• No. 8

Votes: 29 49.2%
  • No. 24

Votes: 30 50.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
We don’t but you don’t think Stevens is a top tier coach?
I never said I knew how to judge NBA coaching either.

(Also I have consistently said Stevens is a good coach based on the evidence but feel free to misrepresent my argument if it makes you feel better).

Ya'll talk about rotations and plays like you have any idea what you are talking about. it's funny to make that 95% of the time someone's reason why X is a bad coach is "the play they ran at the end of the game didn't work." Like yo, we all know that's one of the only times you know to actually recognize the play that was drawn up or even know if it was a play or not.

Oh no I'm with you in that whether Casey stays or goes I'm not mad

I'm just saying it is an absolute fair statement to say Toronto should not have been swept

On top of that they got blown out twice

So if they win those 2 close games but still lose the series, is his job still in jeopardy? Cause if not he shouldn't be the fall guy.

Oh no I'm with you in that whether Casey stays or goes I'm not mad

I'm just saying it is an absolute fair statement to say Toronto should not have been swept

On top of that they got blown out twice
Yeah it's an embarrassment. Losing Game 1 on all the chances they had too. Missed wide open 3s by Ibaka, Van Vliet. Those tip ins...

The blunt reality is that if you don't have

a) Lebron James and/or
b) 2-3 top 10-15 players

You're not winning **** in the NBA. There may be anomalies throughout modern history (i.e - Pistons, Mavs) but it's a pretty safe bet to make that without multiple elite players...it's not going to happen.

So we can talk about "Blowing it up", changing coaches, tweaking role players, etc. but if Toronto wants to get past Lebron James...they need to figure out to add an Anthony Davis, James Harden, etc. to what they already have. Same goes for teams like Portland, Washington, etc.

And that's all there is to it. The fact that Casey and the raptors won 59 games this year w/o a top 20 player makes firing him all the more ridiculous, should they do so.

But again, like I said in here...fans and analysts alike have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to coaching. What exactly are you firing Casey for? What if his gameplay against CLE was great, but the players didn't execute it? Sweeps suck, but they've lost 3 straight years to what many believe is the 2nd greatest player of all time.

There's 30 head coaches in the league, and IMO if your name isn't brad Stevens or Q Synder, the difference they make is ancillary, and what we as fans can take away from their "coaching ability" is 100% results based, which is a TERRIBLE way to assess one's ability to coach.

And that's all there is to it. The fact that Casey and the raptors won 59 games this year w/o a top 20 player makes firing him all the more ridiculous, should they do so.

But again, like I said in here...fans and analysts alike have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to coaching. What exactly are you firing Casey for? What if his gameplay against CLE was great, but the players didn't execute it? Sweeps suck, but they've lost 3 straight years to what many believe is the 2nd greatest player of all time.

There's 30 head coaches in the league, and IMO if your name isn't brad Stevens or Q Synder, the difference they make is ancillary, and what we as fans can take away from their "coaching ability" is 100% results based, which is a TERRIBLE way to assess one's ability to coach.

So if the difference these coaches make is ancilliary then it shouldn’t matterif they fire him or not since it’s on the players, right?

And if his gameplan was great and his players didn’t execute or follow it, that’s even more reasonto getrid of him. That means the players are tuning him out especially in the moments where his voice matters the most.

So if the difference these coaches make is ancilliary then it shouldn’t matterif they fire him or not since it’s on the players, right?

And if his gameplan was great and his players didn’t execute or follow it, that’s even more reasonto getrid of him. That means the players are tuning him out especially in the moments where his voice matters the most.

No, that's not right at all because of how we judge coaches. If we judge coaches by wins, why then would you fire someone who's now winning 55+ games a year and losing to LBJ? For what? Do you think another coach would do better? If so, who? why?

If the players are tuning Casey out then sure, fire him but how do YOU know that that's the case? How does any fan or writer know that to be the case? You don't, unless you're in that locker room. Perhaps the gameplan was fine, and the players fell asleep on switching assignments, or didn't consistently hit someone on their screens, EYE don't know and that's my point. None of us do.

The overarching thing that I am suggesting is, is that if you feel Dwayne Casey should be fired, then what you're suggesting is that there's someone who could do better with that roster against LBJ and the cavs. You're also suggesting that as a coach, his gameplan against CLE was trash, which again, you don't know.

My point isn't necessarily that Casey is good, is that you have literally zero way of knowing if he is good or not. Zee-ro.

"but the shot at the end of the game didn't go in! file him in my "bad coach" pile!"

It sounds like no coach should ever be fired in the NBA. How can we prove that another coach would do better?

Nah, coaches should and do get fired. The people who hire / fire these people one would think has a far better inclination on if the coach is good or not.

What it sounds like is fans shouldn't be clamoring for a coach to be fired because they have no idea what they're talking about :lol:

We may not know whether or not the gameplan was bad or whether they tuned Casey out. But 3 things are fact. They did buy into a different style of play that yielded the best season in their franchise history. They did have chances to win 2 games vs the Cavs this series. The players did trick off those two potential wins with mistakes and just dumb play.

It sounds like no coach should ever be fired in the NBA. How can we prove that another coach would do better?
Well the people in the orgs have enough knowledge to make that decision.

We may not know whether or not the gameplan was bad or whether they tuned Casey out. But 3 things are fact. They did buy into a different style of play that yielded the best season in their franchise history. They did have chances to win 2 games vs the Cavs this series. The players did trick off those two potential wins with mistakes and just dumb play.
And yeah, from the outside perspective this is how I feel about Casey (my opinion is as worthless as anybody else's). I would add #4 we know that they don't have a top 10-15 player on the roster.

I mean Honestly Casey Maxed Out this team to it's regular season potential, helped develop nice young players & role players.... This team isn't getting any better unless one of those young guys take a serious leap. Teams ceiling is about where they at now, maybe better coaching gets them a extra win or two but this ain't a contender & they never were.

Doc actually had 2 top 15 players on his team though.

Health matters too. W/o it, you're not as good as you can be and even with bad health, they had their chances and it was the players blowing it or choking, not doc *shrugs*

So CP0 is a choker?

No. You can't be a choker if you've come through in the clutch before IMO. It's like saying he's a choker for game 6 against Houston, but ignore game 7 against San Antonio or Golden State.

It'd be like calling Kobe a choker because of his game 7 against Phx or Boston, right?

Sometimes players have bad moments in the "clutch," it literally happens to every great player, does it not? That doesn't mean you're a "choker" that's just dumb lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom