Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

The Las Vegas Athletic Commission has approved the UFC's October 29th date request to host UFC 137 at the Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, NV so you can officially mark the date in on your calendar.

Georges St. Pierre will look to continue his reign atop the UFC's welterweight division when he defends the UFC Welterweight Title against Strikeforce Welterweight Champion Nick Diaz. Diaz title will not be on the line and he will instead vacate the strap to challenge for the UFC belt.

Diaz, who returns to the UFC for the first time since 2006, will be allowed to return to Strikeforce if he is unable to take the title away from St. Pierre, who is riding a nine fight win streak heading into the fight.

The event will air live on Pay-Per-View and will also feature preliminary fights on Facebook and possibly Spike TV.

No other bouts are rumored for the card but they can be expected to begin rolling in shortly.

Jones vs. Rampage is official for UFC 135.
pimp.gif
TIME TO GET THAT BELT BACK! *howls*

MMA has been picking up 
pimp.gif

This Saturday we get Overeem
pimp.gif

We get Noons vs Masvidal
pimp.gif

We get Barnett back in the states as well
pimp.gif

Rampage v Bones
pimp.gif

Diaz vs GSP
pimp.gif

I might've missed something but how did Rampage get a title shot ahead of Rashad?

Is it due to the fact that Bones' injury wasn't as serious as initially thought and he could fight sooner and Rashad was already scheduled to fight Phil Davis?

Originally Posted by toine2983

I might've missed something but how did Rampage get a title shot ahead of Rashad?

Is it due to the fact that Bones' injury wasn't as serious as initially thought and he could fight sooner and Rashad was already scheduled to fight Phil Davis?
Yeah, that's basically it.

Can't wait for Rampage vs Jones, though I am hoping Rampage shows us something more than he did his last three fights. If not Jones could make quick work of him.

The GSP vs Diaz matchup has me intrigued but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. GSP has become one of those fight not to lose type fighters these days. So unless Diaz trains heavy on takedown defense we could see another decision with GSP getting a few shots in and taking Diaz to the ground for 3/4 or more of each round.

Also looking forward to Miller vs Henderson. Would be great to see Henderson take this and eventually get a titleshot maybe sometime in 2012.

It's so odd seeing my Facebook newsfeed showing Strikeforce photos of Overeem and Barnett... from UFC's page. Lol. Still gotta get used to everything. It looks like Barnett and Overeem were pretty friendly towards each other this week. That's cool to see.

Can't wait for Saturday. Can't wait to see Overeem again
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by ex carrabba fan

MMA has been picking up 
pimp.gif

This Saturday we get Overeem
pimp.gif

We get Noons vs Masvidal
pimp.gif

We get Barnett back in the states as well
pimp.gif

Rampage v Bones
pimp.gif

Diaz vs GSP
pimp.gif

This is the fight I am most looking forward to.  Hopefully it delivers with some fight of the year type of fireworks.

Just started training at Werdum's gym, so by default I guess I have to root for Werdum.  I have yet to see him at the gym since he's supposedly been down at Kings training for the fight, but hopefully his standup has continued to get better and he can eventually get this fight to the mat before he gets clocked by the hammer of Thor....errr.... Ubereem.

Originally Posted by jayt206

The GSP vs Diaz matchup has me intrigued but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. GSP has become one of those fight not to lose type fighters these days. So unless Diaz trains heavy on takedown defense we could see another decision with GSP getting a few shots in and taking Diaz to the ground for 3/4 or more of each round.

What I find interesting about this match is that Diaz has good striking and excellent BJJ. GSP said he fights to the weaknesses of his fighters, so if he wants to takedown Diaz he would still have problems with Diaz' grappling. I think GSP will work extra hard with Freddie Roach in order to outbox Diaz, GSP will expose Diaz' flaws in his boxing with the help of Roach.

Originally Posted by quiickz

What I find interesting about this match is that Diaz has good striking and excellent BJJ. GSP said he fights to the weaknesses of his fighters, so if he wants to takedown Diaz he would still have problems with Diaz' grappling. I think GSP will work extra hard with Freddie Roach in order to outbox Diaz, GSP will expose Diaz' flaws in his boxing with the help of Roach.
Diaz's boxing is world's ahead GSP's. GSP should work extra hard on his kickboxing, but Nick has a great chin and IMO GSP doesn't have that one strike knockout power to give Nick much of a problem. Nick will just walk through GSP's kicks.

I don't think GSP is afraid of Nick Diaz's submission skills, he's fought B.J. Penn and Jake Shields before.

I also don't think he's that great of a boxer (he has poor defense, takes too many risks), but he has the chin to help him get away with it.

GSP will likely employ a strategy similar to his fight with B.J., take away his knockout strength by making him work on the fence/putting his weight on him. He'll probably throw in some dirty boxing and wrestling. In the later rounds when he believes Nick is tired he will try to go for some kind of finish.

Originally Posted by MOE FAB UAFA

True, I like Brock myself. If he had to lose to anyone in that fashion, I'm glad it was to Cain. Cain is all class.

He is. But, I think the reason I don't like him most is because of all the hype he got in the Hispanic community. Alot, and I mean alot, of people I know only rolled with him because he's Chicano, not because he's a good fighter. That's what really irked me the most. The way his fans were, he was kind of viewed as a "De La Hoya" type guy to me (Hype-wise not talent-wise). It's unfair, but such is life. Needless to say, he is a beast.

I don't agree with this comment. The Mexican community never got behind De La Hoya, it's actually quite the opposite. Oscar was never considered a "real" Mexican since he fought for the U.S. in the olympics and never really embraced his Mexican roots. Cain on the other hand always talks directly to his Mexican fanbase and always embraces his roots. There is always going to be Ppatriotism in sports, especially with a fighting sport, especially with Mexicans because of our boxing, fighting, heritage. 

It's not too different with GSP and Canadians. A lot of them follow him and hype him up JUST because he's Canadian. There isn't anything wrong with that.

Couldn't read the entire article since i'm not a subsriber to ESPN insider, but:

Dana White has confirmed Brendan Schaub may get a crack at the heavyweight title with a win over Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
 And so hyped to see Overeem fight again this weekend.

Overeem gonna knock him senseless
pimp.gif

Noons > Masvidal
Jones > Slampage (rootin for page tho)
Diaz >>> GSP
I want to see Melendez v Noons happen.....

Originally Posted by NORCALHUSSLA

Overeem gonna knock him senseless
pimp.gif

Noons > Masvidal
Jones > Slampage (rootin for page tho)
Diaz >>> GSP
I want to see Melendez v Noons happen.....
Noons has to get past a very game Masvidal first.  Hopefully he does, or else my online betting account is going to be busto
laugh.gif

Upset of the weekend (and very very slight upset at that)

I think Wilcox is too much to handle for JZ.  JZ didnt look great his last time out.

Maybe Monson teaches the newcomer Cormier a thing or two when the fight hits the mat.

Originally Posted by chino905

Couldn't read the entire article since i'm not a subsriber to ESPN insider, but:

Dana White has confirmed Brendan Schaub may get a crack at the heavyweight title with a win over Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira
 And so hyped to see Overeem fight again this weekend.
In no way does Schaub deserve a titleshot yet. He needs to fight one of the top 5 heavyweights, a good matchup would be him and Mir. I think the winner of Strikeforce's grand prix should get first dibs on winner of Cain/JDS.

In no way does Schaub deserve a titleshot yet. He needs to fight one of the top 5 heavyweights, a good matchup would be him and Mir. I think the winner of Strikeforce's grand prix should get first dibs on winner of Cain/JDS.
SERIOUSLY. This dude just got mopped up by Roy and he gets a title shot after beating dudes with a median age of like 40? *$++$ please

We need SF HWs in the UFC ASAP.

Yes, winner of SF HWGP vs. winner of Cain/Dos Santos. Make it happen, Dana!

Schuab needs 2 more fights after Big Nog before he gets crack at title. Maybe a re-match with Roy Nelson to avenge his only loss.

Few questions

1. Did anyone keep up with Josh Barnett while he was in New Japan?

2. Alistair Overeem, when the hell will he come over to UFC? Does he have to drop the title first? And is dude clean?

Does anyone know if the weigh ins will be streaming somewhere?
Can't take too much from Barnett's recent bouts, due to the caliber of the opponents. I think the most you can conclude is that he's taking good care of his body and he's handling business as he should. His fight with Rogers is actually a perfect transition back. I think Rogers is enough to welcome Barnett back to some semi worthy competition, but Rogers shouldn't seriously test Barnett. If Rogers wins, it would be a huge stain on Barnett's record.
Overeem is clean. I'm guessing he's been clean for at least a year now, since he did have one fight recently in the US against Rogers. If he wins the Grand Prix you can bet your %@@ his next fight will be against the UFC champ. As far as the belt goes, who cares. If you look at what Diaz had to do, then Overeem might have to vacate the belt but I really don't think any of that matters. I just want to see everyone together and fighting each other.

Overeem vs any of Dos Santos/Cain/Brock/Carwin 
eek.gif

Overeem vs any of Dos Santos/Cain/Brock/Carwin 
eek.gif
Yep Yep Yep

laugh.gif
@ Him being clean for a year. So I guess that body isn't genetics. Figured that.

But I am about to go watch some of his K-1 Bouts, anyone suggest anything in particular? Or it can be from Pride. He competed in Pancrase too right?

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

Few questions

1. Did anyone keep up with Josh Barnett while he was in New Japan?

2. Alistair Overeem, when the hell will he come over to UFC? Does he have to drop the title first? And is dude clean?

Overeem said in an interview that he plans to first win the Grand Prix and then he plans to go to the UFC to unify the belts and become the #1 heavyweight in the world
pimp.gif
  dude is out on a mission
devil.gif
pimp.gif

All this Overeem hype. Hopefully he delivers.

Kinda on topic... did any of you guys happen to catch Tim Marchman's article/blog on SI.com?

dude is a straight clown talkin bout how Overeem = The BJ Penn Fallacy.

Back
Top Bottom