**OFFICIAL NBA MOST VALUABLE PLAYER (MVP) THREAD**

CP3 gets my vote.

Kobe is a very very close second with KG almost bumping him for second. Lebron comes in 4th with duncan always in the top 5.

CP3 hopefully the hornets finish in the top of the west. I think he should get it becuase no1 in the leauge is producing the knid of stats he has. 20 points,10 asstis, 3 steals per game and he makes players around him better..CP3 FTW

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

^ Then I was definitely wrong on that; my fault.
happy.gif
me:
[Kobe] is the most recognized, emulated, respected figure on an elite team in an NBA. Chris Paul and Garnett are on elite teams, but when people talk about being 'THE BEST', WAY more people have Kobe in mind than garnett or Paul. MANY have LeBron in mind, but he's not an elite team.
EzFlash:
Is that your only reasoning for Kobe being MVP right now tho?

It's not even ONE of my reasons for feeling lie Kobe is the MVP; it's one way of explaining one of my criteria. It's an example to one of my points; it's... 'evidence'.

If we were talking about the greatest pllayers today, let's say I said 'Well Kobe has to be in the discussion, because dude can score like crazy!' You would understand that, right? I would just be saying that Kobe is an awesome scorer. Now, if I were to say 'Well Kobe has to be in the discussion, because dude can score like crazy! He has a freaking 81 point game!', would you ask "Wait, so are you saying that his 81 point game is one of the reasons you consider him among the best?"? Probably not, because you would (or... should) understand that I was only bringing up the 81 point game as an example to my point, and that my point was that he is a crazy scorer.

See what I mean? The comment about people at pickup games saying 'I make it rain like Kobe!!' is not one of my reason why I think Kobe is the MVP; it is simply an example of one of my points, and that point was that Kobe's a recognized, respected NBA figure that people want to emulate on the court.

I getcha now..
pimp.gif

nevermind me man, last time i used my brain was when i was inuni....need to pick up a book or sumn asap
smh.gif
laugh.gif
tired.gif

I want Kobe to win it soo much...but now it seems like CP3 is the NBA MVP, especially when every latter game of 82 is magnified, the Lakers have lost to theBobcats and Grizzlies.

he could easily win it just because he hasn't won one yet.
That would be horrible.

I see

1.CP3
2. LeBron
3. Kobe

without that player which team will fall off the hardest
The Cavs would be a surefire lottery team without #23

The Hornets have good pieces in West (All-Star), Chandler and Pedrag.

Boston without KG would still be good with Allen and Pierce, two All-Stars.

Bean has Gasol (former All-Star), and LO. While its not BOS caliber supporting cast, its better than Damon Jones and Ilguaskas.

The turnaround that Boston made from last year to this year will play a bigger role in the MVP vote than Laker and Hornet fans will like.

Please stop with the Lebron nonsense. How does he even deserve it? hes in the east and he barely got 40 wins. MVP i think not.

For me, all arguments about where the team would be without the player are null and void, because it's not an award for MVP of their TEAM; it's for theentire league.

For me, the question shouldn't be 'How much better is the player's team with him?' or 'How much is/was the team without him?' For me,the question should be 'How much better is the league with this player?'

Originally Posted by franchise3

^ THIS YEAR, Chris Paul has had a more positive effect on the league?

Obviously, they both have a positive effect; that's not the question.

The question is: "Who had a MORE positive impact on the league?"

I say Kobe. Him and LeBron are THE faces of the league, but like I said earlier, LeBron is out in my opinion, because of his team's record.
What has Kobe really done to have a more positive impact on the league, this year?

By being the face of the league? Kobe has been the face of the league for awhile now. When you think of the NBA, Kobe is always one of the first players thought of. I don't see anything he's done that's outpoured positivity to the league.

I guess Kobe has been positive in the aspect of after demanding a trade, he put his head down and just went to work, instead of being a distraction for the whole year. Besides that, Kobe seems like Kobe to me. Just like any other year. Business as usual.

I don't know about you, but most people had the Lakers as a 7/8 seed tops, with the majority missing saying they will miss the playoffs.
The Hornets were a young team and they almost made the playoffs last year, everyone knew they would improve.

I have a question though(just a general question for anyone to answer), what does Kobe have to do in order to win the MVP?

Anyway, I say a co-MVP with CP3 and Kobe winning
Again, it's a great story how the Lakers have arisen back to atop the West. It really is. But, Kobe is arguably the best player in the game today. (I think he is) Of course it's no fault to him, but when you see the Lakers at the top, as surprising as it is, you remind yourself that that team has Kobe, and it's like, 'Ok."

I just think it's even more impressive that the Hornets are there in contention, as, before this season started, you would get laughed at if you said CP3 was the best PG in the game. This season he's risen to prove that he is.

I was one of the few people who had New Orleans being a serious threat this year.
laugh.gif

No one knew what to expect with Kobe and the Lakers coming into this season, hell, we didn't even know if he'd be a Laker!!

As Ska said, there's dudes like Kobe and LeBron, then there's guys like CP3, Kidd, Nash, Shaq, KG, AI, Yao, Tracy, Gilbert. Kobe and LeBron are in a League of their own.

And given the Lakers success, if they finish a top 3 seed, Kobe's getting it.
laugh.gif

Great call.

Very true that nobody even knew if Kobe would still be around, and all the credit goes to Kobe for putting his head down and going to work.

It's just, I don't think the MVP should be based off 'star power'/face of the league type stuff. I don't think that's part of it to begin with, considering how Nash has won the MVP back to back years.

It should be based off indvidual stats/team success.

My opinion is, whoever finishes higher in the top 3 in the West should get it.

It's fair to say that CP3 is just as deserving as Kobe.

Just say no to the 'due' theory for Kobe.

you can say the same thing about West, Peja, Pargo, Chandler, and all those guys

I also think the injury factor gives Kobe the edge

If only the Lakers had been healthy all year
tired.gif

^ I was going to respond to you earlier, but forgot.

I don't see how back to back losses at home to the Grizzlies and Bobcats would automatically bump Kobe from your MVP thoughts. I'm sure you know thatthe award osn't for a month or before the All Star break or after All Star break; it's for the ENTIRE season.

So I don't see how 2 losses would trump the entire season's body of work.

I would guess that you didn't seriously have Kobe in your mind in the first place, but that's just a guess.

*edit* Actually, a response from you earlier is interesting.
WILLINC:
Paul is my MVP as long as they finish in the top 3, i dont care what Kobe and the lakers do
So if the Lakers finish with the top seed out West but the Hornets finish #2 or #3, Paul is your MVP?

So no matter what GOOD the Lakers do, Paul is your MVP?

But if they do something BAD, you're going to make sure to point it out, like he just lost the MVP trophy?

So when it's something good, you just say 'I don't care what the Lakers do,' but when it's something bad, you make sure to point it out.

thumbsup.gif

Originally Posted by WILLINC

nice to see you are very educated and can articulate an educated response

beautiful
laugh.gif

Its people like you who seem to be so educated. Taking 2 games out of an 82 game season and exploiting it. Then I looked at the teams in your sig, and itall became clear. I extend my sympathy to you, sir.
laugh.gif
It must be a pain to watch those teams play.

laugh.gif
to True Blue and SKA

Obviously im not only counting two games, smarten up people

Originally, i said whoever has thh best record out of Paul and Kobe should get the award. But as New Orleans kept winning and Paul continued to dominate gamesI changed my mind and came to the conclusion Paul should win the award, regardless of what the Lakers are doing.

Furthermore, back to back losses to sub par teams surely will not help Kobe in his cause for his coveted MVP trophy.

Anything else ?

Its people like you who seem to be so educated. Taking 2 games out of an 82 game season and exploiting it. Then I looked at the teams in your sig, and it all became clear. I extend my sympathy to you, sir. It must be a pain to watch those teams play.

yea as a knick fan you have a lot to gloat about,
laugh.gif
, Get out of here

Originally Posted by franchise3

Hence the reason I stated, that that one game (or two, of course) difference makes up for one guy carrying a team that has suffered many bad injuries while playing injured himself vs another guy who has had no real significant injuries on his team to worry about? Really?
Pretty much.

CP3 playing with less, West + Chandler + Peja + Nobody < Odom + Fisher + Farmar + Vlad + Sasha, and that's not including Bynum or Gasol

laugh.gif
Odom, Fisher, and Farmar are better than David West, Chandler, and Peja now? Just thought that was pretty hilarious.

My fault, then.

When someone points out how ludicrous it would be if the MVP winner were on a team that lost back-to-back to crappy teams, I take that to mean that he thinksit would be ludicrous if the MVP winner were on a team that lost back-to-back to crappy teams.

I'm weird like that.

Back
Top Bottom