor martinez
bryce harper

I added harper just because its a keeper league and we are allowed to hold 3 minor league players if we wish

any input would be of great appreciation

thanks

Jayson Werth is not making the Nationals contending in the NL east.

Youre underselling the Phillies a TON. 

seems like all the baseball heads are in here. I need some quick advice, since no other baseball threads are actively opened.

Im in a keeper league and have the first pick overall with the FAs of 2010

i have no particular holes to fill on the roster and im looking for advice of the best available player to pick.

cliff lee
carl crawford
jayson werth
derek jeter
victor martinez
bryce harper

I added harper just because its a keeper league and we are allowed to hold 3 minor league players if we wish

any input would be of great appreciation

thanks

Jayson Werth is not making the Nationals contending in the NL east.

Youre underselling the Phillies a TON. 

All of what I said about Washington was all based on if they get Lee. Werth was a terrible contract but he will see his share of pitches if he bats in front of Willingham or Zimmerman. I may be underselling them but they have a lot of question marks on that team. Look at what Hamels did in the 08 WS and how he imploded in 09, what's to say that doesn't happen again. Lidge and Madson didn't look good down the stretch in the pen. Howard can't hit a decent offspeed pitch anymore and his OBP/walks have been steadily going down. Not to mention the fact that the lineup is lefty heavy and losing Werth is going to hurt them more than people think.

BTW, go after Crawford. He'll fill up the stat sheet and he's either going to NY, Boston or Anaheim all great parks that will bring out the best in his abilities. No use in having Harper until MAYBE next offseason, he's a 2012 summer call up at best at this point.

All of what I said about Washington was all based on if they get Lee. Werth was a terrible contract but he will see his share of pitches if he bats in front of Willingham or Zimmerman. I may be underselling them but they have a lot of question marks on that team. Look at what Hamels did in the 08 WS and how he imploded in 09, what's to say that doesn't happen again. Lidge and Madson didn't look good down the stretch in the pen. Howard can't hit a decent offspeed pitch anymore and his OBP/walks have been steadily going down. Not to mention the fact that the lineup is lefty heavy and losing Werth is going to hurt them more than people think.

BTW, go after Crawford. He'll fill up the stat sheet and he's either going to NY, Boston or Anaheim all great parks that will bring out the best in his abilities. No use in having Harper until MAYBE next offseason, he's a 2012 summer call up at best at this point.

To say that the division is wide open is just wrong though.

Washington isnt coming close to the Phillies next season.

To say that the division is wide open is just wrong though.

Washington isnt coming close to the Phillies next season.

Just agree to disagree I suppose. I think it's between Philadelphia, Atlanta and Florida with Washington not far behind and the Mets in last place. All I'm saying is that those 3 in Washington can potentially anchor that lineup and don't underestimate the Cliff Lee effect on a rotation.

BTW, I still think Philly will eek out the division FWIW
laugh.gif

Edit:  If they can snag Ludwick from SD, I'll be more confident. 

Just agree to disagree I suppose. I think it's between Philadelphia, Atlanta and Florida with Washington not far behind and the Mets in last place. All I'm saying is that those 3 in Washington can potentially anchor that lineup and don't underestimate the Cliff Lee effect on a rotation.

BTW, I still think Philly will eek out the division FWIW
laugh.gif

Edit:  If they can snag Ludwick from SD, I'll be more confident. 

Sources are saying the Angels could make multiple huge deals. Heyman yesterday reported the Angels have stacks of cash ready to spend, they want Beltre and Crawford

Sources are saying the Angels could make multiple huge deals. Heyman yesterday reported the Angels have stacks of cash ready to spend, they want Beltre and Crawford

Yea, Moreno wasn't happy with them not qualifying for the playoffs last year. One exec did say that the thinking within the Angels organization was that the biggest contract they've ever given out was to Hunter @ 5/90 and they might possibly have to go to 8/180 for Carl. They asked if Crawford is really worth 90 million more than Hunter. *shrugs*

Just water cooler talk I suppose.

They need to figure out what catcher they're keeping and I think they'll be solid with those two additions. Beltre would hit in Anaheim, Crawford would be a more powerful & faster Figgins in that park and with a healthy Morales and that rotation...good stuff.

Also heard that if they manage to get Lee, they'll try and deal Weaver for a big bat since Weaver is a UFA in '12 and is a Boras agent unlikely to sign an extension.

Yea, Moreno wasn't happy with them not qualifying for the playoffs last year. One exec did say that the thinking within the Angels organization was that the biggest contract they've ever given out was to Hunter @ 5/90 and they might possibly have to go to 8/180 for Carl. They asked if Crawford is really worth 90 million more than Hunter. *shrugs*

Just water cooler talk I suppose.

They need to figure out what catcher they're keeping and I think they'll be solid with those two additions. Beltre would hit in Anaheim, Crawford would be a more powerful & faster Figgins in that park and with a healthy Morales and that rotation...good stuff.

Also heard that if they manage to get Lee, they'll try and deal Weaver for a big bat since Weaver is a UFA in '12 and is a Boras agent unlikely to sign an extension.

people at the winter meetings don't know exactly what Crawfords asking price is but most are saying a starting point is "north of Werth's contract"

Back
Top Bottom