OFFICIAL NFL Discussion Thread: 2015-16 Season - Congrats to the Denver Broncos and their fans! SB 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
So?

Most great players play with other great players and help elevate the play of others.

Having Peyton helped Marvin Harrison but having a great receiver like Harrison helped Peyton's development too.

Just like Terrell Owens having a mentor like Jerry Rice and receiving passes from Steve Young helped.

so what is your argument here, Harrison is a better player than TO?

So?

Most great players play with other great players and help elevate the play of others.

Having Peyton helped Marvin Harrison but having a great receiver like Harrison helped Peyton's development too.

Just like Terrell Owens having a mentor like Jerry Rice and receiving passes from Steve Young helped.

so what is your argument here, Harrison is a better player than TO?

That's it's not a big deal that Marvin Harrison got in before Terell Owens.

Especially when they are pretty comparable players.

The general problem IMO is that there's many WRs being inducted compared to other "skill" positions (QB, RB). For example, prior to this year, there had not been any QBs inducted since 2006 while there had been 7 WRs inducted. There's been only 1 modern-era (my "modern" era, which is post-1989) TE, Shannon Sharpe. Yes, I'm picking and choosing these numbers a little, but I feel like all modern-era QBs who deserve it have made it, but there is a backlog of WRs and uncertainty with RBs, especially since they tend to have shorter careers, so it's harder to judge their body of work.

As the game has shifted to the pass, there should be more WRs inducted, but it may take some time to calibrate towards something more fair.

edit: Last thing to add -- in the modern era (post-1989), every QB got in first ballot. Maybe half the RBs are first ballot. Only one WR (Rice) is 1st ballot.

Last edited:
Peyton's goons and HGH allegations should be getting more press, but I guess the narrative of him closing out his career w/ a SB win trumps all.

In all seriousness, it's crazy how this was pretty much swept under the rug. But I'm sure that someone will make mention of Cam stealing laptops when he was 18.

TO is a perfect example of the bias the media plays in the HOF voting process. It's also another reason why someone like Calvin Johnson probably has a better chance at being a 1st ballot HOFer when the time comes. I'm in no way saying it's right or fair, but when you give guys like Peter King the ability to decide who ultimately gets enshrined, this is the result.

Actually King is very good about ignoring off field activity

TO is a perfect example of the bias the media plays in the HOF voting process. It's also another reason why someone like Calvin Johnson probably has a better chance at being a 1st ballot HOFer when the time comes. I'm in no way saying it's right or fair, but when you give guys like Peter King the ability to decide who ultimately gets enshrined, this is the result.

Actually King is very good about ignoring off field activity

He's also good at ignoring on-field performance.

Feel free to add detail, otherwise I don't care that much

Edit - not trying to sound like a jerk it's just not a huge deal to me either way. I just mentioned that King isn't one to hold off field issues against the player

Last edited:
man, I don't know how these guys on nfln talked about this stuff over and over and over for two weeks.

Feel free to add detail, otherwise I don't care that much

Edit - not trying to sound like a jerk it's just not a huge deal to me either way. I just mentioned that King isn't one to hold off field issues against the player

Peter King’s Anti-Monk Campaign

For many years King has said that Monk doesn’t deserve to be in the Hall. He based his view on first-hand experience, since King covered the New York Giants from 1985-1988, and the Giants played the ******** nine times during that span. There are a few problems with this. What about the other 215 Games Monk played? The ******** fared significantly worse against the Giants those years than they did against the rest of the league. In fact, Bill Parcells’ Giants beat Joe Gibbs’ ******** six straight times at one point and nine of the last 11 times they played. Still, in 1991, then-Cleveland Browns coach Bill Belichick, who ran the Giants defense in the late 80s, said, “I think Monk is one of the great receivers ever to play the game. I wish the damn guy would retire and I told him that in the preseason. The sooner the better for me.” Who knows more, Belichick or King?

King says Monk was the “third or fourth most dangerous skill player on those teams.” Quite frankly, King either doesn’t understand Monk’s greatness and importance to the ******** or he refuses to acknowledge it. One of the many major flaws in King’s argument is that he fails to take into consideration the fact that Clark and Sanders simply didn’t have hands as good as Monk. As great as Clark was, he dropped his fair share of passes, and Sanders dropped even more. And part of the reason Clark and Sanders made big plays was because Monk often had safeties ready to meet Monk in the middle of the field. If you don’t believe that, then do you really think a 5-10, 180 lb cornerback would be able to bring down the 6-3, 210-pound Monk by himself? Charlie Brown was a very good receiver for the ******** in the early ‘80s too. But Monk is the constant.

Let’s also remember that Clark and Sanders each played eight seasons for the ******** and when they left the team they were unproductive without Monk. Doesn’t longevity count for anything or should Monk be penalized for it? Longevity benefited Joiner, but apparently it hurts Monk. King notes that Clark had more speed than Monk. Well, Monk had more size than Clark, better hands, and more longevity. Monk ran his routes flawlessly and was a much better blocker than Clark. Why does King focus on just one aspect of receiving – speed – in which Clark and Sanders surpassed Monk? Finally, Monk holds the distinction of being the only ******** receiver to gain 1000 yards in receptions for three consecutive seasons.

I’m not sure why Monk gets held to a higher standard than other players (actually, I have a theory, so read on). Other players aren’t penalized because they played with other great or very good receivers. Swann and John Stallworth didn’t get barred from the Hall because they played together – they’re both in there, and the Steelers had three other Hall of Famers on that offense, two of them at skill positions, Terry Bradshaw and Franco Harris. Could it be the snappy alliteration of “Swann and Stallworth?” Or maybe it was the poetic name of “Lynn Swann.” Understand, I’m not saying they don’t belong, but they don’t belong in ahead of Monk. Alongside, yes. Ahead of, no. Fred Biletnikoff didn’t get barred from the Hall because he played across a faster Cliff Branch who led the league in TD receptions twice – 13 in 1974 and 12 in 1976. James Lofton wasn’t hurt by the fact that he played early in his career with John Jefferson and later with Andre Reed, Hall of Fame running back Thurman Thomas and Hall of Fame quarterback Jim Kelly. He had the advantage of playing in a no-huddle, almost run and shoot type system at the end of his career with the Super Bowl Bills. Joiner at various times played with John Jefferson, Wes Chandler and Kellen Winslow. Cris Carter certainly won’t be hurt by the fact that he played four seasons with Randy Moss.

Link

Nike would make a killing if they dropped these again

I'm rockin' it today, as I do every game.

5 hours away from kickoff!
smokin.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom