Official NBA 2012-2013 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Derek Fisher has never averaged more than 4 assists per game. "Main Distributor" has never been his thing
derek fisher has never controlled the ball the majority of the time...no need to go into the point guards duties in the triangle...

but yea, he was never truly asked to strictly distribute..not to say that he could...just never been in a position to..

Yes.

If you think Durant is gonna go ringless his entire career, more power to you I guess. Just remember this convo when he's hoisting the Larry O'Brien someday.

What facts can you show to prove that you KNOW KD is going to win a ring in his career?

In fact, what facts can you show that haven't been shown in regards to past greats at the same point in their careers, (young, around 24 years of age) who ended up never winning one?

A given? In the same league The Miami Heat and San Antonio Spurs play in, a Given ? Oh Boy :lol:

We are talking about the same San Antonio spurs that have been dominant regular season for the past 5 years and not won a thing... The same Spurs who's 2 of their top 3 is old as dirt and after this season will regress even more?

Miami big three is far from unbeatable, and they too are growing old (Miller, Haslem, Battier, Allen, Wade's injury history makes him older than he is0

KD is 24 years old and unlike Lebron in Cle has another superstar that can help him out. The Thunder are one piece away from dominating the L.... & considering they are going to recieve a very high pick this year i'm not worried about them at all.

So is this the beginning of you guys turning Durant into the new LeBron on here?

I just want to know so I can start subconsciously skipping posts about him like I do now with LeBron.

Last edited:
Because he's just so great that it's only a matter of time before he wins one?

Yes.

If you think Durant is gonna go ringless his entire career, more power to you I guess. Just remember this convo when he's hoisting the Larry O'Brien someday.
Kinda wild for ppl to think that. It's not like he's going to stay on the Thunder the rest of his career.

We are talking about the same San Antonio spurs that have been dominant regular season for the past 5 years and not won a thing... The same Spurs who's 2 of their top 3 is old as dirt and after this season will regress even more?

Miami big three is far from unbeatable, and they too are growing old (Miller, Haslem, Battier, Allen, Wade's injury history makes him older than he is0

KD is 24 years old and unlike Lebron in Cle has another superstar that can help him out. The Thunder are one piece away from dominating the L.... & considering they are going to recieve a very high pick this year i'm not worried about them at all.

Even if everything you said was true, The Spurs are still very much contenders as they proved last night. They dragged the Thunder and didn't even have their best player. Miami will still be contenders for the next 3 to 4 years or so unless something drastic happens. The Spurs show no signs of slowing and down and neither is Miami. OKC struggle against both.

This means that it's far from a "Given." Do you know what a "Given" means :lol: ?

The Thunder are one piece away from dominating the L.... & considering they are going to recieve a very high pick this year i'm not worried about them at all.

They had it and gave it up. That pick this year is not netting a big time player. Lucky if he's a valuable rotation guy who can play WCF/Finals minutes within 2 seasons.

Sam Presti and that ownership should be under more scrutiny than they are. Bench sucks, Perkins sucks. Derek Fisher was actually brought into play. But they get to sell Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones and the 9th or 10th pick in an awful draft as significant assets. They've done a really poor job the past 6-9 months with a team that was on the brink of winning a title.

Not to say KD and Russ won't get it done. Just that the 'OKC plan' has stopped looking as foolproof as it once did.

Yes.

What facts can you show to prove that you KNOW KD is going to win a ring in his career?

In fact, what facts can you show that haven't been shown in regards to past greats at the same point in their careers, (young, around 24 years of age) who ended up never winning one?
What facts can you show to prove that you KNOW KD is "incapable of winning a championship?"

You started with conjecture, I responded with conjecture. When I end up being right, don't say I didn't warn you.

:lol: exactly first it was talking about having the it factor or "what it takes to win" and now it's facts

Can't have it both ways

Last edited:
They had it and gave it up. That pick this year is not netting a big time player. Lucky if he's a valuable rotation guy who can play WCF/Finals minutes within 2 seasons.

Sam Presti and that ownership should be under more scrutiny than they are. Bench sucks, Perkins sucks. Derek Fisher was actually brought into play. But they get to sell Jeremy Lamb, Perry Jones and the 9th or 10th pick in an awful draft as significant assets. They've done a really poor job the past 6-9 months with a team that was on the brink of winning a title.

Not to say KD and Russ won't get it done. Just that the 'OKC plan' has stopped looking as foolproof as it once did.

A tenth pick, Lamb and perk should be able to bring them something in return (Although i would much rather keep lamb) & trade martin

What facts can you show to prove that you KNOW KD is "incapable of winning a championship?"

You started with conjecture, I responded with conjecture. When I end up being right, don't say I didn't warn you.

Do you know how rare it is for someone to get to the finals their first time, LOSE, then COME BACK and WIN?

Statistically speaking, the odds aren't in his favor that he's going to win one. It's been proven time and time again. Ask reggie, GP, (That miami one doesn't count. He wasn't a main option) ask Karl, and Stockton, ask Ewing, Ask Barkely, ask AI, countless others.

When you get there and don't win, it's unlikely that you'll get there again, let alone win when you are there. The only guy in recent memory who has got to the finals, LOST then WON is Lebron James. KD is no Lebron James.

Don't forget that Kobe went to the finals without Shaq for his first time and lost to the Celtics, very badly.
Then came back and won the next 2 straight.

Durant is just as capable of the same if he keeps playing the way that he has, and if Westbrook stops being such an idiot. :smh:

(Although losing Harden is giving me a little skepticism recently for them...just a little)

Durant will get a ring, dude is too talented to not, Heat won't be dominating forever, Duncan/Ginobli will retire soon, son is only 24 years old and still improving overall as a player. He has the killer instinct on the court, just needs to let it out a little more and not demonstratively just tell Russy to chill sometimes. I love Russ, but damn he is Kobe heroball Jr. out there sometimes. Russ is a superstar in his own right, but really needs to look no further than the Miami Heat to see how he and the KD dynamic SHOULD be. Let KD be the best player and the game just comes easier to you (Russ/Wade). May take a few more growing pains and losing for both Russ and KD to realize that though.

I do however agree with Allen is that OKC really all but cemented their chance to not win a title this year by trading away Harden. Just too integral of a piece that stabilized that team even when Russ was erratic and they just gave him away for nothing of substantial worth. They probably won't even make it out of the West this season.

Dirk and Kobe both did just that as well shoeking as No. 1 options.

Last edited:
I don't think he meant distributor in a traditional J.Kidd role.... but more of someone who will control the offense, calm people down and get players the ball in the right positions. Sometimes with Westbrook playing the point he will not settle the offense down and go straight to attack mode.

Exactly. I knew somebody was gonna say something like "Fisher has never been that great" :lol:

They don't need somebody to get 8 or 9 assist a game, they need somebody that knows how to play PG so Westbrook can go back to his natural position and the offense would run a lot more smoothly.

:lol: exactly first it was talking about having the it factor or "what it takes to win" and now it's facts

Can't have it both ways
Don't forget that Kobe went to the finals without Shaq for his first time and lost to the Celtics, very badly.
Then came back and won the next 2 straight.

Durant is just as capable of the same if he keeps playing the way that he has, and if Westbrook stops being such an idiot. :smh:

(Although losing Harden is giving me a little skepticism recently for them...just a little)

Bruh, I disagree with that Durant sentiment. He's no Kobe. He's no Lebron. IMO. However, if someone were to believe that then I have no problem with that. He's a great player. He very well may win one.

But, to say it's a given is just flat out ignorant. Any basketball fan knows how rare it is to get back to the finals again, and even more rare to actually win once you get BACK there. That alone tells you it isn't a given.

The only guy in recent memory who has got to the finals, LOST then WON is Lebron James. KD is no Lebron James.
laugh.gif
 @ this logic

When you get there and don't win, it's unlikely that you'll get there again, let alone win when you are there.
Good point. Why wasn't there a Sloan paper about this? (sarcasm)

I really don't think there's anything to this theory, man.
The only guy in recent memory who has got to the finals, LOST then WON is Lebron James. KD is no Lebron James.
Dirk Nowitzki?

Last edited:

Do you know how rare it is for someone to get to the finals their first time, LOSE, then COME BACK and WIN?

Statistically speaking, the odds aren't in his favor that he's going to win one. It's been proven time and time again. Ask reggie, GP, (That miami one doesn't count. He wasn't a main option) ask Karl, and Stockton, ask Ewing, Ask Barkely, ask AI, countless others.

When you get there and don't win, it's unlikely that you'll get there again, let alone win when you are there. The only guy in recent memory who has got to the finals, LOST then WON is Lebron James. KD is no Lebron James.
you are basing everything on the past

different era, different competition, different coaches, different players

barkley, ewing, malone etc going back to the finals and not winning has nothing to do with this

shoeking, I'm interested to know after the 2011 Finals debacle what made you so confident that it was still a given that LBJ was going to win a title? Hindsight is 20/20 but I'd just like to hear your prespective. Bron lost in '07, came back in '11 with a better squad, laid and egg and then came back the very next season and won. What's keeping you from believing a transcendent talent like KD at 24 years old will NEVER win a ring as a no. 1 option? Dude isn't even reached his prime yet.

shoeking, I'm interested to know after the 2011 Finals debacle what made you so confident that it was still a given that LBJ was going to win a title? Hindsight is 20/20 but I'd just like to hear your prespective. Bron lost in '07, came back in '11 with a better squad, laid and egg and then came back the very next season and won. What's keeping you from believing a transcendent talent like KD at 24 years old will NEVER win a ring as a no. 1 option? Dude isn't even reached his prime yet.

I always felt that Lebron's style of play when it came down to it would win him one. Physically, he could get any shot he wanted. He always could. He could always get to the rim at will, had an underrated jumpshot, and was (and still is) very underrated in the clutch. (Especially in the playoffs) That told me that eventually he would get one simply because he was unstoppable to me. Then he went to Miami and I felt like that was it. I felt like he would flirt with rings every season in Mia and so far he has.

And with KD, as far as i'm concerned, he's no Lebron James. He's only 24, but he'll always be someone who when the game is in the balance will be a jumpshooter. That doesn't change. He's always going to be routed out of his position and having to take tough shots. His field goal percentage is something to be marveled at, but IMO his make-up is not of someone who's going to reel off championships. It comes too hard for KD against the elite of today's NBA and i'm sure stats don't support this, but that's just how I see it. Now he is young so I could be wrong, so we'll see.

Good point. Why wasn't there a Sloan paper about this?

Dirk Nowitzki?

You're right. Dirk counts. Forgot he lost in 06'. Fair enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom