Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Chael Sonnen def backed up all the smack he talked. He shouldn't be denied a rematch but then again Vitor Belfort is sitting on the bench waiting for a shot. BTW Silva's chin looked kind of suspect I hope Belfort knocks it off lol

Hmmmmm... maybe if GSP got some Sonnen size on him he would be able to do something to Spider.

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Originally Posted by CaptainCrown

Originally Posted by OUTKAST2

BORING %*% FIGHT.................................................both Sonnen and Fitch lie on guys for the entire fight.

Sadly, it is whithin the rules...........which is why boxing is better
Idiot. Sonnen didn't lay on him. He beat up on him from the top the whole fight.

And as for the fight. HOLY !%%@! REMATCH NOW.

i agree, but we might hear about a silva retirement or surgery soon. no way he steps up and accepts a sonnen fight again in the near future. he was schooled in almost every aspect of the game.

on another note, usa beats brazil 3-2. mma is our sport now, you can keep soccer.
He has no choice. This isn't boxing where he can pick and choose the fight. It's Sonnen or nothing. Even all the Vitor talk before the event is put to rest. He isn't going to retire, he's not gonna go out like this. He's fighting Sonnen again, anything else would just be a travesty.

True, but the greatest mma fighter ever just got humbled and humiliated knowing he was minutes away from losing. The next fight, he could possibly be dominated again and tarnish his legacy. However, the thing that separated him from others, that invincibility is gone. I think he takes some time off, and reconsider his options just like Money is doing in boxing. It took Royce a while to get back into fighting when Sakuruba worked him for 90 minutes. Same thing with Hughes when GSP knocked him off his throne.

I agree though it would be a travesty if they didn't rematch. Sonnen put in a great effort, can't wait to hear him talk more smack again.

thats what great fighters do, one mistake and its over.

No complaints about Silva or Chael.

I feel like if theres a rematch Chael wont fight a better, and he'll get stopped earlier.

for as well as he fought, He wasnt ever on the verge of stoppin Silva.

I'm still in shock from what i watched, the boy Anderson was getting rocked the entire fight and then Chael just left himself open... I seriously thought it was a wrap... This was a good night all together. I enjoyed all the fights on the card for the most part. Watching Struve getting beat up the 1st round only to come back in round 2 with the knock out then what appeared to be Silva's %!% whooping then the sudden change i guess its safe to say no fight is ever over till its over.

Man what a night! I'm glad Matt Hughes got his win, that's been my favorite fighter for a while.
When Silva won the bar was about to explode lol. Tonight was a good night great fights all around

sonnen def surprised me especially when he rocked spider in the 1st round
i was at party that was all sonnen fans and the hate was strong
laugh.gif

chael has a problem with tapping (filho), glad spider came back and won
pimp.gif

eyes.gif
imo some people were od'n on the usa stuff with silva
seems like some people on other sites arent giving silva any credit for the win, great fight sonnen made a mistake and silva took advantage

i wouldnt mind a rematch but i thought belfort is next and then maybe shields but since chaels buzz is huge the rematch is looking likely

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Seriously...I was angry at the end of that Silva vs Sonnen fight. The fact that Silva won is fine but everyone is still going to be slurping him down bc he was a 12 fight win streak and all that other BS.

Chael talked all that %+@ and I honestly thought Silva would knock him into next the century but it was the other way around. Silva looked PATHETIC!!!!! Chael treated him like a toy taking him down and beating his face in. The funny part was that Chael was winning the entire 4.5 rounds and he looked like he was getting killed. Silva's face was fine.

Chael won every second of that fight, and maybe even had one round go 10-8. Silva got exposed and looked like he was outmatched.

I give props to Chael for talking all that stuff and beating Silva up and down the ring, he really impressed me. Silva just coasted by, I hope they fight again soon.
Silva didn't look pathetic. Chael was the perfect fighter to put in against Silva. A pressure freestyle wrestler that's not afraid of Anderson. Hendo's wrestling is different. Hendo is a greco guy, his best chance was the clinch. Which is Anderson's best chance. You have an Olympic calibur wrestler in Sonnen as big and strong as Chael that's what you get. MMA is huge on match ups with the amount of styles there are. And not everyone cuts the same way, not everyone bruises the same way. Just because Silva's face looked fine doesn't mean he was getting killed and pounded out.

And about the "slurping" comment, anyone that has competed in jitz, boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, etc. any sport where it's just a single person and not a team knows that getting beat up and coming from behind is HUGE. Anderson deserves this "slurping", just like Brock did in Carwin. It's one of the hardest things to do as a champion, so let's just hush on that issue.

Silva didn't look pathetic. Chael was the perfect fighter to put in against Silva. A pressure freestyle wrestler that's not afraid of Anderson. Hendo's wrestling is different. Hendo is a greco guy, his best chance was the clinch. Which is Anderson's best chance. You have an Olympic calibur wrestler in Sonnen as big and strong as Chael that's what you get. MMA is huge on match ups with the amount of styles there are. And not everyone cuts the same way, not everyone bruises the same way. Just because Silva's face looked fine doesn't mean he was getting killed and pounded out.
Chael isn't a freestyle guy though.  He's folk and Greco with Greco being his best.

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

thats what great fighters do, one mistake and its over.

No complaints about Silva or Chael.

I feel like if theres a rematch Chael wont fight a better, and he'll get stopped earlier.

for as well as he fought, He wasnt ever on the verge of stoppin Silva.
Never on the verge of TKO/KO/Submission, but he could've of easily stalled on top position in the 5th and gotten the W. We just saw Anderson's chin get tested tonight, and he took some MONSTER shots from the bottom. Anyone else would've been stopped early. Props for Chael for not stalling and trying to finish. That's what wrestlers should be doing, and props to Fitch for what he did and dictated the fight, but it's still a fight and more wrestlers should take some notes from Chael tonight.

Seriously...I was angry at the end of that Silva vs Sonnen fight. The fact that Silva won is fine but everyone is still going to be slurping him down bc he was a 12 fight win streak and all that other BS.

Chael talked all that %+@ and I honestly thought Silva would knock him into next the century but it was the other way around. Silva looked PATHETIC!!!!! Chael treated him like a toy taking him down and beating his face in. The funny part was that Chael was winning the entire 4.5 rounds and he looked like he was getting killed. Silva's face was fine.

Chael won every second of that fight, and maybe even had one round go 10-8. Silva got exposed and looked like he was outmatched.

I give props to Chael for talking all that stuff and beating Silva up and down the ring, he really impressed me. Silva just coasted by, I hope they fight again soon.

And about the "slurping" comment, anyone that has competed in jitz, boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, etc. any sport where it's just a single person and not a team knows that getting beat up and coming from behind is HUGE. Anderson deserves this "slurping", just like Brock did in Carwin. It's one of the hardest things to do as a champion, so let's just hush on that issue.
Silva was/is regarded as the best pound-for-pound fighter on this planet because of his previous fights and his domination. Going into this fight 99% of people said Silva would win easily. Anderson did NOTHING in this fight that backs up the point of him being the best PFP fighter. If you are the best then w/e style is thrown at you you can adapt, adjust and gain an advantage. At one point during the fight Silva had his hands at his thighs taking punches ON PURPOSE. As if to show he is some bad $%! and he could eat punches, meanwhile he is getting taken down like a god damn rag doll. Listen, Silva is amazing, I'm not saying he isnt but he was really out performed in this fight and it goes to show you that Silva has holes. I understand that coming from behind is huge, and everyone always gets a kick out of it and props to Silva for finding a way to submit Chael but what I'm saying is from an overall body of work perspective of the fight. Chael won in every aspect of the fight.

Originally Posted by SFN 155

Chael isn't a freestyle guy though.  He's folk and Greco with Greco being his best.
Damn, you're right
laugh.gif
. Now I just feel like dumb. I'm probably gonna read up on wrestling for a damn hour now
laugh.gif
/

Went to Hooters downtown, no lie, there was this Silva looking dude that after the first round did not watch ANY of the fight. Your man had his face in his hands throughout. When Silva made Chael tap, your man wake up out of that deep sleep. I went up to him and said, "Man you must have had A LOT of $ on the line. You looked so damn nervous man."

Good night though. UFC is great

Imo Silva aint p4p best on the planet. The p4p best would do some offense in the 4 rounds he was getting dominated. Lesnar can be "the baddest man on the planet" because he was at least trying do get Carwin away off his back. This just elevates my hatred for Silva

I think Silva wasn't cut or bruised badly because he doesn't have much scar tissue as other fighters. Probably the first time he has taken serious shots to the face. In the morning, it will be a different story, he will look like a potato.

like they said. chael did not backed up everything he said. where the win? and the twelve pound of gold?
this guy is a joke and i cannot listen to him. silva is all on the firendly and respective side, its a good look for the sport. but chael just cares about winning and maybe why he always comes in second place.

Originally Posted by CaptainCrown

I think Silva wasn't cut or bruised badly because he doesn't have much scar tissue as other fighters. Probably the first time he has taken serious shots to the face. In the morning, it will be a different story, he will look like a potato.

yeah he doesnt have much scar tissue on his face. but internaly you knw he's in pain. chael looks more beatup but anderson internal pain must be
sick.gif
  in the press conference he was moooving awkwardly like hes in real pain.

Originally Posted by truubrasilian33

like they said. chael did not backed up everything he said. where the win? and the twelve pound of gold?
this guy is a joke and i cannot listen to him. silva is all on the firendly and respective side, its a good look for the sport. but chael just cares about winning and maybe why he always comes in second place.

indifferent.gif
i wanted Silva to win but saying Chael didn't back up everything he said is blasphemy the man was DESTROYING the P4P KING for 4 and a half rounds. But at the end of the Silva is the champ obviously. Also i don't understand that bolded part?

Silva was/is regarded as the best pound-for-pound fighter on this planet because of his previous fights and his domination. Going into this fight 99% of people said Silva would win easily. Anderson did NOTHING in this fight that backs up the point of him being the best PFP fighter. If you are the best then w/e style is thrown at you you can adapt, adjust and gain an advantage. At one point during the fight Silva had his hands at his thighs taking punches ON PURPOSE. As if to show he is some bad $%! and he could eat punches, meanwhile he is getting taken down like a god damn rag doll. Listen, Silva is amazing, I'm not saying he isnt but he was really out performed in this fight and it goes to show you that Silva has holes. I understand that coming from behind is huge, and everyone always gets a kick out of it and props to Silva for finding a way to submit Chael but what I'm saying is from an overall body of work perspective of the fight. Chael won in every aspect of the fight.

Do you think that triangle was just some shot in the dark?  He ADAPTED to the fact that Chael Sonnen kept getting him on his back.  He ADJUSTED his game plan...try to submit him from the ground position.  Was that his original game plan...obviously not.  But what he did worked, whether he did it in the first round or late in the fifth.

And he wasn't taking those punches to be tough.  You could see during the fight there were times where he would feign inactivity to lure Chael into opening himself up.  That's how he landed the elbow that cut Chael and how he got the submission at the end.

False. He lost in the most important aspect of the fight, and that's being able to put a fighter away.  Sonnen was on top of Silva for damn near the whole fight but he couldn't put him away.  Whos fault is that? You have to beat the champion.  He was a few minutes away from taking that belt, but Silva found an opening and took it.

Back
Top Bottom