Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by demonbasketball04

2e1twrb.jpg
I thought I was the only person who booked this. I was torn between whether it was a dude or a girl...now I have confirmation
laugh.gif
roll.gif

[table][tr][td]
UFC 94 Notebook: Accusations Swarm St. Pierre
[/td] [/tr][tr][td] Options: [img]http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/icons/email_icon.gif[/img] Email Article | [img]http://www.cdn.sherdog.com/_images/icons/printer_icon.gif[/img] Printer Friendly [/td] [/tr][tr][td] [table][tr][td]
thumbnail_crop.php

Monday, February 02, 2009
by Brian Knapp ([email protected])

Welterweight champion and pound-for-pound stud Georges St. Pierre had little time to savor what many saw as a landmark performance against rival B.J. Penn at UFC 94 on Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

J.D. Penn, the challenger's older brother, confirmed to Sherdog.com that a formal complaint will be filed with the Nevada State Athletic Commission on Monday, claiming St. Pierre used a "greasing" agent during the UFC 94 main event. The 27-year-old French Canadian retained his welterweight belt with a fourth-round technical knockout.

"We are not trying to make excuses, but the NSAC needs to protect the fighters," Penn said via text message. "They never notified us or completely wiped his back with water and towels."

The accusation cast a cloud of suspicion over St. Pierre after he dismantled the popular Hawaiian in a one-sided, four-round affair. Controversy deepened in the hours after the news broke. In an interview with InsideFighting.com on Sunday, Penn's head coach, Rudy Valentino, claimed St. Pierre used similar tactics the first time the two fought in 2006. Valentino also indicated the camp of former UFC welterweight champion Matt Serra alleged St. Pierre did the same in their April 2008 rematch.

If the NSAC clears St. Pierre of wrongdoing, his latest conquest will likely stand as one of his crowning achievements. Never had Penn been so thoroughly beaten.

"I knew I broke him mentally in the first round," St. Pierre said. "It was my gameplan. I stuck to it. My gameplan was to make the first round and the second round a clinch [war] and mostly like a wrestling match."

As each round passed, St. Pierre dug deeper into Penn's defenses, as he neutralized the Hawaiian's considerable stand-up skills, forced him to his back and hammered away at him on the grown. St. Pierre leaned on Penn from the start, as he pressed him against the cage and sucked the energy from his 168-pound frame. Keenly aware of Penn's penchant for fast starts, St. Pierre made sure to establish himself early in the fight.

"B.J. Penn, when he comes out, he always comes out strong in the first round because he's got very good hand speed," he said. "So I wanted to make him tired, to carry my weight."

By rounds three and four, Penn was visibly discouraged, his pace labored. St. Pierre scored at will with takedowns and passed the former Brazilian jiu-jitsu world champion's guard with stunning ease. His relentless ground-and-pound -- punches, elbows and knees -- also took a heavy toll on Penn, whose head and body were often exposed in side control.

"He's a very tough guy," St. Pierre said. "Even at the end of the fourth round, I was mad. I was trying to finish him … hard, but he always survived. I'm not surprised. I was expecting that."

At the conclusion of round four, Penn had nothing more to give, and his corner motioned for the cage-side doctor to stop the fight. Afterward, St. Pierre focused on his drive and dedication to develop all his skills.

"People talk about stand-up and this and that," he said. "It's a mixed martial arts fight."

St. Pierre thinks his takedown prowess enhanced his striking skills against Penn, a man some believe to be the premier boxer in the sport. Penn's lethal jab, which he used to pick apart Sean Sherk at UFC 84, was never a factor.

"I knew he was afraid of my wrestling, so it made my stand-up look a little better maybe," St. Pierre said. "I'm very confident with my stand-up now. I box with world champion boxers and former world champion boxers in Montreal, so I'm in very good hands."

I don't know about BJs and Matt's claim (from before). They're known to be the biggest talkers and whiners in the UFC and they could just be opening their mouth because they lost.

If it's proven though, whoever planned it should get fired and lose his license. GSP doesn't need to cheat in fights.
[/td] [/tr][/table][/td] [/tr][/table]

Originally Posted by rodster831

Originally Posted by doyung9

- anyone else hear about the "greasing" incident in GSP's corner?
i did. but dana's saying that it wouldn't have changed the outcome of the fight either way, i dont know though
ive just watched the fight multiple times, there's nothing on GSPs back, the reason people are freakin out is cause phil nurse forgot to wipehis hands after wiping vaseline on GSPs face, but seriously, theres nothin on his back and definitely no grease, from what ive read the NSAC isnt changing theoutcome of the fight which is a relief, but maybe its possible that there will be descipine for his corner

There's an excellent thread in Sherdog right now (wow, an excellent thread @ sherdog?!)

http://www.sherdog.net/fo...ng-down-gsps-back-915057/

I personally don't think it made a difference in the fight. If it isn't vaseline then GSP's sweat could be just helping him to posture up from BJsguard.

I would request for Phil Nurse to be punished though. I think it was a bit excessive to be wiping off the residue on GSPs shoulder and back.

Originally Posted by super roach
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

[h3]http://www.mmascraps.com/2009/02/greasegate-has-officially-begun.html[/h3]
[h3]GreaseGate has Officially Begun[/h3]

Cage Potato has the report.
B.J. Penn's camp has filed a formal complaint with the Nevada State Athletic Commission over Vaseline that was allegedly rubbed on Georges St. Pierre's back between rounds one and two. UFC president Dana White said at the post-fight press conference that he was aware of the complaint, and said he personally witnessed members of the commission take the Vaseline away from GSP's camp and rebuke them in the Octagon between rounds.

"I saw the commission jump up there and flipping out," said Dana White. They said one of the guys was rubbing Vaseline on Georges' back in between rounds. It was one and two, I think."

"The guys from the athletic commission went up there and started screaming at them. Knocked the Vaseline and kicked the Vaseline out of the Octagon."

White added that "some Vaseline on a guy's back didn't change the outcome of that fight, but you don't do it," and said the blame should fall on the cornerman responsible and not GSP.

"If a guy was intentionally putting Vaseline on a guy's back, he should never corner a mixed martial arts fight again."

anyone here seen the whole sakuraba vs. akiyama fight and incident??

I think with Machida's impressive performance, this might skyrocket him to be next in line. I hope it does...Rampage doesn't deserve a title shot thissoon, especially with how deep the LHW division is...
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

Still
smh.gif
at my boy BJ. Even if he worked his a off, I think he would have lost because BJ is just way too big and strong. His jits is good enough NOT to make astupid mistake and would most of the time not get caught in a submission. If BJ didn't gas and still worked GSP in the stand-up (which he didn'ttonight) he would have gotten taken down and the GNP'd like what happened tonight. If he wants any real shot at BJ he's gonna have to train for a yearto close that 20 pound gap they have.

GSP vs. Silva is a bad match up for GSP IMO. Anderson Silva is so long, and GSP has t-rex arms compared to Silva. The only reason why people want to see it isto see Silva tested with the takedowns. I honestly don't see GSP taking Silva down without getting mollywhopped, first. However, if he does it should makefor an interesting fight.

machida did great, but honestly silva was no match for him. machida had way better competition from previous fighters.

jon jones was awesome. he's got a real good potential to be a great fighter. awesome wrestling skills. that spinning elbow was good... technically it wasan illegal blow since it landed on the back of stephan's head.

and yeah... dana white is pissed with the whole greasing incident. he knows gsp is in trouble. smh @ gsp and his whole camp

watch dana's blog and you'll see...
http://
smh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Battousai701

machida did great, but honestly silva was no match for him. machida had way better competition from previous fighters.

jon jones was awesome. he's got a real good potential to be a great fighter. awesome wrestling skills. that spinning elbow was good... technically it was an illegal blow since it landed on the back of stephan's head.

and yeah... dana white is pissed with the whole greasing incident. he knows gsp is in trouble. smh @ gsp and his whole camp

http://www.youtube.com/v/rd2PmSss_h...or2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs
smh.gif
smh.gif
Dope video. Backstage videos are always fun to see. Dana was heated right when the fight ended... Has the committee ruled on anything yet?

Originally Posted by 2wenty thre3

jon jones was awesome. he's got a real good potential to be a great fighter. awesome wrestling skills. that spinning elbow was good... technically it was an illegal blow since it landed on the back of stephan's head.

http://www.youtube.com/v/rd2PmSss_h...or2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs
smh.gif
smh.gif
Dope video. Backstage videos are always fun to see. Dana was heated right when the fight ended... Has the committee ruled on anything yet?
regardless of what side of the fence you're on... something's got to happen. especially if MMA wants to keep moving of the direction ofbeing accepted with the Big 3 (NBA, MLB, NFL).

It's just like when guys test positive for water pills and stuff. You're responsible at the end of the day. Phil Nurse can say this and that andeverything, but he knew he was rubbing vaseline, albeit a small amount, he knew that it would cause problems.

Unless GSP knew and consented, which we'll never know, at least definitely Nurse needs to be punished.

Originally Posted by doyung9

Originally Posted by 2wenty thre3

smh.gif
smh.gif
regardless of what side of the fence you're on... something's got to happen. especially if MMA wants to keep moving of the direction of being accepted with the Big 3 (NBA, MLB, NFL).

It's just like when guys test positive for water pills and stuff. You're responsible at the end of the day. Phil Nurse can say this and that and everything, but he knew he was rubbing vaseline, albeit a small amount, he knew that it would cause problems.

Unless GSP knew and consented, which we'll never know, at least definitely Nurse needs to be punished.
of course gsp knew
laugh.gif
. its his own body, how could u notknow. gsp and his whole camp is responsible. it wasnt like some stranger just came up to him and put it on while he wasnt looking

this is a big disappointment since i like gsp very much as a fighter

^exactly, how could he not know?

This is the last thing the UFC needs. It's a growing sport and it doesn't need to be tainted with %**$ like this. #%@% cheaters.
smh.gif

Well, someone from the NSAC saw what Phil Nurse did and used a towel to wipe off GSP's back in between rounds, so I don't think it was anything on himtbh.

Originally Posted by tooeasy891

Well, someone from the NSAC saw what Phil Nurse did and used a towel to wipe off GSP's back in between rounds, so I don't think it was anything on him tbh.
laugh.gif
we all know it takes more than a wpie down from a towelto take off the grease from vaseline or any other lubricant.

i just read that BJ requested an investigation with the NSAC, i love the guy but he needs to let this go cause there's nobody left at 170 after alves andeveryone knows that GSP will gladly take a 3rd fight in order to set the record straight, AGAIN

Originally Posted by TheHealthInspector

i just read that BJ requested an investigation with the NSAC, i love the guy but he needs to let this go cause there's nobody left at 170 after alves and everyone knows that GSP will gladly take a 3rd fight in order to set the record straight, AGAIN
you have to feel sorry for the guy who got cheated twice... in the first fight by the judges and in the second fight by gsp and his camp.

i just read that BJ requested an investigation with the NSAC, i love the guy but he needs to let this go cause there's nobody left at 170 after alves and everyone knows that GSP will gladly take a 3rd fight in order to set the record straight, AGAIN
you have to feel sorry for the guy who got cheated twice... in the first fight by the judges and in the second fight by gsp and his camp.
yeah, he didnt win that first fight, rd 2 and 3 belonged to gsp

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Like Seriously?

It almost feels like Sherdog with some of these replies on these last two pages.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Chuck Finster

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Like Seriously?

It almost feels like Sherdog with some of these replies on these last two pages.
laugh.gif
theres a reason why the first fight was controversial... now the second is beyond that

"First of all what happened is Phil, he put Vaseline in my face, but then after he didn't have the Vaseline," said St. Pierre. "After he put Vaseline in my face, he didn't put Vaseline in my back. That's what people don't understand. He put one hand on my chest and he made a circle behind my back. It helps my breathing."

St. Pierre also outlined the importance of being massaged between rounds.

"When you come back in the corner, sometimes by punching and clinching, your shoulders are stiff," said St. Pierre. "So it's good to massage the shoulders to make the blood flow, you know what I mean? To make it more loose. If you look at muay Thai fights, in muay Thai they come back in the corner to get massage[d] to make the blood circulate. It's the same thing in MMA. You get massage[d] to make the blood flow so you're more fresh the next round."

In the letter filed Tuesday with the NSAC, Penn's camp also stated they'd received prior knowledge of St. Pierre's alleged tendencies.

Matt Hughes, who lost to St. Pierre in two of their three welterweight bouts, has been one former opponent of the beloved Canadian champion to comment publicly about the allegations.

"I'm not saying GSP did something wrong and I'm not saying that it would have changed any outcomes of any fights; but what I am saying is, for my last two fights against Georges, he felt greasy," read a post on Hughes' Web site on Tuesday.

St. Pierre seemed shocked by Hughes' words.

"I don't know what to say," he told the "Beatdown" hosts. "The next fight day they just have to check me. I have nothing to hide. It pisse me off a little bit. It's like people are jealous or something… I'm not going to talk bad. I don't mind. Everything comes up and down in life. I think Matt Hughes is trying to find excuses now for going on the way down. I don't know."

When asked about giving Penn a rematch in light of the controversy, St. Pierre didn't hesitate though.

"Lets go do a rematch with B.J. Penn," said St. Pierre. "We're going to do it this summer. St. Pierre-Penn III -- and this time we'll wear a rash guard. I guarantee you the result will be the same or even worse for him."

http://sherdog.com/news/n...-cheated-in-my-life-16065

laugh.gif
why does matt hughes have to butt in on everything? he might betelling the truth but right now all hes doing is being annoying. if gsp was greasy during their fight... matt should have said something during their match.

and wearing a rash guard woudnt be a bad idea. i was thinking about it too... prevents fighters from greasing themselves up.

if bj wants a 3rd rematch... he needs to stay in welterweight for a lil bit. he cant be moving back and forth from lightweight.

since there's no one left after alves, GSP just needs to fight all these mofos again if they want to accuse him of breaking the rules, he'll destroyhughes a 3rd time, serra a 2nd time, sherk a 2nd time, and BJ a 3rd time

id be surprised if any of these dudes had the guts to challange GSP again cause he'll put those doubts to rest, guy's at the top of his game and isonly getting better

BJ fanboys are on another level.
laugh.gif

Yeah it does.
smh.gif

BJ, you really want a 3rd fight?? Like GSP said, it's gonna be the same or probably worse. A pissed off GSP is not someone I'd wanna fight in the cage!All that !##! talking you did before the fight was thrown right in your face, now you're trying find an excuse to justify your +%% kicking, just like youdid the first fight. Take your loss like a man you %%$$!! coward.

Back
Top Bottom