• No. 24

Votes: 30 50.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
College sports shouldn’t be a business
Yet that's exactly what it is and will continue to be in the major sports

The athletes should stand to benefit from all of these profits, the athletes of the major sports bringing in the real money at least

Pay the teachers. **** the student athletes. No one's tryna see a bunch of 18 year olds driving beamers wearing 18k cubans to class practice. Most these kids dont even pay their own cell phone bill.
You sound hurt that you aren’t a D1 basketball player

You say it’s never changing but it needs to be changed.

I 100% agree. It should change. But the NCAA is on an almost 20 BILLION DOLLAR DEAL w/CBS and Turner for March Madness that runs through 2032.

That's just too much money being exchanged while the players not get a dime.

They're raking in dough man. At 20 BILLION DOLLARS, The NCAA it's honestly at a point of no return. I can't imagine this changing anytime soon, as far as the NCAA operating as a business.

Deandre Jordan. When he left early I was like WTF are you doing.

But he’s made over 100 million so clearly he made the right decision :nthat:
Nice example, although he was a 2nd round pick so the production sort of matched the draft position

Dude took quite the gamble lol, I'm only assuming at that point in his life he really needed income and he didn't care if it was in the NBA, G League or Europe

I 100% agree. It should change. But the NCAA is on an almost 20 BILLION DOLLAR DEAL w/CBS and Turner for March Madness that runs through 2032.

That's just too much money being exchanged while the players not get a dime.

They're raking in dough man. At 20 BILLION DOLLARS, The NCAA it's honestly at a point of no return. I can't imagine this changing anytime soon, as far as the NCAA operating as a business.

Well we are all talking about hypotheticals here, and while we are talking about what we want to see happen I want to see a huge cap on public college athletic spending like I said before.

But yes if that’s impossible take every penny going to these coaches and give it to the players absolutely.

But the whole situation is terrible for people at these schools who care about academics. Same as that librarian who donated 1m in life savings to his high school library and they used it to build a scoreboard for the football team.

You think public universities in America are cashing checks hand over fist? They aren’t. Academics trying to teach at the highest level have it harder than ever right now.

I don’t disagree with the intent but the cost of tuition along with rising student debt is ridiculous.

But this is about basketball so I’ll bow out of a public education discussion

I don’t disagree with the intent but the cost of tuition along with rising student debt is ridiculous.

But this is about basketball so I’ll bow out of a public education discussion

Yeah for sure but that’s a lot to do with budget cuts from republicans trying to destroy education in this country.

We dont pay bachelors/masters students that do research that can potentially change the world, we shouldn't pay college athletes.

If you're good enough to get paid, dont go to college.

On top of that, getting rid of the one and done rule was terrible. Clear as day they dont give af about the kid if they're forcing him to go to school for one year.

So why force kids that wanna play professionally to go to school in the first place then

We shouldn’t!!! We should have true minor leagues and the nba should have a developmental pipeline to assist kids in going to Europe and China.

does this only include players that left after their freshman year? If not then Russ. Even then I dont think he had crazy numbers his Soph year
Yeah just frosh, just because Jackson is a frosh

Theoretically Jackson should have a high floor, I see why others are bullish on him though

You are Totally missing the point. As if the NFL cares about safety :lol:

I think I get your point. I just think football is different from other sports.

And I'm not saying whether or not the NFL cares about safety. I'm saying it actually wouldn't work for that reason.

We dont pay bachelors/masters students that do research that can potentially change the world, we shouldn't pay college athletes.

Those students aren’t bringing money to the university. The professors aren’t getting bonuses for passing students. A finance student won’t lose his scholarship beneifitting off of his genius giving out stock tips or offering blockchain advice.

Athelets get penalized for being in the 1% of their field. Everyone else is applauded

On top of that, getting rid of the one and done rule was terrible. Clear as day they dont give af about the kid if they're forcing him to go to school for one year.
The college athletes directly generate actual cash though, like cold hard cash

The students doing research, if they invented some sort of medicine or created/aided in some entity that created direct profit then they should reap the benefits too

Them being penalized is partly on them. Like you said only the 1% make it. The other 99% think they're better than they really are only tryna live the hoop dream. Why not use the resources your school provides you (especially if you go to a top school like Duke, Stanford, etc) to actually do something relevant.

I wish there was some kind of statistic to see where most college athletes who dont play professionally end up.

Them being penalized is partly on them. Like you said only the 1% make it. The other 99% think they're better than they really are only tryna live the hoop dream. Why not use the resources your school provides you (especially if you go to a top school like Duke, Stamford, etc) to actually do something relevant.

Earning a full tuition makes you a 1%er though. What they do with the free education is on them. But if you’re at a power 5 school and your a football/basketball player, you’re worth more than your scholarship

You sound bitter saying “think they’re better” and “I don’t wanna seen them rocking Cubans”

Looks like Rondo heard about Ray Allen's upcoming book where he mentions Rondo's name

"Obviously that man is hurting," Rondo said of Allen. "I don't know if it's financially, I don't know if it's mentally. He wants to stay relevant. I am who I am. I don't try to be something I'm not. I can't say the same for him. He's looking for attention. I'm a better human being than that. I take accountability for my actions."

But Rondo also told the newspaper he would be open to talking to Allen and trying to mend fences. "I just want to talk to him man-to-man. I don't have a problem with the man," Rondo said.

"I'll be the fall guy, but damn, now you in the book talking about this and that. And for me as a teammate, I probably supported [Allen] more than anybody on the team, all [his stuff] that [he] had going on in Boston. I wasn't mad that he went to Miami."

2 things, either:

1.) Do away with one and done and allow kids to come straight into the league from high school BUT NBA and NCAA come together in an agreement to incentivize staying in college longer. The longer you stay in college, the bigger your rookie contract.

2.) NCAA adopts a general yearly stipend across the board for collegiate athletes. Something small enough to where college kids aren’t pushing Ferrari’s off of it. Something big enough to where no one feels mercy on them if they blow it all and cry broke.

You sound bitter saying “think they’re better” and “I don’t wanna seen them rocking Cubans”

Was only joking about the beamer/cuban part. Most if not all college athletes think we're better than what we actually are. Part of our competitive nature. These kids take free tuition for granted.

I just think the 99% are tryna reap the benefits of the 1%. That's America though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom