**OFFICIAL NBA MOST VALUABLE PLAYER (MVP) THREAD**

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Head-to-head statistics:

[color= rgb(102, 0, 255)]Chris Paul[/color] versus Boston, Cleveland and Los Angeles: 20.8 points, 2.8 rebounds, 11.2 assists (1.8 turnovers), 3.3 steals, 0.2 blocks, 5-1 record

Kobe Bryant versus Boston, Cleveland and New Orleans: 26.6 points, 6.9 rebounds, 4.7 assists (2.6 turnovers), 0.6 steals, 0.7 blocks, 1-6 record

[color= rgb(102, 0, 0)]LeBron James[/color] versus Boston, Los Angeles and New Orleans: 30.1 points, 6.8 rebounds, 7.1 assists (3.8 turnovers), 1.8 steals, 0.9 blocks, 4-5 record

Kevin Garnett versus Cleveland, Los Angeles and New Orleans: 18.6 points, 10.5 rebounds, 4.3 assists (1.6 turnovers), 1.2 steals, 1.4 blocks, 5-3 record

Something to consider.

Good stuff, except for the fact that the MVP doesn't go to the player who beats Cleveland/Boston/New Orleans/Los Angeles, it's the MVP of theLEAGUE so why would you isolate those statistics? It's a team game, these guys weren't playing one on one.

Originally Posted by WstCoastGotti

1a Kobe CP3
1b CP3 Kobe
3 KG
4 Lebron
5 Amare (thats right, hes a beast and deserves some votes) Duncan
Fixed it for you.
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Good stuff, except for the fact that the MVP doesn't go to the player who beats Cleveland/Boston/New Orleans/Los Angeles, it's the MVP of the LEAGUE so why would you isolate those statistics? It's a team game, these guys weren't playing one on one.
I don't really recall saying any of that.

I don't get the "whoever gets the better record" argument either.

Ok, so Paul and the Hornets win the west by a game over the Lakers. So he's the MVP? Because he played on a team that was pretty healthy all season longand remained healthy himself while putting up great numbers. Orrrrrrr

Is it Kobe because he played on a team absolutley stupid with injuries to player 2A and player 2B, meanwhile he played half the season himself with a mangledfinger on his shooting hand, yet while putting up great numbers.

That one game would be more impressive to everyone?

What would the Lakers record be if they had Bynum for 75 games, and had Gasol for at least 90 percent of the games he could have played since the trade? Oh,and throw in Ariza also who has missed the same amount of time as Bynum.

So in a healthy world the Lakers would conceivably have a better record period, but if Paul finishes a game up, he's the MVP? Ok. Excuse # 796 to notgive Kobe the MVP the last couple years. Keep going ya'll we almost to 800.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CP1708

Ok, so Paul and the Hornets win the west by a game over the Lakers. So he's the MVP? Because he played on a team that was pretty healthy all season long and remained healthy himself while putting up great numbers. Orrrrrrr

Is it Kobe because he played on a team absolutley stupid with injuries to player 2A and player 2B, meanwhile he played half the season himself with a mangled finger on his shooting hand, yet while putting up great numbers.

What would the Lakers record be if they had Bynum for 75 games, and had Gasol for at least 90 percent of the games he could have played since the trade? Oh, and throw in Ariza also who has missed the same amount of time as Bynum.

So in a healthy world the Lakers would conceivably have a better record period, but if Paul finishes a game up, he's the MVP? Ok. Excuse # 796 to not give Kobe the MVP the last couple years. Keep going ya'll we almost to 800.
laugh.gif

The reason for the record thing is because it's SO CLOSE between CP3 and Kobe. They're both having GREAT individual seasons, while BOTH teams areright there atop the West.

You could make a strong case for either.

Such a strong case, that the idea of a Co-MVP award has been thrown around.

It really is, that close.

So, hence the record thing.

Originally Posted by franchise3

Originally Posted by CP1708

Ok, so Paul and the Hornets win the west by a game over the Lakers. So he's the MVP? Because he played on a team that was pretty healthy all season long and remained healthy himself while putting up great numbers. Orrrrrrr

Is it Kobe because he played on a team absolutley stupid with injuries to player 2A and player 2B, meanwhile he played half the season himself with a mangled finger on his shooting hand, yet while putting up great numbers.

What would the Lakers record be if they had Bynum for 75 games, and had Gasol for at least 90 percent of the games he could have played since the trade? Oh, and throw in Ariza also who has missed the same amount of time as Bynum.

So in a healthy world the Lakers would conceivably have a better record period, but if Paul finishes a game up, he's the MVP? Ok. Excuse # 796 to not give Kobe the MVP the last couple years. Keep going ya'll we almost to 800.
laugh.gif

The reason for the record thing is because it's SO CLOSE between CP3 and Kobe. They're both having GREAT individual seasons, while BOTH teams are right there atop the West.

You could make a strong case for either.

Such a strong case, that the idea of a Co-MVP award has been thrown around.

It really is, that close.

So, hence the record thing.

Hence the reason I stated, that that one game (or two, of course) difference makes up for one guy carrying a team that has suffered many bad injuries whileplaying injured himself vs another guy who has had no real significant injuries on his team to worry about? Really?

Good stuff, except for the fact that the MVP doesn't go to the player who beats Cleveland/Boston/New Orleans/Los Angeles, it's the MVP of the LEAGUE so why would you isolate those statistics? It's a team game, these guys weren't playing one on one.
I don't really recall saying any of that.

I just was wondering why you isolated those stats then? Are you just trying to show that Kobe doesn't have as good of numbers against the otherguys' teams? What exactly are those numbers saying, that's all I wanted clarification on.

Hence the reason I stated, that that one game (or two, of course) difference makes up for one guy carrying a team that has suffered many bad injuries while playing injured himself vs another guy who has had no real significant injuries on his team to worry about? Really?

Pretty much.

I mean, people can make all sorts of arguements.

Kobe playing injured/having to deal with injuries on his team.

CP3 playing with less, West + Chandler + Peja + Nobody < Odom + Fisher + Farmar + Vlad + Sasha, and that's not including Bynum or Gasol

Or Lebron having a better individual season than both Kobe and CP3.

Or KG having the best team record out of everybody.

But ohh wait, he has Ray + Pierce.

One could really make an arguement about anything and everything.

So, in my eyes, it breaks down to individual stats/team success

Individual stats - Lebron > CP3 + Kobe > KG

Team success - KG > CP3 + Kobe > Lebron

Individual stats + Team success - CP3 + Kobe > KG > Lebron

If that makes sense.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by franchise3

Hence the reason I stated, that that one game (or two, of course) difference makes up for one guy carrying a team that has suffered many bad injuries while playing injured himself vs another guy who has had no real significant injuries on his team to worry about? Really?
Pretty much.

I mean, people can make all sorts of arguements.

Kobe playing injured/having to deal with injuries on his team.

CP3 playing with less, West + Chandler + Peja + Nobody < Odom + Fisher + Farmar + Vlad + Sasha, and that's not including Bynum or Gasol

Or Lebron having a better individual season than both Kobe and CP3.

Or KG having the best team record out of everybody.

But ohh wait, he has Ray + Pierce.

One could really make an arguement about anything and everything.

So, in my eyes, it breaks down to individual stats/team success

Individual stats - Lebron > CP3 + Kobe > KG

Team success - KG > CP3 + Kobe > Lebron

Individual stats + Team success - CP3 + Kobe > KG > Lebron

If that makes sense.
laugh.gif

You just made my head hurt.
roll.gif

Head-to-head statistics:

[color= rgb(102, 0, 255)]Chris Paul[/color] versus Boston, Cleveland and Los Angeles: 20.8 points, 2.8 rebounds, 11.2 assists (1.8 turnovers), 3.3 steals, 0.2 blocks, 5-1 record

Kobe Bryant versus Boston, Cleveland and New Orleans: 26.6 points, 6.9 rebounds, 4.7 assists (2.6 turnovers), 0.6 steals, 0.7 blocks, 1-6 record

[color= rgb(102, 0, 0)]LeBron James[/color] versus Boston, Los Angeles and New Orleans: 30.1 points, 6.8 rebounds, 7.1 assists (3.8 turnovers), 1.8 steals, 0.9 blocks, 4-5 record

Kevin Garnett versus Cleveland, Los Angeles and New Orleans: 18.6 points, 10.5 rebounds, 4.3 assists (1.6 turnovers), 1.2 steals, 1.4 blocks, 5-3 record

Something to consider.

what you just posted means nothing.

I just was wondering why you isolated those stats then? Are you just trying to show that Kobe doesn't have as good of numbers against the other guys' teams? What exactly are those numbers saying, that's all I wanted clarification on.
comon man

not everyone here is trying to hate on Kobe
laugh.gif

I guess 'Something to consider' now means 'This is the only thing we should use to figure out who the MVP is' or 'This shows that Kobesucks.'

laugh.gif

I thought it meant 'something... to consider'.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Scottsauce88

alien.gif

You cannot be serious.
When was the last time anyone other than Kobe could score 35 points in a game on the Lakers?
Peja is STILL a top 5 3-point shooter in the League, David West is a freakin all-star, and Tyson Chandler is 3rd in the League with 12.2 boards a game.

Chandler + West + Peja = SOLID

Odom + Fisher + Farmar + Vlad + Sasha + whenever Bynum + Gasol play = More help collectively as a group

Yes, the Lakers don't have any real star power on their team.

But, the Hornets for half the season basically played with NO sort of bench. Look at their team. Even now, they're relying on a Bonzi Wells.

Odom comes out, you can put in a energy guy like Turiaf.

Fisher comes out, you can put in an improving Farmar.

Peja is a great 3 pt shooter, but him and CP3 are basically the only ones.

You put a Kobe who can break down a defense and surround the floor with Vlad, Fisher, Farmar, Sasha, and it's raining 3's.

Just my opinion.

While I obviously don't agree that the Hornets have no talent surrounding Paul, this is a bad argument:
When was the last time anyone other than Kobe could score 35 points in a game on the Lakers?
Peja is STILL a top 5 3-point shooter in the League, David West is a freakin all-star, and Tyson Chandler is 3rd in the League with 12.2 boards a game.
Pau Gasol can score 35 points. The Lakers may not have a three point threat, but Gasol and Bynum are All-Star caliber players. As far asrebounding, Bynum and Gasol are great, and the Lakers are a better rebounding team than the Hornets. Hell, the Lakers score more than the Hornets, shoot abetter percentage, distribute the ball more, block more shots, and steal more.

While I obviously don't agree that the Hornets have no talent surrounding Paul, this is a bad argument:
Pau Gasol can score 35 points. The Lakers may not have a three point threat, but Gasol and Bynum are All-Star caliber players. As far as rebounding, Bynum and Gasol are great, and the Lakers are a better rebounding team than the Hornets. Hell, the Lakers score more than the Hornets, shoot a better percentage, distribute the ball more, block more shots, and steal more.

Oh no doubt, Gasol and Bynum are great.
But Franchise said and I quote
With Bynum and Gasol, the Laker have the best supporting cast(if you want to call it that) in the NBA.

Edit:
franchise3 wrote:

Chandler + West + Peja = SOLID

Odom + Fisher + Farmar + Vlad + Sasha + whenever Bynum + Gasol play = More help collectively as a group

Yes, the Lakers don't have any real star power on their team.

But, the Hornets for half the season basically played with NO sort of bench. Look at their team. Even now, they're relying on a Bonzi Wells.

Odom comes out, you can put in a energy guy like Turiaf.

Fisher comes out, you can put in an improving Farmar.

Peja is a great 3 pt shooter, but him and CP3 are basically the only ones.

You put a Kobe who can break down a defense and surround the floor with Vlad, Fisher, Farmar, Sasha, and it's raining 3's.

Just my opinion.
OK I see where you're coming from.
I don't agree with what you said, but I see what you mean.

Originally Posted by BullsRepeat3Peat

I just was wondering why you isolated those stats then? Are you just trying to show that Kobe doesn't have as good of numbers against the other guys' teams? What exactly are those numbers saying, that's all I wanted clarification on.
comon man

not everyone here is trying to hate on Kobe
laugh.gif

How did I know you were gonna come in and say something about hating on Kobe
eyes.gif
Nowhere in my statement did I say that he was hating on Kobe, you always pounce on these things like a mouse on some cheese, it gets really old
grin.gif

all he said was "Something to consider"..... and he didn't even state his own opinion
laugh.gif

he just posted stats...

and you responded with "Are you just trying to show that Kobe doesn't have as good of numbers against the otherguys' teams?"..... which was confusing especially considering that Kobe does not have the worst stats of the four MVP candidates.... allI'm trying to say is that not everyone here has an agenda or is biased.. that's all

but I'm done with this thread anyways... so many flawed arguments in here
smh.gif

man dont be coming here saying kobes team was injured. injuries are a part of the game. you cant give someone the mvp trophy just for that reason. nobodyexpected new orleans to be a contender let alone be in the playoffs. what they have done is crazy and paul deserves it. if they finish with a better recordyou have to give it to the guy.

Originally Posted by outkast9984

man dont be coming here saying kobes team was injured. injuries are a part of the game. you cant give someone the mvp trophy just for that reason. nobody expected new orleans to be a contender let alone be in the playoffs. what they have done is crazy and paul deserves it. if they finish with a better record you have to give it to the guy.

Did you expect the Lakers to be a contender at the start of the season? The Lakers were only a couple games better then N.O last season. It's notlike they were a lock for the playoffs, hell, a lot of people had them missing the playoffs all together including Laker fans.

Back
Top Bottom