Official MLB Offseason Post: Michael Young asks for a trade.

I read that Lee to Philly possibility yesterday on here and was like that better not friggin happen, and then........
laugh.gif

What does it matter?  Not like the Cubs will do anything anyways.  But what a damn rotation that is. 

Their pitching coach prolly runnin around the house right now swingin his nuts at anybody he sees. 

Originally Posted by CP1708

Their pitching coach prolly runnin around the house right now swingin his nuts at anybody he sees. 
Add Joe Blanton (assuming his trade to the Red Sox does not happen) and Carlos Ruiz to the nut swinging.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Add Joe Blanton (assuming his trade to the Red Sox does not happen) and Carlos Ruiz to the nut swinging.

Montero, Hughes, Romine, Betances, Banuelos and Brackman still wouldn't be enough to pry Felix. Let's not panic. It's not the time to give away your farm for a SP. Look at how it was from 2001 to 2008 when we had no farm system.

Montero, Hughes, Romine, Betances, Banuelos and Brackman still wouldn't be enough to pry Felix. Let's not panic. It's not the time to give away your farm for a SP. Look at how it was from 2001 to 2008 when we had no farm system.

Unreal. I love it.
pimp.gif

Rod Thorn needs to kidnap Ruben Amaro and make him run the Sixers.

Unreal. I love it.
pimp.gif

Rod Thorn needs to kidnap Ruben Amaro and make him run the Sixers.

it's crazy to think that Theo is in the position he is now, with two rings and making POWER moves against the Yankees, when 8 years ago me and my pops would kick it with him like nothing. Pops was even onstage for Pearl Jam with him in 03...kind of weird when we were back there a couple years back and Theo got us into Fenway for rookie workouts and i had to text him about where to go etc. 
laugh.gif

Craziest story though is in 02, we went back for a few games, when Theo was still Asst. GM, we talked to him for awhile and at the time Nomar and Pedro were my favorite players. He goes, "what would you guys think about us trading Pedro..." i go as long as it's to the Pads
laugh.gif
Little did i know Nomar and Pedro would essentially be pushed out only a couple years later...

it's crazy to think that Theo is in the position he is now, with two rings and making POWER moves against the Yankees, when 8 years ago me and my pops would kick it with him like nothing. Pops was even onstage for Pearl Jam with him in 03...kind of weird when we were back there a couple years back and Theo got us into Fenway for rookie workouts and i had to text him about where to go etc. 
laugh.gif

Craziest story though is in 02, we went back for a few games, when Theo was still Asst. GM, we talked to him for awhile and at the time Nomar and Pedro were my favorite players. He goes, "what would you guys think about us trading Pedro..." i go as long as it's to the Pads
laugh.gif
Little did i know Nomar and Pedro would essentially be pushed out only a couple years later...

Originally Posted by Proshares

All the talk of the mystery team in the Cliff Lee Sweepstakes has some believing there may not be one, but ESPN.com's Jayson Stark writes Monday that the Philadelphia Phillies could be that secret suitor.

"So there I was," Stark wrote, "running through all the possibilities with one executive -- Angels, Nationals, White Sox, Cardinals, Cubs -- when the Phillies came up." The executive replied to Stark's idea, "to be honest, they're my No. 1 suspect."

Stark makes it clear that the thought has not been confirmed by the Phillies, nor by anyone familiar with the club's thinking, but Lee was open to an extension with the team last winter before being traded to Seattle, and despite having Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels and Roy Oswalt in their rotation, there is always room for a pitcher like Lee.

The Phillies do have contracts falling off the books after 2011, which could aid in their attempts to pay Lee market value, including Raul Ibanez, Oswalt and Jimmy Rollins.

We have to wonder, however, if the Phillies don't look to move some of that payroll sooner than free agency will do the job. Ibanez may be tough to trade, however, since his bat is declining and his defense has been considered below-average for years.

Spot on.

Originally Posted by Proshares

All the talk of the mystery team in the Cliff Lee Sweepstakes has some believing there may not be one, but ESPN.com's Jayson Stark writes Monday that the Philadelphia Phillies could be that secret suitor.

"So there I was," Stark wrote, "running through all the possibilities with one executive -- Angels, Nationals, White Sox, Cardinals, Cubs -- when the Phillies came up." The executive replied to Stark's idea, "to be honest, they're my No. 1 suspect."

Stark makes it clear that the thought has not been confirmed by the Phillies, nor by anyone familiar with the club's thinking, but Lee was open to an extension with the team last winter before being traded to Seattle, and despite having Roy Halladay, Cole Hamels and Roy Oswalt in their rotation, there is always room for a pitcher like Lee.

The Phillies do have contracts falling off the books after 2011, which could aid in their attempts to pay Lee market value, including Raul Ibanez, Oswalt and Jimmy Rollins.

We have to wonder, however, if the Phillies don't look to move some of that payroll sooner than free agency will do the job. Ibanez may be tough to trade, however, since his bat is declining and his defense has been considered below-average for years.

Spot on.

I dont believe Lee was every seriously considering the Yankees so i wasnt suprised at all. RedSox are looking mean. Phillies pitching is great but i dont see them winning it just yet. Yanks need to make moves.

I dont believe Lee was every seriously considering the Yankees so i wasnt suprised at all. RedSox are looking mean. Phillies pitching is great but i dont see them winning it just yet. Yanks need to make moves.

Why don't the Cubs call Philly and offer Aramis Ramirez for a couple prospects?  He'd fit in perfect with that club, and we need to blow up our roster anyways. 

Would they bite? 

Why don't the Cubs call Philly and offer Aramis Ramirez for a couple prospects?  He'd fit in perfect with that club, and we need to blow up our roster anyways. 

Would they bite? 

Cliff Lee Contract details:

5 years $120 million ($24 million annual, highest ever, higher than Yankees offer)
6th year vesting option of $27.5 million that vests if he pitches 200 innings in year 5, or 400 innings between years 4-5
Total potential contract value: 6 years, $147.5 million
OR a buyout of the 6th year of $12.5 million

Worst case scenario he signed a 5 year $132.5 million contract.

Yankees offer to Cliff Lee:
6 years $136 million (22.6 million AAV)
$16 million player option for seventh year

Cliff Lee did not leave money on the table and he did not sign with Philly because of his wife. They offered the most lucrative package. In the worst case scenario he will make 4 million less in 5 years than the Yankees offered him over 6 and he will have the opportunity to hit free agency again.

Basically the Phillies offered him the MOST money not the Yankees

Cliff Lee Contract details:

5 years $120 million ($24 million annual, highest ever, higher than Yankees offer)
6th year vesting option of $27.5 million that vests if he pitches 200 innings in year 5, or 400 innings between years 4-5
Total potential contract value: 6 years, $147.5 million
OR a buyout of the 6th year of $12.5 million

Worst case scenario he signed a 5 year $132.5 million contract.

Yankees offer to Cliff Lee:
6 years $136 million (22.6 million AAV)
$16 million player option for seventh year

Cliff Lee did not leave money on the table and he did not sign with Philly because of his wife. They offered the most lucrative package. In the worst case scenario he will make 4 million less in 5 years than the Yankees offered him over 6 and he will have the opportunity to hit free agency again.

Basically the Phillies offered him the MOST money not the Yankees

CP, they have a lot of money tied into this team and they have Polanco at 3rd for a relatively cheap price. You wouldn't get back anything worthwhile for Aramis from them. Maybe after this season when Rollins and a couple others come off the books.

CP, they have a lot of money tied into this team and they have Polanco at 3rd for a relatively cheap price. You wouldn't get back anything worthwhile for Aramis from them. Maybe after this season when Rollins and a couple others come off the books.

Back
Top Bottom