Official MLB Offseason Post: Michael Young asks for a trade.

Originally Posted by Wisconsin 4 Life

Brewers should easily win the NL Central this year if all our pitchers stay healthy and Wolf pitches like he did last season.  I wish we could have kept Cain though.  I don't mind losing the other 3.  Now we have a real starting pitching staff to go with our explosive offense and good bullpen.  Every Brewer fan should be excited.  
We've finished 2 games below .500 in 09 and 8 below last year with I think the top 3 worst ERA in the whole majors for starting pitchers both years.  Now that we have a legitimate rotation watch out.

Easily?
laugh.gif
Come on bro.

Originally Posted by Wisconsin 4 Life

Brewers should easily win the NL Central this year if all our pitchers stay healthy and Wolf pitches like he did last season.  I wish we could have kept Cain though.  I don't mind losing the other 3.  Now we have a real starting pitching staff to go with our explosive offense and good bullpen.  Every Brewer fan should be excited.  
We've finished 2 games below .500 in 09 and 8 below last year with I think the top 3 worst ERA in the whole majors for starting pitchers both years.  Now that we have a legitimate rotation watch out.

Easily?
laugh.gif
Come on bro.

People seem to be forgetting that the Brewers bullpen was a joke last year, and doesnt seem to be much better than the bottom 5 this year as well.

People seem to be forgetting that the Brewers bullpen was a joke last year, and doesnt seem to be much better than the bottom 5 this year as well.

Actually our bullpen was solid last year minus Hoffman and Hawkins.  We have a lot of young good bullpen arms.  Our closer went 24/27.

Actually our bullpen was solid last year minus Hoffman and Hawkins.  We have a lot of young good bullpen arms.  Our closer went 24/27.

I have a question for everyone that I would like your take on. I was listening to sportstalk on the way home from work, and an interesting question was brought up about the Giants/Phillies.

So we all know that the Giants have a very difficult time attracting big free agent hitters because of our ballpark. These big hitters are afraid that our park will limit their statistics, so they dont want to come here. That has been happening for a while now.

So the question is (with the Giants scenario in mind), why is it that the Phillies are constantly able to attract big time pitchers to come pitch for them? Why are big hitters tentative to come to SF because its a pitchers park, yet these big time pitchers are willing to go pitch in that bandbox in Phllly?

Doesnt seem to make sense to me. Anyone have a theory?

I have a question for everyone that I would like your take on. I was listening to sportstalk on the way home from work, and an interesting question was brought up about the Giants/Phillies.

So we all know that the Giants have a very difficult time attracting big free agent hitters because of our ballpark. These big hitters are afraid that our park will limit their statistics, so they dont want to come here. That has been happening for a while now.

So the question is (with the Giants scenario in mind), why is it that the Phillies are constantly able to attract big time pitchers to come pitch for them? Why are big hitters tentative to come to SF because its a pitchers park, yet these big time pitchers are willing to go pitch in that bandbox in Phllly?

Originally Posted by dland24

$$$$$$$ & they have a good offense that makes up for it.

Originally Posted by briannnnn

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Yall see what Kansas City wanted from the Yankees?
laugh.gif

The New York Post reports the Royals asked the Yankees for the following prospects: C Jesus Montero, SS Eduardo Nunez, either P Dellin Betances or P Manuel Banuelos, and a Class AAA pitcher.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/fee...greinke-but-price-was-too-steep#ixzz18nHNmrGd

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/fee...greinke-but-price-was-too-steep#ixzz18nHNmrGd

laugh.gif

WOW
laugh.gif
.  And they took THAT package from the Brewers???
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

laugh.gif

The New York Post reports the Royals asked the Yankees for the following prospects: C Jesus Montero, SS Eduardo Nunez, either P Dellin Betances or P Manuel Banuelos, and a Class AAA pitcher.

Read more: http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/fee...greinke-but-price-was-too-steep#ixzz18nHNmrGd

http://www.sportingnews.com/mlb/fee...greinke-but-price-was-too-steep#ixzz18nHNmrGd

laugh.gif

WOW
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by JumpmanFromDaBay

Yeah but on the flipside, couldnt you just say the same thing about the Giants?  ("they have a good defense that makes up for it")
And yes I realize there are other factors that go into it, obviously including money.  Im just saying.  Its an interesting question to say the least.

Originally Posted by JumpmanFromDaBay

Yeah but on the flipside, couldnt you just say the same thing about the Giants?  ("they have a good defense that makes up for it")
And yes I realize there are other factors that go into it, obviously including money.  Im just saying.  Its an interesting question to say the least.

Originally Posted by Proshares

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

WOW
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Of course they did, because the Yankees probably said "You're outta your damn mind".

The package the Brewers gave KC is probably the best package they could get for a pitcher that may be a "One year wonder".  Surprised no one has touched on that.  Greinke doesn't have the track record of an elite pitcher.  It's something you can hide in KC, and Milwuakee, but in other cities he would've been roasted.  It is a major concern for big market teams.  Greinke is a headcase.  He had an amazing 2009 and was rewarded with the Cy Young award, but I'm sure teams were cautious because with Greinke you don't know what you are going to get.

Did the Brewers get the Greinke of 2009? Steal!
Did the Brewers get the Greinke of 2010? Fleeced!

Time will tell...

Dland- Cliff Lee aside, which big name pitcher has Philly lured via free agency?  I say Lee aside, because he was a former Philly.  Maybe it's the culture of the Philly organization, they are on a high right now.  They have also been winning for the last few years, and with the Lee signing their window is not closed yet.  They don't shy away from making moves.

Who did the Giants go after to help their offense?  The Giants don't have the resources to offer a $100 million + contract with that Zito contract and Rowand contract in the books.  When those expire, it will be time to drop some very big extensions to Lincecum, Wilson, Cain, Sanchez, Posey.

I could see the Giants missing the playoffs next year.

Originally Posted by Proshares

laugh.gif

laugh.gif

WOW
laugh.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Of course they did, because the Yankees probably said "You're outta your damn mind".

The package the Brewers gave KC is probably the best package they could get for a pitcher that may be a "One year wonder".  Surprised no one has touched on that.  Greinke doesn't have the track record of an elite pitcher.  It's something you can hide in KC, and Milwuakee, but in other cities he would've been roasted.  It is a major concern for big market teams.  Greinke is a headcase.  He had an amazing 2009 and was rewarded with the Cy Young award, but I'm sure teams were cautious because with Greinke you don't know what you are going to get.

Did the Brewers get the Greinke of 2009? Steal!
Did the Brewers get the Greinke of 2010? Fleeced!

Time will tell...

Dland- Cliff Lee aside, which big name pitcher has Philly lured via free agency?  I say Lee aside, because he was a former Philly.  Maybe it's the culture of the Philly organization, they are on a high right now.  They have also been winning for the last few years, and with the Lee signing their window is not closed yet.  They don't shy away from making moves.

Who did the Giants go after to help their offense?  The Giants don't have the resources to offer a $100 million + contract with that Zito contract and Rowand contract in the books.  When those expire, it will be time to drop some very big extensions to Lincecum, Wilson, Cain, Sanchez, Posey.

I could see the Giants missing the playoffs next year.

I am just repeating a question that was mentioned on the radio. It wasnt free agency, but Halladay and Oswalt still had to agree to go there. And I am not talking about any specific player who we have gone after, but there is a general consensus that a lot of free agent hitters wont play here. There have been many hitters who have publicly stated that they would never play here (ie Lance Berkman).
And as far as the Giants missing the playoffs goes....yes I have heard you mention that before.  Im not going to argue with you.  I would definitely say the Giants are the clear cut favorites to win the division, but its baseball.  Its not inconceivable that they dont do as well as people think they are going to and miss the playoffs.  Look at the Padres last season.  I think they make it, but you never know.

I am just repeating a question that was mentioned on the radio. It wasnt free agency, but Halladay and Oswalt still had to agree to go there. And I am not talking about any specific player who we have gone after, but there is a general consensus that a lot of free agent hitters wont play here. There have been many hitters who have publicly stated that they would never play here (ie Lance Berkman).
And as far as the Giants missing the playoffs goes....yes I have heard you mention that before.  Im not going to argue with you.  I would definitely say the Giants are the clear cut favorites to win the division, but its baseball.  Its not inconceivable that they dont do as well as people think they are going to and miss the playoffs.  Look at the Padres last season.  I think they make it, but you never know.

I think they fleeced them regardless. I don't think much of the players they sent over
laugh.gif
my laughs were just towards the fact that they went from the Yankees package to that lackluster package they got from Milwaukee.

I think they fleeced them regardless. I don't think much of the players they sent over
laugh.gif
my laughs were just towards the fact that they went from the Yankees package to that lackluster package they got from Milwaukee.

It's easier to attain a player via trade, even if they have a no trade clause.  The chance of winning trumps stats.  Especially if the team they are going to agrees to an extension (Halladay).  Oswalt just wanted to win, and the Phillies presented that.

Cliff Lee obviously liked Philadelphia, both the city and organization.  The chance to win was obviously a factor as well.  Hamels came via draft, Blanton came via trade.

I just don't think they will get as lucky as they did last year.  Their pitching has always been great, the offense is bad and to top it off they sat on their %*% this off season while other teams at least tried to improve.  Saying they are the clear cut favorites to even win the West is laughable.  There is no clear cut favorite.

Back
Top Bottom