Official New Balance Thread *sizing info for different models on first page*

Anyone know what Blue Stardust looks like in hand for the IDs?

Hi guys,

I'm a totally new New Balance fan (is it cool to say fan these days?) and I'm looking to get a pair of Made in UK 577s (of the English Tender pack variety). I've located the perfect style and a shop that has both UK 9 and UK 9.5 (US 9.5, US 10) in stock. Thing is, if I get the wrong size it's going to cost me at least £15 to get it back to them, and praying the box doesn't get damaged as they charge 40 bloody euros for it.

I have a 373 in size UK 9 and a 996 in UK 9, and they fit well. I don't, however, comply with the 'thumb width at the toe' rule. There is room, and I haven't encountered any problems wearing my existing shoes, but I do feel a bit like I'm taking a gamble here. Way back in 2013 this forum thread noted the 577s were a half size small. Thing is, everyone I ask says New Balances in general are a half size small, so I'm a bit confused because I've been wearing size 9 okay. 

To add to the confusion, I'm pretty sure I fit Converse in a 9. 
eyes.gif
 Which as well all know are a half size large...

Want more confusion? A second pair of 373s in a UK 9 almost felt too big - there was slippage at the back and definitely a thumb width at the toe box. NB are investigating that one for me for other reasons...

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask this, I'm just agonising over the decision haha.

Last edited:
tried the asphaltgold fitting room app? (its a store pretty near to me irl) but the app was always right on my conversions.

best bet would be to go to store and try on lol

Hi guys,

I'm a totally new New Balance fan (is it cool to say fan these days?) and I'm looking to get a pair of Made in UK 577s (of the English Tender pack variety). I've located the perfect style and a shop that has both UK 9 and UK 9.5 (US 9.5, US 10) in stock. Thing is, if I get the wrong size it's going to cost me at least £15 to get it back to them, and praying the box doesn't get damaged as they charge 40 bloody euros for it.

I have a 373 in size UK 9 and a 996 in UK 9, and they fit well. I don't, however, comply with the 'thumb width at the toe' rule. There is room, and I haven't encountered any problems wearing my existing shoes, but I do feel a bit like I'm taking a gamble here. Way back in 2013 this forum thread noted the 577s were a half size small. Thing is, everyone I ask says New Balances in general are a half size small, so I'm a bit confused because I've been wearing size 9 okay. 

eyes.gif

Want more confusion? A second pair of 373s in a UK 9 almost felt too big - there was slippage at the back and definitely a thumb width at the toe box. NB are investigating that one for me for other reasons...

Sorry if this is not the right place to ask this, I'm just agonising over the decision haha.
man...I remember the good old days when you could just walking into a show store and try shtuff on!! I love the ETP x 577 and I have at least 3 more 577 and they all fit TTS for me. I am a 8US in everything but PK Adidas and I can get away with 8.5 if that is all I can get. I like an average fit I wold say, not too big, not too lose, also depends on how you rock your kicks, are you an untied J type a guy or a all the way up to the last hole Asics runner type?

What do you wear in a shell toe or stan smith? I say go TTS and if they are too big get a cheapie insole or thick socks.

Everybody is different so it is hard to say....

Hi guys,

eyes.gif

Co-sign with @ninjaskills  I think you should be fine with going TTS. Recently a lot of guys have commented that the newer UK-made NBs fit true-to-size rather than go half down.

Hi. I discovered some of heat NB has (Previously it was a grandpas sneakers brand for me) and was wondering how should I size in 998s and 997.5... My TTS is US 11.

My favorites so far are the 998 City Never Sleeps and the 997.5 Cyclades

Hi. I discovered some of heat NB has (Previously it was a grandpas sneakers brand for me) and was wondering how should I size in 998s and 997.5... My TTS is US 11.

I always go .5 down from my true size.

My true size is 9.5 and I always go with size 9 for 998/997/997.5.

I own both CNS and Cyclades in a 9 and they fit perfect.

I stuck to TTS. I am a size 11.5 in almost everything. I have a long, narrow foot. Size 11 is short for me. So, whenever I have to choose between TTS and 0.5 size down, I opt for TTS. 

tried the asphaltgold fitting room app? (its a store pretty near to me irl) but the app was always right on my conversions.

best bet would be to go to store and try on lol
Agreed lol, though I can't hunt down any store in the UK that I can reasonably get to that has 577s to try on. This store is in Sweden which would be a bit of a trek lol.

I tried that app (had no idea about it so thank you!) interestingly it thinks the 373s are a half size small compared to some other references, whilst the 577 is TTS. Check this nerdy table I did:

Bit confused tbh (it also reckons Converse are TTS?)

man...I remember the good old days when you could just walking into a show store and try shtuff on!! I love the ETP x 577 and I have at least 3 more 577 and they all fit TTS for me. I am a 8US in everything but PK Adidas and I can get away with 8.5 if that is all I can get. I like an average fit I wold say, not too big, not too lose, also depends on how you rock your kicks, are you an untied J type a guy or a all the way up to the last hole Asics runner type?

What do you wear in a shell toe or stan smith? I say go TTS and if they are too big get a cheapie insole or thick socks.

Everybody is different so it is hard to say....
I need to learn some of this lingo 
nerd.gif
 I usually go up to the last hole (but I skip the second-to-last, else there's barely any lace left right?). I don't like loose fitting shoes if I can help it. I probably have narrow feet or something 'cause I have tighten the laces a fair bit on any shoe. I also hate insoles or heel cups... so I guess I'm learning towards the 9 / TTS. I don't own any shell toes / stan smiths lol so can't compare for you there.

I also just found another colourway of the ETP x 577 which is only in a UK 9 so the 9 is ever more tempting... but doubt my wallet can get both anyway lol

I always go .5 down from my true size.

My true size is 9.5 and I always go with size 9 for 998/997/997.5.

I own both CNS and Cyclades in a 9 and they fit perfect.
Cool thanks! 

Could you suggest for places to look for these models? I couldn't find them on Ebay in 10.5 US and on Klekt most people want at least 300 euros for the CNS, and the only 10.5 US Cyclades I found on Klekt are 370 euros which is in my opinion, definitely too much for non-hyped recently released sneakers...

Cool thanks! 

Could you suggest for places to look for these models? I couldn't find them on Ebay in 10.5 US and on Klekt most people want at least 300 euros for the CNS, and the only 10.5 US Cyclades I found on Klekt are 370 euros which is in my opinion, definitely too much for non-hyped recently released sneakers...
nah sorry not sure of any sites

just checked goat real quick but prices are similar

Cool thanks! 

Try Facebook groups. You might find them for slightly less in one of those groups. But unfortunately, the prices you mentioned are right around the going rate for those pairs. 

Try Facebook groups. You might find them for slightly less in one of those groups. But unfortunately, the prices you mentioned are right around the going rate for those pairs. 
Got any suggestions for huge international sneakerhead facebook groups? I don't live in the US or EU.

Cool thanks! 

you have to bare in mind that at least the cyclades weren't released in the EU, hence the comparably high prices at K'lekt (which mostly lists stuff from EU based sellers). The ~370 Euro was pretty much retail here in Germany after taxes and custom fees :frown:

Back
Top Bottom