Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Aoki...

eek.gif

roll.gif

[h1]http://mmajunkie.com/news/17373/mig...wec-47-likely-to-determine-no-1-contender.mma[/h1]
[h1]Miguel Torres vs. Joseph Benavidez set for WEC 47, likely to determine No. 1 contender[/h1]
by John Morgan and Dann Stupp on Dec 31, 2009 at 10:15 am ET

joseph-benavidez-2.jpg
World Extreme Cagefighting has set a matchup that could very well determine the next challenger for WEC featherweight champion Brian Bowles (or his upcoming opponent, Dominick Cruz).

In what should be one of the early year's top matchups, former champ Miguel Torres (37-2 MMA, 5-1 WEC) takes on fellow contender Joseph Benavidez (11-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) at WEC 47, sources close to the event told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com).

Benavidez partially earned the fight out of necessity; due to injuries, fellow contenders Damacio Page (12-4 MMA, 3-1 UFC) and Scott Jorgensen (8-3 MMA, 4-2 WEC) are both unlikely to be ready for the event, which takes place March 6 at Nationwide Arena in Columbus, Ohio.

MMAjunkie.com first reported Torres' event participation earlier this month, though WEC officials were still unsure of his opponent.

Torres, whose legendary 17-fight win streak came to an end when Bowles took his title in August, fights for the first time since that championship loss. The loss also snapped his five-fight win streak in the WEC and marked the first time he had ever been stopped by an opponent.

WEC General Manager Reed Harris recently told MMAjunkie Radio that he and WEC matchmaker Sean Shelby are hesitant to give immediate championship rematches but feel that Torres could earn a title shot with a win in March.

"The one thing we don't do is try to plan fights before other fights happen because it just doesn't work," Harris said. "But I would say Miguel is not the No. 1 contender but maybe the No. 2 contender.

"We still feel that Miguel could hold that belt. Definitely. We believe that Miguel Torres, on any given night, could win and take that title."

He'll first need to get by Benavidez, who recently rebounded from his first career loss (via decision to Cruz at WEC 42 in August) with an impressive first-round knockout of Rani Yahya at WEC 45. Benavidez, who trains with Urijah Faber at Team Alpha Male, said after the win that he'd welcome a shot at Torres.

"Whatever happens, happens," he said. "I'm not going to really push for it or avoid it or anything. If the WEC wants it, everything that's meant to be is going to happen."

Since Bowles vs. Cruz follows Torres vs. Benavidez on the WEC 47 fight card, we should know the next championship matchup come March.

For the latest on WEC 47, stay tuned to the MMA Rumors section of MMAjunkie.com.

(Pictured: Joseph Benavidez)

Originally Posted by New Wu

Overeem is a beast. Top 3 HW in the world
What is his deal.. he hasn't fought in a Strikeforce event in a few years..

He also looks like he's on the juice.

He didn't look all that great last night but a win's a win. Can't wait to see him fight Fedor if it can ever happen..

The LOL is strong in that one!!

Damn Kid, you forget how to wrestle?! I really think he needs a change in his training regimen. Come down to the states and start training with world classfighters/trainers. Killer Bee just isn't doing it for you anymore. Hell, dropping to 135 isn't a bad idea either. Whatever it takes to get your fireback.

Damn Kid, you forget how to wrestle?! I really think he needs a change in his training regimen. Come down to the states and start training with world classfighters/trainers. Killer Bee just isn't doing it for you anymore. Hell, dropping to 135 isn't a bad idea either. Whatever it takes to get your fireback.

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

He didn't look all that great last night but a win's a win. Can't wait to see him fight Fedor if it can ever happen..

Japan doesnt test for steroids like America does, so my guess is that he is on steroids. He is gonna be alot better opponent for Fedor than Rogers was. I alsowanna see a Ovreem/Werdum rematch.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

Japan doesnt test for steroids like America does, so my guess is that he is on steroids. He is gonna be alot better opponent for Fedor than Rogers was. I also wanna see a Ovreem/Werdum rematch.
pimp.gif
Ding, ding. I was
eek.gif
when he fought Badr Hari.

Originally Posted by Bastitch

thumbsdown.jpg

He wouldn't even be top 3 in the UFC.

Hell, there are LHW's that can whoop him.

I hate to do it, but...."C'MON SON!!!!!"

Since Lesnar is taking his vacation Overeem would be 1 or 2 HW in the UFC. Top 5 HW's in the world:

1.Lesnar
2.Fedor
3.Overeem
4.Mir
5.Carwin

alien.gif

Originally Posted by demonbasketball04

Damn Kid, you forget how to wrestle?! I really think he needs a change in his training regimen. Come down to the states and start training with world class fighters/trainers. Killer Bee just isn't doing it for you anymore. Hell, dropping to 135 isn't a bad idea either. Whatever it takes to get your fire back.

Real talk, I was suprised he got taken down twice by Kanehara. He looked a lot better in this fight, and you could see he wanted that KO right hook but heneeds to change his gameplan and get use some GNP again

pretty good Dynamite show

LOL @ aoki. that was hilarious and sick. i hope he comes to the UFC and eventually fight BJ Penn. he would have to work on his wrestling first and foremost.

thumbsdown.jpg

Since Lesnar is taking his vacation Overeem would be 1 or 2 HW in the UFC. Top 5 HW's in the world:

1.Lesnar
2.Fedor
3.Overeem
4.Mir
5.Carwin

alien.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

im not even gonna comment anything else on this idiotic statement

Originally Posted by Battousai701

thumbsdown.jpg

1.Lesnar
2.Fedor
3.Overeem
4.Mir
5.Carwin

alien.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

im not even gonna comment anything else on this idiotic statement