Official MMA Thread-UFC on FOX 3, 5/5/12 - Anyone asking for stream links = banned.

Originally Posted by dako akong otin

I'm not a die hard MMA fan (boxing fan here) but i watch all of BJ's fights. I'm disappointed like most of the fellow BJ fans. Most painful fight i watched... kept hoping he'd just out-box GSP like what he did to Sherk, but GSP just too powerful, too skillful... I was worried during the introductions when BJ looked kinda nervous (he didnt' look like that against Sherk) and he didn't do his trademark face slap. GSP's eyes are stone cold and focused. I'm very impressed with GSP's focus, hard work, and dedication. If BJ would lose a fight, I'm glad its to someone humble like GSP. He's a great ambassador to the sport. Both him and Anderson Silva are just great role models to future MMA fighters.

Still disappointed though
tired.gif

he did his face slap, but was just dissapointed that he wasn't agressive in the first 2 rounds. he didn't strike or use his bjj. he only attempted arubber guard in the first and that's it. i don't know if he was nervous or not into it, because he wasn't in the fight he was too calm. the onlything i like was when gsp tried to mount him and bj didn't allow him to.

Just got back home from the fight and boy was that main card a major letdown.

I know there was a probability that the fight would end in something like a decision going to the judges or a side throwing in the towel which is whathappened, but I really expected the BJ/GSP fight to end in a tapout or knockout. I actually prayed it would.

This was one of the most lackluster main events of UFC that I have ever witnessed. I respect BJ's accomplishments and his skill but he didn't put anyof that to work tonight. GSP dominated from jump street. And I was rooting for GSP to win, but not like that.

Machida's fight was great, I enjoyed Clay's as well, although I hoped Diaz would come out on top.

I wonder where BJ goes from here, he should have stayed away from all them girls though. Like they say first you get the money then you get the power then youget the B's. I really think he let all this stuff go to his head and instead of fighting he was waiting for an opportunity to submit GSP which never came.

who's the quitter now BJ??? i loved every second of that one. COMPLETE DOMINATION! I thought Herb Dean was gonna stop it a couple times when GSP was teeingoff in BJ with the ground n pound but I am glad he didn't. BJ quitting was much sweeter than any KO or Sub. Love when someone who talks...poop eats his ownwords.

Also wow I love the new semi-aggressiveness from Machida. That right there is what will get him a title shot. He deserves it. That right there was an awesomeKO at the buzzer.

Karo vs. Kim. come on I wanted Parisyan to win that but no way did I think he won that one. He lost 29-28 at BEST!

Stephan Bonnar..it's OK man you been out for almost a year and a half and Jon Jones is simply amazing for his age. Bones Jones made a couple mistakes butthey never came back to haunt him. He had amazing throws and takedowns and that spinnin elbow....whhaaattttt???? he will be a force to be reckoned with he isonly 21!!!

I know nobody likes Nate Diaz but I was rooting for him. He has so much potential. He is a very smart fighter and always composed but tonight seemed like inall three rounds he tried something too late. It seemed like at the end of all 3 rounds I was like MAN if he had another 30-45 seconds. Oh well. The kid isonly 23. what he needs to do is get in there put a little more muscle on and study some Muay Thai. He has the body for it in the weight class he is in. If hecould get in there and work in perfecting that thai clinch he will be very dangerous in the 155lb division.

On the big fight:

i thought it was going to be A LOT closer. the first round was pretty uneventful in fact i actually gave it to bj because he impressively stuffed all thetakedown attempts and i think he got the better of the minimal striking that happened. but from that point on he got MAULED. gsp's wrestling is fromanother universe. i knew there was a decent chance the fight would be won with gsp's wrestling but i thought it would have been much more like the lastfight, wherein bj was really active from his guard.

i think thiago has a chance to upset gsp but it's a small one.

they should have held off announcing silva/leites. that card is in montreal and it would have been the perfect venue for silva/gsp.

for those saying that bj quit, you're wrong. his corner asked for the fight to be stopped because their fighter was gettingpummeled, that's their job. he was exhausted and fairly unresponsive and their was no way they could have responsibly sent him back out there.

Other notes:

diaz lost. superb.

karo was unconvincing.

3 words. spinning, back, elbow.

lyoto machida is the next light heavyweight champion.

Jon Jones will be champ by 25. That guy has a really bright future. Youngest dude on UFC's roster and he takes out a decent vet.

Machida. He has a lot of haters because of his style. Some say he runs. I say he's a mastermind with it. Dude's never really taken a serious hitbecause he plays you like a spider. Dude baits you into his web and then unleashes the poison. Because his fighting I.Q. is off the charts I'd love to seehim go against pure speed like Rashad Evans. I can't even figure out who has the upper hand in that fight.

GSP is that dude. BJ was outclassed by a dude who trained harder and wanted it more. He's going to have that belt for a very long time.

The only thing to consider now is who is the best p4p fighter in MMA? Anderson Silva? Fedor? Faber? GSP? You could even say Lesnar based on how much of a beasthe is.

Oh yeah, Kim was robbed by that douche bag Karo. The fight was almost as boring as the Guida v. Diaz fight. Guida is the most boring fighter ever. Dude hugsDiaz for 3 rounds and squeebs a win. Karo though...Jeeze...Probably the most arrogant dude in the UFC and he has nothing to back it up with. He was on ESPNafter saying he's top 8 in the world. What a joke.

Originally Posted by BrOwNiN187

The only thing to consider now is who is the best p4p fighter in MMA? Anderson Silva? Fedor? Faber? GSP? You could even say Lesnar based on how much of a beast he is.

faber doesnt even dwell in the same universe with the likes of silva and gsp. or even bj.

**ahem**

I just got one thing to say......

WOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My man GSP came out and did WORK all over BJ's fat +*##$% face!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hell mutha +*##$% yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got 'Team Hawaii' in tears right now LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!! Executed his game pln PERRRRRFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah man, I feel like a million bucks right now!!!!!! First I see my Bulls stomp out the sorry $%* Suns live, then I come home and watch GSP turn ++%% talkingPenn into his lil' %**%+ for 20 minutes!!!!!!

The way things are going, I actually think the CARDINALS can win it tomorrow too!!!!!!!!!!

"GSP is a quitter..." - BJ Penn

pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Clutchshooter

for those saying that bj quit, you're wrong. his corner asked for the fight to be stopped because their fighter was getting pummeled, that's their job. he was exhausted and fairly unresponsive and their was no way they could have responsibly sent him back out there.
eyes.gif
His eyes and body language said it all. The Prodigy quitjust like the The Golden Boy.

Damn. Was anybody else surprised that the 2 fights that were supposed to be the most boring ended up being the most exciting?

Also, anybody else who thinks Alves has a shot to beat GSP is crazy. GSP takes down people at will. At will. And his stand up is clearly above average.

As soon as Lyoto takes the LHW belt, from Rashad...it's gonna happen....I'm pretty sure LW, WW, MW and LHW belts aren't going anywhere for a while.That is how much better Penn, GSP, Silva, and Machida are than everybody else in their classes. I will say though, that the only reason Silva won't losehis belt, is because there is nobody good other than him. Hendo at 38 years old doesn't cut it.

Top 5 Pound-for-Pound:

1) Fedor.....clearly
2) GSP
3) Penn
4) Machida
5) Silva

Originally Posted by itsmedamien

for those saying that bj quit, you're wrong. his corner asked for the fight to be stopped because their fighter was getting pummeled, that's their job. he was exhausted and fairly unresponsive and their was no way they could have responsibly sent him back out there.
eyes.gif
His eyes and body language said it all. The Prodigy quit just like the The Golden Boy.

the way I remember...the doctor looked away and you can see J.D. asking B.J. are we done? are we done? then you just see B.J. nod his head to confirm then J.D.signals the doctor and the doctor gives the news. I WAS SO JACKED WHEN I SEEN THAT!!! Ordinarily I wouldn't care cause he wasn't doin %!$! and it madesense to just give it up but he just ate a huge "my own words" sandwich with that one. That said I still respect BJ but he should have known better.As much as he said he didn't think about the last fight during training he got over-confident from it. He thought he would improve and GSP have a similarskill set from 2006. He just needs to stay at 155lbs and focus on defending his belt. Kenny Florian can and I believe will beat BJ and take that belt. and asfar as Thiago Alves vs GSP...that will be a good one. as awesome as gsp's takedowns are alves has great takedown defense as shown against former champ matthughes (past his prime i know) and rising star and former all-american wrestler koscheck. on top of that has good BJJ and very lethal muay thai. his kicks andknees are second to none in his class and the man is HUGE for 170. definitely the biggest welterweight I have ever seen.

Lyoto has my respect now and deserves that title shot.

exactly what i was sayin...he will get that shot too. probly at ufc 99 or 100 im guessing. another battle of the undefeateds. soooo many good fights this yearto look forward to and its only january. we only know who's fightin thru may.

The only thing to consider now is who is the best p4p fighter in MMA? Anderson Silva? Fedor? Faber? GSP? You could even say Lesnar based on how much of a beast he is.

faber doesnt even dwell in the same universe with the likes of silva and gsp. or even bj.
He embarressed Jens Pulver twice, a guy that beat up BJ Penn pretty bad not too long ago....The last time was in 90 seconds. Of course he belongsin talks as the best p4p. He's a freak in the ring. He dominates his weight classs.

I beg to differ.

I think Silva and Fedor are far ahead of the crowd in their respective weight classes right now.

But Faber is like a mini-GSP. Same freakish athleticism, same level of dominance (Faber moreso because of lower competition), both masterful wrestlers andafter Fabers last fight with Pulver I would say he has a better stand up game than GSP. Dude looked like a professional boxer.

I don't know how you come up with them "not even dwelling in the same universe".

They are the 2 most athletic fighters in their weight classes, train like animals, have great all-around technique and are dominanting their comp.

He embarressed Jens Pulver twice, a guy that beat up BJ Penn pretty bad not too long ago....The last time was in 90 seconds. Of course he belongs in talks as the best p4p. He's a freak in the ring. He dominates his weight classs.
yeah faber definitely deserves mentioning but u cant be seriously considered at the moment if uarent even champ of ur own division

He embarressed Jens Pulver twice, a guy that beat up BJ Penn pretty bad not too long ago....The last time was in 90 seconds. Of course he belongs in talks as the best p4p. He's a freak in the ring. He dominates his weight classs.

7 years isnt too long ago?

how about the fight a year and a half ago that bj dominated and beat jens to a pulp before choking him out?

jens pulver is no measuring stick in modern day mma. he's lost 5 of his last 6 and he's 4-7 since the beginning of 05.

i guarantee you silva, gsp, bj, etc would not be ko'd by the likes of mike brown.

faber cant even see the elite of the mma world.

how about the fight a year and a half ago that bj dominated and beat jens to a pulp before choking him out?

jens pulver is no measuring stick in modern day mma. he's lost 5 of his last 6 and he's 4-7 since the beginning of 05.

i guarantee you silva, gsp, bj, etc would not be ko'd by the likes of mike brown.

If Silva, GSP or BJ fought Mike Brown...they would probably get carried away in handcuffs....because no fight organization in their right mind would wouldmatch up those fighters. They are even close to being in the same weight class....What the hell are you talking about?

Faber hasn't even really been challeneged in his professional career. He lost to Mike Brown because he got cute. He tried a no look spining elbow and gotrocked by an excellenct striker. It was bound to happen sooner or later. He had a habit of carelessness and trying to excite the crowd because he is the WECposterboy and has gone relatively unchallenged. It happens to all prodigies.

Who is the elite of the MMA world that Faber can't see?

let's not get ahead of ourselves. Lesnar has only fought 4 times. if you consider that a testament to his "greatness," I don'treally know what to say. Maybe the next fight will determine something, but until then brock should not be considered a top P4P fighter
tired.gif

you are unaware

^ Anyone that can beat Randy Couture should be considered...He's so physically imposing and he'll only get better in the ring.

Brock v. Mir II will make or break Lesnar.

was just over at mmaweekly and saw this:

trouble for St. Pierre's corner.

LAS VEGAS - Although it flew under the radar for most of the fans in attendance and those watching on television, there was an incident during the UFC 94 main event mega-fight between Georges St. Pierre and B.J. Penn that could land one of St. Pierre's cornermen in hot water.

It seems that at some point between the first and second rounds, a St. Pierre cornerman allegedly applied Vaseline to St. Pierre's back, an infraction of the rules.

"I saw the commission jump up there and flip out. They said that one of the guys was rubbing Vaseline on GSP's back... in between one of the rounds, one and two, I think," said UFC president Dana White following the UFC 94 post-fight press conference. "I personally didn't see it, the commission did. And that's about as illegal as you can get... I'm sure the commission is going to deal (with it)."

St. Pierre was clearly wiped down with towels in between rounds two and three, and again between rounds three and four, by a commission official.

White believes - while the allegations are serious and that there should be serious repercussions - the outcome of the fight wasn't tainted by the incident.

"You could have put Vaseline on from head to toe, that wasn't the point, the point was you don't do it. It's illegal. The guy who did it needs to be punished, it's not (St. Pierre's) fault," said the UFC president. "The question is what happens to a guy that does that. You've got to put the smack down on him. He should lose his license.

"I don't think that impacted the fight, I don't."

A representative of Penn's camp informed MMAWeekly.com that they had not yet determined whether to file a formal complaint with the Nevada State Athletic Commission.

There was no comment available from St. Pierre's camp or from the Nevada State Athletic Commission at the time of publication.

you are unaware
you are easy to give credit to the unproven.

i am far from unaware.

ufc is dogging machida.

that title shot is his.

If Jackson wins, he get an immediate chance to reclaim his belt, which he lost to Forrest Griffin in 2008. If Jardine wins, though, Machida will get the first shot at recently crowned champion Rashad Evans' belt. Evans won the belt with a third-round TKO of Griffin at UFC 92. (Jackson knocked out Wanderlei Silva at the same event to climb back into the title picture.)

"We don't have [Machida"> scheduled to fight Rashad next," White said in the post-UFC 94 press conference. "But he's in the mix. He'll probably have a title shot before the end of the year."

Back
Top Bottom