Originally Posted by Durden7

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

I dont see whats so special about Wall. 
ohwell.gif

Id rather have Favors or Turner.
So tell me what you do see Tyler.
pimp.gif
I see a decent to above-average point guard.  He doesnt have one great skill.  Theres isnt something that he does really well.  Hes not a great passer.  Hes not a great scorer.  Hes basically a horrible shooter.  He doesnt have exceptional ball handling skills.  He does a lot of things well, but nothing he does is great.

I can see why hes a top 3 pick, but hes not a franchise-changer.  If im New Jersey or Minnesota, (or maybe even Sacramento) I dont see why Wall would be the pick.

I think Turner is a better fit for most teams.
Can't really disagree with anything you have said. Just wondered if anyone else felt the same way.

With Rose, I saw that he had IT. I don't know if I really see THAT with Wall. Wall is a very good talent but, I don't know man. Just seems like something is missing. Maybe it is me and I am the one not getting it.

I don't think he's a sure fire franchise player, either. But I don't see any reason for him not to go #1 unless the Jazz got the pick.

Originally Posted by Im Not You

ohwell.gif

pimp.gif
I see a decent to above-average point guard.  He doesnt have one great skill.  Theres isnt something that he does really well.  Hes not a great passer.  Hes not a great scorer.  Hes basically a horrible shooter.  He doesnt have exceptional ball handling skills.  He does a lot of things well, but nothing he does is great.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 You sure you aren't describing Evan Turner instead?

exactly what I was thinking
roll.gif

Originally Posted by AIRJORDAN JB23

Jersey will try to move Devin if we get Wall...

But there is some curiosity if they can make it work together, so they won't let him go for nothing.

I think they should totally try and work together, if Harris stays healthy that could be a dangerous back court with Lopez, T-Will progressing, Courtney Lee and maybe a FA

ohwell.gif

pimp.gif

I can see why hes a top 3 pick, but hes not a franchise-changer.  If im New Jersey or Minnesota, (or maybe even Sacramento) I dont see why Wall would be the pick.

Can't really disagree with anything you have said. Just wondered if anyone else felt the same way.

With Rose, I saw that he had IT. I don't know if I really see THAT with Wall. Wall is a very good talent but, I don't know man. Just seems like something is missing. Maybe it is me and I am the one not getting it.
Aside from Rose elevating his game during the tourny (Memphis saw significantly tougher teams than UK did in their tourny BTW) and ..over the course of the ENTIRE season for each player...what on EARTH do you see that Rose had that Wall doesn't? I'd say they're about EVEN with Wall showing a better court vision IMO. Both were superb athletes lacking a consistent jump shot. 
There were alot of people saying Rose wasn't a can't miss prospect either last year.

Can't wait to see the young man shut alot of people up next year...

ohwell.gif

pimp.gif

Aside from Rose elevating his game during the tourny (Memphis saw significantly tougher teams than UK did in their tourny BTW) and ..over the course of the ENTIRE season for each player...what on EARTH do you see that Rose had that Wall doesn't? I'd say they're about EVEN with Wall showing a better court vision IMO. Both were superb athletes lacking a consistent jump shot. 
There were alot of people saying Rose wasn't a can't miss prospect either last year.

You really take criticism of Wall personally, huh?

Posted this in the other thread, I'll post it here since idk which one we're using full-time.
Not trying to get in another big argument here, but I don't see howanyone can say the Timberwolves screwed up that 2009 draft YET.

Sure,Flynn had an average rookie year, but he had absolutely ZERO weaponsaround him. Look at the Knicks, they selected Jordan Hill at #6 andtraded him at the deadline for cap relief. The Thunder selected JamesHarden and did he burn up the league like the Evans and Curry did (twoplayers selected after him)? No. Thabo Sefolosha started over him. Hehad far more weapons around him than Jonny Flynn did. You don't reallyever hear people saying the Thunder and Knicks messed up or mismanagedthose picks as often as you hear the Timberwolves did. And rightly sowith the Thunder, because it's early and Harden is still a youngplayer. So why doesn't that same rule apply with the Timberwolves?

Fromall recent reports it looks like Ricky Rubio is primed to come over toMinnesota in 2011 as well. They also got a nice player at #28 in WayneEllington. Some players that were drafted around Wayne Ellington... BJMullens, Christian Eyenga, Jeff Pendergraph, etc. Where are those guys?

And let me say this, the Timberwolves won 15 games for a reasonthis year. That reason is that there simply is not enough talent on theroster. Meaning, when you are this bad, you take the best playeravailable and worry about it later. The Timberwolves need talent, andJohn Wall is the best talent in this draft. If the they land the #1tonight (unlikely) I'd be surprised if they're not making a call tostart manufacturing John Wall jerseys right after finding out, becausehe absolutely would be the correct pick there. A team that wins 15games needs talent... you don't need to dink around and draft playersthat fill needs when you are this awful. Where is the need on a 15-winteam? Everywhere.

The Timberwolves haven't screwed up anything yet. I'm confused every time when I see people say that.

Wall needs to be in the right system. As of now the jury is still out on him playing in half court sets. He is working on that daily (coming off ball screens specifically) and his jumper is improving since he's been out here in LA. He has added weight and still has maintained his explosiveness. I think a lot of his success depends where he goes and what coach/system is in place.

ohwell.gif

pimp.gif

You really take criticism of Wall personally, huh?
Suck my !%*%

my ##*@# cant keep a screen name for over a year
laugh.gif

and what is it now JPZ, flynn sucks and will never be a starting NBA PG or he sucks because he doesnt have talent around him? because you have said both now

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

my ##*@# cant keep a screen name for over a year
laugh.gif

and what is it now JPZ, flynn sucks and will never be a starting NBA PG or he sucks because he doesnt have talent around him? because you have said both now

first he needs to lose that big #%# headband on his little #%# head

Never said he sucks and never said he can't ever be a starting NBA PG.

I said considering we have Rubio and considering the slim chance that we could land Wall, it's going to be hard for him to crack our starting lineup for the long term based on that competition at his position and the rookie year I just saw from him. It was a sub-par to average rookie year, but I also made it clear that I always give guys 3-4 years to develop. So it's not like we're closing the book on him.

We'll see how he progresses. His average year could be due to the lack of weapons around him, we really don't know yet. We'll see how he does next year because we're certainly going to add a lot more talent this summer. Or at least we're going to try to.

Stop seeing everything so black and white Bigmike
laugh.gif

ohwell.gif

pimp.gif

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 You sure you aren't describing Evan Turner instead?
this

speed, size, IQ, athleticism. The things you cant teach are in favor of Wall.

Originally Posted by JPZx

Posted this in the other thread, I'll post it here since idk which one we're using full-time.
Not trying to get in another big argument here, but I don't see howanyone can say the Timberwolves screwed up that 2009 draft YET.

Sure,Flynn had an average rookie year, but he had absolutely ZERO weaponsaround him. Look at the Knicks, they selected Jordan Hill at #6 andtraded him at the deadline for cap relief. The Thunder selected JamesHarden and did he burn up the league like the Evans and Curry did (twoplayers selected after him)? No. Thabo Sefolosha started over him. Hehad far more weapons around him than Jonny Flynn did. You don't reallyever hear people saying the Thunder and Knicks messed up or mismanagedthose picks as often as you hear the Timberwolves did. And rightly sowith the Thunder, because it's early and Harden is still a youngplayer. So why doesn't that same rule apply with the Timberwolves?

Fromall recent reports it looks like Ricky Rubio is primed to come over toMinnesota in 2011 as well. They also got a nice player at #28 in WayneEllington. Some players that were drafted around Wayne Ellington... BJMullens, Christian Eyenga, Jeff Pendergraph, etc. Where are those guys?

And let me say this, the Timberwolves won 15 games for a reasonthis year. That reason is that there simply is not enough talent on theroster. Meaning, when you are this bad, you take the best playeravailable and worry about it later. The Timberwolves need talent, andJohn Wall is the best talent in this draft. If the they land the #1tonight (unlikely) I'd be surprised if they're not making a call tostart manufacturing John Wall jerseys right after finding out, becausehe absolutely would be the correct pick there. A team that wins 15games needs talent... you don't need to dink around and draft playersthat fill needs when you are this awful. Where is the need on a 15-winteam? Everywhere.

The Timberwolves haven't screwed up anything yet. I'm confused every time when I see people say that.

The Knicks got criticized all the time for the Hill pick, especially when Jennings was playing well at the start of the season, and even when he "lead" the Bucks to the playoffs.

I didn't think their first two picks were right because 1. Rubio wasn't coming over immediately and 2. why draft another point guard right after?  Even if Rubio came over this season, did they plan on playing two PGs as starters? Why draft a backup PG at 6?

Wall is the best talent in the draft, but they would really draft and keep him?  Even with Rubio coming next year, even with Flynn?  I get your point that talent trumps need, but when you use 3 lotto picks in a row on point guards, you still keep all of them?  If they get the 1 and draft Wall, then I hope they plan on trading Rubio's rights for some scorers/shooters. 

Originally Posted by Al3xis

I don't think he's a sure fire franchise player, either. But I don't see any reason for him not to go #1 unless the Jazz got the pick.
I would add the Hornets as well.

Well, I expect this thread to be brought back to life once the season starts and people get proved wrong.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

I didn't think their first two picks were right because 1. Rubio wasn't coming over immediately and 2. why draft another point guard right after?  Even if Rubio came over this season, did they plan on playing two PGs as starters? Why draft a backup PG at 6?

Wall is the best talent in the draft, but they would really draft and keep him?  Even with Rubio coming next year, even with Flynn?  I get your point that talent trumps need, but when you use 3 lotto picks in a row on point guards, you still keep all of them?  If they get the 1 and draft Wall, then I hope they plan on trading Rubio's rights for some scorers/shooters. 
1. As for Rubio not coming over immediately, I would say to that, did we really need him to? With Rubio in 09-10, the Timberwolves were going to be a terrible team and sell very few tickets. Without Rubio in 09-10, the Timberwolves were a terrible team and sold very few tickets. So why force the kid's hands and make him come over here in his first NBA experience to play with zero weapons, when he's not comfortable completely, and when his buyout was an ongoing issue. Sure, it would have been great for us fans and just NBA fans in general to have him here playing in the NBA right away, but is a 20-year old Rubio (which we will be getting) that much different than an 18-year Rubio? Yes, in the sense that he'll be more polished, but no in the fact that it's not like we needed him right off the bat to win now, plus he'll still be the age of a lot of rookies when he does come over despite waiting a couple years.

2. As for drafting Flynn right after, he was the ultimate backup plan. If the whole Rubio thing went south, for example maybe him saying that he would never play in Minnesota, then we would could go ahead with Flynn as our PG. However, that didn't happen, and Rubio has voiced that he is eager to come over to play in Minnesota. I will say that if you wanted to criticize anything David Kahn (our GM) did last year, this would be it. He could have gone with Demar DeRozan at #6, but that's easy to criticize as well because would that have been a reach? Yeah. So anything the T'Wolves would have done there would have been criticized. Let me say this, if the Kahn had let Rubio slide by the Timberwolves fans would have burned the Target Center to the ground
laugh.gif
... Kahn couldn't open his first stint at being GM with the decision to pass on Rubio. He just couldn't.
laugh.gif

3. They would draft and keep Wall, and then I would assume they would trade Flynn and maybe Jefferson to find Wall's immediate backcourt mate. Then when Rubio comes over, we'll sort everything out then.

Also, we can trade y'all.
laugh.gif
... taking Wall means Flynn would be gone and we'd trade him to get a quality SG or C. So Minnesota would be filling needs, which most of you criticize the Wolves for not doing.

*I need to have some sort of character limit on my replies.
laugh.gif

The Knicks got criticized non stop throughout points in the seasonf or that Jennings pick. Especially when the LeBron talk took place of how things could/would be different if they took Jennings.

I think a lot of people have been down on Wall because there are a couple hyper-athletic one guards in the league already, (Westbrook, Rose) so he doesn't seem to be something new or epic because of there an abundance of such good, young pg's.

The boy will have a lot of people looking stupid next year though.

Dang, more Minny talk. Another interesting move was signing Sessions. The back-up back-up plan I guess. I honestly expected a lot better from dude, but he didn't do anything last year.

Go Kings!

JPZ, dont make me get into another argument with you again about this
laugh.gif

and, if Wall was to go to Minny, they would have ABSOLUTELY NO LEVERAGE at all leverage at all in trading rubio. i hope you remember yourself saying that.

Back
Top Bottom