Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is a very unpopular opinion. Judging by the stone-faces from Celtic, Knicks, and skepticism from Laker fans.

But, Doc Rivers to me is over-hyped and over-rated. Not saying he's not a good coach, he's just not what everyone pictures him to be. He's on this coaching pedestal when he shouldn't be, media darling. Go do the homework.

David Aldridge reported of a deal that was practically done yet nixed at the final moment.

L.A. CLIPPERS: The Clips stood pat, but not by their basketball people's choice. L.A. and Washington had a done deal Wednesday night that would have sent forward Trevor Ariza to the Clippers in exchange for Caron Butler, giving L.A. a long, defensive-oriented body to throw at the likes of Kevin Durant in the playoffs. (Butler, who still has an offseason home in the D.C. area, and who was loved by the locals, didn't have a problem returning to a non-Arenas Wizards locker room. He'd have been welcomed back as a much-needed offensive option, according to sources.)
But sources indicated that Clippers owner Donald Sterling nixed the deal Thursday morning, not wanting to gamble on the team's chemistry being affected in any way down the stretch. My interpretation: we don't want to do anything that could, in any way, be held against us by assistant general manager Chris Paul this summer if we don't get far in the postseason.
Either way, the Clips probably are just as well. If Paul couldn't convince Kevin Garnett to come West, there wasn't another game-changing deal out there.

Scott Brooks pretty much confirming he is going to lose us games by playing Derek Fisher too many minutes.
I saw the addition of Derek Fisher as a great thing, as a perfect move to bring in a great locker room voice and added roster insurance. A very sensible, smart thing to do with an open roster slot available.

But that was assuming he wasn’t going to be jumping right back into the rotation because surely not, right?

Definitely, he will play,” so says Scott Brooks.

Oh.

More Brooks: “Does he take spots on the floor, minutes from other guys? To have a good team you have to have sacrifices from everybody.”

Oh.

“Minutes are going to be had, minutes are probably going to be taken away from many guys. Not just because of Derek Fisher, but as the season goes on, sometimes the rotations become smaller.”
The rest...
Oh. No.

Last season’s circumstances were much different when Fisher joined the team. Eric Maynor was down and out with an ACL injury and the Thunder were facing a postseason having to rely on a rookie point guard as Russell Westbrook’s backup. It was clear Reggie Jackson wasn’t ready, that he needed some more time to learn and grow.

This season, it’s changed. Jackson has developed considerably, becoming a quality second unit player and someone that’s earned his minutes. He’s versatile, athletic and seems to be building confidence and understanding his role better and better. Early on, it appeared he was a little hesitant to let loose and play while Maynor was still looking over his shoulder. After it became clear the job was his, Jackson blossomed some as a playmaker. Nothing spectacular, but certainly encouraging.

Is Fisher going to usurp Jackson again? We’ll learn more over the next week or so, but the fact any minutes are going Fisher’s way and not directed to the likes of Jackson, Jeremy Lamb, Nick Collison, Thabo or whoever, is a bad thing. Fisher can still hit a corner 3 and was fairly productive for OKC last season, but his defense is awful and even six minutes on the floor for him means six minutes less for someone else. I don’t get that. Seems to me it flies in the face of the Thunder developmental philosophy too. Instead of giving spot minutes to a young player to get him adapted and comfortable, a 38-year-old on a three-month rental is going to get that time.

Again, I think bringing Fisher back is a very sensible, smart move. It makes a ton of sense. And even playing him in spots isn’t the worst thing ever, much in the same way Royal Ivey sometimes saw time, or even Daequan Cook. But we all know what happened last season with Fisher’s playing time growing to the point where he was seeing upwards of 30 minutes in the NBA Finals. And if he’s set to “definitely” play, it’s natural to feel that he’s going to play a lot. Like at the expense of Jackson.

My tank is much more full showing up this year than it was last year,” Fisher said. “So I plan on being more impactful and more effective than I was for the team last year.”

So what about this destroying Jackson’s confidence?

That’s hypothetical,” Brooks said.

It would also be likely.

Here’s what Fisher said of his role: “I’ve come here without any sense of entitlement or expectation … Whatever role or whatever opportunities Scotty and the team sees for me in terms of being helpful, that’s what I’m willing to play.

“I think Reggie Jackson has played really solid basketball and deserves the opportunity to continue to play
,” Fisher said. “So Scotty will make those decisions.”

As Brooks was pressed on it a bit more, he was very coy about his rotations and playing time. He danced around anything direct about how much Fisher would play or if he’d be in the rotation. That is a little different change in tune from last season when Fisher was signed and Brooks immediately declared that he would be Westbrook’s backup.

So we’ll just have to sort of wait and see what happens with the rotations and playing time. Will we get an idea Wednesday against the Hornets? Will both Ronnie Brewer and Fisher be active?

Said Brooks: “Ask me tomorrow.”

SCOTT BROOKS

http://dailythunder.com/2013/02/practice-report-derek-fisher-will-definitely-play/

DEREK FISHER

On why he chose No. 6: “For sure, kind of symbolizing and serving as motivation for myself that winning at the end of the day, is what this all about. It symbolizes for me in terms of No. 6, but it also symbolizes for me the reason why I’m here to be part of this team and that’s to get No. 1.”

Last edited:
Coach K overrated, though?

roll.gif
roll.gif

Zyzz my god dude
That's how it works around here. You're either overrated or in the Hall of Fame. No in-between.

Team USA never seems to run any sort of set system. Maybe a philosophy (run!), but not a system.

The coach basically needs to be a guy that can command respect... and set practice times/lineups.

School me if I'm taking too much credit away from the coaches.

Team USA never seems to run any sort of set system. Maybe a philosophy (run!), but not a system.

The coach basically needs to be a guy that can command respect... and set practice times/lineups.

Even the defense 
laugh.gif
 like all I see them do is play super, overly aggressive D that ends with us getting burned like 2/3 of the time 
laugh.gif

And I have rarely seen Boehiem's zone click 100% in the 6 years they've been running it.

Individual 1 on 1 D tho is on point. Everybody brings it when they're matched up for the most part.

On offense, they're gonna need to figure out a new, groundbreaking zone buster 
laugh.gif
 cuz counting on the team to get hot from beyond the arc or banking on that overly aggressive D to create transition buckets ain't gonna cut it every time.... (although it has gotten us by thus far)

Even the defense 
laugh.gif

like all I see them do is play super, overly aggressive D that ends with us getting burned like 2/3 of the time 
laugh.gif

And I have rarely seen Boehiem's zone click 100% in the 6 years they've been running it.

Individual 1 on 1 D tho is on point. Everybody brings it when they're matched up for the most part.

On offense, they're gonna need to figure out a new, groundbreaking zone buster 
laugh.gif

cuz counting on the team to get hot from beyond the arc or banking on that overly aggressive D to create transition buckets ain't gonna cut it every time.... (although it has gotten us by thus far)

IMO, the super aggressive defense is the best way to defend. we have the best athletes in the world, there really isn't a reason not to play that style.
as far the zone offense go, again, play to your strengths. overload a side and throw lebron in the high post.

i don't see the point of complicating things when you have the best players in the world at your disposal.

with the timing of the NBA season ending and the lack of time to prepare, coach K has been great

Every time i pop into this thread i see something outrageous :lol: :smh:

Coach K overrated ?

IMO, the super aggressive defense is the best way to defend. we have the best athletes in the world, there really isn't a reason not to play that style.
as far the zone offense go, again, play to your strengths. overload a side and throw lebron in the high post.

i don't see the point of complicating things when you have the best players in the world at your disposal.

with the timing of the NBA season ending and the lack of time to prepare, coach K has been great
That's a good point, with having such a little time to prepare, it is best to play to their strengths.

But like I said, that D gets burned relatively easily by a competent opponent with a decent basketball IQ, it just takes one smart pass and solid ball movement to tear apart that press.

While I also agree with having Lebron in the high post, it really says something when our best offensive options are going ISO and transition baskets........ which actually reminds me of the Kings offense 
laugh.gif
 and that is certainly not a good thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Allen, you think Lewis and Bias stall out MJ/Pip in the 90's? Why?

I think it's very possible they catch them once or twice early on when you still had productive years from Bird, Parrish and McHale ('91 especially). Bias probably would have filled out to 6'8 230-235 and Pippen and Jordan never had to deal with that early on. Bias basically looked like the LeBron of the '80s in terms of size/strength/explosion (with a jumper too).

Last edited:
Allen, you think Lewis and Bias stall out MJ/Pip in the 90's? Why?

I think it's very possible they catch them once or twice early on when you still had productive years from Bird, Parrish and McHale ('91 especially). Bias probably would have filled out to 6'8 230-235 and Pippen and Jordan never had to deal with that early on. Bias basically looked like the LeBron of the '80s in terms of size/strength/explosion (with a jumper too).

impossible, there were no athletes in the 80s

David Aldridge reported of a deal that was practically done yet nixed at the final moment.

L.A. CLIPPERS: The Clips stood pat, but not by their basketball people's choice. L.A. and Washington had a done deal Wednesday night that would have sent forward Trevor Ariza to the Clippers in exchange for Caron Butler, giving L.A. a long, defensive-oriented body to throw at the likes of Kevin Durant in the playoffs. (Butler, who still has an offseason home in the D.C. area, and who was loved by the locals, didn't have a problem returning to a non-Arenas Wizards locker room. He'd have been welcomed back as a much-needed offensive option, according to sources.)
But sources indicated that Clippers owner Donald Sterling nixed the deal Thursday morning, not wanting to gamble on the team's chemistry being affected in any way down the stretch. My interpretation: we don't want to do anything that could, in any way, be held against us by assistant general manager Chris Paul this summer if we don't get far in the postseason.
Either way, the Clips probably are just as well. If Paul couldn't convince Kevin Garnett to come West, there wasn't another game-changing deal out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom