Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Here's Chris Howie's write-up from the UFC 75 media conference call held earlier today with Dana White, Quinton Jackson, Dan Henderson, Michael Bisping and Matt Hamill:

-Dana says he has been meeting with Fedor's people for months and will be today. Hopes there could be a release by the end of the day but can't say that for sure.

-Rampage is ready.

- Hendo says Rampage is very atheletic and a great striker. He's going to have to be on his A-game.

-Bisping says he isn't too keen on Hamill.

-Dana says the UFC is doing the complete opposite of what boxing has done. Will be offering free fights that people want to see instead of "****ty" fights with people no one has heard of.

-Guys from TUF will fight on Fight Nights and new talent will be on on Fight Nights and prelims.

-Rampage says that even though he is champion he can't take the belt in the cage so it doesn't change anything.

-Hendo says that training for top level fights is tough. Saya Quinton is tough in all aspects and he is expecting a 25 minute war.

-Dana on Babalu: if it had of been an arm or an ankle he probably wouldn't be on fighting anywhere ever again. At this time he has been cut from his contract.

-If Dan goes to 185 it's possible he gets a direct shot at Silva but he may have one fight first.

-Rampage says that he would've liked to take the belt from Wanderlei

-Pride belt is gone after this fight. There will be one champion after this fight.

-Dana has no clue what he'll be doing with the Lightweight title.

-The fact Rampage and Hendo have trained before doesn't play a factor in Hendo's training. It was so long ago that there would be nothing he could look back at and pick up.

-Rampage says training went excellent. Bisping was there helping him train. Says he was still in good shape from the Chuck fight because it wasn't that long ago.

-Rampage says his biggest concern is that Dan is very tough and unpredictable.

-Rampage says he is a different person when he gets in the cage.

-Says he is taking this more serious than any fight.

-Dana confirms that Randy's arm was broke by the kick and he won't be able to train for at least 6 weeks.

-Bisping says that fighting at home provides a big advantage.

-Hamill says that he has no big concerns about Bisping, all that worries him is his kicks.

-Dana says the last thing he wants to do is bury Pride but it is going to take some time to sort things out.

-Dana says that dealing with Japan is tough.

-Dana says the two coaches on this seasons TUF did not get along well at all.

-Hendo says he has gotten busier since he won the title. He is the same person just with little time. Hendo had a new baby girl last night.

-Dana says that the Pride name is not very good in Japan anymore because of everything that happened. Says they are lucky to even get office space in Japan.

-Rampage says when he knew Hendo would KO Wanderlei when he heard Dan was fighting him. Says that Dan didn't fight the same Wanderlei that everyone was use to, not to take anything away from Dan.

-Rampage doesn't think he'll have an edge over Henderson because of the cage.

-Dana says they did not sign Ryo Chonan but there was a pause before he answered.

-Dana puts over how big this fight is. Rampage KO'd Chuck and Dan KO'd Wandy - now they are on a free fight on Spike TV. Could you ask for anything better?

-Bisping says that fighting Hamill is a fight that everyone wanted to see from watching TUF.

-Dana: "Nobody gives a **** about Josh Barnett, especially me".
www.mmanews.com/ufc/Dana-...Hendo.htmlwww.mmanews.com/ufc/Tons-...-Call.html
Team NC State
Dre Brown- What's Good FSU?
Team Mayhem​

Sobral's released statement (from mmaweekly)

Quote:
To My Family, Friends, Fans and Sponsors:

Since UFC 74, I have wanted to speak publicly about my fight with David Heath. I waited to do so, however, out of respect for the Nevada State Athletic Commission, Zuffa, Inc. and Dana White. After all, it is their efforts that have legitimized Mixed Martial Arts in the sports world and I realize that my conduct has unintentionally hindered those efforts. For that, among other things, I am deeply sorry.

I have been fighting professionally since 1998. Prior to my fight with David Heath, my professional record was twenty-seven wins with seven losses. Fourteen of my victories came by way of submission. Not once was I ever accused of holding a choke or submission too long. If anything, there has always been and continues to be a great camaraderie between my opponents and I after the fight.

Being a professional mixed martial artist is more than a career to me. It is my livelihood and my way of life. Consequently, I am deeply sorry for any embarrassment that has been brought upon the sport, other mixed martial artists (especially David Heath), my Academy and most importantly, my family.

As if the embarrassment were not enough, my actions during the fight with David and my comments afterwards, have already resulted in severe financial loss to my family because as you know, in addition to my win bonus still being withheld, yesterday I was released from my contract with the UFC.

There has been much talk about things that may have been said to me by David Heath at the weigh-in. What David said to me at the weigh-in didnt matter then and doesnt matter now. What matters are my comments after the fight. And, regardless of what you may read by so called MMA experts on the internet, I never said that I purposefully choked-out David Heath. In short, my post-fight comments, while inappropriate, were not intended to be comments about the choke. Rather, they were intended to be comments about the aggressive performance that I put in.

I did not intentionally choke out David Heath. The first that I realized that David had tapped was when people told me that he did after the fight. When I finally had the chance to view the tape, I see that he did. When David tapped, I did not feel it. I wish I did for I would have let it go. Instead, I continued to hold it. Not because I was upset or wanted him to lose consciousness. I held it because I didnt know he tapped and I was intent on winning the fight. Holding on to a choke a little long is not an uncommon mistake made in training, and never in my career have I witnessed or heard of an injury resulting from it.

When I had the choke, I was not looking the referee in the eyes as one commentator erroneously observed. Nor did I hear the referee issue any verbal command to release the hold. Instead, my head was down to strengthen the move and my eyes closed with focus. As a result, I did not feel the referee tap me the first time either. It was not until he put his hands on my right shoulder that I felt him trying to separate us. When I felt this, I immediately released the choke.

After [Friday's] hearing [with the Nevada State Athletic Commission] I traveled to the UFCs office to meet with Dana White. Contrary to recent reports in the media, this meeting was not to discuss my being released from the UFC. In fact, this meeting was arranged prior to my even being released from the contract. The purpose of the meeting was for me to personally apologize to Dana while at the same time thank him for all the opportunities that the UFC has given to my family and I. Unfortunately, I was unable to meet with Dana due to a calendaring error Nevertheless, thanks Dana and my apologies.

I am a professional fighter. This is what I do for a living. I do not hold a day job and then train at night to fight. I know nothing else but how to fight. This is how I support my family.

On behalf of my family and friends, I appreciate the support that you have given me over the years, not to mention in the recent week, and I am hopeful that I will have the opportunity to fight again in the State of Nevada.

Thank you.

RENATO 'BABALU' SOBRAL
Clutch.

Nascar,and Poker ARE NOT SPORTS!!!

RAMPAGE TRAINS WITH SHANE MOSLEY. WHO SAYS WE CAN'T GET ALONG?

www.ufc.com/

It should be one of the videos featured on the UFC website. This is great for both sports and brings even more legitimacy to MMA.

NBA'S MARK CUBAN PURSUING FEDOR EMELIANENKO :wow:
eek.gif
:wow:
eek.gif
:wow:
eek.gif
www.sherdog.com/news/news.asp?n_id=8834
Quote:
Mark Cuban, the energetic and controversial owner of the National Basketball Association's Dallas Mavericks, is negotiating for the services of Russian mixed martial arts star Fedor Emelianenko (Pictures), Sherdog.com confirmed Sunday.

"I am in ongoing discussions with some of his people," Cuban revealed in an e-mail interview that will be published on Sherdog.com later this week.

Cuban's interest in Emelianenko has everything to do with HDNet, currently available in 6 million homes, nearing a major uptick in the amount of MMA programming on the HD network.

"I plan on making a significant investment in MMA with the goal of promoting it as a professional sport with professional athletes," said the 49-year-old Cuban, whose net worth was listed by Forbes in 2007 to be $2.3 billion. Cuban purchased the Mavericks in 2000 after selling Broadcast.com to Yahoo! for $5.7 billion in stock. "There is no reason that a fighter in an undercard match should be treated any differently than how I treat our players on the Mavs."

In Emelianenko -- the longtime PRIDE heavyweight champion who became a free agent after Zuffa purchased the PRIDE Fighting Championships in March -- Cuban would have his fighting Dirk Nowitzki.

"We would work with his promoters to place him in fights from affiliated promoters or in fights we promote ourselves," said Cuban, who plans on partnering with established MMA organizations to fill the weekly quota of bouts HDNet would need for its successful Friday Fight Night series.

"It's the highest rated sports programming by far [on HDNet]," Cuban said. "Our MMA programming on HDNet beats networks that have five times or more the carriage that we do. So it's been a big winner for us and we expect it to get even better."

:pimp:
pimp.gif
:pimp:
pimp.gif
his own MMA league or invest into another...either way it should be great for the sport.

MATT HUGHES LEAVES MILITECH. FORMS HUGHES INTENSIVE TRAINING.

Quote:
Former Champion Set to Begin New Team and Open Gym

By Loretta Hunt ([email protected])

You know a sport is maturing when institutions come to an end.

In Iowa, one of the worlds most prolific coaches has bid farewell to one of his star pupils - former UFC Welterweight Champion Matt Hughes has amicably split from longtime mentor Pat Miletich to start his own fight team, with plans to open a gym out of his home state of Illinois.

Matts been with me for almost a decade, said Miletich on Fight Network Radio today. Weve had a lot of great years together. This is a natural progression for guys to eventually go out on their own.

The Hughes Intensive Training (H.I.T.) Squad jettisoned from the 32-year-olds recent portrayal as a coach on The Ultimate Fighter 6, which begins airing Sept. 19 on Spike TV. On the series, Hughes enlisted the services of fellow Miletich stablemate Robbie Lawler, longtime boxing coach Matt Pena, and wrestling/conditioning teacher Rob Fiore. Fiore, the Greco-Roman coach for the World Class Athlete Program (Army) from 1996-2002, says the experience motivated the four to collaborate on the new enterprise, with the financial support of Alton, Ill. attorney Jeff Cooper.

The Granite City, Ill. gym will be located approximately 40 minutes from Hughes farm, where he lives with his wife and two children. Miletich, for one, is supportive of the move.

Im sure hes had a lot of offers to do something like this and he got one close to home, said Miletich. I know its been tough on him driving up to Iowa all these years, spending the week up here and going home on weekends year after year.

Hughes (41-5) first achieved UFC gold with a memorable first-round slam knockout of Carlos Newton (13-12) after the Canadian had wrapped his legs around the Midwesterner in a triangle choke that nearly subdued the thick-necked fighter. Hughes would go on to defend the title five times more.

BJ Penn (11-4-1) choked the belt free of Hughes two years later at UFC 46, but the Div. I college wrestler got the opportunity to earn it back following a title vacancy at Oct. 2004s UFC 50 against another Canadian in Georges St. Pierre. St. Pierre (14-2) would be the one to supplant the dominant champion last November in a rematch at UFC 65.

The former champion will break in his new facilities with a closed training camp beginning Oct. 1, with plans to open the H.I.T. Squad to the public come Jan. 1.

Longtime training partner Jeremy Horn is expected to join Hughes in preparation for his next UFC title bout against champion Matt Serra (9-4) at UFC 79 on Dec. 29 in Las Vegas, Nev., along with Team Hughes members Lawler, TUF 5 participant Corey Hill, and upstart wrestler Jacob Hey.

www.thefightnetwork.com/n...p?nid=4702

HIT squad should be rolling out quality fighters in no time.

Quote:
Longtime training partner Jeremy Horn is expected to join Hughes in preparation for his next UFC title bout against champion Matt Serra (9-4)
Clutch.

Nascar,and Poker ARE NOT SPORTS!!!

I think it might be time for Horn to call it quits. He's not as consistent as he used to be. That's probably due to the sheer number of fights he's been in. He should just become a full time coach and put all his knowledge to good work.

Quote:
horn has been on such a slide for so long, if any of him wears off on hughes, matt's in trouble.

which one? ha

nah but seriously, idk this fight between serra and hughes has become such a toss up but i'm still giving it to hughes.

UFC 75 on saturday gentlemen, cannot wait

takin Rampage, Bisping, Crocop, Sakara, and Taylor on the main card

and is there any news on who BJ Penn is supposed to be fighting at 78? I mean if Sherk ends up getting stripped who is gonna lose to Penn for the strap?

ahh feels good to be postin in this thread again

Quote:
nah but seriously, idk this fight between serra and hughes has become such a toss up but i'm still giving it to hughes.
.:: |Team| Toronto| Raptors| ::.ARE NOT SPORTS!!!Clutch.

Quote:
Hughes is going to maul serra. i really dont think it will even be close.

yea thats what I said about my dude GSP takin on Serra and I put myself on suicide watch that night

Idk I mean Serra's BJJ is up there so dude might find an opening if Hughes slips up, just one of those things where its possible cuz Serra isn't no small dude, dude is a stout 170 ha

i'm hoping Hughes wins though cuz he's a much better matchup for GSP

I just dont think it'll be as much of a blowout as people are making it seem like

the gsp fight was a puncher's chance miracle.

serra has been far from impressive in pretty much all of his other fights except the shonie fight (which he ended up losing)

i think the gsp fight actually has him higher in a lot of people's books than he should be.

WEC 30 (9-5-07)

MAIN CARD
Lightweight champ Rich Crunkilton (154) vs. Rob McCullough (155)
Bantamweight champ Rani Yahya (134.5) vs. Chase Beebe (135)
Jeremiah Billington (195) vs. Brian Stann (205)
Jeff Bedard (135) vs. Miguel Torres (135)
John Alessio (170) vs. Marcelo Brito (170)

UNDERCARD
Marcus Hicks (155) vs. Scott McAfee (155)
Bryan Baker (185) vs. Jesse Forbes (186)
Kenneth Alexander (156) vs Donald Cerrone (155)
Blas Avena (169) vs. Joe Benoit (171)
Ian McCall (134) vs. Ox Wheeler (135)

I have class tomorrow night but I'll be recording it and watching it later.

Sacramento Kings

i thought pulver was supposed to be on that card.

Well that GSP win is something that sticks out in my mind which can't help but sway my rationale towards this fight. No matter how much I want to believe its still regular @#%$ matt serra I cant.

and hell yea it has him way up on people's books.

#1 Ranked WW? Ridiculous :x
sick.gif

edit: and on Pulver, did he even formally announce he's fighting in the WEC?

As much as I would like to see Serra beat Hughes, just because I can't stand Hughes, I see Hughes beating the crap out of Serra.

Matt will then lose to GSP next year.

Hopefully by then, Karo or Diego will have another win under their belts and be ready for a title shot.

Sacramento Kings

IMO Karo deserves a title shot first since he got screwed out of the one he was supposed to have at UFC 55 I think it was

well the injury forced him out of the initial fight but yeah, he should still have gotten it when he healed up.

Back
Top Bottom