OFFICIAL NBA 2018 NBA Draft & Rookie Thread: NT SL Represent!

Who won Draft night?

• PHX - Deandre & Mikal

• LAL - Wagner & Not Drafting Galo Ball

• PHI - Z. Smith, Shamet & Unprotected MIA 2021

• BOS - Rob Williams

• DAL - Luka & Little Greek

• DEN - MPJ at 16

• SAS - Lonnie Walker

• Adrian Wojnarowski's Vocabulary

• NYK - Knox & Mitchell Robinson

Results are only viewable after voting.
I'm dead *** ready to drink the kool-aid and put him #1 on my board.

Unless I'm Dallas or Sac, I'm taking him over anyone else without thinking twice about it.

Young? Big gamble. Maybe that translates against elite athletes and length. Maybe not. I’m undecided right now.

I would generally hate for anybody to go to Sacramento, but I think Luka could be a really nice fit next to De'Aaron Fox.

The scouting reports on Luka and the film reminded me alot of a current player. Here is their old scouting report. Can anyone guess?

Long and crafty player who has a knack for scoring Has become a very consistent shooter and can light it up from deep He is able to make shots in a variety of ways: contested, off the dribble (both ways), stepbacks, fadeaways Put together an impressive season in one of the top European leagues and has shown that he can carry the load as the primary scorer Is very mature for his age, plays with great confidence and composure Has an awkward 2 step (he is able to alter his speed and change direction once he picks up his dribble) going to the basket, allowing him to get by people and finish around the basket Shows patience when making moves, getting his defender off balance with a variety of fakes and jabs Knows how to draw contact and sell the foul to the refs When a defender cuts off his angle to the basket, he has a very effective up & under that he utilizes even out to 15 feet Anticipates well and uses his length to disrupt the passing lanes Has developed a scorers mentality, but there are obvious glimpses where he shows a good feel for the game and ability to find open teammates

Very good athlete. PG skills in a 6-8 forward body, can play all the back-court spots. Has great fundamentals for his age, drives well and know how to create his own shot or pass the ball. Offensively he can do almost everything at the best level possible for a 16 year old. Great 3p shot, has shooting range of more than 24 feet and likes to show it off. Even if he seems a streak shooter sometimes, he is definitely a true shooter who doesn't miss twice if left open and is able to shoot even from the dribble. His ball-handling is very strong for a man of his height. He can drive to the basket from left and right with a good first step and often tryes finishing with a dunk in traffic. Plays decently in the low post. Above average rebounder for the role. Good ball-hawk thanks to his quick hands. Reads the defense well so he's able to receive a lot of fouls and go to the FT line many times per game. Plays with intensity and heart. Natural born talent with intriguing upside: at 6-8 probably hasn't finished growing (has long legs not proportioned to the rest of body).

alg-gallinari-practice-jpg.jpg

Gallo was a nice player before all the injuries, but he's also 6'10 so the comp is just a different there

Also I think everyone will agree that smarts is one of Lukas best attributes I don't think Gallo ever possessed that level of bbiq nor playmaking for others

How can you not like watching Ayton if you like basketball :lol:

low IQ, bad shot selection, ball bobbling, playing at arizona and being on late. :lol:

he's talented, don't love watching him enough to stay up and watch Arizona games and Sean Miller's trash offense.

This is an interesting topic

Basketball reference has him at 6'6
Wiki has him at 6'7
SI/USA today/old draftexpress has him at 6'8

I would trust draft express.

Think RJ going to cost someone their job. IMO his effectiveness will decrease as he gets to higher levels of competition. Def a man among teenagers though.

it's all going to depend on his jumper, he's not and insane athlete, so he's going need to be able to shoot pretty well to be a star.

If Bagley, Ayton, Bamba and Luka are gone for the Mavs I would not be mad at them taking Young

Carlisle loves undersized 2 guard lineups

Gallo was a nice player before all the injuries, but he's also 6'10 so the comp is just a different there

Also I think everyone will agree that smarts is one of Lukas best attributes I don't think Gallo ever possessed that level of bbiq nor playmaking for others

We can say this now because we know how Gallo turned out. IF he had reached his FULL potential...that level of BBIQ and playmaking for others would have materialized.

I'm posting that scouting report to point out the similarities of how their ceilings were viewed at the same stages. It's easily to fall in love with the ceiling while downplaying the floor.

I know what Doncic's potential is...but if he doesn't max out...I'm thinking of what kind of player will he be and I found the similarities in Gallo's on the prospect stage to be pretty interesting.

Other than scoring and playing well in a grown European league, I think that Galo/ Luka comparison is pretty far off from each other.

That report shows that Galo can be that go to scorer.
Luka has shows he can carry a team without being the primary scorer. IQ, playmaking skills, and just controlling the game in ways other than scoring is what makes his ceiling/ floor high.

And yes, Galo was nice before all those injuries. I really liked his game.

We can say this now because we know how Gallo turned out. IF he had reached his FULL potential...that level of BBIQ and playmaking for others would have materialized.

I'm posting that scouting report to point out the similarities of how their ceilings were viewed at the same stages. It's easily to fall in love with the ceiling while downplaying the floor.

I know what Doncic's potential is...but if he doesn't max out...I'm thinking of what kind of player will he be and I found the similarities in Gallo's on the prospect stage to be pretty interesting.
Oh i thought you were using the comp as a slight to luka

I think luka has a very high floor and Gallo did too

Also ayton just learning the game I think he has excellent instincts especially with his footwork offensively. Defensively he's showing life which is highly encouraging

It's just a matter of playing time and reps. Projecting his bbiq I think it's fair to say it's low now but Years down the line I believe this will improve quite a bit and at a rapid pace

Ayton is the best prospect in this draft and its not even close imo. Should be the undisputed #1 pick.

Really want BOS to draft Luka.

There are usually a **** ton of serviceable big men out there for relatively cheap. Dont see the need for the Celtics specifically to go after a young big who will most likely take some time to learn and also be in constant foul trouble.

IMO Luka is better than anything Jaylen will be, which is fine because a Rozier and Jaylen sub and ya'll not really missing a step. Bench would be solid af.

Kyrie-Luka-Hayward is just too good to pass up.

There are usually a **** ton of serviceable big men out there for relatively cheap. Dont see the need for the Celtics specifically to go after a young big who will most likely take some time to learn and also be in constant foul trouble.

IMO Luka is better than anything Jaylen will be, which is fine because a Rozier and Jaylen sub and ya'll not really missing a step. Bench would be solid af.

Kyrie-Luka-Hayward is just too good to pass up.
For a second I thought you were being facetious. My bad.

I would have no problem with the Celtics taking Luka. I think a big can be plugged and played as long as there is enough other talent in place.

I trust Danny

If he keeps the pick and takes bamba I'll know they know what's up

If he trades it which is kinda what I'm thinking I'm sure it'll be for an all NBA big

Watch him take someone like bagley and **** with us tho

Facts

I don’t think people truly understand how advanced his ball skills are. Like, shorty is for real for real.

One motion shooter too. He put the time in. Stupid GMs are going to make an obvious mistake passing on him due to “size and finishing ability” in favor for a bigger prospect :lol:.
They dont. Some are a little too enamored with measurements.

You cut the film on & you see a guy with ELITE guard skills at 19 years old. Period.

He's given you a 43 point game. He's given you a 22 assist game. Again, his bag is deeeeeeep at 19.

I mean cmon :lol: he's not a 5'4" guy putting up numbers in the Big Sky. He's not a 23 year old beating up on kids. What he's put on film is ridiculous.

As of right now, I’ve got Young, Bagley, and Doncic at the top of my board. In that order.

Re: Bagley

I don’t care to label him in an exact position either. If he can protect the rim and step out on the perimeter it lightens the fact that he’s not a deep threat on the other end. He seems like a smart kid who should be able to grasp more complex defensive concepts. One quality I can’t take away from dudes coming out of Duke recently, they all have tremendous work ethic. I think his floor is high enough to warrant him going top 3...much like I thought about Tatum.

Back
Top Bottom