• No. 8

Votes: 29 49.2%
  • No. 24

Votes: 30 50.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah the GL is a perfect springboard to make real money overseas.

One of my close homies ski booker who played at CU, Killed it at CU, killed the GL was making standard G league salary though because he had no NBA experience. Got traded from Northern Arizona to Delaware, then said **** it and went overseas a couple of months ago and is now making 6 figures. Disparity is crazy

The Rockets seem to use their G-league affiliate like how baseball uses the minor leagues.

Every rookie they’ve had other than Chandler Parsons has spent time in the G-league.

The only thing that irks me is the amount of talent they’ve had in the team but didn’t sign and let someone else sign them.

You get paid more with NBA on your resume. That 10 day could be a game changer
There was this guy my dad coached who was paid i think 18k a month .He was playing really well better than this dude with NBA experience .Then he threw a fit when he found out guy was making twice than what he was making. Started going half *** on plays and in practice.
It was his first job after playing In the Pac 12 he didnt get it back then.Last i heard he was playing In the G league trying to get that NBA certification.

The Rockets seem to use their G-league affiliate like how baseball uses the minor leagues.

Every rookie they’ve had other than Chandler Parsons has spent time in the G-league.

The only thing that irks me is the amount of talent they’ve had in the team but didn’t sign and let someone else sign them.

That covington joint gotta sting a bit.

But the rockets are in the business of always staying competitive, so it makes sense that they would make all of their young guys spend time in the GL. Young guys / rookies can't help you, or in theory they can't.

Two Way GL contracts are a game changer though, especially if they raise the days of service from 40. Extra players that don't count against your cap is a true game changer. Clips almost made the playoffs because of this and the Lakers won 35 games in part because of this.

Two Way GL contracts are a game changer though, especially if they raise the days of service from 40. Extra players that don't count against your cap is a true game changer. Clips almost made the playoffs because of this and the Lakers won 35 games in part because of this.
Quin Cook got it out of the mud cause of two ways

Cut him so Francisco Garcia could play, god I hate Mchale :angry:

They had James Johnson and Whiteside on the vipers and didn’t sign them. :smh:

Sheesh, didn't even know that. Covington, Johnson, Whiiteside, I mean it all worked out but that's crazy the amount of talent that Rio Grand Valley and Houston had at their disposal.

I legit hope the Clips dont' suffer the same fate with Ty Wallace this summer smh

037A8DCF-6AD5-45D4-A539-D0C980765EC1.png

That's the thing, it's always been puzzling to me how g league MVPs, scoring leaders and what not can't even get call ups or if they do they really can't cut it in the big leagues. If anything it's kinda misleading to pretend like the league is a legit path to the NBA. Seems like a perfect bridge to overseas play tho

Doesn't surprise me at all. Lakers have this dude named Vander Blue whose been on their G-league and Summer League team for years, dude is a bucket getter. His issue is that he's a high usage, shoot first guard and the Lakers don't need that. NBA teams typically look to the G-league for players who fit into specific roles (rim running bigs, 3-and-D wings, etc)

Scoring alot of points in the league means less than showing that you fit well into a team, play good defense and know your role.

Doesn't surprise me at all. Lakers have this dude named Vander Blue whose been on their G-league and Summer League team for years, dude is a bucket getter. His issue is that he's a high usage, shoot first guard and the Lakers don't need that. NBA teams typically look to the G-league for players who fit into specific roles (rim running bigs, 3-and-D wings, etc)

Scoring alot of points in the league means less than showing that you fit well into a team, play good defense and know your role.

Vander been scamming himself for years

Vander been scamming himself for years

It reminds me of Jimmer Ferdette. People ask all the time, "why can't this dude make it in the NBA?"

It's because he's an undersized, high usage, high volume shooter who can't defend. He's good enough to play that high usage style against G-league and Chinese players but not against NBA players. He refused to adapt his game and now he's out of the league.

Look at JJ Redick, he was a high usage player in college who didn't player defense. In the NBA, he adapted his game, learned to defend and accepted his role as a role palyer and now he's the premier 3-and-D player in the league

It reminds me of Jimmer Ferdette. People ask all the time, "why can't this dude make it in the NBA?"

It's because he's an undersized, high usage, high volume shooter who can't defend. He's good enough to play that high usage style against G-league and Chinese players but not against NBA players. He refused to adapt his game and now he's out of the league.

Look at JJ Redick, he was a high usage player in college who didn't player defense. In the NBA, he adapted his game, learned to defend and accepted his role as a role palyer and now he's the premier 3-and-D player in the league

But Jimmer was smart enough to say “eff it” and go get paid overseas. I think Vander played in Russia for a minute but like you said, the league isn’t paying him to do what he does. I understand chasing a dream but he needs to take the Sonny Weems route

That's the thing, it's always been puzzling to me how g league MVPs, scoring leaders and what not can't even get call ups or if they do they really can't cut it in the big leagues. If anything it's kinda misleading to pretend like the league is a legit path to the NBA. Seems like a perfect bridge to overseas play tho

Is this really any different than college basketball?

There are guys that lead the nation in scoring, Wooden award winners, all-americans, that wash out or don't make it either. You're not really supposed to evaluate talent based on personal accolades. There are quite a few guys who get called up that aren't necessarily burning it up in the D-League but fit whatever role they get called up for.

Last edited:
But Jimmer was smart enough to say “eff it” and go get paid overseas. I think Vander played in Russia for a minute but like you said, the league isn’t paying him to do what he does. I understand chasing a dream but he needs to take the Sonny Weems route

True. Same for Andre Ingram. His story is amazing and everything but he could have been in Europe making 6 figures. People clown Jimmer but homie is a household name in China with a $1m/year salary a shoe deal and endorsements.

The going rate for a top D-1 prospect is $100,000. Once the G-League starts paying that, then we'll talk.

For now, being the big man on campus at Duke/UNC/Kentucy+money from bagmen >>>> G-league money

The going rate for a top D-1 prospect is $100,000. Once the G-League starts paying that, then we'll talk.

For now, being the big man on campus at Duke/UNC/Kentucy+money from bagmen >>>> G-league money

Actually...wouldn't that mean that Nike, Adidas, and UA can now endorse the same players over the table instead of under it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom