OFFICIAL NFL Discussion Thread: 2015-16 Season - Congrats to the Denver Broncos and their fans! SB 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Is this the appropriate place for cliches about football being too soft now when it used to be for real men and how the game has been ruined and it's now flag football, or no?
It always felt like what you described gets arbitrarily applied on here.

Depending on who is playing and if you like them or not.

My belief is the league could always do more for player safety, but won't for various reasons. It's all about keeping those in charge fat & happy first...then everyone else comes after.

18 game season right around the corner though. 
smokin.gif

Last edited:
I hope more blacks start playing baseball because of this. You make so much more money and dont have to worry about being a vegetable when you get older.

Look how much money Stanton is making and how much Harper and Trout about to make :smokin

I blame Bonds for the decline :smh:

Brock aint going anywhere.

If its up to Goodell, Peyton wins Superbowl 50 as the all time loved QB to grace the milestone superbowl and then go off into the sunset...

I hope more blacks start playing baseball because of this. You make so much more money and dont have to worry about being a vegetable when you get older.

Look how much money Stanton is making and how much Harper and Trout about to make :smokin

Not entirely true

Bonds why? In the urban communities baseball is looked at as boring. Everyone wants to be a basketball or football player because those are the "cool" sports for young black men to play. MLB has a image issue and perception issue. You get drafted you don't go straight to The Show like in those other sports and that's another issue. MLB needs to appeal more to young black kids. Promote the stars better. The length of games don't help either.

I didn't need a league to tell me getting hit in the head repeatedly can cause health risk..

1e4d483f_350x700px-LL-64ea977d_GN62vfI.gif

Bonds why? In the urban communities baseball is looked at as boring. Everyone wants to be a basketball or football player because those are the "cool" sports for young black men to play. MLB has a image issue and perception issue. You get drafted you don't go straight to The Show like in those other sports and that's another issue. MLB needs to appeal more to young black kids. Promote the stars better. The length of games don't help either.

View media item 1875954

Football is longer/about the same than baseball

With the amount of actual gameplay, football should be done in 20 minutes. Not 3 hrs :lol:

Last edited:
162 games I am good

And because of that length, the star players don't play every game so there are a lot of fillers throughout the season.

[quote name="The Collector"][quote name="100027"]"They knew what they were getting into"

One of my favorites because it's so untrue but said with such confidence.
[/quote]Untrue how? What person doesn't realize having your head bashed repeatedly can have health effects. I knew this as a child. Your basically saying these men who have attended college in some form don't have common sense.

money > health

That's the choice they made.[/quote]Potentially fatal health effects and irreversible nerve damage are not what they are told is on the table.

They are told "Blah, blah, the NFL is working hard to ensure garble, garble, garble."

And they buy it, because they are 19, and millions of dollars with only a risk of maybe a broken bone somewhere along the way, maybe not even that... sounds AMAZING.

Last edited:
they could straight up say "there are some long term health risks involved with playing in the NFL which include memory loss, nerve damage, etc" and I bet 9/10 still look at finishing a degree and working that 9-5 for $35k a year and will take the NFL money

that's my opinion on the matter

Collector has a point. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or a nuclear physicist to see that you can obviously get very hurt from smashing your head against the ground or against another persons head countless times. People should know that before they sign up.
Take into account the money these dudes make. A lot of them make more money in one year than he average American makes in their lifetime. They know the risk, trust me.

Collector has a point. It doesn't take a rocket scientist or a nuclear physicist to see that you can obviously get very hurt from smashing your head against the ground or against another persons head countless times. People should know that before they sign up.
Take into account the money these dudes make. A lot of them make more money in one year than he average American makes in their lifetime. They know the risk, trust me.

It seems the NFL is still figuring out the risks, how do players know besides the most basic terms and effects?

Last edited:
But no one sees the Randle Els and the Junior Seaus on TV. You see MIchael Irvin and Jerry Rice and Antonio Brown and Dab Newton. You COULD get concussed but that mutli million dollar check is sitting in front of you and not only does it have GUARANTEES there's a clause in there in case of injury.  All you have to do is do the same thing you've been doing for free since Pop Warner. 

Potentially fatal health effects abs irreversible nerve damage are not what they are told is on the table.

They are told "Blah, blah, the NFL is working hard to ensure garble, garble, garble."

And they buy it, because they are 19, and millions of dollars with only a risk of maybe a broken bone somewhere along the way, maybe not even that... sounds AMAZING.

The point people are missing is why must they be told? Who are these people who don't know anything about how the human brain works? I'm sorry but to not know IMO shows either a lack of common sense or straight up stupidity. All these guys are well aware concussions are common. Have been since the beginning of the sport. Memory loss wasn't discovered 10 years ago. Neither were half the issues associated with brain trauma. CTE is the new hot word but that's only 1 form of brain trauma. Info on concussions has been out here for years. They chose to take the leagues word for it. That's on them for not doing the research. The NFL isn't the only place on Earth the information is available. Randle played in the internet age. Google it. Very simple. The NFL doesn't control the health industry. They haven't suppressed the info from every health organization on Earth.

Even knowing the risk right now we have a league that has no problem filling a 53 man roster with practice squads and players who would sign up to play right now.

Last edited:
The players knew that they were gonna get hurt, but most of them didn't know the risks would affect their brain, they all probably thought they would get some arthritis or bones broken, but not losing their mind like what happened to Junior Seau.

That's why all these CTE and concussion stuff is major news now to these players and they are becoming aware of it.

I think the NFL is gonna die in 20 years

General pop is just finding out about the risks of concussions. It'll take the next generation to see the effect of this.

I have family and friends who don't want their sons anywhere near football now.

It'll be interesting to see how all this turns out in 15-20yrs

The point people are missing is why must they be told? Who are these people who don't know anything about how the human brain works? I'm sorry but to not know IMO shows either a lack of common sense or straight up stupidity. All these guys are well aware concussions are common. Have been since the beginning of the sport. Memory loss wasn't discovered 10 years ago. Neither were half the issues associated with brain trauma. CTE is the new hot word but that's only 1 form of brain trauma. Info on concussions has been out here for years. They chose to take the leagues word for it. That's on them for not doing the research. The NFL isn't the only place on Earth the information is available. Randle played in the internet age. Google it. Very simple. The NFL doesn't control the health industry. They haven't suppressed the info from every health organization on Earth.
Not every player is smart like us or you :lol:
They still deserve to know the risks though and I'm sure half of them will still play

General pop is just finding out about the risks of concussions. It'll take the next generation to see the effect of this.

just out of curiosity where are you located?

because i feel like the people you speak of are not in middle america or the southern states like florirda, texas, alabama where its just a way of life.

not knocking what youre saying. im from NYC so i can relate to those feelings

but i cant see any health news or warnings deter those people from making their kids play

No way my kid will see a football field

Except punting :pimp:

Not every player is smart like us or you :lol:
They still deserve to know the risks though and I'm sure half of them will still play

Probably more, and that's fine. But the NFL should be finding out all they can and fully disclosing the workplace hazards to their employees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom