***OFFICIAL NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS SEASON THREAD*** (13-4) - Patriots @ Broncos - Sun 3:05PM EST - Bra

GentleVillainousBoubou.gif

sick.gif
 ouch

run blocking aside, Solder's pass blocking has left quite a bit to be desired. the issue is, the drop off from him to Cannon is :x

we'll see how we adjust. that's gonna hurt down the road for sure

my one concern for this coming weekend is that Josh gets run happy because of past success running the rock. sure, give it a good shot. but if it's not there, don't keep forcing it. spread it out and let brady go to work.

defensively...just keep them under 24, please. i have a feeling Luck finally gets it cooking this week. big test for the DBs this week. need a MAJOR effort from the pass rush to force Luck into some bad throws.

Brown to IR frees up a spot for Fleming is what I was reading. definitely need the OL help.

LaFell and Stork are close to returning. couple weeks now.

the corner situation is scary. interested to see if they can keep the Colts receivers in check. far cry from Revis and Browner working those dudes last year.

So BB really struck out on each free agent CB brought in? Goddamn 
sick.gif
mean.gif
.  Yea I definitely see a trade coming up before the deadline,they have to...

I read earlier that the Pats have Brady, Solder, Edelman, and Lewis under contract next year for around 24M :x :x :x

Teams paying dudes like Rivers, Wilson, Tanne, Cam, etc 20+ M a year just to be an average offense at best.

Edit: Solder, not Gronk. Gronk is still a bargain , though .

Last edited:
that wasn't as "nice" a win as most expected but i had a feeling it would be tight. i think it's a solid win on the road for us. hung tough and put em away late. our DBs need to make some plays on the ball though...3-4 easy INTs dropped or missed.

that punt blunder the colts tried to pull doe :rofl:

Soooooooo you guys ready to go 5-1 or nah?

It will be a good game. Marshall Decker and Ivory will all get theirs. The game being at home, im still taking the Pats. Pretty major game as far as the division goes

Yep. If NYJ can pull the upset, theyre in first. If the Pats can pull it out, theyll be 6-0, two games ahead of yall . So yeah its a big game :lol:

I was already thinking about this game even before last nights game :lol:

Yep. If NYJ can pull the upset, theyre in first. If the Pats can pull it out, theyll be 6-0, two games ahead of yall . So yeah its a big game :lol:

I was already thinking about this game even before last nights game :lol:

I wanted to also :lol: but wanted to make sure they took care of biz against Washington. Because if they didn't, 3-2 against 5-0 would hurt.

It will be a good game. Marshall Decker and Ivory will all get theirs. The game being at home, im still taking the Pats. Pretty major game as far as the division goes

Technically for 1st no?

for sure. but you've gotten to play a bunch of the "easy games" on both our schedules so far. we've had our tougher games earlier on up until this point. we still have some bunnies with houston, tennessee, washington yet to come

should be a good game. always tough versus the jets. that defense looking legit. only better defense i've seen so far is denver.

Jojo should be back against the Jets,should add yet another dimension to the passing game 
pimp.gif
. We've missed that deep threat so far this season  

*Bullets have been dodged 
smokin.gif

@RapSheet: Some good #Patriots injury news: Ailments for LT Marcus Cannon (toe) and DE Jabaal Sheard (ankle) are considered minor.

Last edited:
Good tough win on the road. Offense played relatively well until the 4th quarter which left the door open for the Colts. Nice to see Amendola making some plays out there, he got a lot of targets. Jules had 2 big drops, 1 leading to a pick, but still played well. Speaking of the pick I thought it was ironic that Mike Adams off all people was the one to pick it off lol. Chandler had a few nice catches, I'm assuming we haven't seen much of him because of his blocking. Did we even play the Colts if Blount doesn't score at least twice? 
laugh.gif
smokin.gif

Considering the obviously thin CB depth I thought we played solid on defense. Logan and Malcolm both gave up plays and a TD each but they played well down the stretch. Malcolm got his hands on 2-3 balls that could've'/should've been picks. We ran the "big nickel" with 3 safeties a large portion of the game so didn't really see much of Coleman. Dmac didn't have his best day at all; got beat 4 or 5 times, missed a pick, had a PI and a block in the back on ST. Chandler and Nink got the majority of the snaps after Sheard went out but they were very active and didn't look gassed late. Easley seemed to be in the backfield a lot as well 
pimp.gif
. Freeny got the nod over Mayo but was bad in coverage early until he settled down, seems to be a recurring theme for him. 

WTF were they thinking with that play on 4th down they didn't even get the formation set up right 
roll.gif
mean.gif

Martin made the game day roster 2 weeks in a row over Dobson. I think we might have seen the last of him in a Pats uniform with Lafell's return on the horizon.

ON TO THE JETS 
devil.gif
devil.gif
devil.gif

Edit:
*Bullets have been dodged 
smokin.gif

@RapSheet: Some good #Patriots injury news: Ailments for LT Marcus Cannon (toe) and DE Jabaal Sheard (ankle) are considered minor.
smokin.gif

Last edited:
[h1]Always a Step Ahead[/h1]
It was Tom Brady’s ability to move, plus some adjustments from offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels, that topped yet another creative defense designed specially to stop the Patriots

tom-brady-colts-rematch.jpg

For the second straight week, the Patriots faced an unusual defensive scheme that was tailored for stopping their offense’s lethal quick-strike passing game. And, for the second straight week, the Patriots made adjustments within the game to dissect that unusual defensive scheme.

Last week it was a 3-2-6 dime package that the Cowboys ran with press-man coverage. Following an uneven start, New England went to their arsenal of pick routes and crossing patterns—staples of theirs and ideal designs for punishing man coverage—after halftime.

Stopping those picks and crossers were at the forefront of Indianapolis’s defensive plan Sunday night. On many snaps, the Colts had their front edge player (including top speed rusher Robert Mathis) drop into shallow coverage. The idea was to take away quick in-breaking patterns and crowd the flats. This pulled the teeth out of Indy’s pass rush, but New England’s quick-strike throws would have nullified the pass rush anyway. Head coach Chuck Pagano and defensive coordinator Greg Manusky cleverly composed a way to make use of pass rushers who were bound to be rendered obsolete. Conceptually, it was a fantastic approach.

The problem is that, with Tom Brady at the helm, even the great approaches can be made to look silly. With so much emphasis being placed on the Russell Wilson-type mobility these days, it remains bafflingly easy for football fans to forget that the best plays a quarterback can make with his feet are when he’s stepping and sliding within the pocket. The most effective offensive designs center around straight drop-back passing, because when you drop straight back you keep the entire width of the field at your disposal. (When a quarterback leaves the pocket, the side of the field away from him becomes increasingly less reachable.) The more field at your disposal, the more area and routes your opponent must defend.

It’s nearly impossible to defend a straight drop-back passer for a prolonged length of time. That’s what Indy’s defense was compelled to do. Some of this was a natural consequence of their coverage-first game plan. But most of it was a product of Brady’s uncanny ability to extend plays within the pocket. On several occasions—including Danny Amendola’s 24-yarder in the first half and Julian Edelman’s 12-yard touchdown shortly after it, plus tight end Scott Chandler’s 25-yard reception early in the second half, to name a few—Brady made the play by climbing up in the pocket.

Though he hasn’t had to very often, Brady this season has been sensational at extending plays like this. That’s been the case throughout his career, really. You could make a legitimate argument that Brady’s feet have done more for his eventual Hall of Fame candidacy than has his right arm.

Brady’s pocket performance Sunday night was extra impressive for two reasons. First, it came behind a makeshift offensive line. A group that was already playing rookies at guard (Shaquille Mason, and at times, Tre’ Jackson) and center (David Andrews) recently lost left tackle Nate Solder to a season-ending biceps injury. When Solder’s replacement, fifth-year veteran Marcus Cannon, left the game in the first quarter with a toe injury, the Patriots were forced to move right tackle Sebastian Vollmer to the blind side (an immensely difficult adjustment for any player), filling Vollmer’s spot with second-year man Cameron Fleming, a fringe roster guy.

Second, there was a seamlessness in the way the Patriots altered their system to exploit Indy’s shallow overloaded coverage approach. The Pats’ passing game became much more vertical, in part because of Brady’s ability to extend plays, but also because of offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels’ play calls. One area where this was particularly evident was on play-action. The Patriots are among the league’s best at what some call “bang” play-action, which is a quick drop back followed by an immediate throw over the linebacker, to a wide receiver a skinny post route. (Expect to see plenty of this when Brandon LaFell is healthy again.) Sunday night the “bang” play-action was replaced by deeper-dropping play-action, where the fake handoff was meant to fool not linebackers, but safeties. Brady attacked vertically, which, if nothing else, forced the defense to account for this potential on snaps later in the game.

We also saw instances during which the Patriots employed zone-beater route combinations at deeper levels—another somewhat uncommon tactic for them. The best illustration was Danny Amendola’s 35-yard catch in the first half, which came off a route that was intertwined with Gronkowski’s pattern and perfectly compromised Indy’s two-high safety coverage. There were also a few seam patterns for No. 2 tight end Scott Chandler, a 6-foot-7 free-agent pickup who used to make his living along the deep-intermediate seams in Buffalo.

We think of vertical passing attacks as those featuring speedy receivers. But Chandler isn’t a speedster. Neither is Amendola. Or, to some extent, Keshawn Martin, who caught a 39-yardger against an Indy coverage mistake. Edelman is more quick than fast, and Rob Gronkowski is more powerful than speedy. (Though granted, Gronk moves very well for his size.) The Patriots’ passing attack is built to play underneath, but Sunday night at Indy, when forced to adjust, Brady proved his targets can also hurt you downfield. Just add this to the growing list of reasons why New England’s offense is the most dangerous in football.
http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2015/10/19/tom-brady-new-england-patriots-colts-rematch-nfl-week-6

Slater info?

the report during the game about other teammates coming over to offer words of encouragement after he hobbled off the field doesnt sound good

Back
Top Bottom