Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

Originally Posted by Battousai701

sure mayweather is back and everything, but the fact is hes not that marketable.

i dont know why people say this or who can actually believe it. it's not coincidence that his ppv numbers are so high. he's a controversial figure which only adds to the fact that he is the biggest draw in boxing.
people say this because its true and its a fact.

he was never a blockbuster ppv buy in his career before. he can thank de la hoya for his greatest ppv buy ever. his last ppv buy generated the numbers it did because it was his first return fight from retirement. his last fight was good. but it was nowhere near exciting that it left u off the edge of ur seat.

mayweather great boxer? YES

mayweather great entertainer and does he have that high level marketability? NO

he is no way near on the level of muhammad ali, sugar ray leonard, mike tyson, roy jones jr., and oscar de la hoya when is comes to entertainment value.

Stop it.

mayweather is the biggest draw in boxing. period.

so u disagree with everything that i just wrote?

u dont think de la hoya was the major reason for their ppy buys? theres a reason de la hoya got paid more in that fight.

u think hes as marketable as prime de la hoya, prime roy jones, prime tyson, prime ali?

im not saying hes not maketable at all. he definitely is marketable. but nowhere near of the names above.

mayweather is pound for pound the best. probably even better than pacman. we have yet to see that since both camps are arguing over contract agreements.basically who should get paid more.

"mayweather is the biggest draw in boxing. period" - thats really not saying much since THERES NO ONE ELSEOUT THERE! (aside from manny)

u dont think de la hoya was the major reason for their ppy buys? theres a reason de la hoya got paid more in that fight.

u think hes as marketable as prime de la hoya, prime roy jones, prime tyson, prime ali?

im not saying hes not maketable at all. he definitely is marketable. but nowhere near of the names above.

mayweather is pound for pound the best. probably even better than pacman. we have yet to see that since both camps are arguing over contract agreements. basically who should get paid more.

"mayweather is the biggest draw in boxing. period" - thats really not saying much since THERES NO ONE ELSE OUT THERE! (aside from manny)
soooooo in short you're saying mayweather is the biggest draw in boxing.

debate over.

of course oscar overall was a bigger draw, but there is a reason that it was also oscar's highest selling fight and the highest selling fight ever.

oscar vs money was basically the number 1 cash cow vs the number 2

mayweather is pound for pound the best. probably even better than pacman. we have yet to see that since both camps are arguing over contract agreements. basically who should get paid more.

"mayweather is the biggest draw in boxing. period" - thats really not saying much since THERES NO ONE ELSE OUT THERE! (aside from manny)
soooooo in short you're saying mayweather is the biggest draw in boxing.

debate over.
we were debating?

if so then answer the questions.

biggest boxing draw... its between manny and money. i dont really care, i just wanna see them fight and get it over with. but im pretty sure manny would getpaid more.

sure mayweather is back and everything, but the fact is hes not that marketable.

i dont know why people say this or who can actually believe it. it's not coincidence that his ppv numbers are so high. he's a controversial figure which only adds to the fact that he is the biggest draw in boxing.

True, but that is part of the charm of boxing. It being a science, two guys highly skilled trying to impose there will on the other fighter. There is so much to learn in MMA that you get fights with guys who are good at everything but not great at anything and alot of the time the fight is just unentertaining. It being more real does not necessarily make it better or more entertaining.

the whole use of the word 'science' to describe boxing was conjured up to make people feel more intelligent about watching guys club each other about the face and torso.

it's a combat sport plain and simple and it's no more technical than mma.

you also cant really be claiming that most boxing matches are entertaining.

and i guarantee that most mixed martial artists are great at something. some of the best pure grapplers and strikers in the world participate in mma. the demein maia's, bj penn's, ricardo arona's, dan henderson's, the georges st pierre's, the nogueira's. the jerome lebanner's, anderson silva's, mirko filipovic's, semmy schilt's.

fact of the matter is that most boxing enthusiasts comments about mma are made in a severely defensive manner, and more importantly, they are made out of nowhere, when nobody asked.

it's a sign of insecurity and fear.

I cosign with battousai saying boxing is a science but I think it's more of an artform than science which is that same for MMA which is more of both thanboxing because of the demands for fighters to be more well adept in all areas of fighting.

I cosign with clutch in saying Mayweather is very marketable, I haven't watched boxing in god knows how long and the last fight I saw was the de la hoya vsmoney fight whenever that was. If I still hear his name after not watching boxing for that long then they are def. marketing him right. I only hear about him,mosley, manny and klitchko (sp?)

Money may not be on the same level as the greats of boxing, but back then boxing didnt have MMA to compete with, and I believe for a fact that MMA has takensome of boxing's shine for the past 6-7 years.

Should boxing die out....hell no it is still a great sport and nothing could take its place save for holographic matches or with robots but that not gonnahappen soon (I joke, i'm not living in a fantasy world, trust
laugh.gif
)

True, but that is part of the charm of boxing. It being a science, two guys highly skilled trying to impose there will on the other fighter. There is so much to learn in MMA that you get fights with guys who are good at everything but not great at anything and alot of the time the fight is just unentertaining. It being more real does not necessarily make it better or more entertaining.

the whole use of the word 'science' to describe boxing was conjured up to make people feel more intelligent about watching guys club each other about the face and torso.

it's a combat sport plain and simple and it's no more technical than mma.

you also cant really be claiming that most boxing matches are entertaining.

and i guarantee that most mixed martial artists are great at something. some of the best pure grapplers and strikers in the world participate in mma. the demein maia's, bj penn's, ricardo arona's, dan henderson's, the georges st pierre's, the nogueira's. the jerome lebanner's, anderson silva's, mirko filipovic's, semmy schilt's.

fact of the matter is that most boxing enthusiasts comments about mma are made in a severely defensive manner, and more importantly, they are made out of nowhere, when nobody asked.

it's a sign of insecurity and fear.

Most boxing fights are entertaining if you know the sport. And also there is more of a "science" in a submission grappling match,boxing, fight, Olympic wrestling match, K-1 fight than in a MMA fight most of the time. There are less techniques, so more time is spent mastering thetechniques, so you see two masters trying to exploit a single aspect to win a fight. You list includes masters of individual aspects mostly but how manymasters of MMA are there, not many.

.It goes both ways MMA enthusiast love to take shots at boxing for know reason too and fail to address the short comings of MMA. Like how only on promotion hasever proven to be viable over a extended period of time, how there is still a heavy "WWE Sports Entertainment" factor in marketing of the sport. Howlittle diversity there is in the MMA fanbase compared to other sports. Plus MMA has yet to stand the test of time, something boxing has done.

let's deconstruct this bafoonery.
Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

Most boxing fights are entertaining if you know the sport.

It goes both ways

answered your own question. should have been obvious even to a simpleton.
How little diversity there is in the MMA fanbase compared to other sports.

this is such a $%^& ing stupid, ignorant, and uneducated thing to say.

are you out there recording ethnicity when people attend events and buy ppvs?

because there are box office records that say 90 000 + people have attended single events in Japan.

that say Brazil is one of the top suppliers of not just fighters, but enthusiasts.

that say French Canada has the largest MMA gate in North American history.

you literally hold little to no knowledge on this subject.
take shots at boxing for know reason too

your credibility is directly related to your intelligence.

Not to change the subject and all, but here is this weekend's card and predictions:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)
  • Champ Lyoto Machida vs. Mauricio "Shogun" Rua (for light-heavyweight title)
  • Ben Rothwell vs. Cain Velasquez
  • Josh Neer vs. Gleison Tibau
  • Spencer Fisher vs. Joe Stevenson
  • Anthony Johnson vs. Yoshiyuki Yoshida
PRELIMINARY CARD (Spike TV)
  • Ryan Bader vs. Eric Schafer
  • Patrick Barry vs. Antoni Hardonk
PRELIMINARY CARD (Not televised)
  • Yushin Okami vs. Chael Sonnen
  • Rob Kimmons vs. Jorge Rivera
  • Razak Al-Hassan vs. Kyle Kingsbury
  • Stefan Struve vs. Chase Gormley

It goes both ways

because there are box office records that say 90 000 + people have attended single events in Japan.

that say Brazil is one of the top suppliers of not just fighters, but enthusiasts.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
You sound like every other defensive MMA fan. Ok you got me on the "no", "know" typo.

Now to prove that MMA diverse, your evidence is that it is popular other countries. One being French Canada, not Canada as a whole, and the place is stillpredominantly white. Next Martial Arts in general is huge in Brazil, but there is not a single major MMA promotion, just because they produce a lot of fightersdoes not been there is a huge fan base. MMA popularity has dropped significantly in Japan buddy, stop throwing out numbers from the height of Pride'spopularity. And using the Japanese who marketed some African-American combat athletes as "wild" beast is not somewhere I think you want to go. Howabout crossing age groups, gender, income classes. Also MMA is not popular in urban areas at all because the buy in price to begin training is so high.

I am not saying there are not any non-white males between 18-35 that like don't MMA. What I am saying that other sports mainstream sports have been toattract fans of all kinds, in big number, MMA needs to do that. The sports needs to grow and prove itself before someone can say it is bigger than boxing. Evenif it beats boxing, do you know how many more sports that will still be more popular than MMA.
laugh.gif
Boxing has fallen a long way too.

I'm not hating on the sport but anyone would be stupid to sit back and talk up how great the sport is without acknowledging its shortcomings.

It goes both ways

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
You sound like every other defensive MMA fan. Ok you got me on the "no", "know" typo.

Now to prove that MMA diverse, your evidence is that it is popular other countries. One being French Canada, not Canada as a whole, and the place is still predominantly white. Next Martial Arts in general is huge in Brazil, but there is not a single major MMA promotion, just because they produce a lot of fighters does not been there is a huge fan base. MMA popularity has dropped significantly in Japan buddy, stop throwing out numbers from the height of Pride's popularity. And using the Japanese who marketed some African-American combat athletes as "wild" beast is not somewhere I think you want to go. How about crossing age groups, gender, income classes. Also MMA is not popular in urban areas at all because the buy in price to begin training is so high.

I am not saying there are not any non-white males between 18-35 that like don't MMA. What I am saying that other sports mainstream sports have been to attract fans of all kinds, in big number, MMA needs to do that. The sports needs to grow and prove itself before someone can say it is bigger than boxing. Even if it beats boxing, do you know how many more sports that will still be more popular than MMA.
laugh.gif
Boxing has fallen a long way too.

I'm not hating on the sport but anyone would be stupid to sit back and talk up how great the sport is without acknowledging its shortcomings.

You can't compare a COMBAT sport to traditional stick and ball sports in anyway what so ever.

^^^ Why not, every MMA fan throws out the line "fastest growing sport in the world" they don't say "combat" sport. When you demand tobe on network TV and cover by ESPN at some point you have to be judge with every other major sport on that level. I have faith that in 20 years MMA will bearound, be as big as boxing, on network TV and cover routinely on Sportscenter. But to walk around like the sport as a whole must not grow and evolve in somebetter than its current state to make all those things happen, is to me ignorant.

countdown amped me up...

i haven't seen anything from shogun in the ufc that tells me he has a chance at this one.

hope my boy rumble comes out strong saturday

105 is really going to air on spike?

Originally Posted by MonopolyMan630

Not to change the subject and all, but here is this weekend's card and predictions:

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)
Fixed
pimp.gif
doubting my boy's (nh) Ryan bader and JoeStevenson
indifferent.gif

Yea I cosign with spencer fisher winning that bout...

For those of us who didnt get to see the main bouts of UFC 101-103:

UFC/Spike TV to Counterprogram Strikeforce/CBS with 2-hour Special

Wednesday, October 21, 2009
by Sherdog.com Staff Headlining bouts from UFC 101 through UFC 103 will air Nov. 7 on Spike TV at 9 p.m., the same time and date that Strikeforce will be making its debut on CBS.

Spike TV announced Wednesday that it will air the UFC 102 main event between Randy Couture and Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira, the UFC 103 main event between Vitor Belfort and Rich Franklin, and UFC 101's featured bouts between Forrest Griffin and Anderson Silva and between B.J. Penn and Kenny Florian. The bouts, which have not appeared on cable, will be part of a two-hour telecast titled "UFC Main Events."

Meanwhile, on CBS, No. 1-ranked heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko will meet an undefeated Brett Rogers. Also on the Strikeforce/M-1 Global co-promoted card is a middleweight title fight between Jake Shields and Jason "Mayhem" Miller.

So we get to see American legend vs. the Brazilian legend, Forrest's knockout by forearm, and Kenny trying to "kill that master".

I'm probably gonna spend my time watching CBS though, but that switch button on the remote control will probably be worn down by nights end.

Originally Posted by Lakersfan1

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)
Fixed
pimp.gif
doubting my boy's (nh) Ryan bader and Joe Stevenson
indifferent.gif

Johnson will KO yoshida though.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by tooeasy891

Originally Posted by Lakersfan1

MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view)
Fixed
pimp.gif
doubting my boy's (nh) Ryan bader and Joe Stevenson
indifferent.gif

Johnson will KO yoshida though.
pimp.gif

I met Johnson in person..dudes a beat.

this was posted 22 hours after i posted that the countdown was starting.
laugh.gif
So people HAVE started setting your posts to "Ignore". Interesting.

^ this from the guy who doesn't know what '_____ fighter is mechanical' means.

then feebly tries to act condescending about it like it's not a term used to describe lack of fluidity in every sport in the world.

ignore button? absolutely.

here's to never reading your baseless arrogant bs ever again.

*click* .

Back
Top Bottom