Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

I've been going to Team Tompkins Muay Thai & Submission (home of Shawn Tompkins, Chris Horodecki, Mark Hominick, Sam Stout, etc.) in London, ON for alittle under a year now. It's $60/month and $120 for 3 months. They offer 3 classes: beginner Muay Thai, advanced Muay Thai, and MMA. Great instruction asyou're often being taught by one of the aforementioned fighters, or when Shawn comes back from Las Vegas he'll come in and teach.

There are several schools now that teach "MMA". I am very skeptical of them. Meaning I'd rather learn to box at a Boxing gym, and learn BJJ at a BJJ school, with top level teachers/trainers than go to an "MMA" school and learn to box from a below average Boxer and learn jits from a Purple belt. If that makes sense.

I think a lot of these "MMA" schools are just trying to cash in on the hype, unless you're going to Xtreme Couture, or ATT, or Jackson MMA, or AKA or something like that, where they have TOP level teachers for every discipline.
You pretty much hit the nail on the head with this. Most schools that teach MMA are crap. You gotta have very good trainers from each disciplineto actually teach it, and with most schools it isn't the case.

im trying to start at Serra Jiu-jitsu in NY some time before the summer ends, but $ and time have been an issue.

To those who've been doing BJJ for a while, how grueling is it staring off? is it something i can pick up fairly naturally with work, or would i need moreof a wrestling/judo background? as far as martial arts go, I did boxing back when I was REALLY young but that doesn't really translate at all.

Originally Posted by Nako XL

im trying to start at Serra Jiu-jitsu in NY some time before the summer ends, but $ and time have been an issue.

To those who've been doing BJJ for a while, how grueling is it staring off? is it something i can pick up fairly naturally with work, or would i need more of a wrestling/judo background? as far as martial arts go, I did boxing back when I was REALLY young but that doesn't really translate at all.

It shouldn't be too hard. It's easier if you're a flexible person. I already had wrestling and judo under my belt and it only helped me becauseI used my wrestling to control guys on the ground and my judo/wrestling to take guys down, but when it came to applying submissions I was a bit lost.

Originally Posted by akf0dy7

Originally Posted by Smokey1212

Originally Posted by akf0dy7

question. if i joined a gym just to learn how to box, like striking 101 would it be worth it? i never got into a fight and just wanted to learned how to at least box in case something ever popped off. the gyms available in my area would be city boxing and alliance traning center. i wouldnt mind learning the jiujitsu either.

i already have a membership to 24 hr fitness for weights and what not.

I didn't even notice this post of yours. Since you are by City Boxing, are you in San Diego?
yeah i live in the southbay area, but i work near downtown. so city boxing was one of my options.

Cool man. Yeah, I've heard some shady things from City Boxing, but I dunno how much to trust it. My friend trained straight boxing there and neverhad a complaint. I trained at SD Undisputed. and I HIGHLY recommend it. Youshould see who rolls through there (Dean Lister, Wade Shipp, Jason Lambert, Randy Couture, etc.). First off, Barrett Yoshida is the Chillest dude andbasically 1 of the top 2 BJJ in the WORLD at his weight class. He only lost to Rani Yhaha in the finals at the last Abu Dhabi tourney. The new girl trainergot there after I left and not only does she look mad sexy, she's an amazing grappler. Just check her credentials (Gazzy Parman). Tiger Smalls is aboxing coach there which is again amazing (WBO champion). War Machine is the MMA trainer there (he was just on the last Ultimate fighter show). The MTcoaches when I was there have gone except for Scotty, who's hella chill, and I'm sure the new trainers are cool as hell too. I just can't sayenough about this place. Hopefully it hasn't blown up too much. I strongly suggest you check it out.

That said there are several great Gyms down in SD. CB, Undisputed, and Dean Lister's place are all good gyms. If you go into one and tell them thatyou are gonna check out the others before you sign up, they will cut you a great deal. I got 6 Months for $400 from Undisputed
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Originally Posted by Smokey1212

I was part of an MMA gym in San Diego that cost about $100 a month for everything (Gym, BJJ, MMA, Boxing, MT). And that was real nice considering how good the trainers were. Barrett Yoshida was the BJJ instructor and I would have paid 100 a month just for him. Now living in SF I'm joining an MMA gym for about $110 a month for everything. The facility looks real nice/clean and the trainers have good credentials. We'll see.
There are places that will run you a lot of money to train though. Like here in SF, Fairtex charges a LOT of money, I think I heard something along the lines of 200 a month, and Jake Shields isn't even there anymore. If I were you I would try and find a place between 90 and 120 per month with quality instructors.

You're in SF? Which gym? I'm at Fairtex. And yeah they can charge up to 200, I'm paying 199 because I pay a one month contract. There's options though where you can pay 150 a month for like a year. And yeah Jake isn't there anymore but Gil is still there and fighters come in and out all the time. Are you at Fight and Fitness?

Yeah, I'm in SF. I'm sorry, I didn't mean to come off as rude about your gym. In fact if I was training to smoke fight anymore and had themoney to afford that place I definitely would cuz obviously Gil, Jongsanan, and Enn are amazing trainers and Fairtex is the proven place in SF if you want tobecome a fighter. Sadly, I am a poor research scientist who barely makes enough to live in SF in the first place.
laugh.gif
So I am looking for a place that's a bit cheaper and stays open later so Ican make it back in time from work for classes. I am looking at this new gym at around 42nd and Vicente called Bushido Fitness Center that recently opened up.It's got some nice class times, no gi BJJ, MT,, a full sized cage, only $115 a month (which I hope can bargain down), and some decent trainers: JimmyJarquin (old Fairtex fighter), Fabio Prado (Black belt under Reslon Garcie), and Rodney Mirasol (former Fairtex guy too). Probably gonna check it out nextweek.

Originally Posted by illphillip

akf0dy7

Not sure what you're asking. I've boxed quite a bit in my life if you want to PM me.

Boxing gyms with training can be pricey. And the level of attention you get during that "training" can be hit/miss (they usually station you on a bag, watch you for 30 seconds, then move on to another station with someone else, then come back to you).

The cardio training you will get while learning to box is great. But you can get most of that in any gym (treadmill, a spot to jump rope, a mirror to shadowbox etc.)

But all in all, I would say it's worth it. You'll get in great shape.

There are several schools now that teach "MMA". I am very skeptical of them. Meaning I'd rather learn to box at a Boxing gym, and learn BJJ at a BJJ school, with top level teachers/trainers than go to an "MMA" school and learn to box from a below average Boxer and learn jits from a Purple belt. If that makes sense.

I think a lot of these "MMA" schools are just trying to cash in on the hype, unless you're going to Xtreme Couture, or ATT, or Jackson MMA, or AKA or something like that, where they have TOP level teachers for every discipline.

Hope that helps.

Man, do I see a lot of those here in Toronto. Lots of poser gyms.
I wanted to go for Xtreme Couture here since it just opened and the opening promo was $100/month/year. After that was I think in the $160 up rangealready...too bad I just dont have the funds to fill that in right now because if I do I'd go in a heartbeat. To think its VERY CLOSE to my house breaks myheart...

Here's the list of instructors. Some of them fought in the UFC if you can familiarize well:

Xtreme Couture Toronto instructors:

Brent Beauparlant - MMA/Wrestling
Chris Horodecki - MMA/Muay Thai
Mark Hominick - MMA/Muay Thai
Jeff Joslin - MMA/Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
Shawn Geris - Freestyle/Greco Roman Wrestling
Dave Mair - Freestyle Wrestling
Yuri Botnarenko - Greco Roman Wrestling
Marco Antico - Muay Thai
Mish Cirkunov - Judo
Patrick Goulah - Traditional Jiu-Jits

frown.gif
<--- me right now. But anyhow, I just wanted to learn Muay-Thaiagain, I'll just look for MT gyms out there with legit credentials.

If any of you want it, I have one of the posters they were handing out at the LA Affliction press conference. not sure how i can mail it without bending it,but if dont mind it bent into 8.5 x 11 ill drop it in the mail to whoever wants it.

Anyone watching Strikeforce tonight? I don't know anybody who has HDNet so I'm SOL. I'll either catch the PBP if I'm home tonight or watch'em on mmashare tomorrow afternoon. I was really looking forward to Riggs' return too.

Originally Posted by demonbasketball04

Anyone watching Strikeforce tonight? I don't know anybody who has HDNet so I'm SOL. I'll either catch the PBP if I'm home tonight or watch 'em on mmashare tomorrow afternoon. I was really looking forward to Riggs' return too.

Sorry, bro you are gonna have to wait a bit longer for Riggs' return. He was denied license. http://www.sherdog.com/news/pictures.asp?n_id=13442

I'll be watchin anyway.

Dammit.
RIF%20Logo%20PC_287.jpg

Anyway.....

-Gilbert Melendez (#6 Lightweight in the World)* vs. Josh Thomson
-Bobby Southworth vs. Anthony Ruiz
-Jeremiah Metcalf vs. Raymond Daniels <---Have fought before
-Nam Phan vs. Billy Evangelista
-Elaina Maxwell vs. Meisha Tate
-Chris Cariaso vs. Anthony Figueroa <---Have fought before
-Jesse Gillespie vs. Dave Martin <---Have fought before
-Bobby Stack vs. Jose Palacios
-Alvin Cacdac vs. Brian Caraway
-Cyrillo Padhillo vs. Jesse Jones
-Eric Jacob vs. Alexander Trivino
-Josh Neal vs. Travis Johnson

This Saturday, UFC 86. Really looking forward to Griffin/Jackson. No other match on the card really excites me, except for Gonzaga/McCully, which isn'teven on the main card
ohwell.gif
. Ah well, onto my predictions...

MAIN CARD

Champion Quinton Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin (for UFC light heavyweight belt)
Ricardo Almeida vs. Patrick Cote
Joe Stevenson vs. Gleison Tibau
Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Lytle
Marcus Aurelio vs. Tyson Griffin

PRELIMINARY CARD

Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Justin McCully
Jorge Gurgel vs. Cole Miller
Melvin Guillard vs. Dennis Siver
Justin Bucholz vs. Corey Hill

My predictions:

MAIN CARD
  • Champion Quinton Jackson vs. Forrest Griffin (for UFC light heavyweight belt) = Forrest w/ the huge upset
  • Ricardo Almeida vs. Patrick Cote
  • Joe Stevenson vs. Gleison Tibau
  • Josh Koscheck vs. Chris Lytle
  • Marcus Aurelio vs. Tyson Griffin
PRELIMINARY CARD
  • Gabriel Gonzaga vs. Justin McCully
  • Jorge Gurgel vs. Cole Miller
  • Melvin Guillard vs. Dennis Siver
  • Justin Bucholz vs. Corey Hill

so anderson silva has finally moved up to light heavyweight

about time

now we'll see if hes really that good against true top contenders