Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

Picked up a copy of the latest New Balance Book from Japan and came across the 995. I've never seen them before, it looks like a
hybrid of the 990/996. Fan of both models so really digging these shoes. Hope NB re-release them in the future. Posting a side-by-side with the 990.

Picked up a copy of the latest New Balance Book from Japan and came across the 995. I've never seen them before, it looks like a
hybrid of the 990/996. Fan of both models so really digging these shoes. Hope NB re-release them in the future. Posting a side-by-side with the 990.
Where'd you pick this up mate? I've seen other folks with copies, and I'd like one too! If only I spoke Japanese...

Where'd you pick this up mate? I've seen other folks with copies, and I'd like one too! If only I spoke Japanese...

I live in Japan so I picked it up from the local bookstore. I'd recommend trying Amazon.jp or rakuten and doing a search "new balance book". I think both sites have English checkout and they ship books/mags internationally.

Edit: Here's the Amazon link with English checkout info

Amazon product ASIN 4777935221

Last edited:
The people reshaping the toes on your pairs...props to you the shape is looking great. I dont think id ever do it if I run the risk of changing the color of the suede tho. A miscolored toe stands out way more that a little bulbous toe shape imo. 

Just in case anyone was wondering if there is a seller on eBay with the new balance 997 gy2 for 180 shipped. fsr

Sweet to see that GY2 looks good enough to justify buying/won't need a reshape. Probably will do so.

You guys like those new grey boxes?

Chosen Few today:

Basically tried to break it down. Hard to describe but pressing it down or trying to knead it out. Its not hard though.
so basically smashing it with your fingers
I live in Japan so I picked it up from the local bookstore. I'd recommend trying Amazon.jp or rakuten and doing a search "new balance book". I think both sites have English checkout and they ship books/mags internationally.

Edit: Here's the Amazon link with English checkout info

Amazon product ASIN 4777935221
can I order this in the US?

Last edited:
998 customs were spoken about by employees at the actual store that handles the 574/990/993 customs. they said this summer, which could still be a couple months away. exciting to hear it's possibly this week.
998 customs.  Oooh lord I hope this happens. 

No, smashing it with an iron as described previously. Fingers wont permanently change anything. 
Those actually two different methods... One massaging with your hand and one wetting the toebox and ironing them. They both work. Matter of preference/skill. You can also open the toebox and remove the hard plastic part and reattach the sole, if you're feeling frisky.

Guy JORTIZRX on IG will reshape your shoes for you if you don't want to try it yourself.

Those actually two different methods... One massaging with your hand and one wetting the toebox and ironing them. They both work. Matter of preference/skill. You can also open the toebox and remove the hard plastic part and reattach the sole, if you're feeling frisky.

Guy JORTIZRX on IG will reshape your shoes for you if you don't want to try it yourself.
In my experience, the massaging just kinda softens up the suede but it doesnt really change the shape of the shoe. Maybe I am doing it wrong but it seems pretty straight forward? I have seen good results from the ironing method that others have performed but am hesitant to wet suede after messing up a few pairs in the past.

In my experience, the massaging just kinda softens up the suede but it doesnt really change the shape of the shoe. Maybe I am doing it wrong but it seems pretty straight forward? I have seen good results from the ironing method that others have performed but am hesitant to wet suede after messing up a few pairs in the past.
Check out pinkyy90 on IG... All massaging, some truly wild shaped NBs (in a good way)

Been trying to figure out how to get my 577SN1 sharp without an iron but haven't put much time into it yet

I only have 4 pairs of New Balance so kind of new when it comes to models but I see you have 998 & 997 but then you have different 997gy2 & 997jnb. What are those differences? Thanks in advance

I only have 4 pairs of New Balance so kind of new when it comes to models but I see you have 998 & 997 but then you have different 997gy2 & 997jnb. What are those differences? Thanks in advance
The numbers refer to the model of the shoe and the letters refer to the colorway of the shoe. So the 997GY2 is the 997 model in a grey colorway, and I believe the 2 refers to the shoe being on it's second reissue. Check this out...

http://www.highsnobiety.com/2013/05/24/new-balance-numbering-system-explained/

Last edited:
they are the colorway and production run of the model number. They differ in shape sometimes from run to run so it is something to look out for. Hope this helps.

i will never touch another iron after ruining my purple suede sample am1.

It may sound redundant, but did you try using a suede eraser to bring the color back? Those things are a staple in my rehab box.

hmm, it's only $8 in JP :frown: damn you shipping

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom