OFFICIAL NEW YORK KNICKS OFFSEASON THREAD: TRAINING CAMP

yea berman and steph are in love or something...but i agree the summer is long and there is still a lot to be done...im not completely convinced that walsh isset on buying out marbury...but i do believe that marbury needs to show up in these workouts and at camp...i think for the first time in his life he isactually competing for his spot on a team

Marbury>>>>>>>>>>Duhon. You guys are acting like Duhon is the truth. My man wouldn't be in the league if he wasn't fromDuke. Marbury is going to show a lot of people this year that he can still play.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/ian_thomsen/07/07/nba0707/index.html

Knicks' new leadership has a plan

The Knicks hope their top pick in the draft embodies their future: Forward Danilo Gallinari hasn't stopped growing (he's 6-foot-9 and counting), hehas the versatility required for new coach Mike D'Antoni's open-court offense, and he embraces the challenges of playing for the NBA's mostdifficult audience -- even after being booed by fans at Madison Square Garden when commissioner David Stern announced him as the sixth overall selection.

"Milan is similar to New York, because as soon as you do something that's not good, [fans] boo you," says Gallinari, the 19-year-old star ofthe Italian club Armani Jeans Milano. "It's a tough place to play, but it's nice."

Gallinari may use different adjectives to describe New York once he has experienced a few rough nights with the Knicks, who haven't had a winning seasonsince 2000-01. Many observers assumed that D'Antoni would lean toward picking the Italian because he played with Gallinari's father, Vittorio, on Milanin the 1980s. In fact D'Antoni had fallen out of touch with Vittorio and had never seen Danilo play a game in person. If anything, he was likely to avoidbeing associated with this pick unless he was convinced of Gallinari's potential.

"Whether or not Mike liked him personally had nothing to do with the decision," says Knicks president of basketball operations Donnie Walsh, whoseselection of Gallinari was his first major roster move since taking over in April. "Mike probably looked at him [on film] longer to make sure he was goodenough, because he understood more than anybody that [the Italy] connection would make it appear Mike favored him."

As the only international player taken in the lottery, Gallinari was its biggest mystery. But a year or two in the weight room should help him prove why hewas chosen to launch the Walsh-D'Antoni era: Team doctors expect him to top out at 6-11, and he has an aggressive nature that rebuts the Europeanstereotype. Older teammates deferred to Gallinari because he was unafraid to drive inside, whether in the Italian league (where he led Milan with 17.5 pointsper game last season) or the more competitive Euroleague (14.9).

"Our scouts were very high on him and I watched a lot of film on him," says Walsh. "I was already thinking this guy could have the fullpackage because he has size, great ball handling skills, and he goes to the goal as the go-to guy on his team -- and then [in his workouts for the Knicks] Ifind he can really shoot."

Picking Gallinari might turn out to be one of the easier decisions for Walsh, who must find a way to unload several big contracts to create cap room for the2010 free-agent class of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh. (James is rumored to prefer the New York market, and the Nets unofficially entered theLeBron sweepstakes on draft day by moving Richard Jefferson and his large contract to Milwaukee for Yi Jianlian and Bobby Simmons.) But don't look for awholesale makeover this summer, because the Knicks see potential in Wilson Chandler, Jared Jeffries, Nate Robinson and even Eddy Curry and Zach Randolph toadapt to D'Antoni's prolific offense, which should increase their trade value.

How quickly can Gallinari help turn the boos into cheers? "We know we can't do this overnight," says Walsh. "I have to make gooddecisions all the way through, and I hope I made the right decision in this case."

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

Marbury>>>>>>>>>>Duhon. You guys are acting like Duhon is the truth. My man wouldn't be in the league if he wasn't from Duke. Marbury is going to show a lot of people this year that he can still play.

Being from Duke has nothing to do with Duhon. He's in the league because he's a solid defender and is capable of running an offense. Something thatcould never been said about Marbury.

I Have a strong feeling with d'antoni being coach the knick franchise will be filled with international players and few all american players

Obvioulsy Marbury>>>Duhon that is why i saiod we should just let Steph play out his last year cause he is better than anyone we can get for the MLEand if you dont think so than you bugging, and than get our PG of the future next year when we dont have Steph. Buyt we got Duhon and hes gonna start and weknow hes not better than Steph but he can play D and he is unselfish which works with all of the non defending scorers we have on our team. So yeah i loveSteph and hes obviously better than Duhon but hes a gonner.

And about Danilo im not trying to flip-flop and i still dont like the pick and i would have rather gotten someone to become more defensive orientated but jhesa Knick and that is who we got so of course i will root for him and hopes he succeeds. He seems like a real coll dude personality wise and those nick nameswill flourish in NYC if he is the truth and he s a good man for choosing Denzel
pimp.gif
. And im not doubting him scoring wise either. Son seems like a true talentscoring wise i heard Stephen A say that he saw him traion with the Knicks and he said son doesnt miss, like he said hes never seen a shooter that good comeinto the L since like dirk. And it also seems like he likes having the ball in the clutch which is a huge plus as well. Once again i still wish we would havegone with defense, bnut i will root for the Rooster...

and alos anybody got Summ er League roster/schedule still searching for it.

Can we give marbury a chance w/ D'antoni. The whole team was a cancer when he who shall not be named was around.

if the clippers can't get okafor...how realistic do you think it would be for them to trade for zbo?

Originally Posted by Woodside718

VEGAS NBA LEAGUE GAMES SCHEDULE

July 11
4:00 PM ET Philadelphia vs. Golden State COX Pavilion
6:00 PM ET New Orleans vs. Memphis COX Pavilion
8:00 PM ET LA Lakers vs. Detroit* COX Pavilion
10:00 PM ET Dallas vs. LA Clippers* COX Pavilion

July 12
4:00 PM ET Toronto vs. Sacramento COX Pavilion
6:00 PM ET Charlotte vs. LA Clippers COX Pavilion
8:00 PM ET Philadelphia vs. Denver COX Pavilion
10:00 PM ET Memphis vs. Milwaukee COX Pavilion

July 13
4:00 PM ET Charlotte vs. New Orleans COX Pavilion
6:00 PM ET Dallas vs. Golden State* COX Pavilion
8:00 PM ET Memphis vs. LA Lakers* COX Pavilion
10:00 PM ET Detroit vs. LA Clippers COX Pavilion

July 14
4:00 PM ET New York vs. Cleveland* COX Pavilion
6:00 PM ET Toronto vs. Denver COX Pavilion
8:00 PM ET Washington vs. Portland* COX Pavilion
8:30 PM ET Phoenix vs. Houston Thomas & Mack Center
10:00 PM ET Dallas vs. Minnesota* COX Pavilion
10:30 PM ET San Antonio vs. Memphis Thomas & Mack Center

July 15
6:00 PM ET Detroit vs. Milwaukee COX Pavilion
8:00 PM ET Philadelphia vs. LA Lakers* COX Pavilion
8:30 PM ET San Antonio vs. New Orleans Thomas & Mack Center
10:00 PM ET Sacramento vs. Portland* COX Pavilion
10:30 PM ET Charlotte vs. Golden State Thomas & Mack Center

July 16
4:00 PM ET San Antonio vs. New York* COX Pavilion
6:00 PM ET Sacramento vs. Dallas* COX Pavilion
8:00 PM ET Philadelphia vs. Washington* COX Pavilion
8:30 PM ET Minnesota vs. LA Lakers Thomas & Mack Center
10:00 PM ET Memphis vs. LA Clippers COX Pavilion
10:30 PM ET Cleveland vs. Houston Thomas & Mack Center

July 17
4:00 PM ET Dallas vs. Detroit* COX Pavilion
6:00 PM ET New Orleans vs. LA Clippers COX Pavilion
8:00 PM ET Toronto vs. Philadelphia COX Pavilion
8:30 PM ET San Antonio vs. Phoenix Thomas & Mack Center
10:00 PM ET Portland vs. Minnesota* COX Pavilion
10:30 PM ET Denver vs. Milwaukee Thomas & Mack Center

July 18
4:00 PM ET Phoenix vs. New York* COX Pavilion
6:00 PM ET Charlotte vs. Detroit COX Pavilion
8:00 PM ET Cleveland vs. Washington* COX Pavilion
8:30 PM ET LA Lakers vs. Toronto Thomas & Mack Center
10:00 PM ET Sacramento vs. Golden State* COX Pavilion
10:30 PM ET Houston vs. Denver Thomas & Mack Center

July 19
4:00 PM ET New York vs. Charlotte* COX Pavilion
6:00 PM ET Golden State vs. Toronto COX Pavilion
6:30 PM ET LA Lakers vs. Denver Thomas & Mack Center
8:00 PM ET Washington vs. Houston* COX Pavilion
8:30 PM ET Minnesota vs. Milwaukee Thomas & Mack Center
10:00 PM ET Portland vs. Phoenix* COX Pavilion
10:30 PM ET New Orleans vs. Cleveland Thomas & Mack Center

July 20
4:00 PM ET Minnesota vs. New York* COX Pavilion
6:00 PM ET Phoenix vs. Washington COX Pavilion
6:30 PM ET Milwaukee vs. Cleveland Thomas & Mack Center
8:00 PM ET Portland vs. New Orleans* COX Pavilion
8:30 PM ET Sacramento vs. Houston Thomas & Mack Center

all these games will be broadcasted by MSG so we will be able to catch some knick basketball
pimp.gif

our summer league roster
*No./Name/Pos./Height/Weight

32 Renaldo Balkman F 6-8 208
21 Wilson Chandler F 6-8 230
25 Mardy Collins G 6-6 220
8 Danilo Gallinari F 6-9 225
18 Dan Grunfeld G/F 6-5 198
7 Antonio Graves G 6-2 190
6 Marcus Hall G 6-2 175
36 Delonte Holland F 6-7 220
30 Brandon Hunter F 6-7 266
1 Antione Johnson G 6-1 185
40 Paul Miller F/C 6-10 250
2 Anthony Roberson G 6-2 188
4 Nate Robinson G 5-9 180
5 Von Wafer G 6-4 195
55 Zhang Songtao C 6-11 212

Originally Posted by worldbeefreeg

Can we give marbury a chance w/ D'antoni. The whole team was a cancer when he who shall not be named was around.

Marbury was run out of town by D'antoni in Phoenix. What makes you think thigns would be different now 4 years later after Marbury has proven numeroustimes that he is incapable of growing up and being coachable.

im not sure that marbury was run out of town....didnt he only play a handful of games under d'antoni in phoenix...the suns had been a pretty crappy teamand were due to make some drastic changes

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

im not sure that marbury was run out of town....didnt he only play a handful of games under d'antoni in phoenix...the suns had been a pretty crappy team and were due to make some drastic changes

Meh the only major changes they made were bring in Nash and Q Rich. And Nash was brought in with the cap relief from getting rid of Marbury and Penny.

Originally Posted by Jimmy Page

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

im not sure that marbury was run out of town....didnt he only play a handful of games under d'antoni in phoenix...the suns had been a pretty crappy team and were due to make some drastic changes

Meh the only major changes they made were bring in Nash and Q Rich. And Nash was brought in with the cap relief from getting rid of Marbury and Penny.

im not saying that phoenix didnt do the right thing and that we should keep steph...i just think that the plan to move him was already in place befored'antoni took over in the middle of the season

Marbury>>>>>>>>>>Duhon. You guys are acting like Duhon is the truth. My man wouldn't be in the league if he wasn't from Duke. Marbury is going to show a lot of people this year that he can still play.

Who's "acting" that way?

Duhon was brought in here to do a PG's job...you know, run an offense properly, handle the ball, and play some defense.....something none of our PG'shave been able to do for the past 6-7 years.

He's a solid basketball player, I have no problem with the signing.

Now release Marbs, a lot of contending teams would gladly pick him up because he has A LOT left. He will flourish as the 2nd-3rd go to guy.

The question isn't if Marbury can play, the question is if he will play.

He hasn't shown the poise or motivation to reach his potential on the court.

Back
Top Bottom