Official MLB Offseason Post: Michael Young asks for a trade.

JPZ your Twins news is that the O's are looking to get Hardy. That's all I got for you.

That's just the market for Crawford and he'll be worth it well in to the contract IMO. He's an athletic baserunner who hits well to all fields and is the best LF'er in the game and that's not changing. He may not have the power for a corner OF'er but he gets on base better than most, has a great eye and can hit for a good average. Well worth the investment especially in that ballpark. He doesn't have the body type that would break down. Great fit for the Anaheim offense.

JPZ your Twins news is that the O's are looking to get Hardy. That's all I got for you.

That's just the market for Crawford and he'll be worth it well in to the contract IMO. He's an athletic baserunner who hits well to all fields and is the best LF'er in the game and that's not changing. He may not have the power for a corner OF'er but he gets on base better than most, has a great eye and can hit for a good average. Well worth the investment especially in that ballpark. He doesn't have the body type that would break down. Great fit for the Anaheim offense.

The New York Yankees are getting down to business in their pursuit of free-agent left-hander Cliff Lee.

"We have made an offer," Yankees GM Brian Cashman said Wednesday evening.

A source had told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick that Lee's agent, Darek Braunecker, left the winter meetings Wednesday afternoon.

"[Braunecker] is flying back to Arkansas to consult with Cliff and Cliff's wife," Cashman said. "We'll see. He's got all the information he needs from us and I assume he has all the information from anyone else who has an oar in the water.

[h4]Cliff Lee[/h4][h5]#33 SP
Texas Rangers[/h5]
2010 STATS
  • GM28
  • W12
  • L9
  • BB18
  • K185
  • ERA3.18

"I know we are right on the player. If he picks us, I hope he is right on us."

Cashman said the Yankees were prepared to be patient with Lee's decision-making process.

"This is someone who is worth the wait," he said.

Cashman declined to offer details about the Yankees' offer, but sources told ESPNNewYork.com and ESPN.com's Jayson Stark that the initial offer was likely to be for six years and around $140 million -- numbers that fall between the contracts for the New York Mets' Johan Santana (6 years, $137.5 million) and the Yankees' CC Sabathia (7 years, $161 million).

The Yankees may eventually be willing to go to $25 million per season for Lee, according to a baseball official.

The Yankees think they could have room in their budget to sign both Lee and outfielder Carl Crawford, a baseball official with knowledge of the Yankees' plans told ESPNNewYork.com.

The Yankees would likely make a trade or have one in place if they were to sign Crawford, along with Lee. The most likely scenario would call for them to deal either center fielder Curtis Granderson or right fielder Nick Swisher. If Granderson were traded, then Brett Gardner would move to center.

However, two sources close to Crawford told ESPNLosAngeles.com that they expect the outfielder to eventually to sign with the Los Angeles Angels.

Lee remains the Yankees' No. 1 target. On Wednesday, Yankees manager Joe Girardi called him the "complete package."

"Cliff Lee has been the prize of this offseason and we will continue to pursue him," Girardi said.

[h4]Carl Crawford[/h4][h5]#13 LF
Tampa Bay Rays[/h5]
2010 STATS
  • GM154
  • HR19
  • RBI90
  • R110
  • OBP.356
  • AVG.307

On Tuesday night, Cashman had a long meeting with Crawford and his representatives, a source told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney. Crawford is expected to receive a deal that will exceed the seven-year, $126 million deal that Jayson Werth received from Washington.

Girardi has admired Crawford for years.

[h4]Kay: Yankee GM Brian Cashman  
listen.png
[/h4]
Yankee GM Brian Cashman joins 1050's The Michael Kay Show about getting the Jeter signing done, what's new with the Cliff Lee hunt and what else the team might have in store.

More Podcasts »

"He's a difference-maker for any club he goes to," Girardi said.

Braunecker said Wednesday that one club is no longer involved in the Lee sweepstakes. He wouldn't say which team had been eliminated. However, it's not the Texas Rangers, who met with Braunecker for about 30 minutes Wednesday.

The Los Angeles Angels have also reached out to representatives for the free-agent left-hander, a source told Crasnick.

"We've had productive meetings," said Braunecker, who added he wasn't sure if he'd meet with the Rangers again before leaving Orlando. "They're still in the mix."

Earlier Wednesday, Braunecker said his group knew more than it did on Tuesday in terms of negotiations involving Lee.

[h4]It's Never Too Early[/h4]
February 14, 2011 | Tampa

The Yankees still have plenty of work to do this winter, but spring will be here before you know it! Yankees blog

"We've eliminated a club and have zeroed in on a few things," Braunecker said.

The Yankees, though, have devised scenarios in which they could add both Lee and Crawford. If Andy Pettitte retires, as a source close to the pitcher told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark that he is leaning toward, the Yankees would gain some flexibility.

If they dealt Granderson or Swisher, and Pettitte retired, the Yankees would clear about $20 million for next year. They also plan on not adding a DH to replace Nick Johnson. Jorge Posada is expected primarily to be the designated hitter.

The Yankees haven't pressured Pettitte in any way to make a decision. But they clearly would like to know his plans one way or the other. Pettitte earned $11.75 million last season.

Cashman spoke with Pettitte on Wednesday. Pettitte said he wants the Yankees to get Lee. While Pettitte didn't indicate if he will retire or not, Cashman thinks he will eventually return because Pettitte always has.

Cashman said there is enough money for Lee and Pettitte.

"I never have a problem knocking on [owner Hal Steinbrenner's] door and asking for money," Cashman said. "I have a problem sometimes with Hal saying, 'Yes.' I know my title is general manager, but I consider myself the director of spending of the New York Yankees. I don't make it, I spend it."

The Rangers also have talked with Crawford's agent and have some interest in the outfielder, a source said. It's likely that Crawford would be a backup plan should the Rangers fail to land Lee.

Multiple sources who have been in contact with the Angels' front office told Stark that Crawford remains the team's No. 1 offseason priority -- by far.

[h4]Cliff Lee In Photos[/h4]
As the Yankees pursue Cliff Lee, ESPNNewYork.com looks back at the free-agent ace's stellar career.
Photo gallery

One source described Crawford as the clear "focal point" of the Angels. Another source said that after talking with the Angels' people, he was stunned by how confident they were about eventually signing Crawford.

The way they spoke of him, the source said with a laugh, "it was almost like he was already on their team."

What remains unclear, however, is how far the Angels are willing to extend themselves financially to keep Crawford away from the Red Sox, Yankees, Tigers and Rangers -- the other clubs still viewed as the main contenders for Crawford.

If the price escalates -- in the wake of Werth's seven-year, $126 million deal with Washington -- to eight years and $160 million or beyond, that would be three years longer and at least $70 million more than current Angels owner Arte Moreno has ever paid for any player.

Torii Hunter's five-year, $90 million contract three years ago made him the highest-paid Angel of the Moreno era. And, as one source put it, "Is Carl Crawford really worth $70 million more than Torii Hunter? I don't see that."

But two years ago, the Angels did offer Teixeira seven years, $160 million before he signed with the Yankees. And that's an offer that Crawford's agents, Greg Genske and Brian Peters, clearly are well aware of.

The Red Sox retain interest in Crawford, multiple club sources confirmed to ESPNBoston.com.

That desire comes with a disclaimer, though. "But how many years?'' one source said. "How crazy was the Jayson Werth deal?''

Asked about Crawford, Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said: "It's the same answer I gave yesterday.

"Obviously we're in a new situation now after we've made a major acquisition [trading for Adrian Gonzalez], but like I said, anything is possible, right?''

The exact number of years and dollars Crawford is seeking hasn't been established yet. So for now, an official of one team involved said, "we've just got to let this play out a little bit."

A baseball source told Crasnick the chances of Lee signing a contract before the end of the winter meetings are "doubtful."

The New York Yankees are getting down to business in their pursuit of free-agent left-hander Cliff Lee.

"We have made an offer," Yankees GM Brian Cashman said Wednesday evening.

A source had told ESPN.com's Jerry Crasnick that Lee's agent, Darek Braunecker, left the winter meetings Wednesday afternoon.

"[Braunecker] is flying back to Arkansas to consult with Cliff and Cliff's wife," Cashman said. "We'll see. He's got all the information he needs from us and I assume he has all the information from anyone else who has an oar in the water.

[h4]Cliff Lee[/h4][h5]#33 SP
Texas Rangers[/h5]
2010 STATS
  • GM28
  • W12
  • L9
  • BB18
  • K185
  • ERA3.18

"I know we are right on the player. If he picks us, I hope he is right on us."

Cashman said the Yankees were prepared to be patient with Lee's decision-making process.

"This is someone who is worth the wait," he said.

Cashman declined to offer details about the Yankees' offer, but sources told ESPNNewYork.com and ESPN.com's Jayson Stark that the initial offer was likely to be for six years and around $140 million -- numbers that fall between the contracts for the New York Mets' Johan Santana (6 years, $137.5 million) and the Yankees' CC Sabathia (7 years, $161 million).

The Yankees may eventually be willing to go to $25 million per season for Lee, according to a baseball official.

The Yankees think they could have room in their budget to sign both Lee and outfielder Carl Crawford, a baseball official with knowledge of the Yankees' plans told ESPNNewYork.com.

The Yankees would likely make a trade or have one in place if they were to sign Crawford, along with Lee. The most likely scenario would call for them to deal either center fielder Curtis Granderson or right fielder Nick Swisher. If Granderson were traded, then Brett Gardner would move to center.

However, two sources close to Crawford told ESPNLosAngeles.com that they expect the outfielder to eventually to sign with the Los Angeles Angels.

Lee remains the Yankees' No. 1 target. On Wednesday, Yankees manager Joe Girardi called him the "complete package."

"Cliff Lee has been the prize of this offseason and we will continue to pursue him," Girardi said.

[h4]Carl Crawford[/h4][h5]#13 LF
Tampa Bay Rays[/h5]
2010 STATS
  • GM154
  • HR19
  • RBI90
  • R110
  • OBP.356
  • AVG.307

On Tuesday night, Cashman had a long meeting with Crawford and his representatives, a source told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney. Crawford is expected to receive a deal that will exceed the seven-year, $126 million deal that Jayson Werth received from Washington.

Girardi has admired Crawford for years.

[h4]Kay: Yankee GM Brian Cashman  
listen.png
[/h4]
Yankee GM Brian Cashman joins 1050's The Michael Kay Show about getting the Jeter signing done, what's new with the Cliff Lee hunt and what else the team might have in store.

More Podcasts »

"He's a difference-maker for any club he goes to," Girardi said.

Braunecker said Wednesday that one club is no longer involved in the Lee sweepstakes. He wouldn't say which team had been eliminated. However, it's not the Texas Rangers, who met with Braunecker for about 30 minutes Wednesday.

The Los Angeles Angels have also reached out to representatives for the free-agent left-hander, a source told Crasnick.

"We've had productive meetings," said Braunecker, who added he wasn't sure if he'd meet with the Rangers again before leaving Orlando. "They're still in the mix."

Earlier Wednesday, Braunecker said his group knew more than it did on Tuesday in terms of negotiations involving Lee.

[h4]It's Never Too Early[/h4]
February 14, 2011 | Tampa

The Yankees still have plenty of work to do this winter, but spring will be here before you know it! Yankees blog

"We've eliminated a club and have zeroed in on a few things," Braunecker said.

The Yankees, though, have devised scenarios in which they could add both Lee and Crawford. If Andy Pettitte retires, as a source close to the pitcher told ESPN.com's Jayson Stark that he is leaning toward, the Yankees would gain some flexibility.

If they dealt Granderson or Swisher, and Pettitte retired, the Yankees would clear about $20 million for next year. They also plan on not adding a DH to replace Nick Johnson. Jorge Posada is expected primarily to be the designated hitter.

The Yankees haven't pressured Pettitte in any way to make a decision. But they clearly would like to know his plans one way or the other. Pettitte earned $11.75 million last season.

Cashman spoke with Pettitte on Wednesday. Pettitte said he wants the Yankees to get Lee. While Pettitte didn't indicate if he will retire or not, Cashman thinks he will eventually return because Pettitte always has.

Cashman said there is enough money for Lee and Pettitte.

"I never have a problem knocking on [owner Hal Steinbrenner's] door and asking for money," Cashman said. "I have a problem sometimes with Hal saying, 'Yes.' I know my title is general manager, but I consider myself the director of spending of the New York Yankees. I don't make it, I spend it."

The Rangers also have talked with Crawford's agent and have some interest in the outfielder, a source said. It's likely that Crawford would be a backup plan should the Rangers fail to land Lee.

Multiple sources who have been in contact with the Angels' front office told Stark that Crawford remains the team's No. 1 offseason priority -- by far.

[h4]Cliff Lee In Photos[/h4]
As the Yankees pursue Cliff Lee, ESPNNewYork.com looks back at the free-agent ace's stellar career.
Photo gallery

One source described Crawford as the clear "focal point" of the Angels. Another source said that after talking with the Angels' people, he was stunned by how confident they were about eventually signing Crawford.

The way they spoke of him, the source said with a laugh, "it was almost like he was already on their team."

What remains unclear, however, is how far the Angels are willing to extend themselves financially to keep Crawford away from the Red Sox, Yankees, Tigers and Rangers -- the other clubs still viewed as the main contenders for Crawford.

If the price escalates -- in the wake of Werth's seven-year, $126 million deal with Washington -- to eight years and $160 million or beyond, that would be three years longer and at least $70 million more than current Angels owner Arte Moreno has ever paid for any player.

Torii Hunter's five-year, $90 million contract three years ago made him the highest-paid Angel of the Moreno era. And, as one source put it, "Is Carl Crawford really worth $70 million more than Torii Hunter? I don't see that."

But two years ago, the Angels did offer Teixeira seven years, $160 million before he signed with the Yankees. And that's an offer that Crawford's agents, Greg Genske and Brian Peters, clearly are well aware of.

The Red Sox retain interest in Crawford, multiple club sources confirmed to ESPNBoston.com.

That desire comes with a disclaimer, though. "But how many years?'' one source said. "How crazy was the Jayson Werth deal?''

Asked about Crawford, Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein said: "It's the same answer I gave yesterday.

"Obviously we're in a new situation now after we've made a major acquisition [trading for Adrian Gonzalez], but like I said, anything is possible, right?''

The exact number of years and dollars Crawford is seeking hasn't been established yet. So for now, an official of one team involved said, "we've just got to let this play out a little bit."

A baseball source told Crasnick the chances of Lee signing a contract before the end of the winter meetings are "doubtful."

The Rangers had to know this was right about where the Lee market would play out... There's no way they came into this thing planning on saying "here's five years. That's our final offer."

I'd bet they come close to 6/140M, the Yanks come back and bump it to 6/150M, and that's where it ends.

The Rangers had to know this was right about where the Lee market would play out... There's no way they came into this thing planning on saying "here's five years. That's our final offer."

I'd bet they come close to 6/140M, the Yanks come back and bump it to 6/150M, and that's where it ends.

laugh.gif
How do you think I feel refreshing MLB.com every 5 minutes? He's holding up the entire FA market.

BTW, Marlins made an offer for Greinke that was denied.

laugh.gif
How do you think I feel refreshing MLB.com every 5 minutes? He's holding up the entire FA market.

BTW, Marlins made an offer for Greinke that was denied.

Rangers radio guy tweeted that Nolan Ryan called Lee's agent and straight up asked him to let them know what it would take to end this thing now and get Cliff back in Arlington...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

And supposedly Cliff spent the last couple of days hunting with Mitch Moreland and Tommy Hunter... *crosses fingers*

Rangers radio guy tweeted that Nolan Ryan called Lee's agent and straight up asked him to let them know what it would take to end this thing now and get Cliff back in Arlington...
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

And supposedly Cliff spent the last couple of days hunting with Mitch Moreland and Tommy Hunter... *crosses fingers*

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

JPZ how do you feel about Grienke to Minnesota? I think that's a great fit for him...thoughts?
It'd be fantastic for him.

He seems like someone who is primed for a mid-market contender and not a big-market contender. He has had depression/mental health problems in the past so the pressure of a New York/Boston/LA environment might not be the greatest environment to pitch in based on what we know about him. A city like Minneapolis (in between Kansas City and New York) would be ideal.

He's stated he wants to play for a contender... and the Twins are in the playoffs every year, just about. The only reason they haven't been able to take the next step is due to the lack of an Ace pitcher. Look at the teams that were in the World Series this past year.... both had their aces that carried them through the post-season. Lincecum, Lee, Cain, etc. The Twins have a lot of quality pitchers, but no aces. They're not build for the post-season, they're built for the regular season.

Greinke would be a perfect fit the Twins, and vice versa.

However
laugh.gif
.... everything I just said is a moot point seeing as how the Royals came out and said earlier in the week they're not willing to trade him within the AL Central
tired.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

JPZ how do you feel about Grienke to Minnesota? I think that's a great fit for him...thoughts?
It'd be fantastic for him.

He seems like someone who is primed for a mid-market contender and not a big-market contender. He has had depression/mental health problems in the past so the pressure of a New York/Boston/LA environment might not be the greatest environment to pitch in based on what we know about him. A city like Minneapolis (in between Kansas City and New York) would be ideal.

He's stated he wants to play for a contender... and the Twins are in the playoffs every year, just about. The only reason they haven't been able to take the next step is due to the lack of an Ace pitcher. Look at the teams that were in the World Series this past year.... both had their aces that carried them through the post-season. Lincecum, Lee, Cain, etc. The Twins have a lot of quality pitchers, but no aces. They're not build for the post-season, they're built for the regular season.

Greinke would be a perfect fit the Twins, and vice versa.

However
laugh.gif
.... everything I just said is a moot point seeing as how the Royals came out and said earlier in the week they're not willing to trade him within the AL Central
tired.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

laugh.gif
laugh.gif

whats his twitter?

nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom