Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

My problem with the whole "challenger has to beat the champion" philosophy is that it was proven to be untrue in the Rampage/Griffin fight. Thatfight was legitimately close as far as I'm concerned and they gave it to Griffin. So in this case, Machida was clearly beaten and they still gave it to himand for those of you saying Rua just kicked him, again I reference the Griffin fight where that's basically what Griffin did and got the decision. And thething about a rematch is, there are more interesting fights with Rua as the champion; Machida should have to work his way up to another title shot instead ofgetting a rematch with him as champion. Now Machida gets months to think of ways to avoid getting kicked and probably inflict even less damage next time theyfight. On a side note, glad to see Overeem finally fight again, albeit against James Thompson but still...one step closer to Fedor/Overeem.

Originally Posted by Burn916

^ Truth. Shogun's corner told him he was ahead, and he didn't press the action in the last two rounds. Don't blame the judges.

On top of that, this robbery talk is crazy. You're going to tell me there weren't four extremely close rounds in that fight? I had Machida winning 3/5 (like the judges), even though all three winning rounds were close. Rua did not win any 10-8 rounds, and therefore I thought the result was acceptable, if not appropriate.

The judges look for effective strikes in each round, and based on that, somebody is going to get 10 points. They rarely consider damage sustained in a fight like this, especially via leg kicks.

Maybe I felt differently from a lot of you guys because I couldn't hear the commentary while I was watching the fight. My two cents.

While the rounds were close, it wasn't THAT close. In terms of effective striking it was razor thin, but Rua definitely had octagon control as he wasbackin Machida down and effectively hunting him for most of the later rounds. I thought octagon control was supposed to count for something. I guess not.

Just an absolutely shocking decision IMO. I had $750 riding on Lyoto and had pretty much accepted the fact that I lost this one until I saw Bruce Buffer'seyes light up as he mouthed "Lyoooooto". Unbelievable.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

^ Truth. Shogun's corner told him he was ahead, and he didn't press the action in the last two rounds. Don't blame the judges.

On top of that, this robbery talk is crazy. You're going to tell me there weren't four extremely close rounds in that fight? I had Machida winning 3/5 (like the judges), even though all three winning rounds were close. Rua did not win any 10-8 rounds, and therefore I thought the result was acceptable, if not appropriate.

The judges look for effective strikes in each round, and based on that, somebody is going to get 10 points. They rarely consider damage sustained in a fight like this, especially via leg kicks.

Maybe I felt differently from a lot of you guys because I couldn't hear the commentary while I was watching the fight. My two cents.

While the rounds were close, it wasn't THAT close. In terms of effective striking it was razor thin, but Rua definitely had octagon control as he was backin Machida down and effectively hunting him for most of the later rounds. I thought octagon control was supposed to count for something. I guess not.

Just an absolutely shocking decision IMO. I had $750 riding on Lyoto and had pretty much accepted the fact that I lost this one until I saw Bruce Buffer's eyes light up as he mouthed "Lyoooooto". Unbelievable.

The only round I though Lyoto decisively took IMO was the third and barely.1st round I had even, and the 5th a slight nod to Rua, but I though 2 and 4 showedRua's definite control

You my friend are either blind as a bat, don't know how to score rounds, or your just a pure Machida fan.

Shogun clearly won the majority of the rounds except for the 3rd. Shogun stuck to his gameplan to be patient and not rush in because that could have cost himdearly, I was very suprised at how Shogun came to this fight which was better than anyone, and he lost which boggles my mind. Shogun pressed the fight 90% ofthe time, he clearly did more damage to his opponent so he should have won...This thing was rigged from the start to my belief that if the fight looked closeup to the point of 60/40 with shogun and machida respectively they would still give it to Lyoto.

Originally Posted by Mojodmonky1

While the rounds were close, it wasn't THAT close. In terms of effective striking it was razor thin, but Rua definitely had octagon control as he was backin Machida down and effectively hunting him for most of the later rounds. I thought octagon control was supposed to count for something. I guess not.

Just an absolutely shocking decision IMO. I had $750 riding on Lyoto and had pretty much accepted the fact that I lost this one until I saw Bruce Buffer's eyes light up as he mouthed "Lyoooooto". Unbelievable.
what site do you use to wager?

im a machida fan also, but just wanted to see a good fight, RUINED my night

if you had machida winning three rounds you are an idiot, i had him winning one round...i can see how somone might say he won two, but that is being generous

the reason didnt capitalize when lyoto was hurt is (im guessing) that Rua was still respective of Lyoto's ability to manipulate those who choose to chargehim and felt his gameplan was working.

which it was.

why switch it up?

awful decision.

Did anyone catch the close-up of Shogun in the lockerroom afterwards? As soon as the camera zooms in on him, he puts his face in his hands and started crying
frown.gif

this loss really had to have hurt him, considering he should be the champ right now

Shogun definitely won. Not only did he land more strikes, but he also had more effective strikes. He was the aggressor in most of the fight, had ring control,took less damage. Shogun being the new champ would have set up Spider vs. Shogun too. Bad decision. Machida needs an asterisk on his undefeated record.

If anyone missed the PPV last night and/or wants to watch the replay, PM me so i can send you the link
nerd.gif

3 rounds for Machida...
laugh.gif
Them things are strong...pass it over myman...
laugh.gif
pimp.gif

trying to take out Machida might be a huge mistake for Shogun so he didn't go for it. He still had his hands to fight regardless if his legs are gone.

http://www.sherdog.com/ne...ht-news-conference-20534

post fight PC

Dana's stressing out he doesnt like the decision

indifferent.gif
@media men asking stupid,repetitive questions

you guys are too much
laugh.gif

I'm obviously in the minority here, and I can deal with the hate
laugh.gif
You can laugh at me thinking Machida won three rounds, but that was the unanimousresult, right? Even if it was iffy, I feel much better seeing the fight like three professional judges, or even Josh Thomson sitting cageside, than a bunch ofpeople claiming this is the Montreal Screwjob.

I do see the point about octagon control...It does count for something. I just don't think it was enough to win the fight. In the rules under octagoncontrol, stuffing takedown attempts counts as effective octagon control, so it goes both ways.

It's ok to call me blind, or an idiot, or both...It's just an opinion! If they would have given the fight to Shogun, I wouldn't have been shocked.

I'm looking forward to the rematch.

This is good.

One more step toward Brock vs Machida.

One more step toward Brock F-5ing Machida
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Can't wait to see Brock angry-baby punch his way to victory.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by damnTHOSEjs

Originally Posted by copped

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

check this out...
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

premature ejaculation FTL!

I seriously called my cousin who's at some other event and told him the same thing
laugh.gif

"Rua won this one dude. Probably a unanimous"
"Machida's legs were done"

*after Buffer's anouncement

"My bad...Rua got robbed"

mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

laugh.gif
@ me sounding like an idiot.

the worst part of all this imo is that shogun may very well have been the only person at 205 capable of beating machida and he did, but got robbed

who else at 205 is capable of beating machida? imo no one other than rampage, in all seriousness rashad does have a shot but i dont see it happening
The ONLY positive thing for this (on Shogun's side) is that he's in tip top form now. His movements were crisp (not at Pride level) but he'll get there + cardio's good. I don't see any of the immediate contenders giving him a problem...I'm a huge Rampage fan and while he can give him a good fight, I see Shogun winning it.

you were definitely not the idiot, the judges were complete @%*+@!% idiots.

btw does anybody have a link to the video of the post fight press conference that doesn't make you download that silverlight bs in order to watch it (mycpu isn't letting me install the silverlight bs for some reason)

pm me if you got a link

^I just posted a link

So away from the "that" fight who watched the other fights? Dream anyone?

Overeem's BullyBeatdown performance
smh.gif
...and so did Rumble Johnson
laugh.gif

Sakuraba
eek.gif
I thought he was gonna get pounded out but it looks like he brokeGalesic's leg

Originally Posted by SneakerHeathen

This is good.

One more step toward Brock vs Machida.

One more step toward Brock F-5ing Machida
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Can't wait to see Brock angry-baby punch his way to victory.
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
There's these things called weight classes...

Originally Posted by RustyShackleford

^^^ Machida fought at HW before and has said recently and constantly that he wanted to fight Brock after 5 title defenses.
Wasn't that heavyweight fight against BJ? Dana isn't gonna let his 205 champ get mauled by Brock.

Back
Top Bottom