OFFICIAL NBA 2018 NBA Draft & Rookie Thread: NT SL Represent!

Who won Draft night?

• PHX - Deandre & Mikal

• LAL - Wagner & Not Drafting Galo Ball

• PHI - Z. Smith, Shamet & Unprotected MIA 2021

• BOS - Rob Williams

• DAL - Luka & Little Greek

• DEN - MPJ at 16

• SAS - Lonnie Walker

• Adrian Wojnarowski's Vocabulary

• NYK - Knox & Mitchell Robinson

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is Bagley a rim protector? Right now it seems like the knock on Ayton and Bagley are that they struggle defensively

I've got Ayton, Porter, Luka, Bamba, Young, Bagley

For all the Young fans, whats the difference between his "advanced offensive game" and what Trey Burke was doing at Michigan? You could argue that Burke was the best player on a team with 4 other NBA players.

Burke was never a stone cold scorer like I feel trae has proven to be

I honestly thought trae would be a Burke like prospect, more of a quarterback who could score at times, a good college scorer/player

Plus Burke was not the shooter that young is, young is probably already a better shooter

Na not comparing, just playing devil's advocate. We see overrated/overhyped top prospects every year.

For all the Young fans, whats the difference between his "advanced offensive game" and what Trey Burke was doing at Michigan? You could argue that Burke was the best player on a team with 4 other NBA players.

Trey Burke was smaller, Older, with less range and less ball skills.

He was a maestro in the p&r....but he didn’t have the threat of shooting that opens Young’s game up....nor the scoring instincts.

Trae Young is an elite shooter and scorer with elite ball skills at 19. That’s VERY rare. We haven’t seen a more skilled PG prospect than Trae Young other than Cp3 when he came out his soph year. Ball skills and shooting ability are every thing you could want from a PG prospect today...and Young has it. His pull up ability really opens his game up....and he’s skilled at every level. The Steph comparisons are for real....not just “hype”. He may not reach being one of the best players ever....but his ceiling is really high with all he has in his arsenal. Worse guards, with less skills and better physical tools are taken every year in the top 10.

People have ran, and completely misunderstood the “hype” stuff :lol:. When you play well...people are going to notice. It comes with the territory man.

I can't see a 6"2 player with a wingspan shorter than ours being one of the best prospects ever. We have Kyrie whose pretty much elite at everything offensively and we have Isiah Thomas. He won't be anywhere near the scorers/shooters these two are. Forget about Curry, it's just a bad comparison all around.

A good majority of players with his type of measurements just don't pan out. Jimmer is another guy who comes to mind. Great college shooter/scorer, couldn't last in the NBA. You could argue age and all that, but he's not a freak athlete like that with some crazy physical tools that'll continue to grow. To Youngs credit though he's a good passer, but NBA length is a whole different animal man. He's a fun player to watch and I believe the kid CAN be good, but nowhere near as good as people make it seem.

Last edited:
I can't see a 6"2 player with a wingspan shorter than ours being one of the best prospects ever. We have Kyrie whose pretty much elite at everything offensively and we have Isiah Thomas. He won't be anywhere near the scorers/shooters these two are. Forget about Curry, it's just a bad comparison all around.

I believe the kid can be good, but nowhere as good as people make it seem. A good majority of players with his type of measurements don't pan out. Jimmer is another guy who comes to mind. Great college shooter/scorer, couldn't last in the NBA. You could argue age and all that, but he's not a freak athlete like that with some crazy physical tools. To Youngs credit though he's a good passer, but NBA length is a whole different animal man.

6’2 with a 6’4 wingspan. He’s not a ****** or something :lol:. He has about average size for a PG.

If you’re STILL thinking Trae Young is “Jimmer”....you really haven’t paid attention or watched Jimmer during his 4 years at BYU.

Outside of shooting....Jimmer and Trae Young have nothing in common. Young is a worlds better of a prospect for multiple reasons.

Hell, if Jimmer could handle or play make about 1/5 as good as Young....he’d be on a roster getting minutes.

Problem was Jimmer was a slow 6’2 shooting guard with little ball skills, little vision, little creativity and he was 23 by the time he got drafted.

Trae Young is a damn freshman in college. A damn teenager putting up 29 & 10 on 65TS in a major conference :lol:

You’ll see it someday man. It’s painfully obvious. But you’re hung up on “measurements”.

For the kids sake I hope so. Can shoot and a good passer? Sign me up. But he's still a ****** and finishing at the NBA level is a whole different story. Sure he can pull up from 30, but that won't work every night. I think he'll he a border line starter that'll need to be hidden on defense every night.

I'll agree to disagree though.

For the kids sake I hope so. Can shoot and a good passer? Sign me up. But he's still a ****** and finishing at the NBA level is a whole different story. Sure he can pull up from 30, but that won't work every night. I think he'll he a border line starter that'll need to be hidden on defense every night.

I'll agree to disagree though.

Won’t surprise me at all if he’s a better finisher with time than you think. He’s already ridiculously efficient on floaters etc. Shoots around the same % at the rim as Sexton. He may be one of those guys that leverages his pull up ability to finish better than you think at the rim in time. Is finishing at the rim a concern? Absolutely. But I think shorty will become more selective and use the space in the nba to become a decent finisher.

Russell Westbrook is a worse finisher at the rim and a worse defender then Steph Curry despite elite physical tools.

Give me elite touch, ball skills and wide open driving lanes and you get a good finisher at the rim regardless of size.

Now, Young might have some issues defensively....but it seems he could become possible on that end in time too. He’s got good instincts, quick hands and stronger than his frame suggests. His size will limit him in some matchups...but at the PG position....being a good team defender is much more important than being a lockdown one. We’ve seen it before....and half the elite point guards in the game aren’t or haven’t been good defenders and still had success :lol:. Russ, Harden, Lillard, Kyrie, IT2. Even Steph at one point.

Whew! Hype building for Young. He’s had a great start to his freshman season.

No idea how he projects at the next level. Will enjoy watching him this season til he flames out in he tourney.

Bro but these guys are literally the best offensive guards in the game though. If you think Trae will be at that level he should go #1 overall.

In a redraft down the line....it could very well be that case because some GMs with your line of thinking are obsessed with “length” and can not see why a teenager with Elite skills at his position and average size can be successful in the nba :lol:.

Point is...those guys all had their limitations and struggled defensively due to various issues. I listed those names to show how you can be effective at the PG position without being an “elite defender”.

The guy is a top 5-10 pick in a top heavy draft. He’s right on line as a prospect. I’d take him as high as #3. But that’s just me. He has elite PG potential.

Lastly, Kyrie is 6’3 with a 6’4 wingspan and had elite skills and touch. He’s doing ok. Tony Parker was one of the best finishers in the game period due to his elite touch. “Length” isn’t the end all he all when you can offset it with elite skills.

Trae Young’s shooting and ball skills will enable him to offfset that. Again, he’s THAT level of skilled as a PG prospect.

Kyrie went #1 after only playing a hand full of college games. You could tell from day 1 he was the clear cut #1 pick. He's arguably the best finisher in the game for a guard. Trae is nowhere near the type of finisher Kyrie is/was/ever will be. I've watched Trae vs. long athletic bigs, he literally cant finish around them.

You are LITERALLY making the comparison because they are "small" guards.

There isn't a shred of similarity between the two of them otherwise.

I think Trae is my number one prospect at this point...

Everything in thee league is geared for him to succeed at this point andI think he’s a 40 percent from three shooter. He is going to bend the defense and he’s a really good floor general who’ll make the right pass when defenses sell out to stop him.

He’s not Kyrie (no one is) but his finishing is solid to me and should get better. Also, the track record is there, was doing this at MoKan and now at Oklahoma. This isn’t a fluke, he’s the goods.

Also, in the modern NBA, don’t think his defensive issue matter too much or are even that bad. With a 6’4 wingspan he’ll be able to guard ball handlers and weak wings fine in a pinch.

Much prefer him to a guy like Ayton.

Back
Top Bottom