Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which were???? I am very curious.

It's a great read (Russell vs. Wilt), but if I can remember correctly, he said that Wilt's high scoring/rebounding was due to the ridiculous nature of shot-jacking during that period of time in the NBA. The average PPG in the league was around 120 (I think). Also, Wilt went out with the purpose of winning the assist title...passing up easy shots and berating his teammates when they would miss off of his dimes. He was a man driven by statistics and didn't care about winning. There was no doubt that he was a beast, but he put statistics and individual accolades over his team.

Obviously, what I wrote is extremely paraphrased and doesn't capture what Simmons wrote too well, but the that particular chapter of the book is an excellent read.

NBA rescinds tech given to Mamba last night which would have given him 14 total. Now he is back at 13, 3 away from an auto suspension.

nothing but trouble for the lakers. he will get those 3 quickly

he would have had 15 if that ref wasn't scared, who quickly rescinded the T that one game where kobe slammed the ball.

J's, he once made the argument that Jordan doesn't get 6 if Lewis and Bias don't die. Like it was a foregone conclusion they could stop the MJ Bulls
I don't blame him for this one, it's very reasonable to me at least.
One year he decided he wanted to lead the league in assists, he either did it or came very close I forget - but he went out his way to try. But Simmons did probably leave out the fact that Wilt's team had the best record in the league that year as well.

If you want to put a dent into Wilt's numbers - it's the fact that the guy never, ever came off the floor. Averaged 46 minutes a game for his career. That has to lend itself to some stat padding along the way.
It's a great read (Russell vs. Wilt), but if I can remember correctly, he said that Wilt's high scoring/rebounding was due to the ridiculous nature of shot-jacking during that period of time in the NBA. The average PPG in the league was around 120 (I think). Also, Wilt went out with the purpose of winning the assist title...passing up easy shots and berating his teammates when they would miss off of his dimes. He was a man driven by statistics and didn't care about winning. There was no doubt that he was a beast, but he put statistics and individual accolades over his team.

Obviously, what I wrote is extremely paraphrased and doesn't capture what Simmons wrote too well, but the that particular chapter of the book is an excellent read.
Thanks bros. I knew the guy cared about his stats more than other people and some of this stuff I've heard before, but that assist thing is new to me and  as appalling as that sounds, it sounds like just the tip of the iceberg. Looks lIke I have to find that chapter and/or read the entire book.

Last edited:
**** Bill SImmons and his nonsensical Bill Russel vs. Wilt argument.

The book and that particular chapter is basically a rewriting of the history of basketball centered around the Celtics. It's horse ****.

it's Celtics propaganda.

Last edited:
**** Bill SImmons and his nonsensical Bill Russel vs. Wilt argument.

The book and that particular chapter is basically a rewriting of the history of basketball centered around the Celtics. It's horse ****.

it's Celtics propaganda.

tell em why u mad son

If you want to put a dent into Wilt's numbers - it's the fact that the guy never, ever came off the floor. Averaged 46 minutes a game for his career. That has to lend itself to some stat padding along the way.

True.

Just imagine the blowouts he stayed out there for, scrub-checkin.
Unless playing that many minutes was a regular thing back then.

Last edited:
So the guy Decided to lead the L in assist & damn near did... His team had the best record in the L that year and he still put up his averages.......... what exactly is the problem?

I hate when guys start bringing intentions in when it doesn't effect the outcome. Ala kobe is a "Horrible" teammate and selfish......... He's also been in the finals 7 out of 17 years. I don't give a damn what someones intentions or motives our as long as their PLAY is helping the team.

If anything Wilt playing 46 Minutes and being a center with the ability to lead the L in assist should be celebrated, when did completely changing your game and being successful at it become a knock.

This'll never get old to me
nope 
laugh.gif

It's a great read (Russell vs. Wilt), but if I can remember correctly, he said that Wilt's high scoring/rebounding was due to the ridiculous nature of shot-jacking during that period of time in the NBA. The average PPG in the league was around 120 (I think).

I still don't buy Simmons logic right here. The same thing can be used to discredit Bill Russell's rebounding numbers and other Celtic greats numbers. You can used that to discredit Oscar's triple doubles but it wouldn't make any sense just like what Simmons said doesn't makes sense. That's how the game was played back then, that's how their era was. Simmons knows his **** but a lot of times dude is incomplete cuz he's so biased. He's a poor man's Skip.

Last edited:
Damn where did all this rockets hype come from :lol: they need an AllStar pg and a center to even be in that conversation
right..lakers have a former all star pg and the best center in the L...

You got any chips with any of those guys on that squad...

That squad was just assembled this year, so what are you really asking?

Are the Lakers even at .500 with their HOF roster?

MJ was on the Wizards, are you saying they should have been contenders?

Last edited:
On wilt.

1. Basketball's pace has been getting slower and slower as the game gets more complicated, pace effects Everyone's numbers, you don't think Magic's numbers aren't jacked up by pace? Or Jordan, would Isiah Thomas ever average 13 assists if he played in 2012? no.

2. The year wilt tried to lead the league in assists he was 31 years old, he scored 24 points a game, he scoring dropped off from that point in his career and only one time ever reached that clip again for the rest of his career.

Was Wilt trying to get assists sure, but was he doing anything more or less than nba superstars always do in terms of statistical accomplishments. If lebron in one of the last years of his career said hey I'm getting old, I can't quite score like I used to but my mind is sharp so im;m going to rely on that more, i'm going to try and lead the league in assists would we be mad at him? Isn't it perfectly reasonable.

Wilt was a douche, people idn't like him and he died at 50 so it's easy to speak ill now that Russel has had an extra 40 years to convince people he was better, but whats more reasonable a aging center at the end of his career, scoring less and passing more or some lunatic throwing passes even if he was right under the hoop? :lol:

3. Russel teammates were better and significantly better by any reasonable measurement.

Wilt is one o the GOAT's, don't let this revisionist history that Bill Simmons is pedaling **** ya up.

Last edited:
Derek Fisher is such a troll.

Every time he goes to a team he doesn't like he moans and complains and uses "family" reasons to leave, then go back to his place of choice. He's played Utah to go back to LA, now he played Dallas to go back to OKC.

This guy should not be part of the NBPA, Hunter went, so should he.

Bruh they had 6'9 white dudes who couldn't even dunk,.
Exactly.....lol name a single pf/c in todays game who cant get the rim...hell how many players in todays game cant dunk.... ill even through in college and top tier high schools. Ppl act like they played with lane violations, 3 seconds in the key. five seconds back to the basket.... etc. Hell todays streetball have more structure and rules then back then.

And wilt 100 point game was against a guy he was close to a full foot taller, who was slow couldnt touch the rim, had no lane rules what so ever. Trust and believe no rules limitations, and a prime shaq, being guarded by a guy a foot shorter and gives him 100lbs...Shaq could get 100 easily.

It's a great read (Russell vs. Wilt), but if I can remember correctly, he said that Wilt's high scoring/rebounding was due to the ridiculous nature of shot-jacking during that period of time in the NBA. The average PPG in the league was around 120 (I think).
I still don't buy Simmons logic right here. The same thing can be used to discredit Bill Russell's rebounding numbers and other Celtic greats numbers. You can used that to discredit Oscar's triple doubles but it wouldn't make any sense just like what Simmons said doesn't makes sense. That's how the game was played back then, that's how their era was. Simmons knows his **** but a lot of times dude is incomplete cuz he's so biased. He's a poor man's Skip.
Yeah the whole "It was a different Era" argument isnt one of my favorites. You're basically trying to wash away an entire era of basketball becuase you didnt like the way it was place. People could say the same thing about the shot clock era, 3 point era, todays NBA, etc etc. Its never ending.
Damn where did all this rockets hype come from
laugh.gif
they need an AllStar pg and a center to even be in that conversation

Are the Lakers even at .500 with their HOF roster?
Ignore him, that is literally his response to everything, I imagine if a Celtics fan ever came at him, he would use the "most recent argument" and then just go about acting like hes said something valid. Its really tantamount to trolling

I wish he were more aggressive, but that's nitpicking.
It seems like he is becoming more aware of it, particularly on a team that has no one besides Jefferson and Millsap to do so.

Player A: 28.8 PPG (64.4/42.9/79.6), 7.4 RPG, 7.2 APG in February
Player B: 29.1 PPG (53.9/50.8/84.7), 6.9 RPG, 6.8 APG in February

Player A: LeBron James
Player B: James Harden
:pimp:

All of those Player B doubters from last year really need to take a timeout.

That was like an epidemic wrongness of epic proportions.

Last edited:

Every time he goes to a team he doesn't like he moans and complains and uses "family" reasons to leave, then go back to his place of choice. He's played Utah to go back to LA, now he played Dallas to go back to OKC.

i never really liked him...he always in my eyes was a ron harper light. He always gave me this tow the line, corporate lil nose up the butt smuck. He just irks me. But he do bring a level of experience and guidance to a team.

^ One of the NTers on Twitter was laughing at anyone that thought Harden would average 20 a game. :lol:

I think him leaving Utah in 2007 was legit.

This time however...

[QUOTE name="FlyerThanDelta" url="/t/507195/official-nba-2012-2013-season-thread/35970#post_173254
Damn where did all this rockets hype come from :lol: they need an AllStar pg and a center to even be in that conversation

Are the Lakers even at .500 with their HOF roster?[/QUOTE]
Ignore him, that is literally his response to everything, I imagine if a Celtics fan ever came at him, he would use the "most recent argument" and then just go about acting like hes said something valid. Its really tantamount to trolling
[/quote]

For real :lol: :lol: that post was just waiting in the holster, yet it was irrelevant as hell and obvious

Wow, messed up quoting that badly.

Last edited:

his daughter was sick and her doc was in LA, thats why he asked utah to buy him out, he never said he was going to stop playing he said he wanted to be closer to his daughter in LA, thats why at the time you also heard he may sign with the clippers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom