Official NBA Off-Season Thread. New 2012-2013 Thread Has Been Made. Please Post In There

Status
Not open for further replies.
How Nets could deal for Dwight Howard

When evaluating the Nets’ agreement to acquire Joe Johnson on Monday, I wrote that Brooklyn could still try to restart trade talks with the Magic for Dwight Howard even though the deal with Atlanta — combined with the presumed re-signings of Deron Williams and Gerald Wallace — would make it difficult for the Nets to offer Orlando as much easy salary-cap relief as a few other suitors. But the Johnson/Wallace/Williams deals, none of which can be official until July 11, would not prohibit the Nets from pitching a sign-and-trade package built around center Brook Lopez, power forward Kris Humphries, shooting guard MarShon Brooks and multiple first-round picks.

And sure enough, Brooklyn is pitching that exact offer, according to ESPN.com’s Chris Broussard. The Magic are considering it, but according to both Ken Berger of CBSSports.com and Yahoo! Sports’ Adrian Wojnarowski, the Magic are rightfully “meh

Dammit Billy King. He shoulda held on to that pick.

Even if he didn't covet anyone besides Davis, MKG, & Trob, whoever they drafted could've been an excellent asset for a Howard trade.

They could then give ORL two lottery picks in Brooks & the #6, and Lopez, a very good offensive player.

That's a better package than Brooks, Lopez, & a bunch of late first round picks

realistically, LeGoran shouldn't get more than 8.

but i'm sure his agent is pushing for 10 because, welp, mike conley makes 9

The key difference between Dwight and melo is that the Knicks had the cap space to sign melo. The nets don't have a max to offer, so dwight can't threaten to walk thee next season. I assume the magic are smart enough to see that. But the agents seem to run things in the nba.

Originally Posted by ill steelo

Even if he didn't covet anyone besides Davis, MKG, & Trob, whoever they drafted could've been an excellent asset for a Howard trade.

They could then give ORL two lottery picks in Brooks & the #6, and Lopez, a very good offensive player.

if the nets had drafted someone like drummond who has major upside it would been a major bargaining chip

What I don't get is...

Technically, isn't the agreement between Wallace and the Nets just that? An agreement. Contracts haven't been signed, why can't the Nets just back out?

Only reason why he's even gettin' 10 million a year is for them to save face for giving up a damn lottery pick.

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

What I don't get is...

Technically, isn't the agreement between Wallace and the Nets just that? An agreement. Contracts haven't been signed, why can't the Nets just back out?

Only reason why he's even gettin' 10 million a year is for them to save face for giving up a damn lottery pick.

Verbal agreement would lead to a lawsuit if they backed out and it wasn't mutual . The headache it would cause would be huge , and considering all agents are contractual lawyers. The team would probably lose and have to pay up

Nets will sign on july 11th  Teletovic to a three year deal with the Mid level exception. Guess Kidd is out for now.  There is your new starting PF most likely

Originally Posted by LESGodSonC0

What I don't get is...

What agent is gonna deal with their front office if they back out? You're right though, it's more paying to save face. Can't lose the pick and player.

Originally Posted by Shox23

Originally Posted by ill steelo

if the nets had drafted someone like drummond who has major upside it would been a major bargaining chip
Exactly, that's the first guy that came to mind. Very very stupid of King to move that pick for a much less valued role player that likely won't be used in trade discussions.

You would think he would've learned from seeing the KG & Melo trades. You acquire all the lottery picks you can & then move them for a star.

Touted as the Best Player in Europe. 6'9 swing forward. Shoots the three, high flying dunker. Want to say the size of Kleiza but wider and better game.

Can't really go by highlight reels in my opinion. ANYONE can look good in videos with different games edited into it. lol.

Originally Posted by aztec06jr

Originally Posted by presequel

CP3 isn't leaving the clippers to goto ATL with smith and dwight.

not happening.
laugh.gif

Just like LeBron and Bosh weren't going to MIA, right?
Other than people in Cleveland, who didn't think they'd end up in Miami? It was very obvious
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Who the hell is Crash?
Word
laugh.gif
 I want to know too. Today's the first time I've heard this ******ed nickname.
Ohhh....THAT'S who Crash is
laugh.gif
 Is that a nickname he actually goes by, or something NT gave him?

Originally Posted by thaSOLEful1

is Teletovic good? never heard of him
Stretch 4. Can bomb it from deep. Him and Williams would do damage in the pick & pop.

So he's a perfect offensive complement for Lopez or Howard.

Moves well for his size so if you play up on him, he can go by you & is a good finisher at the rim.

But like most perimeter oriented bigs, he's not that great on the boards so if he's paired with Lopez that would be a concern.

They're using the MLE to sign him, so unless Kidd really wants to play with D Will & takes the vet min, you can rule out that tandem

If Nets are worried about the boards. Give an offer to Camby for vet minimum.. Didn't have most RPG, but RP48 and Reb% he was 1st or 2nd

Originally Posted by Peep Game

Originally Posted by Animal Thug1539

Originally Posted by ScottHallWithAPick

Who the hell is Crash?
Word
laugh.gif
 I want to know too. Today's the first time I've heard this ******ed nickname.
Ohhh....THAT'S who Crash is
laugh.gif
 Is that a nickname he actually goes by, or something NT gave him?

NT gave him this nickname back when Crash was drafted by SAC and bumped into a buffet table sending a Peja Stojacovic ice sculpture crashing to the ground. Fact.

kingsflip.jpg

Also, a very important note on using the MLE, via Larry C's CBA FAQs:
Again, this exception is only available to teams that are below the "apron," i.e., below the point $4 million above the tax line. Teams above the apron instead must use the smaller Taxpayer Mid-Level exception (see below). Further, any team that uses its Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception cannot go above the apron for the remainder of that season. In other words, once a team uses its Non-Taxpayer Mid-Level exception, the apron effectively becomes a hard cap for the remainder of that season
The luxury tax line is 70 mil, making the "apron" 74 million

JJ - $19,752,645

Dwight - $19,536,360

Deron -$17,177,795

Wallace - $8,950,000

Teletovic - $5,000,000

Total -$70,416,800 

That only leaves $3,583,200to fill out the remaining 8 roster spots. If all 8 are rookies making $473,604that would cost $3,788,832.
Somebody will have to take less.
Originally Posted by Essential1

If Nets are worried about the boards. Give an offer to Camby for vet minimum.. Didn't have most RPG, but RP48 and Reb% he was 1st or 2nd
They'd have to beat out the NBA champs for him. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom