Votes: 29 49.2%
  • No. 24

Votes: 30 50.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Aubrey one of them?

Using "pro black" to pander to who exactly? Those same critics haven't had a problem condemning such artists before.

I have no idea what Drake has to do with this lol Not talking about Drake w/y'all.

And at the end of the day this **** is a business. Rap is the most popular genre in the world, the same world in which that "Pro Black America" talking point is at the highest it's ever been since the 60's. That aesthetic is extremely marketable and profitable at this moment, and it's working to Kendrick's advantage. His music for the most part doesn't even go with the aesthetic (DAMN. definitely doesn't) but that's the power that lies in building an image around it during this time.

That isn't to say that it isn't genuine I think it is, but it's extremely profitable right now and works to his advantage.

I have no idea what Drake has to do with this lol Not talking about Drake w/y'all.

And at the end of the day this **** is a business. Rap is the most popular genre in the world, the same world in which that "Pro Black America" talking point is at the highest it's ever been since the 60's. That aesthetic is extremely marketable and profitable at this moment, and it's working to Kendrick's advantage. His music for the most part doesn't even go with the aesthetic but that's the power that lies in building an image around it during this time.

That isn't to say that it isn't genuine I think it is, but it's extremely profitable right now and works to his advantage.

So he's doing out as a profiting mechanism instead of just observing and responding to the events of the time like countless other artists before him, NWA, Public Enemy, Nas, etc. have done. Rap since its creation has been a reflection of what's going on around us. Interesting perspective though.

And it'd give your perspective more credence of TPAB was his only critically acclaimed project, but it's not.

Man don't tell me anti is one of them dudes you catch in traffic slappin Port of Miami in a 99 Corolla :lol:

thats why i mostly listen to underground.its more real and dudes dont care about album sales and all that other ish. dont care what is popular or not.

I went thru a brief underground phase back in high school listening to dudes like afu ra and tech 9 and others I can't remember. I quickly realized why they're underground. They're trash. Trust they'd all go mainstream if they had the ability

There's rappers out here that are flat out better than Kendrick and don't use the "I'm pro black america" aesthetic to pander to an audience that is extremely hesitant to be critical about it.

I don't agree at all. From a purely technical standpoint, Kendrick is easily one of the best doing it right now. And his subject matter is pandering? But I'm just gonna let you stay in the sunken place on this one.

Last edited:
Man don't tell me anti is one of them dudes you catch in traffic slappin Port of Miami in a 99 Corolla :lol:

I went thru a brief underground phase back in high school listening to dudes like afu ra and tech 9 and others I can't remember. I quickly realized why they're underground. They're trash. Trust they'd all go mainstream if they had the ability
you listening to the wrong underground. sorry, like nearly every aspect of media ,popularity has no correlation to quality ......those sales and popularity arguments are trash if thats the only argument you have then nothing else to say. no need to argue with that type of mindset.

meh pimp and bun played the underground for a decade...bc pimp wasnt down for the pc shenanigans

So he's doing out as a profiting mechanism instead of just observing and responding to the events of the time like countless other artists before him, NWA, Public Enemy, Nas, etc. have done. Rap since its creation has been a reflection of what's going on around us. Interesting perspective though.

No I do not think he's using the image and aesthetic that he and his team have constructed for simply profit. Kendrick's life story suggest that it's a genuine extension of his life and the life of others in black america. However, when I listen to his music, I don't hear this overtly deep and woke guy that the image and aesthetic that they push suggest. I hear a really good rapper telling his life story sprinkled with some surface level takes about Black America

and when you combine those surface takes plus the image IN THIS CLIMATE? You have Kendrick Lamar, who's a critic's dream right now. Black America in chaos, here's a really really good rapper with the image that goes right along w/what's going on today $$$

You can't say Kendrick is "pandering" when dudes like Drake jump from wave to wave. Buddying up with every new hot rapper. His music is the definition of pandering, all the female singalongs.

You may be a drake fan on the low. You bring him up a ton man lol The fact that this is your opinion on Drake is why I let y'all have it with him lol

why can't I say Kendrick Panders? And what does that have to do with Drake?? Why you even bringing him up :lol:

Ehh maybe I worded that wrong. There's def a correlation between popularity and quality tho, not 100% but it's there. Someone like nas isn't a pop rapper but he's popular enough to not be considered underground. I wouldn't consider ugk really underground like that either as far as subject matter. Someone like Nipsey is technically underground too kinda

Ehh maybe I worded that wrong. There's def a correlation between popularity and quality tho, not 100% but it's there. Someone like nas isn't a pop rapper but he's popular enough to not be considered underground. I wouldn't consider ugk really underground like that either as far as subject matter. Someone like Nipsey is technically underground too kinda
you didnt word it wrong. your argument is just bad. no correlation. sales and popularity arguments are trash but if thats how you feel

nothing more to say.

What is "underground" in 2017? Everything's on Spotify and Soundcloud, playing field in regards to rap is much more level.

And it'd give your perspective more credence of TPAB was his only critically acclaimed project, but it's not.
Funny he's saying that with a Stevie Wonder avy. I guess Stevie just been faking speaking up for black people for $ all this time too.

Shout out to Stevie BTW for taking a knee at one of his shows recently. :pimp:

thats the ol tech 9...tech 9 got a 4 million dollar studio..he rich cuz he grinded hard for 2 decades

you didnt word it wrong. your argument is just bad. no correlation. sales and popularity arguments are trash but if thats how you feel

nothing more to say.

I'm not talking top 40 type popularity bro, don't be hard headed :lol:. If something is THAT good it's gonna catch on and at least be recognizable even if you don't know their music. What rappers are you even talking about? Bet I've at least heard of them

No I do not think he's using the image and aesthetic that he and his team have constructed for simply profit. Kendrick's life story suggest that it's a genuine extension of his life and the life of others in black america. However, when I listen to his music, I don't hear this overtly deep and woke guy that the image and aesthetic that they push suggest. I hear a really good rapper telling his life story sprinkled with some surface level takes about Black America

and when you combine those surface takes plus the image IN THIS CLIMATE? You have Kendrick Lamar, who's a critic's dream right now. Black America in chaos, here's a really really good rapper with the image that goes right along w/what's going on today $$$

How do you explain the critical acclaim that Section 80, GKMC, and DAMN received though? Neither of those projects were in the 'woke' or 'pro black' lane? I'm asking cause you said he makes critic bait rap. The different subject matter tends to suggest he just makes great music.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom